Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ring Of Honor General Discussion

Reality Champ

Ring Of Honor General Discussion

Adam Cole is the new champion, and has completed his slow heel turn. It also looks like they're starting an angle where a lot of the wrestlers (not just the heels) get fed up with Nigel.

A Professional Sort Of
    Do you know where I could find some past Pay Per Views of Ring Of Honor?

I don't know if they have any DVD's in Australia...

I tried to watch that last thing, Death Before Dishonor, and I couldn't finish it. Got to the end of Forever Hooligans/American Wolves and just had to turn it off. Everybody in those first few matches wrestled like the oxygen around them had turned into molasses. The show had no life to it at all up to that point, and the action was just bleh at best. Cole/Ciampa started off well and then quickly became the regular ROH head-drop/head kick bullshit where everyone uses pseudo-finishers as midmatch transition moves. It was not fun to watch.

Don't know how the rest of the show went but I heard it was only marginally better, if that much. Glad Cole is champ because the dude has earned it, but if he doesn't bring some life to the belt and ROH as a whole, I'm probably not watching a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Millenium Winnebago View Post
    Do you know where I could find some past Pay Per Views of Ring Of Honor?

I don't know if they have any DVD's in Australia...
    You can find them on Ring of Honor's website:

rohwrestling.com

Malachi Constant Jr.
    The Cole/Ciampa match seemed to stick out of the rest of the tournament matches where they were using Avalanche Air Raid Crashes and pseudo-Burning Hammers as nearfall moves. I don't get 'indied out' a lot, but I definitely felt it during that match. Cole/Elgin was much better.

This belt...is so fucking dope.

Reality Champ
    Has to be a Chris Hero return right? From an Adam Cole blog post (I added the boldings):

In the past I have learned first hand from people like Eddie Edwards but there is one man whose opinion I value in the highest regard. A man who taught me that if I want to be the best, if I want to be the Ring of Honor World Champion, I have to take matters into my own hands. He is someone who has been all over the world and even though he never won the ROH World Title when he was an active competitor in ROH, without his advice and inspiration, I would not hold this title. He is someone who was treated unfairly by the system even though he is a real champion... he is a king . A hero to me and his extreme advice motivated me to back down from nobody.

Fortunately my friend has more time on his hands now and with Final Battle approaching, I can think of no better place for him to witness all of his teachings come to life. His return will blow the roof off of the Hammerstein Ballroom guaranteed. I invite him to come to NYC and watch with pride as I stand atop the wrestling world as THE man.

Reality Champ
    Oh good god AJ Styles....(Or Roddy, but AJ too)

http://deadspin.com/botched-wrestlin...bre-1495028761

That was all Roddy's fault.

DBPanterA
    So, I was watching the newest episode of Ring of Honor this evening (my market airs it on both Saturday and Sunday night).

Anyways, here is a direct quote from Maria Kanellis, who is still smokin' hot:

"I will take pile drivers from men."

Don't mind if I do......

Henchman 21
    The House of Truth has gone Lethal and I love it.

Last time i checked Steen and Cliff Comption were feuding. Now they are tagging. ... what happened?

Also Michael Elgin vs Okada ... Seriously? Who booked that?

RoH announced they will be putting on a PPV soon.

With the advent of the Network, this just seems like "too little, too late" to me. I mean, they might as well go all out and make a game for Playstation II seeing as it's 2001 and all.

All kidding aside, I'm not sure I'm going to order it, but I really hope their TV markets expand and I can get back into the show.

Reality Champ
    Nah, this is a big deal. They're not making a play at WWE, no company is. But to make a play for the #2 slot with TNA vulnerable, they had to have a stable way to have Pay-Per-Views. They've been failing miserably on the iPPV front, so this is big.

This is a big deal? No its not.

If the ROH PPVS were 10 - 15 bucks a pop that would be a solid alternative to iPPVS at the same price. 25 bucks for a current ROH PPV tho? Nah man. It didn't work when Gabe tried it and it wont work when these dudes try it. [It wasn't live. Yada yada yada. Been there done that.] That and not only will it be on PPV but it will be on the site and uStream as well. What incentive is there to buy at 25 bucks a pop? 25 bucks for a 3 hour show or 60 bucks for 6 months of The Network...

Yeah this isn't a big deal at all. Most of the people I know who watch ROH are scratching their fucking head.

I haven't watched anything ROH related in around a year. Is it worth getting back into? Probably not, since it would be time away from the Network, but you never know.

Outside of the split shows with NJPW they have been pretty boring. PWG is the way to go. Has been for the past 3 years.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    This is a big deal? No its not.

If the ROH PPVS were 10 - 15 bucks a pop that would be a solid alternative to iPPVS at the same price. 25 bucks for a current ROH PPV tho? Nah man. It didn't work when Gabe tried it and it wont work when these dudes try it. [It wasn't live. Yada yada yada. Been there done that.] That and not only will it be on PPV but it will be on the site and uStream as well. What incentive is there to buy at 25 bucks a pop? 25 bucks for a 3 hour show or 60 bucks for 6 months of The Network...

Yeah this isn't a big deal at all. Most of the people I know who watch ROH are scratching their fucking head.
    Why do you think it'll be on the site and uStream as well? Did I miss something in the release?

Super Moderator
    It's a little confusing.

On the one hand, there's suddenly a void to be filled in the wrestling PPV market. One of the PPV carriers has already specified that they're going to continue to work with and carry professional wrestling Pay Per Views, just not WWE.

On the other, where WWE goes, so to does the wrestling industry. Traditional PPV might just be a dying concept when it comes to pro wrestling, especially with a company whose biggest audience is still online, many of whom might not bother with cable.

It's not to say that ROH needs to launch a network, but this seems almost a little backwards. WWE suddenly takes the business into the digital age and starts driving their fans to the Internet (where ROH is readily available) and encouraging people to watch PPV content online...so ROH hops offline?

Unless the PPV providers are offering them on hell of a deal just to stick it to McMahon, it's hard to image why they'd want to split their focus rather than devoting 100% of their infrastructure to iPPV.

If it's gonna be on Ustream, then I don't see live PPV remotely worth it. It could be better quality but when most of your audience is online, they're going to order the PPV at the cheapest price.

If it's not on the site or Ustream, then it could work but how many buys would they need to make a profit? You know the Cable/Sat companies are taking a piece.

A bigger deal would have been an announcement of a National Tv show. Yeah it's online and its sinclair syndicated but I don't have a Sinclair station.

Reality Champ
    I mean, the problem with Ustream is if they'll actually get it to work. They still haven't had a successful iPPV broadcast in the past couple years, right?

As noted above, I'm way out of the ROH loop, but I did used to be one of their strongest supporters on this site, especially when I was writing for the MP, and they used to be my favorite promotion. At that time, I did order one or two of their PPV events and refused to read results beforehand. After the events that caused me to stop being a viewer at all, much less a regular one, and the highly publicized ippv problems, it's hard for me to believe they are going to get a large audience now for these PPV events.

Yeah but that was with GFL. Also, I think the deal with Ustream is deal together workng with NJPW. I've heard of no problems with NJPW shows on Ustream.

Reality Champ
    I didn't know if they were getting the full tech support for the shows besides the NJPW shows. If that's the case, then yeah, this is more of a cosmetic move than anything.

Super Moderator
    Yeah, the NJPW shows apparently run without any errors and are available on demand as soon as the PPV ends for those who aren't able to watch live.

Xan, what events made you leave ROH?

DBPanterA
    Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    I haven't watched anything ROH related in around a year. Is it worth getting back into? Probably not, since it would be time away from the Network, but you never know.
    As someone that has somewhat secretly been watching both TNA and ROH for the past year (I was disappointed in what WWE was offering after WM29 and just added more wrestling to the schedule), I would say I really wouldn't bother. Yes, I do not have the emotional attachment to both TNA or ROH as I have not watched their respective organizations for a long period of time, but to me it always feels that both are essentially the minor leagues compared to the spectacle of the big leagues of WWE. I also view it a lot of the time as "who here could be in the WWE?" I just don't see many current ROH guys having success in the WWE as there are other wrestlers on the current WWE roster that fill a very similar role. I enjoy a few of the ROH guys, in regards to what they can do in the ring, but I am never really blown away by the product, which to me often times has little to no psychology, and is filled with spots in matches to garner a pop. The other thing that kind of drives me up the wall in regards to both TNA and ROH is how their crowds will use WWE chants or catchphrases and do not come up chants/catchphrases that are more applicable to the wrestlers in the ring.

My market airs ROH at 10 PM Saturday and 1 AM Monday.

I know some may through some venom my way, but I gave both organizations a try without reading what was going on. My lack of interest really fell off after I attended the Elimination Chamber PPV as the spectacle of a live WWE event has no equal and they put on an incredible experience.

The appeal of ROH was to be an alternative to what WWE is..Ten years ago, it was a niche product that appealed to those who wanted something different with talent on the rise. I haven't really followed ROH since the Steen/Generico feud ended but when I watch wrestling that's not WWE, I don't want the WWE feel or imitation. I want great wrestling and a fun product to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Yeah, the NJPW shows apparently run without any errors and are available on demand as soon as the PPV ends for those who aren't able to watch live.

Xan, what events made you leave ROH?
    It was really just kind of a gradual falling away from it that kind of started with their change in not only booker, but booking philosophy, but continued due to guys I really enjoyed leaving the company, such as Danielson and McGuinness, guys I didn't care for much ascending in the company--especially Eddie Edwards--, the death of Alex Whybrow, my dislike of the Briscoes and their continual reign on top the tag division, a bunch of stupid things when said like that I guess, but I was generally dissatisfied with the product and just wasn't enjoying it anymore, so I stopped watching. I've watched a few things here and there over the last two or three years, but even when Richards and Steen who I am a fan of got the strap, it still didn't spur me to get back into watching regularly.

Jay Briscoe as ROH champ was good stuff.

Court Bauer tweeted that the PPVS would still be on the website and uStream right after they tweeted the announcement.

Yeah. You told me that before. I need to look for some of that stuff. Any suggested shows?

Henchman 21
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Last time i checked Steen and Cliff Comption were feuding. Now they are tagging. ... what happened?

Also Michael Elgin vs Okada ... Seriously? Who booked that?
    Outlaw Inc (Eddie Kingston and Homicide) took out Compton for Steen and asked him to join them. He turned them down and they jumped him. Nigel set up a match right there and Steen beat Homicide and Outlaw Inc jumped him after. Compton came out to save him which I guess set up them teaming. I am guessing Compton is in Outlaw Inc and will turn on Steen.

As for RoH doing a PPV in a way the timing is right. With TNA doing less and WWE switching theirs to the NETWORK wrestling fans might have extra money to spend on one and check out RoH. A strong PPV for them might help them get more exposure on regular TV.

So, Global Wars, I’m glad I didn’t pay for it. I mean sure, it was good enough but fuck it was poorly booked. There was so much wasted talent. Global Skirmish.

ACH is a superstar and Bennett held his own I guess. The match was solid, one of my favorite outings by ACH and shows he is more than a high flyer. ACH has had a hell of a 6 months and is quickly becoming one of my favorite talents not signed to the big club.

Takaaki Watanabe vs Michael Elgin was lackluster. Elgin’s heart didn’t seem in it and Watanabe has never shown me anything to prove he is an up and comer. This is the guy you chose to wrestle Styles for the IWGP gold? Fuck, they should have jobbed out Steen (seems he is on his way out but Ill get to that in a minute. God I do love Elgin’s Delayed German tho. Fuck that’s good stuff but the match was given too much time.

The 3 way tag was ehhh. I am really starting to dislike BJ, I feel like the Briscoes completely phoned it in, and I want to break up ReDragon.

Roderick Strong vs Cedric Alexander kept their feud moving. I really like Roddy’s heel work. Cedric Alexander dislocated his shoulder and finished the match. Hes the real deal.

ROH World Television Title match was flippy overbooked and an indy spotfest the likes of which I despise. This match was a waste of solid talent. I much would have rathered Jay Lethal and Tomasso Chiamapa wrestle the fuck out of Shinsuke Nakamura & Jado, This is what I mean about piss poor booking. You should have put over the New Japan guys (for the most part) and then gotten better use of the talent.

Shinsuke Nakamura & Jado vs Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin Liger was a pedestrian tag match and a waste of all involved. Shinsuke Nakamura is over as fuck in NYC. I dunno why. Hiroshi Tanahashi was criminally underused. I would have given a left toe to see Liger’s team back up Cedric against the Decade saying that they have seen his work and are impressed. That way you give Liger the pin (hurts no one in the Decade) give the NJPW guys the rub AND put over one of your talents to boot. I just would have done it differently but there might have been egos involved. Jushin Liger is a bigger legend in the states the he is in japan.

Ok now to the real cream of the night.

Time Splitters are OVER. Shelley has such a serious ROH following.
    The Bucks are not over enough (also both the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Champions and ROH World Tag Team Champions – I’m a Bullet Club Baby)

Chain wrestling always gets a pop from me. ECW rubbed off, I love it when it happens. The match was seriously amazing. The guys bumped their asses off for eachother. Everyone had a chance to get their stuff in. It was Crusier spotty without becoming a spotfest. It told a story without being overbooked. I dislike most jr. matches (Devitt not included) and I really was surprised with how much I enjoyed this. The ROH crowd would have popped for an Indy spotfest but they really fought that urge well. It was really a collection of masters of their craft trying to steal the show. Show Stolen.

AJ Styles doesn’t know how to be a heel. He needs schooling. I love the Bullet Club. Okada is surprisingly over in Canada. The match was significantly better then I thought it would be. I really like how solid machine gun is and it really helps AJ. Have I mentioned how much I hate AJ using Devitt’s finisher as a set up move for his Styles Clash?

Steen can dish out a beating. A pretty good brawl over all. Tons of great near falls but the finish was brutal. Cole needs a real finisher. They were using superkicks all night and the finish was a superkick … bad booking but overall a solid match.

why Michael Bennett run out to interfere?

Oh and one kind of meta point or two. Corino does such a great job putting over the Japanese talent. If I was New Japan (and depending on what their numbers look like) id think about hiring one of those podcast studios and setting up Corino and a play by play guy in a studio, giving them a 5 min delay and letting them do commentary on NJPW IPPVs on Youstream.

New Japan brought their own refs. That is so cool.

The ring seemed small … Is the ROH ring always that size? Also the ring and the crowd are miced really well at this event. The ring had really great sound even if it was a little bouncy.

Luke Gallows was missed, but he was getting married, so he has been excused.

Overall, im glad I didnt buy it. It had structural flaws and no amount of solid wrestling could save it. Some of the matches were alright though.

Reality Champ
    Bennett has been aligning himself with Cole lately. He's helped him in several matches over the past few months, including the Ladder War at SCOH.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    Bennett has been aligning himself with Cole lately. He's helped him in several matches over the past few months, including the Ladder War at SCOH.
    So is Hardy, Cole and Bennett a faction?

Reality Champ
    So is Hardy, Cole and Bennett a faction?
    Not an official faction, they haven't really fleshed that out yet, but Hardy and Bennett certainly seem to have Cole's back.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    Not an official faction, they haven't really fleshed that out yet, but Hardy and Bennett certainly seem to have Cole's back.
    Right, but what was the PURPOSE, Mike Bennett at your next event is going to wrestle one of the top guys in NJPW. He is felled by a single package piledriver. Who did it help?

Reality Champ
    Oh, I'm not saying it makes sense for Bennett to be with Cole, or for Bennett to be felled a package piledriver. Though I'd argue that running in that role doesn't affect his credibility one way or the other. But it's pretty status quo for a Cole match at this point.

Cole is hateible tho.

Super Moderator
    Right, but what was the PURPOSE, Mike Bennett at your next event is going to wrestle one of the top guys in NJPW. He is felled by a single package piledriver. Who did it help?
    Fuck that, a single piledriver should be a finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Fuck that, a single piledriver should be a finish.
    That would be true if the Cole/Steen match wasnt a parade of near falls and finishes (and ended with a single superkick)