Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossface: The Chris Benoit Bio Story... Should we or shouldnt we?

For The Outlawz

Crossface: The Chris Benoit Bio Story... Should we or shouldnt we?

So, there's been a lot of talk lately(or should I say again) about the Benoit movie getting made. I wanna know what y'all think about it.

Personally, I will buy the shit out of it IF, and only if, they don't royally fuck it up like every wrestling movie not named The Wrestler. I think the Benoit story needs to be told, but they need to blur the line completely between his career and personal life.

Also, do y'all think that Vinney Mack is gonna let this movie get made? I see him throwing millions at lawyers to prevent this from happening!

Speak you Freaks!!

Reality Champ
    I'm not sure what you mean by blur the line between personal life and career. If this movie is made, I doubt it'll be focusing much on his career. If you're picturing some biopic where 80% of the movie is his life going around the world wrestling, that's most likely way off. I like the director they hired though.

For The Outlawz
    My thought on that wasn't very clear, I just don't see how you can make a movie, especially a marketable one, about such a polarizing wrestler and not have it focus at least in part on his career. Life and wrestling were intertwined while he was alive, so it would feel wrong to not have that in a movie about him.

Reality Champ
    Oh sure, it will deal with his career in part. It has to, especially when you think about how his career tied into his final days. I just don't picture a movie where we go on all the stops on his career. It'll use wrestling to tell some of the story, particularly when it comes to Nancy, but it won't be a wrestling-focused biopic.

More importantly who is being cast as:

Benoit
    Nancy
    Eddie
    Kevin Sullivan
    Perry
    Malenko
    Vince
    HHH

and the rest of the wrestlers.

Super Moderator
    I'm not sure you're going to see a lot of those figures at all.

You might get Eddie in flashback form, but I was of the understanding that this movie was to follow the final few days of Benoit's life.

You might get some wrestling stuff in passing, but I don't think much.

It doesn't sound like a wide release to me, more like direct to DVD or TV.

Reality Champ
    Eddie I could see being cast if they wanted to correlate the deaths of his friends with his death. Same with Sullivan with Nancy. I doubt Malenko or Saturn will be involved, or H or Vince.

How can they do a biopic pic about Benoit and not have it about his life and career, but the final third is about the final weeked?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    How can they do a biopic pic about Benoit and not have it about his life and career, but the final third is about the final weeked?
    Because that's the story. Chris Benoit, in the grand scheme of the world, isn't worth making a movie about if not for that final weekend.

I don't think that they're trying to glorify him or tell his story or make a pro wrestling movie, they are trying to tell the story of a brutal double murder suicide. The fact that he was a pro wrestler with a storied career is tangential to the story that they want to tell, at best.

For The Outlawz
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Because that's the story. Chris Benoit, in the grand scheme of the world, isn't worth making a movie about if not for that final weekend.

I don't think that they're trying to glorify him or tell his story or make a pro wrestling movie, they are trying to tell the story of a brutal double murder suicide. The fact that he was a pro wrestler with a storied career is tangential to the story that they want to tell, at best.
    I have to disagree with you here. The point of any movie is to make money. In order to do that, they will have to factor in his career. For two reasons: One, in order for this movie to succeed, they have to market it to wrestling fans. And two, it was his career, and the many hits to the brain, that (allegedly) led him to commit the murders. Without the context of professional wrestling, the story is incomplete. Like Concussion without the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLAW View Post
    I have to disagree with you here. The point of any movie is to make money. In order to do that, they will have to factor in his career. For two reasons: One, in order for this movie to succeed, they have to market it to wrestling fans. And two, it was his career, and the many hits to the brain, that (allegedly) led him to commit the murders. Without the context of professional wrestling, the story is incomplete. Like Concussion without the NFL.
    Chris Benoit had anger issues going back to his early career, guys who were with him in Japan talk about him flipping at a bar, especially when he drank (and he drank rarely later in life). The reality is Chris Benoit fits the profile of a spousal abuser in a volatile relationship. Nancy was known to have her own anger issues and their relationship was said to be volatile. As fans we were looking for someone to blame but the fact is, our spandex clad hero was a spousal abuser with serious marital problems, an aversion to alcohol, and a really bad temper. Look at the restraining order Nancy filed in 2003. The fact is this is another case of domestic violence gone too far. These happen every day to women across the country and no one tries to blame concussions or "roid rage". We should blame the police who did not investigate the domestic violence accusation in 2003 (4 years before he killed her) and the lack of support Nancy got after filing for divorce the first time.

"'The profile of a family annihilator is a middle-aged man, a good provider who would appear to neighbours to be a dedicated husband and a devoted father,' Levin said. 'He quite often tends to be quite isolated. He is often profoundly dedicated to his family, but has few friends of his own or a support system out with the family. He will have suffered some prolonged frustration and feelings of inadequacy, but then suffers some catastrophic loss" - https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/...me.lornamartin Who does that sound like to you? I do not understand the desire to make the Benoit murder/suicide atypical when, in reality, it is very typical.

Tell it as the Chris and Nancy story. Nancy leaves older man for young virile lover. Turns out that while most of the time, he is a soft spoken and dedicated husband but punctuated by this is the frustration, anger, and the monster lurking beneath. Do the domestic violence in their relationship, and make Benoit's anger like Jaws. lurking.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 09-08-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Reality Champ
    How much of Concussion actually focused on the players careers though? It wasn't like we saw the players play. We were just told "Hey, these guys played in the NFL for a decade." All you have to do is show him wrestle one match, boom, he's a wrestler, the audience gets it. You can mention in dialogue how long his career was. I'd be stunned if they mention Japan, and if they mention WCW, it's because of Nancy. They could refer to the Wrestlemania moment just to hype up the stunning downfall though.

Super Moderator
    This movie isn't going to make money or attract wrestling fans.

It's not getting a mainstream theatrical release. It'll be lucky to get a limited theatrical release. If this ever sees the light of day, it's likely to be a Lifetime Original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Chris Benoit had anger issues going back to his early career, guys who were with him in Japan talk about him flipping at a bar, especially when he drank (and he drank rarely later in life). The reality is Chris Benoit fits the profile of a spousal abuser in a volatile relationship. Nancy was known to have her own anger issues and their relationship was said to be volatile. As fans we were looking for someone to blame but the fact is, our spandex clad hero was a spousal abuser with serious marital problems, an aversion to alcohol, and a really bad temper. Look at the restraining order Nancy filed in 2003. The fact is this is another case of domestic violence gone too far. These happen every day to women across the country and no one tries to blame concussions or "roid rage". We should blame the police who did not investigate the domestic violence accusation in 2003 (4 years before he killed her) and the lack of support Nancy got after filing for divorce the first time.

"'The profile of a family annihilator is a middle-aged man, a good provider who would appear to neighbours to be a dedicated husband and a devoted father,' Levin said. 'He quite often tends to be quite isolated. He is often profoundly dedicated to his family, but has few friends of his own or a support system out with the family. He will have suffered some prolonged frustration and feelings of inadequacy, but then suffers some catastrophic loss" - https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/...me.lornamartin Who does that sound like to you? I do not understand the desire to make the Benoit murder/suicide atypical when, in reality, it is very typical.

Tell it as the Chris and Nancy story. Nancy leaves older man for young virile lover. Turns out that while most of the time, he is a soft spoken and dedicated husband but punctuated by this is the frustration, anger, and the monster lurking beneath. Do the domestic violence in their relationship, and make Benoit's anger like Jaws. lurking.
    People don't want Chris Benoit to be an evil monster. I am close with a few of his good friends and even today, almost a decade later, a lot of them don't want to believe that he actually did it.

King of Cuteville
    I really don't think this is gonna help anyone.....

if it gets a theatrical release it won't make money.

It's gonna make commoners hate pro wrestling, and pro wres is kinda in the "uncool" phase at the moment already.

WWE was just starting to relent on the Benoit stuff, and now they'll hide him again.

....I just don't see anything positive coming out of this at all.

For The Outlawz
    I think this movie could make a ton of money! I think that they have to do this in an unbiased way. Highlight the great moments of his career and literally tell the world how good of a wrestler he was, followed by an equal presentation of the slipping of the mind into the monster he became. Its a parallel of the human species. If done right, it could make a shit load of dollhairs! I don't believe its going to negatively affect wwe. After all, is it the companies fault that he did it? I think most people are logical enough to place the blame where it lies. But I do think that this is something that could appease the Benoit fans, the ones who want his career to be celebrated, and also the ones who feel his career is negated by his actions. By telling both sides of the story, and making it a world wide, theatrical release. This film WILL make money.

Super Moderator
    Were you not around in 2007? This was almost a triple murder-suicide, because it almost killed WWE as well.

Ratings tanked, and have never recovered. Stock prices tanked. Fans simply walked away from pro wrestling and many, arguably most, have never returned. It doesn't matter what role WWE played, this incident proved that, as the top pro wrestling company, they bear the brunt.

This was everywhere. As an example, I was in the summer of my first year of university working as a delivery driver. I listened to talk radio all day, because music got repetitive. My city in maritime Canada (a city that couldn't even draw a gate when WWE came to town) gave up talking about local issues and arguing about the government for the day to focus on this story. It was horrific, it was everywhere, WWE was hit hard and it was the final straw for a lot of fans. It won't do anything more than reopen the wound, subject pro wrestling to the same scrutiny again and do a lot to undo the decade worth of work that's gone in to rebuilding good will to pro wrestling.

This won't, and shouldn't, celebrate the career of Chris Benoit. It shouldn't celebrate anything.

Who is this for? Fans for whom this still cuts deep won't want to see this. Fans who walked away over it won't want to see it. Fans that have come on board in the last decade likely won't have more than a cursory interest. The people who will want to see this are the ones who are still obsessed with the murders and the ones who can't move past the idea that Benoit was a monster and want to see him vindicated (the "HE SHOULD GO IN THE HALL OF FAME!!!1!!111!111" types).

Those people shouldn't be appeased. They should be ignored, marginalized and openly mocked until that idea dies. This movie shouldn't be an "unbiased" look at the life and times of Chris Benoit, because there is nothing unbiased about it. Point blank, he was a guy who was outstanding at what he did for a living, who murdered his wife and son before committing suicide. He's nothing more, nothing less. Those last three days truly do negate everything else good that he's ever done.

Should he be scrubbed from history? No, I don't think that he should at all. But he should be marginalized, turned into a footnote. I feel for guys like Angle and Jericho who can never truly get that "best of" compilation, but sometimes life just isn't fair.

I have had this conversation with people who knew the man. People who, to this day almost a decade later, believe deep in their hearts that he "couldn't" have done it or that someone else must have done it or that there is more to the story than we know. Those guys are still hurting over what happened, and their faith and love for the man makes them maybe a little delusional, but they're still less sad than the people that this movie would be for.

If they actually got a good director and actors I could see it being a poignant drama and story that movie enthusiasts would enjoy. But as soon as they hired the Punisher: War Zone director all that went out the window.

For The Outlawz
    @Farrell: love the personal attachment that you have to this, but looking at the human race as a whole, I think youre missing the mark. We humans love a good horror story. Especially one that involves a "hero" turning to the "dark side." This movie will make money hand over fist merely based on mild curiosity. I, for one, was a die hard Benoit fan. He was my favorite wrestler hands down next to Taker. Both before 2004 and after. I was around in 2007. I think people exaggerate the damage done to WWE, and wrestling as a whole. So what if they lost fans. They had a fresh batch waiting in the wings within months. No wrestler is bigger than the WWE. It's been proven thousands of times. WWE covered their collective asses. And they were and still are fine. Plus, there's the undeniable fact that there is no such thing as bad publicity. This movie will put eyes on wrestling again. No matter what those eyes have to say, its still a won for the business.

It's not going to make money. Even if it was done with A-list talent it would be a limited release like Hell or High Water (which is an early Oscar contender). I'd be surprised if this even gets a theatrical release.

Plus, there's the undeniable fact that there is no such thing as bad publicity. This movie will put eyes on wrestling again. No matter what those eyes have to say, its still a won for the business.
    Nope.

You realize today, with less fans, the WWE makes more money than it ever did in the attitude era because it has attempted to strip everything offensive from the product. By scaling back the controversy, they have been able to attract bigger sponsors willing to spend more money, higher ad buys which makes their TV more valuable and even sponsors on the network. bad publicity would be very bad because it would hurt the WWE's ability to make money, even if the WWE gained viewers. Viewers arent the driver of success, they arent the bottom line. Bad publicity would be VERY bad because it would scare the sponsors like the car companies and the higher end spenders that Vince is now starting to attract. The WWE is a publicly traded company which means it is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Perception is almost as important as the bottom line. So no it would be bad. VERY bad. And I think people underestimate the damage Benoit did to the WWE. The ratings prove it, the buyrates prove it but I think the WWE switch to PG was a great business move which has allowed the WWE to rehabilitate it's image to a great amount (especially if the offer rumors are true) even if it lead to less satisfying storylines to this fan in particular.

I'm confused; why are people thinking this won't get a wide release? The producers have gotten a known director who has an Oscar nomination (albeit for short film) and a whole lot film and TV credits under her belt and the story of her coming on to direct was big enough that it was picked up by every major film publication. They don't do that unless the plan is to make this into something. This also isn't just going to be about the last three days of his life. The film is based off a book, Ring of Hell: The Story of Chris Benoit & the Fall of the Pro Wrestling Industry and from what I understand its focus is on Benoit's journey through the wrestling business and how the toll of it eventually led to what happened. I know films do break away from books often, but seeing as the executive producer of this film is the guy who wrote the book I seriously doubt that will happen. Be prepared folks; this will be a movie that gets play and it isn't going to just focus on those three days. This will be a bumpy ride.

There is no way it gets a wide release. It's got direct-to-DVD written all over it. Lexi Alexander is a not a "known director." Known directors would be people the general public have heard of. She's a below-average director who got lucky with her full feature debut (and it still wasn't a wide release). Her only wide release was a big bomb that relegated her to directing TV.

Even with a good director the chances of a wide release are very slim. There's not much of a market for a movie about a guy who snaps and kills his family. Maybe if they fictionalize the story and make it a horror movie there could be.

And movie/entertainment news sites report on b-movies and direct-to-DVD movies all of the time. They are movie sites; it's what they do. Not like they are writing full-length feature stories. They are three paragraph briefs.

A not known director is Pitof or Mark Steven Johnson. I'm not saying Lexi Alexander is Steven Spielberg but you can at least name a movie she's done off the top of your head and possibly two if you have street cred and saw Green Street Hooligans.

In any event let's say I agree with you on that point; this is still getting a wide release because the film isn't going to be about a guy who snaps and kills his family, it's going to be about a guy driven mad by the wrestling industry that culminates in one tragic weekend. That's what the damn book was about. If this was just someone making a movie off the tragedy without any source material then I could totally see it being a direct to video thing made in the style of Gus Van Sant's Kurt Cobain film that took place over the final days of this life. But this book covered Benoit's career, the effects it had on his personal life and how it affected what happened. The film will cover all of that, especially since the author of the book is involved as a producer. That subject matter, along with the fact that the guys backing the film were also involved with the backing of Hardcore Henry (which did get a wide release) will get this into theaters. I'm not saying anyone will go to see it, I'm not saying it'll win Oscars and I'm not saying it'll be good. But this will not be a Steven Segal style direct to video/on demand thing. It'll be in theaters for at least a little while and depending on who they cast it could get big recognition.

One of you will be proven right, one of you will be proven wrong.

I'm not gonna watch it. I'm someone who can still watch Benoit matches and enjoy them.. (I wish they were marked on the network so i skip them easily if i wanted to) but i have no intrest in watching a movie about a guy who lost it and killed his family.. Someone who I grew up watching.. Especially after listening to Nancy's sister on Jericho's podcast... Just thinking about Benoit in that context makes me sick

Hopefully no one sees anything wrong with this opinion but I would, and probably will, watch it, especially if it's not just about those final three days. Frankly I think there's two fascinating ways to tell this story. One you tell it all; his breakthrough into wrestling, meeting Nancy, the struggles and how it all led to that awful weekend. It would be tough to watch but some of the best films are tough to watch and while I don't think any of us will ever be able to understand how this happened, seeing it interpreted through the eyes of someone who knows what they're talking about (especially if it's done well) could at least shed some light. Secondly (and this is the way I'd do it) you start with the tragedy and then focus on the fallout afterwards from his friends, co-workers, family members and their struggle to come to grips with everything. Coach said it best earlier; even today there are still several wrestlers, fans, whoever that cannot comprehend how Chris Benoit was this man they knew who suddenly became something they didn't know at all. I think that's a great story to tell and also one that takes the focus off how wrestling may or may not have factored into what happened and how much it affected wrestling and all the people in it. I think that's a great story to tell.

For The Outlawz
    I'm with cult. I'll watch the shit out of it. By t I hope they go for option A and tell the whole story. Its incomplete if they don't provide a detailed back story of the wrestler who turned in to the monster. There's simply no way that a movie that will draw this much attention doesn't get theatre exposure. Unless WWE throws a fit which I can't see happening here.

The production company had one film go to a wide release (Hardcore Henry) and it bombed badly. The writers of this Benoit film have done nothing of substance and the director is terrible. Nothing about any of this says theatrical release.

I guess we'll see who the actor who plays Benoit is. That will also be telling as to whether it goes to theaters. Director has a history with Dash Mihok (who could maybe look like Benoit), but he's a little too big to be Benoit.

And I will watch it just because I like watching movies. I don't have high hopes though considering how it's shaping up.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    The production company had one film go to a wide release (Hardcore Henry) and it bombed badly. The writers of this Benoit film have done nothing of substance and the director is terrible. Nothing about any of this says theatrical release.

I guess we'll see who the actor who plays Benoit is. That will also be telling as to whether it goes to theaters. Director has a history with Dash Mihok (who could maybe look like Benoit), but he's a little too big to be Benoit.

And I will watch it just because I like watching movies. I don't have high hopes though considering how it's shaping up.

This I will agree with. Alexander is better than your claiming (at least in my opinion) but of the two writer's only one has major experience and he doesn't seem to be quite good (I wouldn't surprise if Alexander or the author himself end up doing a draft). The key will be who they get to play the part. I know Liev Schreiber was courted for it years ago and he's a name guy who would both bring attention to the project and be good in the role. Beyond him I'd have to think more on it, but my guess would be a younger guy known for darker roles. Toby Kebbell would actually be a great choice (though he doesn't really look like Benoit).

I'm with cult. I'll watch the shit out of it. By t I hope they go for option A and tell the whole story. Its incomplete if they don't provide a detailed back story of the wrestler who turned in to the monster. There's simply no way that a movie that will draw this much attention doesn't get theatre exposure. Unless WWE throws a fit which I can't see happening here.

Seriously?! Vince will do everything in his power to block this film and I can't say I blame him (though I don't know how he'd be able to stop it). Sara was right when she said this would be really bad for WWE. This wouldn't just be a film about Chris Benoit and how he went nuts; it would be about how the wrestling industry as a whole led him to that tragic day. I haven't read the book as of yet (though I most certainly will be), but every singe description/synopsis I've read of it makes it pretty clear that it a) covers almost everything about Benoit's career and b) paints the wrestling industry (from Vince to WCW in particular) as a not so great place. If it gets made with a big name star and gets a wide release it will definitely cast a negative spotlight on WWE. How big of a spotlight will be determined how good the film is, but it'll definitely be something WWE doesn't want and I can't imagine Vince won't at least make an attempt to put a halt to this. It could be truly damaging; not enough to get people like us to stop watching wrestling but it will hurt.

For The Outlawz
    Lol typo! That was supposed to say can lol.... crazy side note though. I looked on my Facebook today and Chris Benoit has been the number one trend all day long
    Last edited by TheLAW; 09-10-2016 at 10:13 PM.

I just don't see what they wanna accomplish with making it.

Plus it'll be depressing as f***. I probably won't see it.

OMG you can always tell who the Benoit fan boys are even though they desperately try to hide it. The guy doesn't deserve shit. You want to watch a movie on his wrestlings career...heres an idea watch his fucking matches they are all over the internet.

Like someone said this has lifetime movie written all over it. Fuck Chris Benoit. The guy did more damage to professional wrestling than any of the usual suspects the crazies like to blame put together.

I just finished reading Ring of Hell: The Story of Chris Benoit & the Fall of the Pro Wrestling Industry that this film is based on. Here's my two main takeaways.

1). It's a highly compelling that's worth reading, if only to get a glimpse at how Benoit's career and wrestling as a whole is viewed by an outsider.

2). Regardless of whether or not it's a theatrical release or a direct to DVD, this film being made is highly problematic. Forget about Benoit, who the book rips to shreds; it pretty much buries the entire wrestling industry too. WWE, WCW, ECW, Mexico, Japan (especially Japan), Vince, Heyman, Arn Anderson, H, Steph, Dave Lagana, the Harts; this guy pulls absolutely no punches and presents wrestling as an out of control circus that's partially controlled by the Mafia (especially in Japan) and fueled by drugs. Basically the Wolf of Wall Street on HGH. If this gets made into a film of any caliber and follows the book in any sort of way it'll cause a stir. Obviously not as much if it ends up on DVD or TV but the way it portrays wrestling will most certainly get attention.

Ill have to check it out.

The mafia stuff in Japan is an open secret.. i don't think that part of it would shock many if it was in the film. I think this has a morbid curiousity to it, but true crime movies are hard sells to the masses

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    The mafia stuff in Japan is an open secret.. i don't think that part of it would shock many if it was in the film. I think this has a morbid curiousity to it, but true crime movies are hard sells to the masses
    Maybe it's an open secret to the most hardcore wrestling fan but it's not something I knew before reading. Maybe that says something about my fandom!

I honestly don't know what to think about how it do anymore. Most of us here would be enraged by it, either because it's so nasty to the business (and it is; I think the only wrestling related people who came out of this looking good were some writers and Scott Norton of all people) or because it's going to pull back the curtain to stuff a lot of wrestling fans don't know about or don't want to see. For the general public it all depends on how it's done. There's definitely a way to make it a captivating fall from grace cautionary tale that the Wolf of Wall Street should've been. Whether or not there's enough talent to do it or not is the question. I just know that if it is released it's not going to be pretty, and I imagine Vince and many more promoters out there would try to block it. Hell Vince may be able to; the filmmakers probably can't use WWE in here without Vince's permission and that could be a big thing in preventing the film from being made or going as in depth as it can.

That's why at best, its going to be made low budget to avoid WWE legal in someway or not even mention WWE at all and just focus on the last few days of his life.. The wrestler was different being a fictional story but getting Vince's permission to run WWE down... I don't see that happening

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    That's why at best, its going to be made low budget to avoid WWE legal in someway or not even mention WWE at all and just focus on the last few days of his life.. The wrestler was different being a fictional story but getting Vince's permission to run WWE down... I don't see that happening
    To assume this is going to be the direction would be a mistake. Perhaps WWE can get the whole thing blocked but if they can't then the filmmakers can easily make a movie detailing his life without showing anything he did in WWE. That and WCW (which WWE obviously has rights over) are only at best half the subject of the book; the rest of it focuses on his exploits in Canada, Japan and Mexico, which last I checked WWE has next to no rights over. The filmmakers can then easily showcase all the wrestling action during the bulk of the first half and then when it comes time to the WCW/WWE days can focus on Benoit and Nancy, with Benoit's in ring stuff only being brought up in the background. Keep in mind too that even though WWE is off limits, the death of wrestler's isn't and Benoit's life falling apart after a death of one of his friends can be used. There's definitely ways around showing his WWE career and because the author of the book is involved with this production I guarantee they'll explore as much as they can.

Make no mistake; if this gets made this will not be a film made in the same style as Gus Van Sant's Last Days; this will not focus on the final days or even the final weekend of Benoit's life. This is going to tackle everything it possibly can and it's not going to be pretty, even if it is direct to video. The best bet for everyone associated with wrestling is that this gets nipped in the bud right now.

#BoycottRAW
    Or just get Eddie Furlong a role in it so no one dare goes to see it.

Get me the director's gig and I'm on it!

#BoycottRAW
    No. F you.