Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC/MMA Discussion

THE MONKEY
    So Little Nog has apparently already pulled out of the fight with Gustafsson just 5 days after it was announced. Chael Sonnen had some golden tweets about it.

Lil Nog: the only man who has 'no-showed' more times than Axl Rose.

He fights less than Ghandi

FOR SALE: MMA GLOVES Never used. Contact Lil' Nog, 1 Fragile Chicken Road, No-Show, Brazil

He signs his contracts in disappearing ink

He gets hurt more than Johnny Knoxville

Too bad he can't list his profession as "Fight Avoider" on his tax return

Maybe Dos Santos can lend Lil Nog his heart while his face heals

He's the "Carmen Sandiego" of MMA

Instead of a contract, Joe Silva faxes him a Missing Person's Report

it's Halloween. Lil' Nog went as a FIGHTER

But he didn't fool anybody and got no candy

@AlexTheMauler You didn't hafta be KRESKIN to predict it.
    No new opponent announced yet but your choices are slim. He could rematch Phil Davis (whom subbed him early) though they are training partners. Cormier, whom wants the fight but has expressed that he doesn't want his first fight at 205 to be outside of the states due to the weight cut. Mousasi whom was originally supposed to debut against Gustafsson in the UFC but Gustafsson pulled out last minute. The other option is Rashad Evans BUT he really isn't a valuable opponent unless he beats Chael, which really is far from set in stone with his lack of motivation lately. If Dana wants to ultimately book the Jones/Gustafsson rematch then Evans probably be his first choice. If Evans wins Gustafsson should be able to give Rashad the same problems that Jones gave him and score the decision win. On the flip side Mousasi would be the better fight from a fan perspective but Mousasi is a bit of a wild card in terms of not always knowing what you'll get. Sometimes you get a killer and sometimes you get the Mousasi that lets King Mo beat him up.

EDIT: Well it won't be Mousasi, he's been confirmed to face Machida Feb. 8th in Brazil
    Last edited by THE MONKEY; 11-01-2013 at 08:09 PM.

rahman82
    damn Henderson, I like both guys so i wasnt pulling for one or the other but i expected more from Henderson, isnt this like Henderson's 3rd straight loss?

THE MONKEY
    Yeah though I don't think two very close split decisions would have hurt him much especially if he had won. However being in his 40's being knocked out for the first time in his career AND now having three losses in a row really is going to hurt. That was actually the last fight on his contract too so it's very possible that the UFC might not resign him. Henderson said he doesn't want to think about retirement for at least another two years (before the fight) so if the UFC does let him go I guess he'll end up in either Bellator or WSOF.

Crazy night of fights last night in general with a lot of finishes.

The Hurra Duff
    Did Henderson lose his balance or get tagged before the finish?

Couldn't tell but it looked like he slipped and Belfort pounced.

THE MONKEY
    Belfort landed a nasty uppercut as Henderson came in, it literally happened so fast I missed it until the replay and thought he had slipped myself.

Looks like Petitis is hurt (again) and his title fight with Josh Thomson is off of UFC on Fox 9 and will be replaced with the Johnson vs Benavidez II for the Flyweight title

The Hurra Duff
    That sucks. Was really looking forward to seeing Pettis/Thomson.

rahman82
    Jones vs Teixeira slated for Feb.22

THE MONKEY
    LAS VEGAS – A day after Jon Jones was announced as the headliner of UFC 170, the light heavyweight champion has been scratched from the card.

UFC President Dana White today confirmed the bizarre news, though he declined to elaborate on the reason. In fact, he said he learned of Jones unavailability just before today’s UFC 167 press conference in Las Vegas.

However, White said Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) will still fight Glover Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) in his next bout, and it could take place as early as March.

That was short lived

Dana's confirmed that Woman's 115 will join as the next division in the UFC.

Definitely amped for this. Some really good fighters at the 115 level including Carla Esperza, Bec Hyatt and Joanne Calderwood. Felice Herrig is notable as well despite not being as good.

The Hurra Duff
    Guess the news on Anthony Pettis isn't good.

Torn PCL. He won't be fighting for awhile.

THE MONKEY
    WTF....GSP lost that fight, this is absurd.

EDIT: Media score cards:

Bloody Elbow: 48-47 Hendricks
    Sherdog: 48-47 Hendricks, 48-47 Hendricks, 48-47 Hendricks
    Mania: 48-47 Hendricks
    MMAFighting: 48-47 Hendricks
    MMAWeekly: 48-47 Hendricks
    MMAJunkie: 48-47 Hendricks
    Bleacher Report: 48-47 Hendricks
    Sports Illustrated: 49-47 Hendricks
    Yahoo Sports: 48-47 Hendricks
    Last edited by THE MONKEY; 11-17-2013 at 01:56 AM.

I am not defending the decision, but I think it's easy for people to be swayed into believing Hendricks won due to the damage on GSP's face, while according to the strike tally, GSP landed more, while being pretty even on takedowns. I don't know the round by round tallies, but I don't feel it was absurd. But I gave the fight to Hendricks.

THE MONKEY
    Nah has nothing to do with damage, GSP's face damages easy. I mean he dominated Condit for the most part and looked way worse than him afterwards. Absurd in the sense that it was about as clear cut as possible a 3-2 decision can be. In hindsight I'm sure that Hendricks regrets going into cruise control in the 5th round. Basically took his "Weidman" moment away and with GSP walking away he may not get another shot. Even GSP's corner told him he was down 3-1 going into the 5th.

How any Judge could award GSP the first round is insanity let alone two of them doing so. Ugh.

The Hurra Duff
    Hendricks clearly won that fight. Ruined what was a great night of fights.

Clearly won that fight? I can't agree with that at all. It was a close fight, with each obviously winning 1 round, and 3 of them which were toss ups.

As for why someone would give the first round to GSP, he had more significant strikes, and both nailed a takedown.
    http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/11/...icial-ufc.html

THE MONKEY
    Watching the press conference now, Dana White bitching heavily about the decision already. LOL, lots of F-Bombs.

EDIT: "I'm a fight promoter, this is a business and GSP is my biggest PPV draw so I should be like WOO HOO these idiots gave it to Georges, but it's not fair."
    Last edited by THE MONKEY; 11-17-2013 at 02:34 AM.

The Hurra Duff
    GSP won round 2 IMO and maybe round 3. Hendricks won 1, 4 and 5.

And no surprise Dana's dropping the F bomb. That's one of the few words he uses.

THE MONKEY
    Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    Clearly won that fight? I can't agree with that at all. It was a close fight, with each obviously winning 1 round, and 3 of them which were toss ups.

As for why someone would give the first round to GSP, he had more significant strikes, and both nailed a takedown.
    http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/11/...icial-ufc.html

GSP had 1 more significant strike and Hendricks had 1 more total strikes in Round 1. Yes they both landed a takedown BUT Hendricks stuffed one of GSP's takedowns giving him the slight wrestling edge.

The Hurra Duff
    May need to go back and watch the fight again when I'm not pissed off.

rahman82
    watching the post show on FS1, White said GSP isnt retired and he can't retire until he comes back and does the right thing and give Hendricks an immediate rematch. He also laid a lot of blame on the NSAC and that he's afraid to bring fights to Vegas.

The Hurra Duff
    Wonder what personal things GSP was referring to after the fight?

I know he's got a role in the next Captain America movie.

Every other sport hires their own refs and appoints their own staffs. UFC needs to move in that direction. MMA needs to stop being fought under Boxing rules.

THE MONKEY
    They are screwed either way you go. If the judges work for UFC, then everybody talking about fight fixing will be even worse.

GloryholeThemePark
    3s416u.jpg

I had Hendricks winning 1,2 and 4 but fuck almighty did he come as as douchey in the Post Fight Press Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    Every other sport hires their own refs and appoints their own staffs. UFC needs to move in that direction. MMA needs to stop being fought under Boxing rules.
    This, so much this.

THE MONKEY
    Not sure how he came off as a douche, if anything I think he held his composure well for somebody whom had a shit ton of money fall out of their hands.

Re-watched the fight this morning.

Round 1 - As said the wrestling wasn't much to speak of. Both landed a takedown and didn't do much with it. If you view it as a factor though Hendricks stuffed a GSP takedown so to me would get a slight edge. GSP really didn't land much of anything significant outside of a head kick. Hendricks showed more octagon control by spending a good deal of the round with GSP pinned against the cage while he worked the body and thighs.

Round 2 - For the first 3 minutes Johnny landed some pretty good shots. GSP did get his boxing going towards the end of the round though and started to work his jab fairly well. Stat wise the vast bulk of his strikes came in the end of this round and the next round.

Round 3 - This was the opposite of round 2 and in terms of strikes GSP landed his most successful combinations in this round. Johny did a little bit towards the end of the round and even landed a takedown but didn't do much with it.

Round 4 - The most decisive round. Hendricks was backing up GSP and which caused him to slip and allowed Hendricks to get in a dominant top position for a bit and do some damage. Also landed some pretty solid shots overall in the round.

Round 5- Hendricks didn't do much of anything offensively mainly was trying to avoid doing something dumb and allowing GSP to finish him it seemed. GSP didn't have a ton of offense either BUT he did land 2 takedowns in this round and overall seemed to be the more aggressive of the two.

Johny wins rounds 1,2, and 4
    GSP wins rounds 3 and 5

Hendricks 48-47, pretty much the exact way I saw it last night and I still can't really see how anybody scored the first for GSP.

EDIT: Oh wow, people actually trying to argue that Hendricks tapped in the first round:

Yeah, because that choke was so deep....
    Last edited by THE MONKEY; 11-17-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by THE MONKEY View Post
    GSP had 1 more significant strike and Hendricks had 1 more total strikes in Round 1. Yes they both landed a takedown BUT Hendricks stuffed one of GSP's takedowns giving him the slight wrestling edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    I am not defending the decision... I gave the fight to Hendricks.
    I'm not arguing with you, merely pointing out why someone saw it a different way.

THE MONKEY
    Oh no it's all good, not really trying to argue either. Though rewatching the fight this morning I got to think those "significant" strike totals are off as it didn't seem like GSP landed much in that opening round in terms of significant shots.

I do like GSP though, just don't think he won that fight. Really hope he gives agrees to stick around and give Hendricks a rematch done the line. With that and a more than likely Gus/Jones rematch (if both win their next bouts) we could already be heading towards some big fights for next year.

rahman82
    LAS VEGAS – Whatever is going on with UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, it’s apparently causing him major distress.

“I can’t sleep at night, man,” he told MMAjunkie following Saturday’s UFC 167. “I’m going crazy. I have issues and I need to get out for a while. I don’t know what I’m going to do.
    that doesnt sound good, I dont know his contract situation, how many fight he's got left or whatever but if he's saying he's going crazy then i think White needs to let him have the time

A Professional Sort Of
    If he wants time off, he should vacate the title. I'm sure White will let GSP fight again for the title IF he wants to come back.

THE MONKEY
    GSP probably just wants time to live a normal life for a bit. You figure for every fight there is a 6-8 week training camp, he fights 2-3 times a year so that's anywhere from 12-24 weeks dedicated strictly to a fight. He has to promote the fight during that time so you are constantly going from t.v to radio to photoshoot pretty non-stop during that time. Being such a high caliber fighter he even does quite a bit of promotional stuff when he's not fighting. Plus you have to figure that he's not too far removed from a pretty serious injury that put him on the shelf for a bit and he's taken a pretty decent beating in 2/3 of his last fights (even though he had a pretty dominant performance against Condit). Also add in that he has the pressure of knowing that a lot of people's paychecks are riding on him. I think he's just burned out at performing at such a high level for so long. I'd like to see him fight once more before taking a hiatus but it's obviously his call. I would honestly tell GSP that I could give him a year off and I'd make an interim champ, if he wants more than a year than I'll have to strip him and let him make the choice. Obviously when he came back he could still fight for the belt though.

EDIT: Take with a grain of salt

Now, sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ Sports ... Georges' dad is dying and it's derailed him.

And there's this ... GSP recently learned he knocked up a woman -- and he doesn't want to have a baby with her but she insists on keeping it.
    Last edited by THE MONKEY; 11-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Hendricks got gifted decisions against Koscheck and Condit. He should probably stop crying. Maybe go more than 70% next time and don't coast through the final round.

I kinda hope the UFC does sign Askren now. As much as I despise Askren, seeing him lay on Hendricks for five rounds would be amazing.
    Last edited by Killswitch; 11-19-2013 at 12:15 AM.

THE MONKEY
    Koscheck fight was close but Hendricks won. As much as I like Condit, Hendricks beat him 2 rounds to 1. Now if it was a five round fight, I think Carlos would have won though. Johny was definitely losing gas.

You are delusional if you think Askren would do anything in the UFC. GSP's wrestling is way better than Askren's and he couldn't show his normal dominance against Johny. In fact Johny out wrestled GSP in some of the earlier rounds, it wasn't until the 5th round that GSP was able to not have his takedowns stuffed.

I want Askren in the UFC just so he can find out exactly how poorly he fares against the true top guys. The guy is not even a top 10 WW. I mean he barely squeaked out a win against Jay Hieron in his only high profile name win. The same Hieron whom lost all four of his UFC bouts in two tenures and who must recently got absolutely dominated by Ellenbergr for 3 rounds and knocked out by Woodley in 36 seconds.

EDIT: LOL Askren really is desperate. He says he'll fight Rory for free and he'll retire if Rory beats him.
    Last edited by THE MONKEY; 11-19-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Askren's wrestling is on a level Hendricks and GSP couldn't dream of touching. His scrambling ability is second to absolutely nobody in MMA.

Askren would run over Rory MacDonald. It pains me to say that cause I'm a huge fan of R-Mac, but it's true. Rory would have absolutely nothing for him.

As for his ranking, he's currently ranked #6 in the world by Sherdog.

As one dimensional as he is, the guy is a machine. He doesn't stop. He stays on you and grinds you into dust.

THE MONKEY
    Even though Rory has been very tentative in his last two bouts, I think he more than likely beats Askren. Since "Funky" wouldn't pose no threat in the striking department I think Rory would let his hands go again. Rory may lack one punch knockout power but he is very capable of putting some awesome combinations together.

I think Ben's best chance against a top WW would be Condit. Condit's takedown defense is very suspect and if Ben could avoid submissions from the bottom he may have a shot. Problem is he better shoot for the takedown to start each round because Condit would demolish him on the feet. Even then I'd probably still pick Condit, it just would be the best chance for Ben.

Ben being ranked #6 is hilarious considering he's never beaten anybody who was even ranked. I could understand having him as a HM, but ranking in the top 10 is just wrong on so many levels. Sadly we'll never get to see Ben get smashed in the UFC because even Bjorn didn't want him anymore and Dana has already said he'll pass. Guess it's off to WSOF.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rogan

"I think Georges should retire," said Rogan. "One of the reasons I think Georges should retire is he was on my podcast and he was talking about being abducted by aliens. I was going, 'you think you've been abducted by aliens?' He starts talking about missing time. He started talking about driving his car and all of a sudden he's at home and he has no idea [how] he got there. I think it's head kicks.

"That fight he had some serious memory loss (at UFC 167). I think he's taken too many shots. An interesting statistic is that Georges has taken more punches and kicks in the last three fights than any of his fights, ever. In fact, 50% of the shots he's taken his entire career were in the last three fights. I think he should get out. I know the UFC probably doesn't want to hear me say that. I know that could be a huge rematch.

"I think they should just give Johny Hendricks the belt. I think Johny Hendricks won that fight. I think there's real problems with judging and I don't think there should be a way for a guy to win a fight, but yet lose a fight."
    I think Rogan has a point. GSP has taken some serious damage in his last few fights and maybe it's taken a toll on him. If GSP is really having issues with losing time like that then he definitely needs to call it a day. He's still very young and there is no reason to potentially risk irreversible damage.

I don't agree with just giving Johny the belt, I hope that's taken out of context as that would be crazy. Whether I feel he won or not isn't the point, GSP won the fight and just handing someone a belt for free opens the flood gates. IF GSP walks away then you have a mini 8 man tourney to determine a new champ.
    Last edited by THE MONKEY; 11-19-2013 at 03:44 PM.

The Hurra Duff
    Hendricks may be medically suspended for six months after injuring his knee Saturday night according to Yahoosports.com.

THE MONKEY
    I wouldn't look too much into it, guys get lengthy medicals suspensions all the time pending being cleared by a physician. Just a precautionary measure more than anything. He was walking around fine after the fight so it's doubtful to being anything serious.

Jacare vs Carmont has been added to the Feb. 15 Fight Night card (headlined by Machinda/Mousasi). Pulling for Jacare, really hate Carmont's fights. He dominated Costa in his last fight but did absolutely nothing.

The Hurra Duff
    Josh Thomson gets Benson Henderson January 25 at UFC on FOX 10 since Pettis is hurt.

That oughta be a good fight.

Shane Del Rosario is on life support following a heart attack. Doctors are expected to pull the plug tomorrow morning if he doesn't react to treatment, as he is apparently brain dead and the family has been told to say goodbye.