Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: UFC/MMA Discussion

To me, Lesnar showed that his superior wrestling and strength can take down almost anyone while also showing the rust of not fighting for five years.. his standup was non existent and while that was never his game, when he's focused on doing it, hes way better than tonight.. so question is, if he does fight again, who can nullify his ground game so that they can knock him out?a

As for the card, i enjoyed.. but its why i won't spend $60 for a show..esp this one when i knew 2 of the main card fights would be duds relatively speaking.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 07-10-2016 at 04:35 AM.

Lesnar does have potential interesting fights left on the plate if and when he decides to enter the octagon again. The thing with the HW division is that it is like a time capsule of everything MMA, and it's a division where career resurgences happen every few years that no one saw coming because most of the fighters at HW do not have a skill set across many disciplines of MMA.

The stack UFC cards have a tendency to not be as entertaining as some of the cards with unknown names. I live in an area where the only place I could watch these in public is Buffalo Wild Wings, and I am NOT getting there at 3 PM and spending 10 hours in that environment to watch it, so my friends and I order all of them (I do not have the WWE Network because there are too many PPV duds for $10/month).

What's going to be fun now is CM Punk's fight in September.....

The male Cyborg got his skull cracked and it's nasty.

http://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/mm...ee-in-ko-loss/

I viewed that, was nasty. MVP is one of the most entertaining fighters I've seen, I'm a huge fan, but I can't cheer for someone having their skull caved in like that. Cant help but think this fight should never have been made in the first place, Cyborg is tough, but well out of his depth.

Good fight between Diaz and McGregor. Would have loved a finish but it was entertaining. And by the results we need to make it a trilogy.

Reality Champ
    Think the judges got it right. If you wanted to argue a draw, I'd disagree, but I could see it. Don't see how anyone had Diaz winning though. One of the best main event fights we've seen in a while.

Quite a few people had Diaz winning. Realistically, it was close enough that it could have gone in one of three ways, a tie, or 48-47 for either of them. Fantastic fight that started out lame. And somehow Connor was able to keep up when everyone thought he was going to get demolished based on the last fight.

The one thing I will say is I was astonished at how honest the UFC commentary from Dana White and Rogan (during different parts of the show when they were talking about the main event, hyping it up) was. First Dana - earlier in the show - says 'it seems Connor just doesn't have the same power knock-out and punching power at 170 that he does at 155/145. True, undeniably true and many others pointed this ever since the first fight.

Then in the promo video package right before the main event, Joe Rogan talks about how humiliating the first fight and the loss was for Connor. Not only did he lose to Nate who had merely 11 days to train (while Connor had way more time), but it was a fight Connor was widely expected to win, and Nate beat him in the second round, and tapped him out. Again all true stuff, and stuff that people have been pointing out since the first fight.

Now think about that: Connor is by far their biggest star at the moment, the company is totally depending on him, and of course wants him to win this, be as strong and popular as possible, yet they don't shy away from the truth at all, are blunt about it, and in doing so, it actually builds up the fight and makes it seem all the more important and dramatic (raises the stakes), and makes it mean so much more when Connor unexpectedly wins. I was reminded thinking about this, what would the WWE commentary do in this sort of situation? They would of course hopelessly insult your intelligence, ignore the obvious, and have Michael Cole or JBL spout all sorts of bullshit that no one could possibly believe. ("These fans aren't booing Reigns, they're just playing with him, booing Roman is the new fun cool thing to do, he's like Cena!" - I believe Vince actually fed that line to JBL once) Just a minor thought, and yet a major difference between the presentation of the two companies.

("These fans aren't booing Reigns, they're just playing with him, booing Roman is the new fun cool thing to do, he's like Cena!" - I believe Vince actually fed that line to JBL once) Just a minor thought, and yet a major difference between the presentation of the two companies.
    One is fake and and geared to a PG audience, while the other is a legit sport and competition geared to 18-50 male demo. Now with the obvious stated. Booing Reigns IS the new cool snarky thing to do. Reigns is actually very good at his job. His matches are actually entertaining. The WWE has taken him out of the main event picture given you your indy darlings in that spot, and the geeks are still booing. Im not sure what you want the WWE to do anymore other than insult your intelligence because there is a great lack of it across its fan base.

So who here thinks Punk will win?

I'm rooting for him, but I think Gall wins by submission in the first.

I'm rooting for him as well.

CM Punk's match is such a crap shoot, pre-fight analysis is really hard. The one thing he has going for him was he made a very wise decision almost two years ago and joined Roufus MMA in Milwaukee. Duke Roufus has quite a few legitimate fighters in that camp, so Punk would be in a very good place to absorb and understand MMA.

I honestly believe Punk can take a punch. A lot of those guys at Roufus MMA are very skilled and creative strikers, so I am hoping Punk learned enough take down defense to keep this fight on his feet where he stands a chance. If it goes to the ground, especially early, Gall wins this by submission.

I don't believe Punk's fight will have a significant bump to the PPV buys. McGregor/Diaz 2 "supposedly" set the record for buys. I don't see predominantly WWE fans dropping $60 to watch him fight and my early prediction for PPV buys is going to be 400,000.

I just put money on Punk going the distance. I dont honestly think he can win. He is 37 years old. Your reaction time, your body, your physical natural ability isnt the same as it was at 25. But I think as long as Punk goes the distance (cue the rocky music) thats a win in my book.

Here is hoping CM Punk visited Father Carmine

Quote Originally Posted by DBPanterA View Post
    I don't believe Punk's fight will have a significant bump to the PPV buys. McGregor/Diaz 2 "supposedly" set the record for buys. I don't see predominantly WWE fans dropping $60 to watch him fight and my early prediction for PPV buys is going to be 400,000.
    That would be a significant bump. Dave Meltzer said the average for this kind of second tier PPV is 275,000 buys
    Last edited by Irishsara; 09-10-2016 at 12:57 AM.

Not getting embarressed is a win for Punk.. so I feel like he just has to get past round one.. no one expects him to win.

The betting line is almost to the point where I consider throwing money down. All it takes is one punch in MMA....

That's true but if Punk has no power then he's not gonna knock gall out.

You think he comes out to Cult of Personality? They played the song during the closing montage of his four-part documentary so it seems that could be the case.

I'd actually prefer the AFI song, Miseria Cantare, that he used from his ROH days. I see it being either that, Cult of Personality or maybe a Rancid song due to how close he is with those guys.

That was ugly. Cedit to Punk, but he stood no chance.

Goldberg Rules!
    lmaolmaolmaolmaolmaolmaolmaolmaolmaolmaolmaolmaolm aolmaolmaolmaolmaolmaolmao

Yup he got run over.

That was worth the action i had on the fight.

Although they should get that Urijah Faber a WWE contract. Low blowing, eye raking, hell if he started wooing and elbow dropped his ring jacket, he would have been Ric Flair.

Faber is actually pretty good on the mic...has the charisma and look if he ever decided to go that route.

Only thing with Faber is that he is tiny. 5'6", fights at 135 lbs., which means he probably walks around somewhere between 150-160. I love me some Faber (although his time in the octagon is coming to an end shortly), but he would be small even if you compare him to Finn Balor.

These two HW fights coming up could be fun....

Quote Originally Posted by DBPanterA View Post
    Only thing with Faber is that he is tiny. 5'6", fights at 135 lbs., which means he probably walks around somewhere between 150-160. I love me some Faber (although his time in the octagon is coming to an end shortly), but he would be small even if you compare him to Finn Balor.

These two HW fights coming up could be fun....
    I was poking fun. But the crusierweight division is a thing. The WWE likes guys with legit fighting backgrounds and with Matt Riddle coming in soon and Seth Petruzelli at the WWE performance center, its not impossible.

^It's all good, no worries

I know there is always talk of cross-over between the worlds of MMA and Professional Wrestling. Some of my favorite fighters in MMA are generally on the smaller side which could potentially hamper their ability to draw in the world of wrestling. A big issue with the UFC, especially the heavy weight division, is that most of the names/faces are the same as they were 5 years ago, and there isn't a lot of young blood in the division.

Main event was a gong show. My new favorite saying I am jacking from Stipe Miocic was when he said "Turn the mother board off."

And the fall is complete. She looked clueless out there. Amazing how a loss can shatter confidence.

Impressive performance by Garbrandt too.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    And the fall is complete. She looked clueless out there. Amazing how a loss can shatter confidence.

Impressive performance by Garbrandt too.

I gotta give Garbrandt major props. He fought the perfect fight, struck Cruz at will, and it will be seen as a changing of the guard in the division. I still remember years ago when guys that were down in the the lightweight (or even lower divisions) simply didn't have the knockout power. Today, there are some very nasty dudes fighting at 135 and 145, and 155 is simply a shark tank of insanity.

I told everyone I knew to bet their house on Nunes. Ronda is a world class judo practitioner, but has used Edmund (a fraudulent boxing guy) as her only coach, and he instilled in her that she could strike. In the year off and she did not seek out other camps or coaches to learn and practice other forms of MMA. It's similar to the fall of the legend Royce Gracie, who would school everyone with his BJJ many years ago, but when the fight game evolved, he didn't, and then couldn't compete. Ronda will always been seen as a pioneer and her contributions to the sport are massive; yet, it is her own loyalty and stubbornness in not evolving as a fighter that has been her downfall.

I'm not sure what the future holds for Rousey. All I know is that if she does not get rid of her worthless coach and seek out a new training camp (virtually every camp would take her in with open arms), she will never find success.

But hey, there are some fun fights on free tv in January!

That loss wasn't Rondas fault, it's entirely on the coach. Awful, if you can find the sound bites of his "advice", it's amateur.

She has clearly sparred with nobody, way too much pad work, which is pointless. She was beaten by 1-2 combo's, the absolute beginner combo.

I have heard both the audio of Edmond as well as read the written transcript. It's appalling. It's damn near criminal how ill-prepared she was. Yes, she looked physically to be in great shape and it could be argued she hasn't looked physically better in years. However, I have read enough stories about the lack of progression of fighters, both mma as well as boxing, under Edmond's tutelage that I can't believe anyone attempting to make a career in either sport would seek out that goofball.

It's also very interesting that when you hear fighters give interviews, they generally name the other fighters that have helped them get ready (even Brock Lesnar did that when he was fighting). Yet, with Rousey, we never heard a SINGLE name of another fighter who helped her get ready. There are fight camps like AKA that simply go to war with each other every day, which is obviously not the best approach given the fighter's frequency of getting injured, but then there is Rousey with no known sparring partner. There is obviously a middle ground that benefits the fighter. If she were to continue, she needs to find a camp that can her back to her judoka roots, give her a respectful MMA wrestling ability/understanding to accentuate her judo, and develop adequate MMA striking defense, or else the end result will continue to be bad losses.

I know there is talk on the main page about Rousey coming to WWE, and she has publicly stated that she wants to have a family, which is pretty difficult to do with the WWE schedule, even if she were to sign a deal similar to Brock or Goldberg.

I like Brock but I don't think he's got a good chance against Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I like Brock but I don't think he's got a good chance against Jones.
    The likelihood of a fight between Lesnar and Jones occurring is very slim. Lesnar is friends with Daniel Cormier (I would assume based on their wrestling backgrounds), so when Lesnar's name started to come up over the past week, it was more about his support of Cormier.

Lesnar would have to re-enter USADA testing, and serve out the remaining 5 months of his suspension due to his UFC 200 positive test. I don't think he would want to get clean before his WWE contract expires.

Stylistically I think Jones presents enough problems for Lesnar as Lesnar really is a one-dimensional fighter: wrestle, cover opponent like a blanket, then use poor striking to pick up a win. Jones is a high volume striker, and Lesnar doesn't like getting hit. The oblique kicks that Jones uses (those quick kicks to the knee/upper quad of an opponent) is what keeps wrestlers from shooting, and Jones' speed would be problematic for Lesnar.

The biggest reason why Jones/Lesnar and now GSP/Bisping are being discussed is due to a poor PPV year for UFC, and they are trying to increase PPV buys. No Ronda, no Conor, multiple title fight cancellations, and it's been a bad year for UFC. Throw in 2 absolutely terrible title defenses by Tyron Woodley at 170 pounds and there is a strong need to increase both the quality of PPVs in regards to fights, but also a need to draw people back to the product, which is most easily done with fighters that end fights.

From what i've read, Lesnar is back in the USADA pool so he could fight in 2018

The chances aren't slim; it's just going to take a while. It'd say it's 50/50. UFC needs something big.

I also think Jon Jones fighting at like 225 or 230 pounds would be unstoppable.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 08-01-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Squared
    Been rewatching a lot of the old stuff again recently, reliving it all. I'm up to about 1997, so a lot of the names that we're still seeing are guys who flirted with pro-wrestling in the late 1990s like Dan Severn and Tank Abbott, amongst others. Kinda interesting to relive the 'outlaw' days knowing where UFC will end up going.

Bigger news of late is the surprise win for GSP over Bisping, ending that reign at a year and a half or thereabouts. Now hearing there is some discussion as to whether St Pierre is likely to defend the title in Australia next year against Whittaker?

In my opinion GSP is the greatest of all time. Takes 4 years off, moves up a division and wins the championship is amazing. I think Whittaker is the interim champ so it would make sense for GSP next fight. The way UFC loves to make mega matches I think GSP next fight will be against Conor McGregor.

Squared
    Speaking of McGregor, saw him making a tit of himself, getting in the cage and slapping an official. Had a lot of people using quote marks when they called it a sport.

The other news I have seen is Anderson Silva failing another drugs test, and that he'll likely be replaced in Shanghai by Bisping.

That's outrageously brave by Bisping by the way, some would say stupid.

McGregor is a disgrace. Yep, brought lots of new fans into the sport, but he's doing more harm than good overall. His antics this weekend were diabolical. You cant do that, plain and simple. You certainly cant call yourself a "true martial artist" and behave like a coked up gypsy

Squared
    You think it's the kind of thing that might increase his own drawing power but hurt the sport overall?

Hearing that Jack Swagger has signed a contract with Bellator. I know he was always lauded as a really strong legitimate athlete (part of the reason he was pushed the way he was) and that he has a solid amateur wrestling background. But that was presumably more than a decade ago. Thoughts on how well he's likely to do on making this transition?

I'd imagine he'd do a little better than Punk. He is/was a legit wrestler at least, and Bellator wont give him as tough competition.

By the looks of it, the incident hasnt done his brand much good at all. A lot of die hard Conor fans I know have been very put off by it, touching a ref in such a way will cross lines that being jovial cannot fix

That McGregor incident has barely gotten much coverage in the states, FWIW.

Squared
    Bit surprised at that. Been the biggest news in MMA here. The BBC had an article on it and then covered his 'apology'. It stopped short of calling him a liar but whoever wrote it made it pretty clear that they didn't think it matched up with the facts, which amused me.

I hear Tyron Woodley is angling for Nate Diaz in December.