Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Chris Jericho Thread

A Professional Sort Of

The Chris Jericho Thread

For those who want to talk about Jericho and stuff.

And for those who want to find out about in 1004 moves... http://droptoehold.com/post/56163223...os-1-004-holds

The Brain
    From his heel turn in '08 through his departure in '10, he had an honest to god claim to the best all around performer in the business. His heel work in that time was otherworldly. Honestly, haven't really cared for anything he's done in his returns though. His heart hardly seems to be in it now, more's the pity.

A Professional Sort Of
    ^^ I couldn't agree more. I was fortunate enough to see Fozzy play while they were in Australia a few years back and it seemed that Y2J was very passionate during those performances, more so than walking into a WWE ring anymore. There is always a place for Y2J if he decided to come back for another half-year but honestly I think he is quite well off where he is financially speaking.

The Cool No. 9
    He's my favorite of all time.

Even more than Drew?

"Jericho said the whole deal for his return was made in about 5 minutes with Triple H on Friday"

If this is true, Chris does a great job staying in shape on the road.

I'm looking forward to him working with Wyatt. Foley said something rather astute on Facebook about Wyatt will bring out a new side of Jericho, which is invariably true. Chris faced the Undertaker as a heel, but he never really worked with a true evil heel as a face like Wyatt.

Also, but the article on the MP, it sounds like Jericho had lots of input on how the angle would go down. If so, Jericho should be hired as a writer full time as soon as his schedule allows, as that segment was one of the most shocking and impressive things on Raw in a long time. I'm sure he could add a lot to the current roster and writing staff.

^ I agree completely. My wish for this feud is for it to just get a lot of TV time and to maybe limit Jericho's wrestling to just purposeful, meaningful matches. I know its an unpopular opinion but as much as well as know Jericho/Cesaro or Jericho/Rollins would likely be great matches, I think saving Jericho's in-ring return would be a nice selling point for the next PPV (or whatever they're called now). Maybe that could even be Jericho/Harper, which Jericho could somehow win using his cunning (doesn't have to be super clean). The next week or so, he beats Erick Rowan in a similar fashion - decisively, but not necessarily "straight up" as much as using guile. This leads to Jericho vs. Wyatt at SummerSlam, but before then, we also get Jericho & Usos vs. The Wyatt Clan. By my count, that means Jericho works 4 matches on TV/Network in the next two months. This may be TOO limited, but the more Jericho wrestles, the less "special" he seems. We saw it happen to Batista and, to be honest, its something that made Jericho's last run so "meh."

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    the more Jericho wrestles, the less "special" he seems. We saw it happen to Batista and, to be honest, its something that made Jericho's last run so "meh."
    I think what made Jericho's last run so meh was him losing all over the place.

I too wanna see Jericho V Harper at Battleground. It would be a good match and a win to make Y2J seem like more of a threat.

Squared
    So I had an e-mail from Ring of Honor advertising the Jericho Cruise, and how a lot of their talent will be appearing on the trip. He's also going to have that big match at Wrestle Kingdom, and NJPW have a pretty good working relationship with RoH too.

My question for you guys is whether this is a one-off, or if this is a more substantial relationship developing and we might see Jericho work a major spot for RoH some time in the future?

Squared
    No one got any strong feelings about this possibility then?

The Brain
    I would be flabbergasted if Jericho did any ROH dates, to be honest. I don't think he wants to put that much strain on his WWE relationship, plus it's one thing to be in front of 60,000 in the Tokyo Dome, and quite another to play to well under 10% of that back in the states.

I mean i guess he could do Cody's event if he wanted. This is all spectulation, I have no clue what Jericho wants to do but he's not beholden to WWE so in theory he could do whatever he wanted.

It seems like this Omega match is strictly a one off before he goes back to WWE later in 2018, but who knows. I wouldn't expect an ROH appearance, but it wouldn't stun me at all if he appeared on Cody's show or if he went down to Mexico and did one last match for CMLL. Like I said when this match was announced, Jericho is far closer to the end of his career than he is the beginning. I wouldn't doubt that he's aware of that and may want to go back and work places he used to work before making it big. New Japan and CMLL would both fit that criteria as that's where he started building his name before ECW and WCW came calling.

The Brain
    I would be really surprised if he popped up in CMLL, but at the same time that's actually more intriguing to me than his New Japan date.

Squared
    No, I was just interested because of the RoH guys on the cruise that he was running. But I guess if Jericho and Cody have got one thing in common, it's that they know how to hustle and make a deal, so maybe it's just that and no more.

Mexico is an interesting possibility. I hadn't thought of it before and I probably wouldn't see it because outside of the Americanized version we got in WCW I don't really 'get' it, but it's been, what, 25 years since he's worked for CMLL, so there's a hell of a symmetry to it if he wants to work there in 2018.

Jericho doing a world tour if the indys would be very cool. Why not come to Hunter Valley Wrestling Jericho? They probably can't afford a hotel for you but you can sleep in my spare room if you like.

More seriously do think he returns to the WWE in 2018 and if he does will he bring this more spiteful, violent character with him?

Has anyone been reading the front page here about Y2J dedicating his match to a murderer and all these tool commentors sticking up for Benoit....absolute bana land here. Never seen anything like it. Dude's wife files for divorce in 2003 due to domestic violence and fear for the childs safety, she withdraws it....then the guy kills his wife by strangling her, the next day kills his son by smothering his face, then cowardly takes his own life. But yeah you would think he is a saint reading some of the stuff on the main page news comment section. These are the same people that rip Roman Reigns for being pushed but want to forgive a cold blooded killer because he was a "good technician" in fake wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by American Mikey P View Post
    Has anyone been reading the front page here about Y2J dedicating his match to a murderer and all these tool commentors sticking up for Benoit....absolute bana land here. Never seen anything like it. Dude's wife files for divorce in 2003 due to domestic violence and fear for the childs safety, she withdraws it....then the guy kills his wife by strangling her, the next day kills his son by smothering his face, then cowardly takes his own life. But yeah you would think he is a saint reading some of the stuff on the main page news comment section. These are the same people that rip Roman Reigns for being pushed but want to forgive a cold blooded killer because he was a "good technician" in fake wrestling.
    I don't agree with you often but I agree completely with you here. I don't care if he's a good technician, the guy is a murdering scumbag.

I third that. People think that all because he was a good technician, it redeems his crimes. There are also nuts who claim he didn't do it.

Playing devil's advocate here.

Do any of you discount the hall of fame career of OJ Simpson? The man was one of the all time greatest running backs in history, but then he "killed his wife". I put that in quotes b/c he got off in the court of law. Pro football does not shy away from talking about Simpson's credentials on the field because of what he did off the field.

So why can't anyone talk about Benoit's career and credentials in the ring prior to his horrific acts?

Are people making drawings of OJ as an angel or guiding spirit? Are other players dedicating games in his honor? OJ doesn't get the hero treatment like Benoit does, at least from what I have seen.

I hear you, just asking a question.

Oh I understand. I think the hatred for OJ is pretty much universal.

I dont remember the last time if any, that the NFL spoke about OJ Simpson's accomplishments on the field....I watch a fair share of Football , and I do not recall the NFL praising OJ's accomplishments in the last decade maybe two decades. Football is also real wrestling is not so can't just wipe him out of the record books just like MLB can't wipe out Pete Rose, wrestling for all incentive purposes is a scripted TV show. Pretty sure though you can watch Benoit on the Network which Im fine with....history is history even scripted.

Is his name still on the Buffalo Ring of Honor and UFCs ring of honor, I dont know if it is or not, i think it might be but thats on those individual teams and institutions to take down not the NFL...I know if I owned them I wouldn't have them in my stadium.

Most people today don't even know OJ for his football talent, during his trials many knew him as an actor, today he's remembered as a murderer as he should be.....I hope the same with Benoit but most people do not even know who the guy is which is fine by me.

IMO for a decade now these nerdy fans as I call them have had their minds in a pretzel about Benoit. No forgiveness for people like Hogan, HHH, Vince, ect but Benoit oh lets separate the wrestler from the murderer.......and now Y2J gave them an excuse and a rallying cry to do so. I'm a fan of Y2J but not a good look.

The reaction to Benoit is childish. Yes, what he did was absolutely horrible, but it was a complicated situation. Benoit clearly had serious mental health issues in the years after Eddie's death, and the consensus seems to be that he snapped and did the murders. Regardless, virtually almost everyone who knew Benoit said that that was 'not the person they knew', and it's not as if he was some sort of secret psychopathic serial killer who lead a double life. He was from all accounts a pretty upstanding guy (his bullying of rookies, and domestic abuse of Nancy notwithstanding), who was a super nice, devoted, loving father and husband who ended up, for a lack of a better term, 'going crazy'. If his friends and family want to separate what he did in the last 48 hours of his life, from the other 40 years of it, because of how surreal and disconnected the last 48 hours seem to be, I see nothing wrong with that. It's completely understandable, everyone deals with these sort of dark and muddied situations in their own way. Had he only stopped at the double murder, and not done the suicide, and stood trial, who is to say what would have happened, he may as well have just as likely been institutionalized and declared mentally unfit for trial rather than been sentenced. The situation was complicated.

Put aside the petty outrage, and try some empathy or something. Also, trying to shoe-horn a comparison to Roman fucking Reigns to this is pretty disgusting and sick, Mikey. It's almost as if you're trying to score cheap Internet points against a caricature of 'Roman haters' rather than the very serious issue of Benoit. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Last edited by Allystare; 01-05-2018 at 02:54 AM.

It is compilcated in that we're just fans who have never met Benoit or knew him personally. Jericho was one of his closest friends. I'm sure he feels awful about what happened, he's talked to Nancy's sister on his podcast and its pretty grisly and sick to listen about the details but also there is some light in there and trying to reconcile what happened to the person Chris was for his closest friends and family.. Jericho isn't like shouting from the rooftops for Benoit to be acknowleged by WWE, put in the Hall of fame, he rarely if ever talks about him... Sure, he didn't have to say anything about the fan art but he's in japan, in probably a time capsule situation in the twilight of his career preparing for a big match... and reacted.

Fans need to chill out imo.

That too. I love the fact Mikey's suddenly decided that he - and not Jericho -is the real expert on the topic of Benoit, his life, how his extended family dealt with the Benoit situation and so on. The level of narcissism and self-righteousness dressed up as moral outrage is astronomic.

I dont remember the last time if any, that the NFL spoke about OJ Simpson's accomplishments on the field....I watch a fair share of Football , and I do not recall the NFL praising OJ's accomplishments in the last decade maybe two decades. Football is also real wrestling is not so can't just wipe him out of the record books just like MLB can't wipe out Pete Rose, wrestling for all incentive purposes is a scripted TV show. Pretty sure though you can watch Benoit on the Network which Im fine with....history is history even scripted.

Is his name still on the Buffalo Ring of Honor and UFCs ring of honor, I dont know if it is or not, i think it might be but thats on those individual teams and institutions to take down not the NFL...I know if I owned them I wouldn't have them in my stadium.

Most people today don't even know OJ for his football talent, during his trials many knew him as an actor, today he's remembered as a murderer as he should be.....I hope the same with Benoit but most people do not even know who the guy is which is fine by me.

IMO for a decade now these nerdy fans as I call them have had their minds in a pretzel about Benoit. No forgiveness for people like Hogan, HHH, Vince, ect but Benoit oh lets separate the wrestler from the murderer.......and now Y2J gave them an excuse and a rallying cry to do so. I'm a fan of Y2J but not a good look.
    It is also not the point whether the NFL is real or a scripted TV show. If/when the NFL does their all time lists, or talks about the greatest running backs of all time, they mention OJ Simpson and his on the field accomplishments. But to your point of "I do not recall the NFL praising OJ's accomplishments in the last decade maybe two decades.", when was the last time the NFL mentioned Terry Bradshaw for winning 4 Superbowls? or Jim Brown's accomplishments. They do not really talk about them because they played and finished their careers over 30 years ago. Hell even Jerry Rice isn't spoke of all that often of.

AND are you seriously mentioning Pete Rose? Rose IMHO is being treated like a pariah because he broke the "sacred rule" of Baseball. All he ever did as bet on his own team to win. Rose should be reinstated into the game and he should be in the Hall of Fame. What he did on the field is arguably one of the most impressive careers of all time. Also Rose never committed a heinous crime of killing anyone. YTou comparing Simpson and Benoit to Rose is like comparng getting a ticket for not fully stopping at a stop sign to killing someone while Drink Driving. Please.

Regardless, the NFL can separate the what the man did off the filed from what he did on the field.

I do not need to know Benoit just like I do not need to know hitler to know he is a bad person. Christ Benoit is a murderer .... I know for a lot of you heís your hero because he was a mat technician What ever that is but the guy is a murderer. Learn to accept it. Scum of the earth......and I LOVE ďnot withstanding the domestic abuse of his wifeĒ quote ..... hahahaha what the hell is wrong with you. The guy beat his wife for years she lived in fear for her childís life for years because of this man..,,but by all means heís a stand up guy.Thats disgusting you would even say that absolutely disgusting . Men especially freak athletes that put their hands on women and kids are Fn losers. I love how this has turned into an attack of my character because I think Benoit is scum for killing a child.

I agree on Pete Rose he should be in the HoF the example was that they canít erase him from their history books because its a real sport. Pro wrestling is a fictional story being told they can change whatever they want they have a little more flexibility there maybe Iím nit explaining that point too strongly.
    Last edited by American Mikey P; 01-05-2018 at 01:40 PM.

The point wasn't that Benoit wasn't scum, he clearly was. its that Jericho was his friend and still has fond memories of their time together marred by the killings of course but I feel like its understandable for someone to react the way Jericho has, in a total wrestling context. He's not saying Benoit was a great guy.

If someone you knew did awful things and you were close friends with them would you totally erase and block those good memories? I don't think I'd be able to and it would piss me off.

Imagine your best friend for over 20 years, possibly your entire life. Then one weekend he snaps and kills his wife, and then kills his son, and then kills himself. For 20-30 years, you have never seen him do anything remotely close to that. You two are as close as brothers, yet you have never know him to have any sort of tendencies like this.

But that weekend happens. Are you supposed to just say that he was the scum of the earth because of the final few days of the most heinous crimes? Would the memories of you and your best friend just get wiped out? Would you still not be able to look back on your life with your friend with fond memories because of what he did?

Mikey you would, and you know you would. You are being everything that you claim to hate. You are either trolling the board to drum up responses, or you are being deliberatly close minded.

No one is condoning Benoit, and no one is saying what he did was ok. All we are saying is that Jericho and others who were close to Benoit, who knew him best, miss their friend regardless of how the final weekend of his life panned out. AND fans appreciate what Benoit did in the entertainment industry that he was part of, and miss the matches he was able to create. We despise him for what he did, but can appreciate his work PRIOR to his murder and suicide.

I appreciate Ray Lewis' football career, but I hate him, and all of the things that people sweep under the rug about him, when he was an accomplice to murder. But people seemingly forget that.

While I don't agree with Benoit deserving to be remembered, people need to lay off of Chris Jericho. Who are we to decide what Chris Jericho chooses to acknowledge? It's not like Chris Jericho is defending Benoit's actions or even saying he is innocent. Jericho acknowledges what Benoit did was horrible.

You are drawing a false narrative it was well known Chris Benoit beat his wife for years. People chose to turn the other cheek ... police reports and court documents state this. This went on for years prior to one weekend ... a nice little killing spree weekend.

I love how everyone cries this place is dead yet whenever people post and start conversation that others donít like they scream trolling.

Y2J can say what he wants but if he thinks he can post a pic of Benoit as an angelic spirit looking over him after his Disgusting actions people will respond .... he shouldnít be surprised by this .... but my major point is the same core group of fans that rip the likes of Cena for not jobbing are the ones that love to praise a murderer. Itís mind boggling.

No one in this thread is praising a murderer.... Unless I totally missed something. Sure, you have your wackos who believe Benoit didn't do it and others who blindly will support him due to his wrestling but no one here is running dedicated best benoit matches of all time or crying for him to be in the trivial WWE HOF.

Also, I don't think Jericho intention when he posted the fan art was to incite a negative reaction. He saw it, and reacted positively likely due to Benoit and Eddie and his good WRESTLING memories of them.

Super Moderator
    People overlook that Chris Jericho is a human being who lost a friend. I know people who were tight with Benoit, and even a decade later their hearts are still broken over it and they are still trying to rationalize the man that they knew with what he did.

Jericho dedicated his match to two friends, whom he had the time of his life with over there. He didn't dedicate his match to a monster or some idol that people have build up of Benoit, he dedicated it to his friends whom he misses and whose death still hurts so many years later.

These are people, guys. If one of your most beloved friends committed that same unspeakable act, you wouldn't remove their memory from your life, you'd try and hold on to the good times and remember the person that you remember them being because that's natural. Because if you don't you wind up blaming yourself for not seeing the signs and seeing it coming, or wonder what you could have done if you had.

Guys who knew Benoit still talk about him and the old days with a smile, even as they're welling up. It's an impossible thing to rationalize because they knew someone whom they loved with all of their hearts that wound up being someone completely different than they though.

It might not make sense to you sitting here on the internet typing about the monster that Benoit was/became/might have been for years or playing armchair detective trying to figure out why he snapped or if he was just a monster the whole time. It didn't make sense to me. Until I sat down with a man that I love as much as these guys loved Benoit and saw a grown man, one of the toughest that I know, reminisce and gush about the guy that he knew and the road stories that he remembers, while being on the verge of tears knowing the man that he was praising was a monster.

Real life, people, aren't as black and white as we'd like them to be.

Armchair detective ? Not really. 2003 Nancy Benoit files for divorce stating physical and domestic abuse also fearing for the safety of her child. This isnít armchair detective stuff these are all facts.

Guess what we also are humans just so happen to be humans typing on a computer, some of us know people that did terrible stuff and were friends with these people someone of us have the mental toughness and will to put these people out of our minds and accept the fact they were scumbags. Iíll tell you what if I knew one of my friends was tossing his wife around I wouldnít be friends with that guy but then again I donít hang out with scum bags that have the character make up to put their hands on women. It was a one off murder ...actually no it was two on two separate days but the road leading up to it pointed to a man that had a history of putting his hands on people when he shouldnít be putting his hands on people and the facts show this.

If Nancy filed that document she filed in 2003 but it was 2017 Chris Benoit would be fired on the spot. If anything this shows us how far society has come with putting up with men putting their hands on women against their will.

I don't use this language often but FUCK ANYONE who tries to tell another person how they should be processing their friends death, let alone one as tragic and terrible as Benoit's.

That is not sticking up for Benoit, the guy killed his son and wife, I have no defence for that. However Jericho knew everyone in that situation better than any of the piece of shit arm chair critics trying to crucify him. Not only does that mean he feels Benoit's death more keenly than them, he also feels the hurt and anger at what Benoit did in that final weekend more than anyone too.
    Last edited by SirSam; 01-05-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Late As Usual

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

Good for you Mikey that you're a great man who has impeccable morality and no flaws whatsoever. We all should bow down to your brilliance.

You don't know for fact what Jericho knew and what he didn't.. Maybe he ignored certain things because it wasn't any of his business, maybe he looked the other way, ignored warning signs because he was wrapped up in his own bullshit... and maybe just maybe that eats at him every day. That he or anyone might have been able to stop something terrible but didn't.

I mean really, Jericho, Eddie (since we're going back to 2003 on abuse) all benoit's friends should have cut all contact from a dude they work with every day, they were all to blame then... heck, blame Nancy's family for not stepping in either..

It happened. It was fucking tragic. But please, lets not judge people too harshly when nobody did anything and it happened... the only one to blame is Benoit.

I do not need to know Benoit just like I do not need to know hitler to know he is a bad person. Christ Benoit is a murderer .... I know for a lot of you he’s your hero because he was a mat technician What ever that is but the guy is a murderer. Learn to accept it. Scum of the earth......and I LOVE “not withstanding the domestic abuse of his wife” quote ..... hahahaha what the hell is wrong with you. The guy beat his wife for years she lived in fear for her child’s life for years because of this man..,,but by all means he’s a stand up guy.Thats disgusting you would even say that absolutely disgusting . Men especially freak athletes that put their hands on women and kids are Fn losers. I love how this has turned into an attack of my character because I think Benoit is scum for killing a child.
    Do you have zero understanding of legality and ethics or something? The concept of mentally unfit people not being blameworthy for things they do is well-established not only in law, but in ethics as well. It's really that simple. And with Benoit, it's a very complicated situation, because we know he had mental issues, and that his brain was initially thought to be severely damaged (though since then the doctor who initially studied Benoit's brain has been revealed to be a fraud, and his results overturned, and no proper examination has been done, so we are left in the dark). Still there were signs, according to people who knew him, such as Chavo.

And I don't condone domestic abuse, but it seems to have coincided with his mental degeneration, and seems to have been an isolated phase in his life - it was not something that occurred during the whole course of the marriage. Given Benoit's mental issues, his strenuous wrestling schedule, his myriad of injuries, his steroid use (some people suspect he was a victim of roid rage), the domestic abuse, while inexcusable, was not unusual. Austin also domestically abused his wife in a certain period in his life, and managed to turn it around and become a decent person.

Get off your narcissistic moral high horse and try to actually think, for once. If you insist on sanctimoniously preaching as if you are some sort of moral authority, try opening up a criminal law book first, at least.
    Last edited by Allystare; 01-05-2018 at 09:08 PM.

No Austin beat his wife, So by Mikey's reasoning, he is a scumbag for life, and everyone one of his friends should cut off all contact with him. The WWE should cut all ties, and never mention his accomplishments again. AND we are stupid ignorant idiots who support him because he was great in a fictitious world.