Thread: Talkin' Impact: Does Spud Deserve Better?

Talkin' Impact: Does Spud Deserve Better?

I'm not going to do my usual thoughts on the show, as other than Anthem putting their stamp on it, there was nothing major happening in the first episode of the New Year, other than doing a last second hype of a PPV the next night. In fact, I'll be honest and say that the episode was a bit of a disappointment. It wasn't terrible, but as I think their should have been a huge attempt to make a bold statement and hook in viewers for the weeks to come, but this wasn't it. Pope sounded like he was auditioning for the fourth member of New Day with his excitement about Anthem, but there was really nothing for fans to be excited about.

So, I just want to focus on one thing, or one person: Rockstar Spud. The promo he cut (and the commentary about him) after he lost to Swoggle was accurate: 2016 sucked. I don't think he won a single match. He did in fact lose to a toddler- which I was forgiving of since it was all part of the "Broken Universe" madness. But for him to lose to Hornswoggle in under 3 minutes? Aside from my worst fears of Swoggle sticking around beyond Total Nonstop Deletion being realized, I think TNA is doing too much on the comedy side with Spud. I get it- he's a little guy in the land of giants, and it's hard to see him as a threat to any title holder- especially the world title. But the man has charisma and really good mic skills, and we know that that all counts for something when it comes to wrestling.

My question to you is this: do you think Spud deserves to be taken more seriously, and treated creatively by TNA as such? Do you think he'll ever realize his goal of being world champion? Or do you think his ceiling is the comedic pesky heel or never-say-never, but never wins the big one underdog?
    Don't Touch That Dial!

The problem with comedy acts is that it's nearly impossible to break out of that mold and they almost never get past the mid-card level.

It would take a load of talent and charisma to do it. Personally, it's hard for me to see anyone taking Spud seriously.

The Brain
    Spud was wonderful both as a heel manager when he was working as EC3 and when he was playing a (legitimately) beloved underdog after that masterful angle. The way he was dropped off the map after the Matt Hardy Brand group was disbanded is a serious issue with TNA. I think he can play either side wonderfully but he shouldn't just be a joke jobber.

Section 8: you make a very interesting point, and that's a possible column idea that I may want to look into. I fear you may not be the only one, as just last year alone saw him repeatedly humiliated, even when he recruited monsters for assistance.

Miz: I agree 100%. Before Matt became broken, I was actually enjoying the Big Money Matt act, but even then Spud was a joke in the group, as he and Tyrus together couldn't be Jeff. I figured his heel turn at the beginning of the year would launch him further up the card, but not so much. You're right- that is a serious problem, and it doesn't help to silence any critics who harp on TNA for only pushing former WWE guys instead of their homegrown stars. Mandrews already bounced on them despite how over he was. I hope they have something in mind with this quitting angle.

BTW, Hornswoggle IS signed to TNA now (facepalm).
    Don't Touch That Dial!

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR-13 View Post
    BTW, Hornswoggle IS signed to TNA now (facepalm).
    Goddam it!

Great, with Hornswoggle signed it seems like Spud is going to continue to be a comedy act and nothing more. He really deserves better. He is great in the ring and undervalued on the mic.

Miz: Tell me about it! I just wrote about all the WWE releases of 2016, totaling about 15-16 in all, including some talent that still had major upside. They rightly swooped up Sandow, and used Cody... both good moves. But out of the rest of the list... HORNSWOGGLE??? Is Ryback too expensive?

Spin: The only way the Hornswoggle can even be a relevant act is playing off of someone with the skill of Spud, so sadly it looks like you're right. I agree- Spud can mean so much more, and his size doesn't have to be a hindrance.

If Swoggle wins the X-Division title- pull the plug.
    Don't Touch That Dial!

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR-13 View Post
    If Swoggle wins the X-Division title- pull the plug.
    On the whole goddam company.