Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ring Of Honor General Discussion

So your premise is that a superkick can end a match, but a piledriver shouldn't knock a man out?

Super Moderator
    One thing that I can't past in RoH is when they have these hard-hitting matches with finishers and nearfalls and they end in something innocuous like a small package or a transition move.

I get what they're trying (trying to avoid the "obvious" finish) but it takes me out of the show entirely and it's such an anticlimactic ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    One thing that I can't past in RoH is when they have these hard-hitting matches with finishers and nearfalls and they end in something innocuous like a small package or a transition move.

I get what they're trying (trying to avoid the "obvious" finish) but it takes me out of the show entirely and it's such an anticlimactic ending.
    Agreed.

I know people shit on WWE whenever they do the multiple finishers ending, and I'll agree that it's not the best, but it's nowhere near as stupid as these indy finisher fests that end with nonsense. It makes sense that it might take 3 Stunners to take a guy out. It doesn't make sense that after 3 Stunners, it's a SuperKick from a guy who doesn't use it as a finisher that ends it.

And, while I'll admit I don't watch much independent wrestling anymore, when I did, I always found that it was extremely rare that a match was memorable, or that the ending stuck with me. Lots of great matches, but they were not the memories that stuck with me like Warrior pinning Hogan after a missed leg drop, or Cena making HHH tap.

Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    So your premise is that a superkick can end a match, but a piledriver shouldn't knock a man out?
    The point is, and the reason I didnt like the match ( i mean it was alright) is because the string of near falls shows that 3 piledrivers didnt take out your champion then One shouldnt. There were 15 superkicks in the three way tag earlier in the night and not one ended a match. Then, for the final match on your card, a superkick does it? Seriously?

I believe Adam Cole should have beat Kevin Steen with that inverted DDT that he uses after that Superkick? Then boom no problem. How many Superkicks did the young bucks use on the undercard? That is your finish to your main event? Its not OK.

I dont have a problem with multiple finishers (some of the best matches I saw in Japanese wrestling had it down to a science) but they are really hard to do in order to be impactful and if you do them every match then it lessens their impact. When it happens all over the card then it devalues the move.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 05-16-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Superkicks and Ace Crushers shouldn't be allowed as finishing moves on the Indys anymore. Period. They are done by everyone in some variation.

I completely agree the ending to that match was ridiculous. I think the sequence towards the beginning where Steen gets super kicked in the knee off the turnbuckle would have worked much better as a finish if Cole had worked over the knee all match or if Steen couldn't get him up for the piledriver and got rolled up because of it. The ending to that match stunk something awful.

Gotta say, I really enjoyed War of the worlds. Enough to want to give ROH some of my money again.

I'm going to start watching it tomorrow night.

Home From Work, I got my digital recording (so glad i paid for this) and I am getting ready to do a few hours of ROH followed by Monday Night Raw.

Reality Champ
    Bad Influence is going to be at the next ROH PPV. I like how they had to censor Kazarian until his contract officially runs out.

One thing I'll say about the current ROH product: Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino have the TNA and WWE announce tans beat by a mile.

I may be in the minority but I hate Kevin Kelly and Corino is spotty, sometimes good sometimes bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I may be in the minority but I hate Kevin Kelly and Corino is spotty, sometimes good sometimes bad.
    I also hate Kevin Kelly. I think part of Corino's weakness is sometimes he is forced to do play by play. I think Steve does much better than i expect.

Steve Corino was VERY good on the NJPW talent these 2 IPPVs.

Not that i want a JR type guy on ROH but Kevin Kelly puts me in a coma while listening to him. The wrestling in ring is frantic and Kelly doesnt convey that to me the viewer.

Kevin Kelly is the shits.

Reality Champ
    Just got back from the Tag Wars TV tapings. All I have to say is that you guys are in for a treat during the Young Bucks/Sydal and ACH match, and the Tag Wars Finals.

Anyone else watching Final Battle tonight?

a match here and there

Reality Champ
    I get to see Joe make his return to ROH next week! I'm pumped.

I dig it.

Double post but I wanted to say that I thought the RoH show was pretty damn good. Sydal/Alexander good opener, Styles/ACH, Bucks/Redragon were fantastic and fun to watch. Main event was hindered a bit by a clusterfuck but I'm looking forward to Joe vs. Briscoe again.

I liked the show. I might go more into detail soon but here are a few thoughts.

Dude the announcers killed it. Solid work. Matt Sydal greatly improved in the WWE and his storytelling is top notch. I think the Triple Threat Tag match was hurt without Gallows but it told a cool story. Mike Bennett and Matt Taven got something coming to them. I dont get the whole Moose thing. Styles hitting Bloody Sunday in his US matches now is awesome. Styles playing the vet and allowing ACH to shine as the more athletic star is good work and i think both guys came out looking great. AJ is really a much better wrestler than I gave him credit for. ACH really shined in this match. The Bucks match was fine but it was usual Bucks fare. Meltzer Driver on the floor should ALWAYS finish a match. Samoa Joe is beloved by that audience and i hope people take notice. The overbooked finish of the main event hurts more because of what ROH used to represent as a brand.

Im more interested in Roppungi Vice than i am for Joe Vs Briscoe

Reality Champ
    Moose is such a freak athlete, something that ROH really doesn't have, so I'm all for whatever push he has before the WWE comes knocking.

Any guesses on the Knights of the Rising Dawn?

The kingdom.

Hat tip to Jimmy Jacobs. heres hoping he can stay clean in a company that drug tests.

Yay COLBY CORINO IN ROH!!!

American Tiger

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Hat tip to Jimmy Jacobs. heres hoping he can stay clean in a company that drug tests.
    Do they drug test for writers?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    Do they drug test for writers?
    My job does.

Except he has never had a drug problem. He has gone on record stating his "Drug Issues" were a work and only part of his gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    Except he has never had a drug problem. He has gone on record stating his "Drug Issues" were a work and only part of his gimmick.
    Really? When? I thought he had a shoot addiction to painkillers which he exaggerated for sympathy.

Nope. He mentioned it being a work on The Kevin Steen Show and Gabe backed it up on his Steen show as well. Said he has nights he might drink a bit much but outside of that he doesn't do drugs.

Wow, i saw Finding Zach Gowen recently and Jimmy seemed like an addict in that (and even told a drug story). Talk about living the gimmick. Hat tip for that shit.

Oh is Tomasso Ciampa done with ROH?
    Last edited by Irishsara; 03-31-2015 at 11:09 PM.

Download Best Friends with Teddy Hart. Might be the best shoot video ever. Every story Teddy starts takes a hard left immediately.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    Any guesses on the Knights of the Rising Dawn?
    So...what's the policy on TV taping spoilers? Because we got our answer, and it's a good one.

I saw them. That's pretty cool.

Reality Champ
    Really strong first day for War of the Worlds:

The Addiction vs. Kingdom (w/ Maria) vs. Young Bucks

Michael Elgin vs. Tetsuya Naito

ReDRagon vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin Thunder Liger

Delirious vs. Gedo

Roderick Strong vs. KUSHIDA

Jay Lethal (w/ Truth Martini) vs. Takaaki Watanabe

Adam Cole vs. AJ Styles

The Briscoes vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazuchika Okada

Thats a great card. Id pay good money to see The Briscoe Brothers vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazuchika Okada

I also dig how high up on the card Jay Lethal (w/ Truth Martini) vs. Takaaki Watanabe is. Id rather see KUSHIDA vs Lethal but I think Takaaki Watanabe has nothing but upside. In a few years he will be a big deal.

I just want to point out the success of Ring of Honor stars in the WWE. Its REALLY remarkable and I think its really cool. It shows the potential of being the top indy in the US can provide a launching pad to the big time.

Tyler Black is your current WWE World Champion.

Kevin Steen is NXT Champion

Bryan Danielson is Intercontinental Champion (And a former World Champion)

Claudio Castignoli is your Tag Team Champion along with Tyson Kidd (who worked at least one ROH show as TJ Wilson in 2003)
    Last edited by Irishsara; 04-24-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Reality Champ
    Anyone else heading to Philly this week for the shows?

Reality Champ
    Night 1 was fantastic. Strong/Kushia stole the show, Cole/Styles was ridiculous and the main event was pretty much everything.