Thread: Billy Corgan Buying NWA

Billy Corgan Buying NWA

Yes indeed- Corgan is not done with rasslin just because he didn't win TNA... The Smashing Pumpkin is looking to own the NWA without the Eazy E! This is big news to me.
    Don't Touch That Dial!

Protector of the Oomph
    I'd rather own NWA over TNA any day. I hope he does so, and I hope he seeks to restore the brand to what it used to be, at least in terms of the honor it was to pro wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by shane
    I'd rather own NWA over TNA any day. I hope he does so, and I hope he seeks to restore the brand to what it used to be, at least in terms of the honor it was to pro wrestling.
    That's one tall order.

That is a tall order. I'm honestly not even looking for all of that. The reports say that he will not own any libraries- just the name and the titles. Maybe he can only mention the lineage in passing, and that's it. He won't have a TV show for it up and running by the end of the year. Looking at how he tried to help TNA, Corgan is very deliberate with his approach, and he will only try to make the wisest moves possible.

He doesn't need to recreate the magic of old for NWA. In fact, I'd prefer that he not even try that, because there's just as much bad as there is good in its history. If he can just manage to build a promotion with the letters, score a TV slot and be consistent and innovative with his approach to booking, I'd be a happy camper. It may be a while before we find out what the next move is, but I can't help but be excited and optimistic about this move.
    Don't Touch That Dial!

Quote Originally Posted by JSR-13
    That is a tall order. I'm honestly not even looking for all of that. The reports say that he will not own any libraries- just the name and the titles. Maybe he can only mention the lineage in passing, and that's it. He won't have a TV show for it up and running by the end of the year. Looking at how he tried to help TNA, Corgan is very deliberate with his approach, and he will only try to make the wisest moves possible.

He doesn't need to recreate the magic of old for NWA. In fact, I'd prefer that he not even try that, because there's just as much bad as there is good in its history. If he can just manage to build a promotion with the letters, score a TV slot and be consistent and innovative with his approach to booking, I'd be a happy camper. It may be a while before we find out what the next move is, but I can't help but be excited and optimistic about this move.
    Wish him all the luck. Surprised that WWE didn't manage to acquire the library.

My understanding is that the library is so diverse that WWE has its portion of the NWA title matches like those of Dusty, Flair and Steamboat. Of course TNA/Impact has their years with the titles, and there are other territories out their with their separate libraries. WWE would have to go on a treasure hunt if they wanted it all. I'm interested to see how all of that will pan out once the sale is finalized.
    Don't Touch That Dial!

Super Moderator
    The problem is that it doesn't mean anything.

NWA was never really a thing. There was never an "NWA" video library to begin with. It was a network of territories, each with their own video libraries, that recognized one World Champion, and worked together to strengthen the overall business. Owning the NWA brand in 2017 means next to nothing.

I wish him luck, but it's going to be a long process. There's a lot of talent out there these days, but more and more of it is being signed by NXT, TNA, ROH, LU, etc. It wouldn't surprise me to see this be another GFW.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell
    The problem is that it doesn't mean anything.

NWA was never really a thing. There was never an "NWA" video library to begin with. It was a network of territories, each with their own video libraries, that recognized one World Champion, and worked together to strengthen the overall business. Owning the NWA brand in 2017 means next to nothing.
    I have to remind myself sometimes. Easy to forget when ppl speak of it as one singular promotion, especially when contrasting it w/ WWF in the '80s.

I wish him luck, but it's going to be a long process. There's a lot of talent out there these days, but more and more of it is being signed by NXT, TNA, ROH, LU, etc. It wouldn't surprise me to see this be another GFW.
    Gonna be the main challenge if he intends to handle it as a promotion.

I don't know if I'd say it means next to nothing, I do agree that it will be a long process to bring those three little letters back to prominence. I think the chances of him getting something off the ground with the NWA name are better than starting from scratch with a brand new acronym, though. As someone who watches Impact regularly and has to witness Jarrett pretending as if GFW ever meant anything, I certainly hope that it doesn't follow that same pattern. But I'm optimistic. I believe that Corgan will be a smarter promoter than Double JJ.
    Don't Touch That Dial!

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Aren't there multiple indy NWA territories running today? Should Billy contact them?

Quote Originally Posted by phemom View Post
    Aren't there multiple indy NWA territories running today? Should Billy contact them?
    Indeed there are, and I believe Billy has held a conference call with them recently. Not a whole lot of details from it, but I'm sure something will come about.

It may be a knock to the hustle of the people running the indy territories, but I believe a consolidation is in order and is needed. If he has big plans for the company, I can't see him accomplishing them while there's an "NWA Wildside Indiana" or a bunch of other little satellite promotions using the three letters running around. Not to say that there needs to be an end put to them, because it can't hurt to have a promotion or venue of any size to play with, but I imagine that there will be an attempt to pull it all up under one umbrella and establishing a hierarchy from the indy level to the national and/or international stage. Recognize one world champ (as well as the women's, tag, junior heavyweight champs); let the indies retain their autonomy and suggest who's ready for promotion to the next stage, so on and so forth.
    Don't Touch That Dial!

Quote Originally Posted by JSR-13
    Indeed there are, and I believe Billy has held a conference call with them recently. Not a whole lot of details from it, but I'm sure something will come about.

It may be a knock to the hustle of the people running the indy territories, but I believe a consolidation is in order and is needed. If he has big plans for the company, I can't see him accomplishing them while there's an "NWA Wildside Indiana" or a bunch of other little satellite promotions using the three letters running around. Not to say that there needs to be an end put to them, because it can't hurt to have a promotion or venue of any size to play with, but I imagine that there will be an attempt to pull it all up under one umbrella and establishing a hierarchy from the indy level to the national and/or international stage. Recognize one world champ (as well as the women's, tag, junior heavyweight champs); let the indies retain their autonomy and suggest who's ready for promotion to the next stage, so on and so forth.
    I can see your prediction coming true. Would make sense.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    I wouldn't mind pretty much remaking what NWA was by using the same formula if you can get these places to work together. Problem is to get them unified you'll need some guys people everywhere wanna see, and still get them to come back after that guy or gal leaves is hard to find.

If there's a guy out there that doesn't want that WWE check (or burned down their bridge) with some major league talent, hopefully Billy will have the checks for him.

I really think there's room for a mini-major that does some 'WRASSLIN you know. More adult storylines, just a little more violence, long-term storylines with enjoyable payoffs. Impact,TNA & WWE aren't doing all of those things....but there's fans raised off it, so there's money to be made. You just gotta find the talent to get them in the door.

I mean, who's the best wrestler in the world that speaks good english....doesn't want or can't get WWE money and isn't signed to Impact,WWE,ROH or NJPW? THAT is the guy (and gal for that matter) that Billy needs to find.
    Last edited by phemom; 05-12-2017 at 12:37 AM.

I'd say the 'beauty' of it is that it'd be owned by a single rock star guy as opposed to a corporation with stockholders to answer to. So it would be free to venture into that 'rasslin' territory if he so pleased.

As to the star(s) to build around- I'm sure they're out there- assuming we aren't seeing them now. All they need is the platform and the creative freedom. Billy definitely has the capital to lure them in.
    Don't Touch That Dial!

Super Moderator
    That's the beauty of the old NWA model, though. Corgan doesn't have to sign anyone. You ensure that NWA member organizations are legit, and you establish working relationships with one or two majors to mine stars from.

The day-to-day leg work can be done by the individual promotions. All Corgan has to do is sign whomever the Champions are at a given time to short-term, exclusive contracts (six months at a time, maybe) that would keep them bound to NWA member groups. Maybe pay them a small downside to keep 'em, plus whatever they can earn per appearance with member organizations. NWA is, at its core, a group of promotions that recognize one top World Heavyweight Champion.

Corgan can run NWA Superstars of Wrestling or something less likely to get sued over where he uses the top guys in the top member promotions on a national scale (TV deal, iPPV, whatever) to make his money and be "his" promotion.

What's going to hurt him is that he needs a carrot. He needs the stars of somewhere like ROH or NJPW to make this work, but has no reason for ROH or NJPW to be willing to get involved with him (you'd have to pay him dues to be a member of the NWA and likely only use NWA-affiliated talent). You need a legit national TV deal or something major to prompt these organizations to come on board.

The other option, that I've always thought would do okay, is a TV show where you feature the various NWA promotions. So you might have a WHC defense from Tennessee and maybe a tag title defense from Portland this week, next week you've got something featuring the top heel in NWA that's going to face the WHC on your next NWA Supershow plus a US Title match from LA and a match featuring a top guy from New York. It would be a little scattered, and you'd have to rely on indy promoters getting you TV-quality footage, but it might be a cool concept.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 05-12-2017 at 05:21 PM.

That's the beauty of the old NWA model, though. Corgan doesn't have to sign anyone. You ensure that NWA member organizations are legit, and you establish working relationships with one or two majors to mine stars from.

The day-to-day leg work can be done by the individual promotions. All Corgan has to do is sign whomever the Champions are at a given time to short-term, exclusive contracts (six months at a time, maybe) that would keep them bound to NWA member groups. Maybe pay them a small downside to keep 'em, plus whatever they can earn per appearance with member organizations. NWA is, at its core, a group of promotions that recognize one top World Heavyweight Champion.

Corgan can run NWA Superstars of Wrestling or something less likely to get sued over where he uses the top guys in the top member promotions on a national scale (TV deal, iPPV, whatever) to make his money and be "his" promotion.

What's going to hurt him is that he needs a carrot. He needs the stars of somewhere like ROH or NJPW to make this work, but has no reason for ROH or NJPW to be willing to get involved with him (you'd have to pay him dues to be a member of the NWA and likely only use NWA-affiliated talent). You need a legit national TV deal or something major to prompt these organizations to come on board.

The other option, that I've always thought would do okay, is a TV show where you feature the various NWA promotions. So you might have a WHC defense from Tennessee and maybe a tag title defense from Portland this week, next week you've got something featuring the top heel in NWA that's going to face the WHC on your next NWA Supershow plus a US Title match from LA and a match featuring a top guy from New York. It would be a little scattered, and you'd have to rely on indy promoters getting you TV-quality footage, but it might be a cool concept.
    This could work.

I like both of those options, but the second is super appealing. It's kind of what WWE seems to be trying to accomplish with all of the foreign markets, but NWA should have it easier with everything being closer to home.

I'm wondering now if this was always in the plans for Billy to buy the NWA, even as he was looking to own TNA - or is this just his consolation prize to himself?

Would he or should he partner with other promotions like ROH, NJPW, etc and do supershows like ROH and New Japan? Or would he go the WWE route and pretend to exist in his own bubble?

EDIT: The purchase is official (or at least the agreement to purchase). Corgan will own the name, trademarks and the NWA title (I'm assuming also the jr. hw title, women's title and tag titles... right?). He will take over the On Demand service, and also have access to the library owned by the family of Paul Boesch. I've been trying to find out exactly what that library includes, but haven't come across anything yet.
    Last edited by JSR-13; 05-15-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    Don't Touch That Dial!