Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Squared
    3-2 in the end. Each test an annihilation. A shame, because although the sides turned out to be closer than people thought, we didn't really get the great series that many were hoping for. They were all too one sided.

What now for the two teams? Both have a lot of work to do, as neither batted well in this series. I'd be interested to hear the Australian perspective on how they build a new side.

As for England, the only batsmen who are untouchable after this series are Cook, Root, and Ali. Lyth is probably gone. Bairstow will probably keep his place having only just won it back, and I think when you've several uncertainties in your order you don't drop an experienced player like Ian Bell, though there are still question marks about where he should bat. If he is going to bat at 3, he is going to have to learn how to bat at 3 which involves being a bit more sensible. If not, I can see him dropping back to 4 and someone else coming in.

I guess all in all, I'd say we're looking at smaller changes rather than bigger ones first of all. There will be a new opener, and question marks remain over Buttler. But if the new guy can come in and Bell can adapt to playing at 3, then we might not need to change too much.

New opener
    Cook
    Bell
    Root
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Broad
    Wood/Finn
    Anderson

Give that line-up a try, and if Bell doesn't work at 3 then you can move things around. If Bairstow doesn't work longer term then maybe drop Bell to 4 or 5, or if he does, drop Bell entirely and call up a new number 3. I'm sure he could console himself with the memory of his five Ashes wins and his place in the top ten English test run-scorers.

Banned
    In 2016 i see English side as favorites to lift the Ashes trophy 4-0

Squared

The Cricket Thread

I know there's an Ashes thread knocking around that we should probably just get re-titled, but it's not like we're going to get too cluttered in here if we have a general Cricket thread, is it?

So yeah, this is more broad. Anything related to the game of Cricket can go in here. Anything from discussion of any competition, or your own playing. I'm sure we'll even translate the weird lingo for anyone who is confused!

I've started this mainly because the game is on my mind, because I've just moved and joined a club in my new place and the season has just started. I'm working towards getting back to where I used to be. It's interesting, though, because everyone playing for even the second XI is so much better than the standard I am at now, so chances to play in anything other than friendlies might be pretty limited.

Meanwhile, my county team, Warwickshire, have gotten off to an appalling start in the County Championship. Hopefully they've stopped the rot after a draw with Surrey.

I don't really go in much for the One-Day format myself, but I know some people do. Anyone excited for the Champions Trophy in five weeks time?

I'd call myself someone who follows the game pretty keenly, legit had no idea it was that close. I still enjoy the one-day format, more a fan of it domestically but these tournaments make for some good viewing generally. Wouldn't be surprised if Australia go with 4 quicks in most games and use Head/Maxwell as the spinning options.

Looking forward to the Ashes series, need to get my tickets for boxing day sorted.

Squared
    Looks like England and Australia are being made the two favourites for the Champions Trophy. Could be interesting - with them both in the same group they might find themselves playing again in the final. Bit of an Ashes warm-up, I guess.

Speaking of the Ashes, I think we'll need some results against South Africa and the West Indies this summer if we're going to be looking to retain.

Well we're 9 for 9 to kick off our new season for Div 1 indoor cricket. Already talk has started of us going through undefeated. I personally like our chances.

Evidenced by the moronic decision not to start Maxwell in the first two tests in India, they'd have to be bigger idiots not to have him as their spin option for the trophy. I have no problem admitting I got the whitewash wrong. We played some really good cricket over there. And would have won the series if we had stated Maxwell over M Marsh from the start. Also Khawaja needed to be in the team over S Marsh.

The Ashes will certainly be interesting. Can't see England beating South Africa but can see them building momentum with an easy win over the Indies

Squared
    I guess it'll be vital for the Champions Trophy, but how much bearing do you think the Aussie selection will have on their Ashes chances? I mean, do you think they absolutely have to get the entire XI right, or do you feel confident of beating us with a spine of 8 or 9 that even getting the spinner wrong, say, wouldn't make much of a difference?

I know that we've got to be underdogs going down there. We've only won in Australia twice in my lifetime, I think. I suspect we'd need to at least draw the series with South Africa to give us something to build on. I don't think we can do it just off the back of a result against the West Indies.

As we speak, England are 88-2 in reply to Ireland's 127 in a one-day game. Warwickshire have made about as poor a start to the one dayers as they have to the county championship (though they did at least beat Northants).

How many games would you have to get through to go undefeated, and are there any key opponents you can already identify as likely to give you the biggest challenge?

Even though I'm not a big fan of Renshaw, who was born in England mind you, he'll be opening with Warner. Khawaja should be 3. Smith 4. Handscomb 5. Really depends on what they want to do at 6 and if they want that medium pace bowler or spin option. But it should be Maxwell for me. More reliable as a batter and can take the game away from you. Wade will be 7. Lyon is going to be the spinner regardless. So he'll be 9. Starc will bat 8. Hazlewood is 10. And I'd have Cummins at 11. But would be between him and Bird. Highly doubt they change the squad too much if at all from the Indian tour. But Khawaja needs to be in at first drop. I'm confident with a team of Renshaw, Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, Maxwell, Wade, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood and Cummins we will win the Brisbane test. They'll probably drop Lyon for Bird for the WACA test but we should win that too. I think that team will be very hard to beat playing at home.

Well I actually like South Africa to win the Champions Trophy for what it's worth. So it shall be interesting.

We should have about another 13-17 games to go. So the pressure will keep building. We won the first game of the season by a close margin as we had to have 4 fill in players as half the squad couldn't play. And then we beat arguably the second/third best competition two weeks ago by 23 runs. But besides those two games we've won by an even 100, 114, 74, 99, 82, 108 and 83. We're playing Abandon Ship this week who lost to Team Hafruta last week by 57. And Hafruta will be one of the dangers. So we should be winning quite comfortably again this Monday.

Squared
    I'm not 100% on who'll be in for England come the Ashes. I'd still take Cook, as someone who has batted brilliantly in Australian conditions before, to open. Jennings maybe open with him? Root, Moeen Ali and Bairstow will all be in. Stokes, Woakes, Anderson and Broad all go. But still, that's only 9 out of 11, and I'm not entirely sure about some of the batsmen. I guess that's part of the reason that they'll need to play themselves into some kind of form over the summer, to finalise some of those positions.

How different is indoor cricket from the full game?

Well I'll certainly be checking out the South African series to see how you guys do and what squad you decide to put out against them. Not sure how many tests you have against them but I'd venture a guess that your best result against them in a game is the squad you'll probably go with for the first test in Brisbane.

8 players. 16 overs. You have to bowl two overs each. You bat four overs each with your partner. Field is divided in two halves. Front half with three fielders and a keeper, keeper not necessary if you don't want one and want an extra fielder. If you hit the ball and make a run and it doesn't touch the side nets in the front half its just a single. If it touches and you make a run you score two runs. Down the back half you have two fielders, the bowler and the fielder at the back net. If you hit it and it hits the side nets down the back half and you make the run you score three. If it hits the side nets AND the back net and you make the run you score four. If it hits the back net only on the bounce and you make the run you score five. If it hits the back net on the full and you make the run you score seven. You lose five runs for getting out. Dismissals are basically like the full game. Except no LBW unless you're not offering a shot. You can't be given out if you're playing a shot. But where it's different is you can get out by being caught off of any of the side nets. If you hit it off the back net on the full and are caught you're not out, but you can be run out trying to make the single to get the seven runs. So that positive seven can turn into a minus five quite easily. Happens a couple times a game. Infuriating if it happens to you. It's fun fast, take about an hour to an hour ten every game.

Squared
    Sounds interesting. I'm not sure I'd be much good at it, though!

Another good win for England over Ireland and they're establishing themselves as one of the teams who can win the Champions Trophy. And some of the English batsmen are playing their way into some form in the county championship, which could be a good thing for the test matches later in the year. But things are going for bad to worse for my county side, who're struggling badly and looking even at this stage like favourites for relegation.

Won by an even 100 tonight. Was quite a boring game really.

Yeah I saw the win. Wasn't too bad was it? I do think it'll be between Australia, England and South Africa. Would be shocked if two of those three weren't in the final. Can't say I've ever followed the county cricket scene.

I've been following England cricket for far too long to build up any expectation of them at a major tournament. On paper, we've got one of the strongest teams in the world and probably the best side we've ever put together. Regardless of who wins the tournament, I'm really looking forward to it because there are some seriously exciting teams and players these days. From an England perspective, the fact that Jonny Bairstow won't get a game is a testament to how far we've come.

No way they don't take Cook; I think he'll play a few more years for England now he isn't burdened with the captaincy. He's the best batsman we've ever produced; maybe not in terms of flashiness and box-office appeal, but his sheer ability to score runs is unrivalled. The way he's started the season with Essex suggests he is in the mood to just score a shitload of runs this year, so I have no concerns about him slotting back into the ranks.

I've played for a local team since I was 14, and up until this season I was playing every Saturday in a semi-serious league. I've never played indoor cricket - my club does enter it, but it doesn't really appeal. I'm a batsman (not a particularly good one) who prefers to build an innings than slog my way through, so I've not played a lot of T20. Can't bowl for shit, though.

Squared
    I'm no expert on the short-forms as I say, but I think that given the fact they were runners up last time out and have never won the Champions Trophy, it's very much a case of only winning will do. Am I right in thinking that, aside from a T20 World Cup win, we've always come up short in these short form international tournaments?

Interesting that you sound like the complete opposite of me - I'm much more of a bowler. I used to score any runs I could manage by trying to flick it off my pads and then ignoring anything down my offside that could be safely left. But since coming back to it, I'm not even very efficient at that, so a few people - notably the second XI captain - are trying to get me to bat properly now. It's coming along, but pretty damn slowly. Getting back into the swing of bowling much more efficiently.

Been runners up twice in the Champions Trophy and runners up three times in the World Cup. And haven't got past the quarters in a World Cup since you were last runners up in 92 I believe. So to not even make the knockouts or to be being knocked out in the quarters every World Cup can't be anything short of a failure. Really is mind blowing that a team like England hasn't made a semi since 1992. I'm not a big fan of tournaments like this. Especially 6 months out from an important test series. The most important series in test cricket. I feel both nations should have the full attention on their test play. But, I do find it ridiculous that England/Wales are hosting this and then they get to host the World Cup in a few years too. Seems a tad unfair that.

Yeah, I hate bowling haha. I'm not slow but probably the 3rd slowest out of the 8 man team we have. I'm much more of a batter and fielder. Love my fielding. Especially indoors. In saying that though, I did take 4 wickets off my 12 deliveries on Monday night. Have been in some rare form as of late with the ball and found the late inswing that's been missing from my bowling lately which has been good.

Squared
    I don't know why we're hosting this, to be honest. I don't think its unfair we get the world cup because it's been twenty years since we've had it, but why we're hosting this now, when we have the world cup and we hosted the last champions trophy is beyond me. I guess it's probably got more to do with other countries' interest in hosting a tournament that is constant danger of being axed.

But yeah, we've been nearly men too many times. There's no plaudits for a good showing this time. It's win or bust.

It sounds like pace would be more important in bowling in that form of the game. For my lot, who obviously play the more traditional format, some of the slower bowlers are apparently the most effective, because they have the knack of getting wickets.

Another century for Alistair Cook, backing up the idea he'll be around for a while yet. I wonder if he'll join the long line of England captains whose form will improve once the burden of the captaincy is removed?

To come back to the Champions Trophy, I see we've got this run of games against South Africa to come first. I don't think Australia have any more games before the start of the tournament. Not sure whose got the best set-up there.

Pakistan are also going reasonably well away in the West Indies.

Cook really has grown on me over the years. Don't think he really gets the recognition and respect he deserves. Been an amazing player.

Yeah, we have nothing till the first game against the Kiwi's. I'd much rather your lead in, personally. Not sure why we have this set up. Guess all the other countries were busy or something. You'd think you'd want to win every tournament no matter what it was especially when it's an international tournament. Strange to me we haven't set up a series of matches beforehand.

We might not even get an Ashes series! Haha

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/...13-gw45tl.html

Squared
    Yeah, I was going to ask you about this after I saw it this morning.

What happens if this doesn't get resolved? I can't imagine that the series doesn't go ahead. Worst case scenario has to be Australia fields a team of 'scabs' who get annihilated 5-0, right? I can't see them getting to that point at all, but even if they did, they still aren't going to lose out on all the Test revenues surely?

No way the players play. And surely I'd like to think the "scabs" which would be everyone but the 20 not already signed with Cricket Australia would stand by their fellow players and would refuse themselves to play. Certainly wouldn't do them any favours with the current players. Well I won't go to the Brisbane test. I'm firmly behind all the players here. And I'd be sitting out. What a ridiculous demand to give them. I'd even sit out of the Champions Trophy. Stick it straight up their backsides.

Squared
    The minute that it threatens a home Ashes series, Cricket Australia will be back to the table. You just know it. But if it did come down to it, I think they'd field 11 amateurs if they needed to in order to fulfil the series. I suspect the money they'd lose from the TV deals alone might be enough to seriously damage Australian cricket.

But yeah, I don't see it coming down to that at all. Poor preparation for the Champions Trophy though.

I don't see how they don't think it's threatening the Ashes series now as it is. And it's already threatened the lead up to the Champions Trophy. The players couldn't help but think about it. I'm sure some of them have thought about sitting out, even though they are under contract. I don't know what would happen there. Would assume they'd have their contracts torn up if they did. But to give them a deadline of July to accept the offer or bye bye to the players who don't have a contract for next season I'm sure will scare a few into wanting to make the deal. But when you have the captain and vice captain in Smith and Warner and your two best bowlers in Starc and Hazlewood saying they won't make the deal and sign a new contract I don't see how you can't stand by those guys and say the same thing. What would be the point of fielding 11 amateurs though? Even though I'd try out haha. They'd get flogged by an innings and a million runs every test. No one would want to watch that or go to the games. The players who are playing state cricket and who are sitting just outside the test team, like Maddinson, who was in the team and then was dropped thankfully, surely they have to stand behind the players with contracts in the test team. There's been talk that if the current team refused to play players like Maddinson would be forced to play cause they have contracts with their state teams. I don't see how that would be any different to him saying no and to Smith or Warner saying no to playing. You'll win no favours with Smith or Warner. Good luck getting in a team ever again with them as the leaders. James Sutherland really has to go. I think you need an ex player in his shoes.
    Last edited by Eddieg2005; 05-14-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Only won by 28 tonight. We had a very off night bowling.

Squared
    Well, by threatening I didn't mean threatening the performance of the Australian team, which it obviously is. I meant threatening them taking place at all. You're right of course about people not wanting to watch a one-sided blowout, but at the same time if Cricket Australia put an XI out there, then they've fulfilled their obligations to TV, to England, and to the ICC. From a sporting perspective it's barely an improvement but from a business perspective it's worlds better. The weird thing is that amongst the ex-players there seems to be a bit of a split. Most seem to back the current contingent but some of the former players, especially high profile ones who've joined the board, have gone full conservative and sided with Cricket Australia - or at least seem to have, based on what I've been reading.

28 runs is still a pretty handy win, I'd have thought. Our first and second XI both won handily this weekend. The second XI didn't even lose a wicket in reply to the other team's total.

EDIT: I've also just heard that Dale Steyn is going to miss the test series against England. Got to do our chances some good, hasn't it?

I'm really waiting for Ponting to get on the board. I think he's the man to turn this crap around. He wouldn't take crap from nobody and there's no way he'd be stupid enough to drag this out. All these famous ex players that are now on the board just seem to toe the line and be yes men. But I think Ricky is too comfortable just doing commentary for the BBL 20/20 tournament we have here and either still playing in the IPL or commentating over there as well. The only two ex players I've seen to comment on it are Mitchell Johnson and Shane Watson and they've both been on the players sides. Mitchell Starc tweeted something yesterday about the situation.

Yeah it was handy at the end of the day. Quite comfortable. We started out poorly in the field and bowling. Gave up 63 off the first 8 overs when we would usually give up 30-40. Just some sloppy bowling and not taking our chances in the field. They scored -19 off the next 4 overs and then the last pair put on 26. So they scored 70. Which is not really a good score as it's easy to chase down. Think we're averaging about 61 against us for the season. After our first 8 overs we were already on 81 and past their score haha. So it gets a bit boring after that and we don't really play properly. Just try and slog it a lot.

Oh really? That's a shame. Still of the believe he's the best bowler in the world. But they have an abundance of really good quicks and their depth is off the charts good.

Squared
    Yeah, they still have Rabada, Morkel, Philander.... and that's before you get to any spin options. It's not like they are going to be bad. They aren't the second best test side in the world rankings for nothing.

My Warwickshire were able to win a game too. One day cup so I kind of glossed over it first of all (because we've already been eliminated), but they beat Yorkshire, with Ian Bell top scoring with the always slightly disappointing score of 98. Good result though, considering Yorkshire had Lyth, Bairstow, Ballance, Ambrose, Rashid, Willey, Plunkett and Joe Root all playing. Hopefully bodes well for the county championship, maybe we can pull ourselves into the middle of the table.

And they have Abbott, unless he is injured too. Don't underestimate him if he's playing. Yeah that's true, just a big loss to lose your best bowler.

Gosh. Would have thought that Yorkshire squad would have won easily going off of those players you named.

Abbott no longer plays for the national team.

He signed a Kolpak deal for Hampshire I think.

Oh gosh. Really??? That's a bit surprising. Don't know much about those deals. But doesn't that mean he can't ever play international cricket for South Africa again? Do you know why he signed it?

Wanted a long term and financial security I guess. Not sure on if they're allowed to play IPL as well. This article is pretty good.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-af...y/1075751.html

Squared
    It sounds like it's basically about the cold hard cash. If the South African Rand is falling through the floor and his test opportunities are going to be limited, he's going to make much, much more money playing exclusively in England. My understanding is that he could play in the IPL, providing that it doesn't interfere with his county cricket commitments. For the contract not to be broken his English commitments would need to be the absolute priority.

Interesting. Well the link Sucky posted says he won't be able to play IPL but will have the opportunity to play T20 tournaments in other countries in the future. So not sure how that would work. I get his stand point. It's hard for him to get into the squad. But I thought he bowled beautifully over here when he got his chance and I didn't even know about this let alone hear the whispers about it last year. Quite shocked by it, but best thing for him to do for himself and his family.

Squared
    Ah yes. I'd seen something different that didn't talk explicitly about the IPL but implied that he might be able to. I guess the problem with the IPL might be it runs alongside the English game, so it wouldn't be compatible with making country cricket the priority?

Darren Lehmann sounds confident that the strike thing won't happen and the Ashes will go ahead as planned. My guess is that they'll all thrash something out.

Squared
    I don't want to pre-empt anything, but England being one of the favourites is looking like a laughable call as they currently make very heavy work of the opener.

Just got home, 232/2 with a tad over 8 left to bowl. I'd be surprised if Bangladesh score 300+ but literally as I'm writing this Tamim hits a 6 that would have been caught in the outfield down here. Not a fan of small grounds. But to your point, personally, Bangladesh, have come on leaps and bounds over the past few years. They aren't an amazing team but they don't get credit.

Squared
    They're certainly a lot better than when they were whipping boys, but they lost that tag some years ago. Still, they aren't the best and we'll need to bowl better, even if our batsmen did play pretty well to get us out of the hole. Question marks about how much more game time Roy will get already.

I'd say New Zealand are going well, after a bit of a wobble.

I backed the Kiwis so a bit annoyed they cancelled the game! Stupid English weather! I honestly haven't paid much attention as the tournament doesn't interest me and cause I'm more of a test cricket fan. But we won't be making the final let alone the semis if we are going with Finch at 2 and Henriques at 4. I don't know if we have injuries or if they played Henriques cause of the pitch and weather but Khawaja needs to be opening with Warner first and foremost. And Henriques is not a top 4 batsman.

EDIT: Just looked up the squad. No Khawaja. So guess they have to go with Finch at the top. Lynn should have been in the team over Henriques. And no idea how the 5000 year old Hastings played over Pattinson.
    Last edited by Eddieg2005; 06-02-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Squared
    Australia bowling at the hosts to try and hold on to their place in the competition. Whatever the result, this afternoon is going to be compelling.

I've completely missed 95% of the tournament. I caught our game against the Kiwis and Bangladesh against you guys. Only just saw now we got knocked out. Looking at the scorecard what a recovery from you guys! Well deserved win. I wouldn't have a clue how teams are playing but would assume it'll be England and India in the final.

Squared
    I'm expecting that final, too. I don't see Bangladesh beating India. Maybe Pakistan could upstage us for the all-Asian final, but it'd be a huge disappointment to us.

I made my first appearance for years this past weekend. Out for 1, which is quite funny. Still, I half expected a golden duck so to get anything was something of a relief. A bit better at bowling but I'd been hit in the shoulder while batting and in my last over it started to tighten up and I bowled some shite which ruined what would otherwise have been unspectacular but decent figures. We won the game, but I think that had more to do with the two first-teamers who'd dropped down to help us fulfil the fixture!