Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC/MMA Discussion

The Hurra Duff
    ^^^
    Saw the post on Dana White's FB account. Didn't know what happened. Very sad.

THE MONKEY
    Very sad story. He overcame so much after the car accident even though he never seemed the same. To die at 30 is such a tragic ending.

My understanding is he's apparently still alive, but the family has pretty much been told to say goodbye because the chances are near non existent.

THE MONKEY
    Won't go down as the prettiest but Hunt and Bigfoot just put on one hell of a fun fight.

rahman82
    technique be damned, sometimes a good old fashioned slugfest are the most entertaining

theyre both winners

Unbelievable.

THE MONKEY
    Just watched it again this morning so the wife could see it, Hunt is just an absurdly tough dude and props to both for staying in it. Who in the world had that going five rounds prior to the fight? Wonder if we'll get a rematch down the line since it was declared a majority draw.

The Hurra Duff
    Hell of a fight. The whole main card was great.

Shane Del Rosario has officially passed away.

GSP has relinquished the title, is taking an indefinite leave.

Time for a paper champ to take over.

THE MONKEY
    So Big Rig will more than likely be the next WW champion after all.

Ugh, Lawler vs Hendricks... Condit should be in there instead of Robbie.

THE MONKEY
    Yeah but Hendricks/Condit has already been done and it at least gives you a big match up to build towards until GSP comes back. You figure Johny beats Lawler and Condit beats Matt Brown whenever they reschedule that and then you have Hendricks/Condit II in late Summer/Early Fall. Then GSP comes back in 2015 and we have either GSP/Condit II or GSP/Hendricks II.

EDIT: Damn, barring injuries UFC 171 is gonna be crazy.

Jones/Teixera
    Hendricks/Lawler
    Condit/???

Dana didn't say Matt Brown (though he deserves it) but did say Condit would more than likely fight at 171 as well.
    Last edited by THE MONKEY; 12-13-2013 at 03:59 PM.

I just don't see Lawler as anyone deserving of a title shot. Condit, Hendricks, and Diaz have shown themselves as "elite" in some way, while guys like Brown and Lawler pulled off a few wins, while still showing lots of openings and weakness. Condit's 1-2 record doesn't show how he could have won those 2 fights. I understand he lost, but he lost in a way where you thought if they fought again it had a good chance of being a different story. Lawler's wins show the same in terms of losing in his own rematches, mostly vs Rory.

THE MONKEY
    Diaz in no way will I agree, at this point I'd say Nate>Nick but you are spot on for the most part. Rory has to be pissed, if he had pulled his head out of his ass he would have been fighting Hendricks. Though that's a terrible fight for Rory, at least he'd be in a title fight. Lawler I think can be real good when his focus is there and a fight with Johny is a great one on paper. Lawler can eat a shot and he'll stand and trade. It makes for an exciting co-main event. Though one that Hendricks should win fairly convincingly. Pending a Condit win, Condit/Hendricks II is a main event so it all works out and if timed right it still leads to the big money GSP rematch payoff regardless of the result. Of course Matt Brown could prove me wrong (don't get it twisted I like the guy a lot) and finish Condit and throw a wrench in the whole thing.

Calling it now though GSP vs Hendricks II or GSP vs Condit II will happen in 2015.

EDIT: Guess I spoke too soon, they moved the Jones fight again. Not sure I like Hendricks/Lawler to sell a PPV unless they stack the card.
    Last edited by THE MONKEY; 12-13-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Ugh...

Barring a hail mary, Lawler is getting laid on. Really hope he or Condit can find a way. Fuck Hendricks.

THE MONKEY
    Why would he get laid on? Not sure why you wouldn't like Hendricks but calling him a "lay-n-pray" guy and praising Askren is pretty crazy. Johny has 9 finishes out of 15 wins. Only time I've seen him really default to wrestling was the Condit fight and that's because he wasn't knocking him out (Condit is a beast on the feet) and I think he punched himself out. Condit is one of my favorite fighters but if you have a weakness, expect it to get exploited. Otherwise Condit might have beaten GSP and Hendricks.

I think Johny can knock out Lawler (even if it's only happened once before) and he probably will. Hopefully Condit gets Brown and not Woodley (dude is destined to be the next Anthony Johnson) and we get the rematch. Not saying Condit can't beat Woodley, I just don't think Woodley's frame is gonna help him at WW; he cuts too much weight. Shame Lombard got Shields next, would have been fun to see Woodley and Lombard just trade bombs.

I don't like Hendricks because he can't accept that he's not going to knock everyone out.

Instead of "GSP has a better chin than expected", it's "I was throwing at 70% and my hand wraps were done wrong and he was on steroids and it's not fair".

"Big Baby" would be a better nickname. All he does is whine and cry.

Oh, and it's funny, he's perfectly fine with shady decisions when they go his way, but it's an absolute travesty when he's on the wrong end of a decision. Give me a break. The guy is a gigantic douche.

THE MONKEY
    Only decision I can think of that was iffy was the Koscheck fight but I still though he won that fight.

I believe he wasn't throwing full power because he wanted to conserve his energy. Compare how he looked going five rounds with GSP to how he looked going three rounds with Condit. If Condit had two more rounds I think he would have took Johny because he punched himself out thinking he could knock out Condit.

I wouldn't say he was whining, he was asked questions the following week after the fight and he answered them. He also said next time he'll do more and won't leave it in the judges hands.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, just find it an odd guy to hate.

Can't wait for the fights tonight, gonna miss some of them live but will watch what I miss on DVR. Even with all the injuries it's a pretty damn good card

The Hurra Duff
    The Faber-MacDonald fight is the one I'm excited to watch.

That and Lauzon-Danzig.

God fucking damn, MM absolutely tuned Benevidez.

THE MONKEY
    ....and Bigfoot failed his drug test for elevated testosterone. His 50,000 portion of the FOTN bonus goes to Hunt and he is suspended for 9 months.

Also Condit/Woodley is official for UFC 171 with a solid chance that Condit gets a title shot if he wins.

Bigfoot is already making excuses. Guys a chump.

THE MONKEY
    On one hand you feel for the guy since he very much has legit medical issues but at the same time this isn't the first instance he's been busted. Plus who the hell corresponds with their physician via email.

They need to do away with TRT all together. Shit is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    I've yet to hear a convincing reason to allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    Agreed.

Seeing Alistair Overeem and Todd Duffee apply for and get TUE's is fucking hilarious.

If you're a high level athlete and need TRT, something is fucked.

Deamon
    TRT is a big reason why I don't like Belfort right now, because honestly why does he need it? Giving him the next Middleweight title shot while he's on TRT is iffy.

THE MONKEY
    TRT itself isn't the issue. It's not like guys on TRT are allowed to be at a different levels than fighters not on it; case in point see Big Foot's recent suspension. The problem is the vast majority of fighters on TRT are on it because they screwed up their bodies natural ability to produce testosterone by putting something in their body that they shouldn't have at some point in their career (ie Vitor Belfort). While I definitely wouldn't make a fuss if TRT was eventually banned from MMA I'm fairly indifferent towards it. The worse thing it does is let athletes compete at an elite level longer than they would normally. It's no secret that Belfort needs to take TRT now because of him using various steroids early in his career. What makes no sense to me is "Belfort on the juice" is often praised while "Belfort on TRT" is often panned. Belfort is mainly the exception to the TRT rule in the sense of he's really the only surging fighter on it. Look at some of the more notable names with TRT exceptions: Chael Sonnen, Dan Henderson, Frank Mir, Forrest Griffin, and Todd Duffee. None of those guys have exactly set the world on fire, Sonnen is about 2-3 fights away from being a full time broadcaster, Henderson may possibly never fight in the UFC again after a 3 fight skid to end his most recent UFC contract, Mir is in a do-or-die fight with Overeem, Griffin retired, and Duffee at a young age has already shown he can't compete with elite strikers.

As for title shots why not? Sonnen got 3 title shots on TRT and only came close to winning in the first one in which Silva was hurt and Sonnen's testosterone levels were FOUR TIMES what is allowed (16:9:1 versus the highest allowable being 4:1) hell he managed to get two more title shots after his test fail.

DBPanterA
    Anyone else pumped for Saturday???

Heck, even the undercard is stacked. Two of my favorite guys, Chris Leben (no chance of winning) and "Zee German" Dennis Siver on in action. Saturday will have a preposterous amount of devastation and glory!!!!!

THE MONKEY
    Crazy excited. Been saying all week that Wednesday was Christmas for my kids and Saturday is Christmas for me.

DBPanterA
    The UFC has some absolute monster cards coming up over the next few months. Almost every card has major names and multiple interesting matches. That card in Dallas in March looks incredible (Jones/Texeria and Hendricks/Lawler).

I will throw this here: I am a big Brock Lesnar fan but did not watch WWE during his first stint. News is breaking all over about his possible return to the Octagon. The UFC could use him as his PPV buy-rate was always very high; however, he doesn't have the skills in MMA to be a top contender today, and his incredible wrestling is not enough (seen in his last few UFC matches). I feel it is all a smoke screen to get WWE to extend his contract and put him in WWE-career beneficial match at WM30. I know everyone says Undertaker, but you can crucify my for saying this, but the way the Undertaker treated Lesnar after he lost his UFC Championship to Cain was not cool, and Lesnar is not someone with a short memory. I feel this is his way of getting out from that Undertaker match at WM30 to face someone else. If that match occurs, it could get real ugly.....

THE MONKEY
    Jones/Texira got moved so Hendricks/Lawler is the main event. Sucks because that would have been sick.

The Lesnar thing definitely could be a power move but I don't even think that. I just think it's something that got made up when GSP walked away. Rumor is saying he'll be at UFC 168 so we'll know soon. Lesnar has never attended a UFC event as a fan, it's always been business related. So if he's there, he's talking to Dana even if nothing comes out of it or it's just a negotiation tool against WWE.

The Hurra Duff
    Lesnar got his ass kicked his last two UFC fights esp. the Overeem fight.

Don't wanna see him get killed again.

THE MONKEY
    Oh wow, Diego Brandao came in 8 lbs. heavy for his featherweight bout with Poirier. That really isn't gonna look good when Dustin subs him tomorrow night.

The Hurra Duff
    Can't wait for the fights tonight.

THE MONKEY
    Me either. Pretty interested in the Fight Pass they just announced too. To me it's worth it based on the library you get alone. Full libraries for UFC, Pride. WEC, EliteXC, Strikeforce, Affliction and WFA as well as 10 exclusive live cards a year. All content is free through the end of Feb.

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-launches...pass-on-ufc-tv

So who is everybody picking tonight? Here's my picks

Prelims
    John Howard by Decision
    Dennis Siver by Decision
    Gleison Tibau by Decision (Johnson is too streaky, not willing to bet he's changed based on the Lauzon fight alone)
    Uriah Hall by Decision (hopefully he actually fights this time)

Main
    Poirier by Submission
    Miller by Submission
    Barnett by Decision
    Rousey by Submission
    Silva by TKO

I do think Tate is going to take Rousey further than the first and may even put Rousey in trouble, but I think Rousey still gets the sub.

Silva/Weidman is interesting and Chris certainly has the tools, I just am not sure I'm ready to bet the house on him just yet. I will say though if Chris wins, I think he subs Silva. Will be shocked to see Silva knocked out again and really is the only scenario that I think Silva should walk away if it happens. Losing to Weidman isn't bad, being knocked out twice though will definitely put Silva in a weird spot.

I do like Chris a lot though but Silva is probably the most entertaining fighter we'll ever see so I can't say I'm ready for him to start looking completely vincible. Either way this is the most I've been excited for a card top to bottom in a while.

Great night so far. I am basically posting to remind myself that I should write a column about MMA rivalries that would make great wrestling storylines. Example, face push like Tate vs heel Rousey.

Edit
    Shit. That is a shame on so many levels.

Sid just pored a 40 for him.

God damn... god damn it.

I am not going to enjoy seeing that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    I am not going to enjoy seeing that again.
    I doubt UFC will show that too much. They had very few replays on the PPV, and then obviously looked for other stuff to air instead of hanging on to that seriously sad turn of events. I'm not much of a fan of the Spider, but nobody wants that.