Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: UFC/MMA Discussion

Woodley Diaz would be good to watch, very interesting match-up

Squared
    Been reading that Kelvin Gastelum is once again having problems making weight for Shanghai.

Ever since McGregor's Dublin incident, every time I have heard his name he is being mentioned in connection with fights against boxers. First it was Pacquiao, who I can only assume is trying to follow Mayweather's lead because that's been kinda the way things have rolled before, but now I hear rumours (in not very reliable places, mind you) that a fight with Malignaggi is already agreed. Just makes you wonder if Conor McGregor is on the way out of MMA for the few big paydays that might be available in boxing.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

What are your thoughts on the upcoming Heavyweight Championship bout?

Nganou seems to just be a beast but I love Stipe. He is the kind of guy that could come out seriously to a Bruce Springsteen song and is just so likeable.

The division needs some star power and I think the win will launch either of them up into the stratosphere as either the scariest man on the planet or the guy who skated the scariest man on the planet.

Generally in bouts like this I'd favour Stipe. He just knows how to get it done, it takes something special to beat him, if he's beaten, we have someone who could match Cain as a top top heavyweight

Cain is a hard one, if he had stayed at his peak he would be the best ever unfortunately his body just keeps giving out so he can't sustain that peak.

Squared
    Not long until this match now, interesting to see that the champion is coming in as the underdog at the bookies.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I’m gutted Whittaker won’t be defending against Rockhold. That whole card is pretty awful now, they don’t even have the best Aussies in there

Can we get Mundine in???

Just watched UFC 220, what a couple of main events fights. I know everyone would have loved two highlight reel knockouts but I absolutely love the kind of masterclasses Stipe and Cormier put on against two very dangerous opponents.

This is what the Stipe/Nganou fight reminded me of:

Both of these guys have been overshadowed by others throughout their career but are numbers wise amongst the greatest all time of their division. Where do you rank them in terms of all time standings?

I'd have to say at least for Cormier that with the question marks over the entire career of Jon Jones, Cormier is right up there with Liddell as the greatest Light-Heavyweight Champion of all time.

Miocic though I feel like has largely reigned over a very shallow division with a string of injuries keeping perhaps his best ever matchup Valazquez out of action for too long.

Anyway thoughts for you guys.

Even though Jon Jones is littered with controversy, those fights still happened with DC and I can't erase them from my memory. its unfortunte, but because of that I think DC will always be overshadowed by Jones. He's a top 5 light heavyweight of all time but also in an era with not alot of great guys at 205.

I think Stipe can be considered one of the best heavyweights, defended the title the most and took on some big challenges. Another past its prime division though. I would love to see DC and Stipe fight at 225 pounds

Squared
    I don't know if this is just Dana White running his mouth again, but saw something about how he expects UFC contests in 2018 for Brock Lesnar and - brace yourself - CM Punk.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Well we've got DC/Stipe. That's huge.

Besides Gustaffson there wasn't really anything left for him at light heavyweight if we're being honest.

Wow, they are some huge bits of news.

To the Lesnar situation, if it means he pisses off out of the WWE then good riddance, hopefully they match him up with a bunch of easy wins so he doesn't end up back on his arse and coming back to the WWE where the poor boy can feel tough again.

With Punk, I have very little interest in him fighting again in the UFC, it was actually interesting to see as an experiment that kind of showed how well someone with absolutely no training but a mildly athletic background can do with a year of dedicated full time training and expert coaching. Unfortunately for Punk the answer was not very well even against a fairly inexperienced middle of the pack UFC guy. Maybe with a couple more years of training he can pick up a win against a handpicked opponent. This may come off as cynical but I am not against him one bit just no longer interested in him as an MMA fighter.

The DC v Miocic fight is a complete other story though. Am so keen to see how they match up. DC is still undefeated at heavyweight and has some impressive wins over guys like Josh Barnet, Bigfoot Silva, Frank Mir, not guys that just roll over and take it. Stipe has proved he is a very good wrestler and really handy striker who can follow a game plan and exploit his opponents weaknesses. Will be a really interesting match up.

Squared
    Stolen from another site - kinda funny, on the Punk return.

Phase 1: Denial
    Come on, this isn’t really going to happen, right? After all, didn’t UFC President Dana White stand there in Cleveland after Punk got demolished by Mickey Gall at UFC 203 and say, very clearly, that Punk “probably shouldn’t have his next fight in the UFC”? Yes. Yes, he did. Plus he was smirking when he said it, so that doesn’t seem like someone who was overly impressed with what he saw in that debut.

Phase 2: Doubt
    Wait a minute, that was all the way back in 2016. That was before the UFC was sold. And then there’s the fact that Punk’s inclusion on the card helped UFC 203 to a reported 450,000 pay-per-view buys, which is more than other events headlined by Stipe Miocic did immediately before and after. And how about these new owners. Do they seem any less interested in making a quick buck by any means necessary?

Phase 3: Unreasonable Optimism
    But hey, 2016 was a long time ago. He’s probably been in the gym this whole time (except for when he was on that MTV reality show), which means he’s had plenty of time to hone those skills. And everybody has jitters for their first fight. This will be fight number two, so he’s basically a seasoned pro now. Let the CM Punk era begin!

Phase 4: Joyous Nihilism
    LOL bro, I don’t even care. Of course it’s going to be awful. Of course the UFC will go out and handpick an opponent just to try to find someone who Punk might stand some sort of chance against. And, most likely, he’ll either lose anyway or else win in a way that mostly just exposes how bad the other guy is. It’ll make even more of a mockery of the idea that the UFC is the pinnacle of the sport where only the best fight the best, but so what? None of this matters. Nothing matters. Pass the whiskey. Use it to wash down some expired Sudafed. So what, man. Big deal.

Phase 5: Acceptance
    Look, MMA is one big carnival. It always has been, even when we wanted to pretend it was just like any other mainstream pro sport. Promoters have to get paying customers in the door, and for better or worse, Punk does that. I mean, yes, that line of reasoning works just as well as an argument in favor of the UFC signing every single Kardashian, but so what? Besides, it’s just one fight. It probably won’t even last long. And if he brings a brighter spotlight to the other fighters on the card – people who have actually put in the work over many years just to get here and make a fraction of Punk’s purse despite being far more skilled but it’s OK not even going to dwell on that – then it’s still a win in the end.

And if that doesn’t work, don’t worry. The whiskey and Sudafed should kick in soon.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Anyone else pumped for Khabib Nurgmedov v Tony Ferguson. For me MMA doesn't get much better than those too. On Mania weekend as well! I think I'm just going to have to bid my wife farewell for that entire weekend.

To actually breakdown the fight I worry about Ferguson's tendency to accept a take down and stay on the bottom. It is one thing to do that against normal wrestlers but Khabib is an absolute nightmare on the ground. He litteraly wrestled bears for training.

Whoever wins has to be the moral lightweight champion.

Really hoping Conor is in the crowd so we set up that Khabib match

The longer this whole thing goes on the less I think Conor is ever coming back into the cage unless it is to commit murder against Floyd Mayweather. To be fair to the guy too why should he come back? He certainly doesn't need the money and he has cemented his place as the only ever joint champion, as dubious as his 'reins' have been at either weight.

Huge news with Ferguson pulling out and Holloway replacing him on the card.

Yeah, I read that he just tripped over on a tv set. Oh all the damn things......

Holloway v Kahbib is pretty good but I just really wanted to see Ferguson v Khabib damnit. Still it is going to be a very very interesting fight.

Massive shame, at this point Khabib has to win because his streak against Conor is one of the last things that will sell huge. Conor will be back soon enough

I dunno, the longer he is out the less I think he will be back for anything other than a gimmie against Floyd Mayweather where he could literally have his way with the man in any way possible.