Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cricket Thread

To make matters worse they haven't come out and played their shots. They're playing like it's day one and they have four days to come. Can't be stupid and not think you will lose some time due to rain. Would be a million times easier to win the match having to chase after losing time then bowling to win.

Squared
    A good start tomorrow, though, and they'll have it in the bag - provided we start on time. Declare around lunch, no chance at batting for five sessions to save it.

Ugh get home from work and it's the lunch break. Lame.

Squared
    Poor start from Lyth and Cook, and barring something ridiculous, that's the test.

I'm not optimistic. Ballance hasn't been in good form, Bell is a great run-scorer but he's always got the kind of mistake in him that means he can't occupy the crease for particularly long periods, and that puts a huge amount of pressure on Joe Root. I imagine Australia win this tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Pretty sure we need to make a change to our top order for the third test. I'd stick with Bell, and Ballance is in the balance (NPI), but I don't think Lyth has done enough to keep his place in a pressure situation. One good innings in test cricket so far. I think there's a good case for calling up Hales. I'd probably promote Ali up the order too, ahead of Buttler.

Lol at that by Stokes.

Squared
    I suspect even Cook will be bollocking a few people after this test. Frankly, we've collapsed twice. Just not good enough.

Lot's of people calling for Bell to be dropped. I don't think we're really in much of a position to do that, to be honest - even though Bairstow is in decent nick. But Lyth and Ballance have to be under serious scrutiny, as our middle order have been exposed far too much.

Hales in to open and James Taylor in for Ballance might freshen the line-up a bit. Failing that, Leaning is averaging 60 or so for Yorkshire so he could come in at 3. But something needs to change.

And on such a good batting wicket makes it all the more puzzling. Quite shocked we've gone through you the way we have.

Squared
    I'm fairly shocked about this second innings. The first made a certain amount of sense. You often see a side go down heavily when they've been in the field for so long, just because of the tired legs and tired brains. But this second time around is harder to explain. There's been a few good balls in there - Lyon's delivery for Bell, for example - but a lot of these guys have given their wickets away. And that's happened too often in this series so far.

Squared
    And when I said tomorrow morning, I of course meant this evening.

Idiots.

Nice thing to wake up to and see!

Squared
    Ha, you've got to love the members in the Lords pavilion. I'm not quite sure how some of them function in every day life.

Love rain.

This is real poor batting, the ball is moving in the air and we're getting nicked off.

Rogers is the only one batting sensibly.

Edit: Has to be said, some good bowling from England though.

Jimmy finally bowling how I was expecting him to do. We need A LOT of rain haha.

Squared
    Was at the test yesterday. Excellent day for an England fan to see, but the cheap wickets of Cook and Bell, when both were set and scoring quite freely, has set up todays struggles and let Australia back into this.

Could still go either way, with England batting fourth and their horrible strategy for playing Lyon.

With a lead of 175+ I reckon it will be difficult for us to put up a challenging target.

Squared
    Well, the lead is only 145.

Your top four need to do well, but if you can get 300+ then we could be under some serious pressure.

We will want a wicket or two before tea, just to keep the pressure on.

Where's this rain? Haha

Squared
    92/5. Still a couple of decents batsmen left, but looking like Warner needs to do this with very little help left.

50 or so more runs to get. Will be a herculean effort from the Aussie bowlers to prevent England going 2-1 up now, you'd think.

Hopefully 2-2 going into the last.

Squared
    I'm going to a day at the Trent Bridge test too, so hopefully not - I'd rather not lose a lead when I'm actually there, if we have to lose it.

Squared
    OK, so the tail has wagged a bit and Australia have squirmed into a tight lead.

Question now is, how far ahead can they get. Can they at least give Johnson, Starc et al something to bowl at. Lose Nevill in the remaining few overs and you've got to think not.

Squared
    Aussies living charmed lives. If we don't break the partnership soon it will actually require some real batting, which I am never that confident about....

Anderson ruled out for fourth test too, so essential we do the job here. Hopefully Wood will be fit for it.

Squared
    2-1, win by eight wickets. Great performance by a few England players, and not much coming back from Australia.

Bizarre that no test has been even remotely close, but the series is still absolutely in the balance. Two chances for Australia to save the Ashes, and you couldn't rule it out even though they've been annihilated twice.

Squared
    Just came in from working outside... what the hell is going on?!

6 wickets in 37 balls...

This is ridiculous.

Squared
    That's that. 60/9, extras the top scorer for Australia, and according to many of the pundits the pitch doing less than it did at Edgbaston.

Unbelievable - I couldn't imagine Australia being bowled out before lunch on day 1.

Shane Warne and Mick Slater are on commentary discussing 80's/90's wrestlers.

Unbelievable. (Y)

Squared
    Root and Bairstow taking this away from Australia. Another 45 minutes at this rate and Cook might declare before lunch tomorrow.

Of course, now I've said that, we're probably looking at a collapse.

Least I've won money.

Squared
    I wonder if they'll stick with Lyth, if they do what seems inevitable and finish this up. A lot of people were saying that he needed runs here, and it doesn't look too likely now. With that said, if The Ashes are in the bag, then he might get another chance with the pressure off, just because there'd be no need to change things up immediately.

Who are the other openers around the scene? Robson, Carberry, Compton are the few I can think of. Can't say I know too much around the county scene though. Are any of them next in line, PT? Someone else knocking on the door?

Would give him some more time considering you're winning, maybe another series and see how he goes. If he fails again then that'll probably be the end of him.

Squared
    These are the guys who've been looked at and dismissed, and to be honest we're pretty bad at going back to people who've had their chance. A lot of the time someone needs tor really prove they deserve another go. I'm not always sure it's a strength, to be honest.

A few names in the frame, but not those. I've heard people mention Robson's brother, Stoneman, and Hales as the likely candidates. I guess there might also be more names in the frame, but that would just reinforce the idea that there's no obvious candidate - which in itself could help Lyth.

Bit annoyed, I went in to Toys R Us with the missus at 11am, by the time we emerged Australia were four down yesterday. I was livid.

Looking forward to the final Test already - five days should give us enough time to beat the Aussies twice.

Seriously though - Australia have some problems. It's one thing to struggle to adapt to playing the moving ball; a fair few Aussies have come over and got it wrong early in the tour. This time, no-one has adapted to it at all; they all play with hard hands and try to take it early, and anyone who has played cricket at any level in England knows that you can't do that against the swinging ball, it's begging for an edge. The only one who has consistently played the moving ball well is Chris Rogers, and he's retiring in two weeks. What is most astonishing is that Michael Clarke has played on four tours in England, and his shot was the worst of the lot yesterday.

Steve Smith totally misread the situation today; so much for being the best batsman in the world. He's about to be overtaken by Joe Root, who played a sensational innings yesterday when it could have gone either way.

I'm so surprised at how meekly Australia have given up The Ashes. I imagine there will be a serious inquest Down Under at the conclusion of the series. By the way, if it yields a similarly radical change of approach as England's 5-0 drubbing last time, then beware Australia next time round. It's all very well accusing Australia of not adapting to English conditions, but that's exactly what happened to England last time. Very interesting series next time.

Squared
    Was at the test yesterday, and an Aussie fan (who to be fair to him, had come all the way from Melbourne for this crap and was still clapping along to every minor bit of encouragement) was saying that a lot of this is because they don't play county cricket anymore, but all go off playing in the IPL instead.

I don't know enough to know if he's right, but thought it was telling that Voges - who pretty much everyone thinks he is out of his depth at this level - played one of the better knocks yesterday, and he's probably the one who knows the English conditions best. Rogers plays for Middlesex and has probably been the most consistent batsman, too. But of the other major batsmen, only Warner has any real experience of county cricket (a season each for Smith and Clark, I think, the latter being over a decade ago?) and it seems to have cost them.

I do feel as if my opinion earlier on has been pretty well vindicated. The Aussies have the better batsmen on paper, but we've had much better bowling and they just haven't been able to deal with them well enough. I do wonder how much of England's advantage in bowling is because Australia didn't pick the best bowlers for the conditions. I know Johnson has a great reputation and has taken bucketloads of wickets, but his form in England is.... intermittent, at best. He's been about as effective as Steve Finn, who didn't even make the first XI for the first two tests. In nine tests, he's bowled well twice, at Headingley and Lords.

Mitchell Starc always looks dangerous, but if you compare him to Anderson, he is less consistent, dangerous, and more expensive. Broad looks a cut above Hazlewood, too, and Stokes played a bigger part in the Trent Bridge test than any of the Australian part-timers. Where I'll admit to being wrong is that Lyon has been clearly much more of a threat than Ali. I still don't think he's brilliant, but I did under-rate him a bit.

But with Rogers and Clarke retiring, Voges and Haddin in their late 30s, Johnson at 33, and a result like this, they'll certainly look hugely different by the time England go down under next time.

Australia 4-0.

Squared
    Bold move to predict the next series before this one has finished. You won't even know who will be playing!

Nice touch with the Richie tribute. (Y)

Squared
    I can't recall someone's technique deserving to get them out as much as Smith yesterday, when he first came to the crease. Looked thoroughly awful.

Doing OK now though. Must be pretty galling for Aussie fans to see yesterday that the team are capable of toughing out a decent score in bowling conditions, if they put their minds to it.