Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roman Reigns

Roman Reigns

Roman Reigns have been pushed as the WWE's top star for the last 2 years. House shows are down 30%. Roman Reigns is struggling with a brutal interaction with the crowd. Now Roman has been suspended for a Wellness Violation.

Is this the heel turn for Roman Reigns

Is this going to break Vince's Push of Roman Reigns?

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    The damage the WWE has done to itself trying to push Roman is now clear. I was never down on Roman, but I was annoyed about how they damaged other stars in favor of Reigns. Now it's very clear that was a huge mistake. What made the Attitude Era work is that everyone was given a chance to rise. Now it seems like if someone gets over when it's not part of the plan, the WWE pushes them back down. We'll see if Ambrose can help, I don't think so, but if the WWE can start building more characters, they can recover.

Goldberg Rules!
    Reigns got popped for a fat burner. Not nearly as big a deal as it sounds now.

What's the source on that?

Goldberg Rules!
    My left foot.

I miss old kooky Vince- that made wildly innappropriate/irrational gimmicks. Reigns should come back as a dirty drugged out hippy. Wearing birkingstocks to the ring and moon shades with a bandana in his greasy hair. And sway as he comes down to the ring.

Kleck, I just marked out for that idea.

You guys want Roman Reigns to return as Van Hammer?

Gonna laugh if Roman just comes back and scoops the title right away.

Goldberg Rules!
    Me too.

I am sort of perplexed that they didn't cancel the 3 way. The Shield 3 way is one of the few legitimate dream matches they have for this generation. Not only are they wasting it on some C pay per view (instead of a big one or even a Mania), but they are doing it on one month's build, and one of the guys wasn't even there that whole month. They should have pulled Roman out, imo.

I sorta of agree in the sense that if you look ahead, what is the main event for Summerslam? Brock is not gonna main event against the winner most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post
    I am sort of perplexed that they didn't cancel the 3 way. The Shield 3 way is one of the few legitimate dream matches they have for this generation. Not only are they wasting it on some C pay per view (instead of a big one or even a Mania), but they are doing it on one month's build, and one of the guys wasn't even there that whole month. They should have pulled Roman out, imo.
    Yeah. I take it as proof that this isnt the final chapter in their plans for the SHIELD in the immediate future. This PPV must further the story between them, setting up another clash. And if rumors are to be believed that Orton is set to square off against Lesnar at Summerslam, then we very well might get a dirty finish at Battleground, and a SHIELD triple threat rematch at Summerslam.

Squared
    Quick question: will this Shield stuff that they've brought back finally be the thing that makes Roman the attraction the company clearly want him to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Quick question: will this Shield stuff that they've brought back finally be the thing that makes Roman the attraction the company clearly want him to be?
    Yes and no. It will get him cheered for a while. The initial pop of seeing the SHIELD together will carry for a while. The problem becomes if the SHIELD is just booked as a face faction instead of being what made the SHIELD special, which they highlighted on Raw. Also, my biggest fear is Vince will turn Ambrose heel on the group. In their original run, it felt like at one time all three of them took turns being the "leader" of the group, which all led to Seth turning on everyone as he was the "leader" of their short face run. Now I think Vince will say, "you know what will get Roman cheered, if that dirty bastard Ambrose turns on him and then does dastardly things. Yeah, that'll get Roman cheered." I'm very much in a wait and see mode.

Super Moderator
    How long does the reunion last? Is this something to get us through TLC? Survivor Series? Is it something more long term where they stay "The Shield" and are affiliated, but do their own things? Is this reunion enough to get Roman cheered when he wins the Rumble, or do they give that honour to Cena so he can tie Austin's record heading into setting the title record at Mania?

The last word was that it was just till the end of the year, though I could see it lasting if it gets business back up. It won't help Roman though. My understanding was the group was cheered Monday night, but when they had individual segments Reigns as once again booed, so this is merely just a reprieve for him. Once they break up again and WWE goes into full gear, he'll be in the same spot as always, the WWE will continue to not get it and fans will continue to boo or delude themselves into thinking WWE is either going to turn him heel (they aren't) or that Reigns is no longer the one Vince wants as the #1 guy (he is).

Super Moderator
    As far as I remember they didn't have individual segments.

Roman even got a decent pop when he interrupted Miz. I think it'll get Roman more over, but it's not gonna be a magic bullet I think WWE believes that it will.

Fuck (the character) of Roman Reigns. He's one of the most stale characters on the roster. Literally nothing about him has changed since he debuted. I see no reason to see him getting cheered if they don't change that. He's unnatural, off putting, uncharasmatic and most importantly, entitled. People see through him. Especially the vocal fans. He's a natural heel. Him not having a lead announced call him out on shit hurts him the most. Cole is a strong announcer when allowed. Having him hate Roman for turning on the Shield and have Corey pumping him up would get him over. Unfortunately, they'll never do it and instead we get corporate shill Cole. The man who can't sell you anything.

That's the main issue. Everyone in regards of Reigns is in the wrong spot. From the announces, to other wrestlers pumping him up, to the fans. That's the main reason why I will never root for him. the whole story makes no sense. They've robbed us of the babyface's rise. When you do that, you lose a large segment of the audience. He went form having a poor performance at Summerslam to winning the Royal Rumble. Then going over the #1 face and being told by EVERYONE that he's already one of the best of all time.

Give me a break.

I say sod it. Take the face rocket off the back of Reigns and reallly tie the heel rocket on to him. To be honest, I'd have done it on Monday and just had him beat the tar out of Ambrose and Rollins the moment they united. But I cann wait until Survivor Series. Maybe run something where Roman does a similar thing to before where he got those four eliminations and then beat Rollins and Ambrose down claiming he never needed them. I don't see the point in keeping this reunion long term, and even with the hype they built for it the rating for Raw hardly budged last week.

Run Shield Triple Threat II at Mania with the emotion of 4/5 months of build specifically toward it instead of hurling it together short-term when the emotion had gone. And give me Braun vs Brock II as the title bout.

Make him as up his own arse as possible. Play the fact that he's a handsome jock twat up to eleven. Fuck it, go for that rich boy Leakee thing he had going on. Reigns in a suit would be bloody killer. Get him in trunks for wrestling, too.
    Last edited by Oliver; 10-13-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Sadly, they are dead set on the third coronation of Roman. Dead set on building one guy at the expense of everyone else.

There is a route that could happen here. Dean fucked up. Like, he really fucked up. It was gonna be 3 on 3 and now it is 3 on 4. If they play into that over the next few weeks, you could end the PPV with Roman destroying Dean. Rollins has to make a choice on who to stand with, and chooses Roman because he was the one who didn't try to end his career every week. You get Dean off TV for a month, make Roman Roliin's new tag partner (like before) and have them run over teams. Then,Dean comes back, and he murders them making them lose the titles.

Dean and Roman would be at the Rumble. THEN you could do Roman/Lesnar if you are dead set. You have Dean/Rollins at Mania(Like it should have been in the first year) Roman's heel, facing "face" Lesnar and goes over as a natural heel. He has a ton of challengers heading out of Mania. It keeps him away from the IC title, helps the tag division on making it the main event of PPVs and makes Dean into a top face and some time away to recharge his character.

Meh. Will never happen.

The Reigns heel turn is even more of a myth than the Cena turn is at this point. First it was going to happen in the match against Brock at Mania 31. Then it was going to be against Triple H at Wrestlemania 32. Then the whole "I'M THE GUY!" was supposed to be the heel turn. And finally, my personal favorite, the whole Taker feud was supposed to be Reigns turning heel...until the week after Mania where he acted like the same face he always us before getting wrecked the guy WWE should've actually gone with (at least for the short term). It's not happening guys; Vince has made up his mind, has dug himself in and will continue to push Reigns until Reigns has had enough, the business craters and Vince has no choice or the actual next big star comes along. Of course that guy (Kenny Omega) was available until Vince decided to send the pettiest cease and desist in history to his best friends and then fired another close friend of there's for taking a picture, so we'll be waiting for awhile on that one.

The Brain
    I can't imagine this will get him over as a singles guy when all else has failed. If being associated with the Shield was the key, Roman would be over now, as they were lightning in a bottle the first time around. The Shield will get cheered, and people will continue to dislike Roman when he goes back to being a singles guy. It won't hurt, but I don't think it'll make much difference in the long run.

Squared
    So if that's right and nothing really comes of it, does Reigns turn or do they stick with him a la Cena?

I think they're sticking with him. I think it will be against everything that the fans want and even their reactions, but I don't see them changing path now.

Cult's right, the ideal moment to really cement it would have been at and after Mania. They flipping nailed teasing it in the build up to Mania, and actually at Mania they nailed it by having him retire the Taker without running any kind of respect ending or any of that BS. And the Raw after was so spot on, that how could they not go fully in with it? And then they gave it seven days, tried to walk the whole thing back, and had Braun destroy him.

They should have done something super stupid but interesting and fun with it - have Roman do that sit down interview 8 days after Mania but instead of being all 'oh, I respect the Undertaker, he's such a legend, it was a honour' just be 'yeah, fuck him, old man, needed putting down, this is my yard now'. Then have Braun destroy him because as a child he fucking loved Undertaker or something. That double turn was right there and begging to be taken, but WWE decided to be completely tone deaf to it.

So yeah, I don't see any way they turn Reigns now, much as it's clearly what the character needs.

Unless, when the reunited Shield eventually breaks up, it is Reigns that does the chair shot this time.

Squared
    If the plan was that they picked Roman at the age of 29 because they get 10 years or so out of him at top babyface, and they have to abandon him after four, I guess the real question would then become not so much what they'd do with the Roman Reigns character, but where do they go from there with regard to the next franchise player? I mean you've got Cena to buy you some time but it's not like there's anyone else at the right kind of age that has really stood up and said I'm the guy, at least not that I have seen yet.

Well, there's a 31 year old former power lifter and American footballer on the Smackdown brand who has the size and charisma to lead the company in to a Booty-ful era when they finally commit to giving him a singles push.

Powder - as I said above, I'd definitely have Reigns give the chair shot this time. If they actually break the Shield up and don't just splinter them off as having been a reunion of convenience.

If nothing comes of this, then this is Vince's last straw. (I hate mentioning him but...) Meltzer has reported WWE would be losing tons of money if not for TV. Roman's gate numbers are in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    If the plan was that they picked Roman at the age of 29 because they get 10 years or so out of him at top babyface, and they have to abandon him after four, I guess the real question would then become not so much what they'd do with the Roman Reigns character, but where do they go from there with regard to the next franchise player? I mean you've got Cena to buy you some time but it's not like there's anyone else at the right kind of age that has really stood up and said I'm the guy, at least not that I have seen yet.
    That's because everyone who could've been that guy was snuffed out by WWE in order to give the spotlight to Roman. There is no doubt in my mind that Dean Ambrose should've gotten the push Roman got after the Shield broke up; the Rollins feud made him the biggest babyface on the roster and his performances were off the charts. Instead, WWE never had him beat Rollins, had him lose to the ultimate loser in Bray Wyatt and even worse had him do so in the worst ways possible; a hologram and an exploding television cost him matches for crying out loud! After that his momentum was cooked. Rollins was the same; he had the great heel run, he had the terrible injury, came back with all the babyface momentum in the world and instead of doing a double turn WWE kept him as the heel and Reigns as the face. Rollins has never been the same. Those two guys had a shot and WWE threw it away, while the rest of the roster (a roster that features several superstars more talented and dynamic than Reigns) was either never given a shot at that level (Zayn), was too old (Styles), too fragile (Balor) or if they did get a shot were immediately treated like a third fiddle (Owens). Of course we can't find anyone else; they were all made inferior.

The true top star out there that could easily replace Roman is Kenny Omega. Not only is he one of the best in ring workers in the world (by my money he's top three), not only does he have charisma, mic skills and a dynamic presence to go along with the in ring work but he's a confirmed draw; New Japan's numbers have gone up this year thanks to him, Okada and Naito, the American expansion has been a success to this point primarily because of Omega and Ring of Honor just had four of its highest grossing shows in history built on the back of, guess who, Kenny Omega. That's the guy. Naturally, WWE just nuked any chance of Kenny going there in the next year or so because they decided to pick a fight with his best friends over a hand signal and a parody of something from 20 years ago. With him out of the picture, there's no one. I could make a case for both Matt Riddle and Andrade "Cien" Almas, but Almas is nowhere near good enough a babyface to be "the guy" (he's significantly better in the top heel role) and WWE won't sign Riddle because he loves weed (hence New Japan scooped him up). So they're basically stuck with trying to hopelessly push Roman, rehabilitate a guy they've neutered via their own stupidity, or hoping someone else comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    If nothing comes of this, then this is Vince's last straw. (I hate mentioning him but...) Meltzer has reported WWE would be losing tons of money if not for TV. Roman's gate numbers are in the trash.
    LOL. I love you LWO, but this is about the 9,000th time you thought it was the last straw with Roman. Him being box office poison and only a "decent" merch mover won't change anything because that's what he's been ever since he got the role. The fact is that unless fans stop watching in even greater numbers than now or Network subscriptions suddenly tank (and that's not going to happen unless a mass exodus of wrestlers from WWE happens, and even then a good chunk of fans will side with WWE cause they're so blindly loyal) WWE has no reason to change as they still pull in enough money to not worry (and will still make a decent amount from the next TV deal). You want there to be a definitive "final straw" for Roman's push? Then stop giving WWE your money and stop watching. No amount of boos, bitching on the internet or hope will change the WWE at this rate. Only the loss of money.
    Last edited by Cult Icon; 10-16-2017 at 03:25 PM.

The Brain
    Oh yeah, I definitely think they'll stick with Roman, come hell or high water, unless they actually start to get desperate. But they're set up pretty well to make a profit regardless, so it'll be what it'll be.

Interesting idea about Kenny Omega. I'm not his biggest fan ever but if WWE brought him in and treated him like a big deal from the start I could maybe see it. The chances of that were zero even before the Bullet Club fighting started though, so... yeah.

Squared
    I don't disagree with your post at all Cult. My point is kind of in agreement with yours, in a way, which is to say that having gone so far down this road now and with no obvious other contender for the crown left, do they almost stick with him until one emerges? Do you stick where you are because you've boxed yourself in and it's easier to wait for another direction to go?

Oli, the topic of a push on his own for Big E came up in the New Day thread. I'd initially say he's a ways off being thought of as a replacement for Roman, but I'd also have said he was closer to the top of the card that Jinder Mahal was in May, so why not, eh.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    That's because everyone who could've been that guy was snuffed out by WWE in order to give the spotlight to Roman. There is no doubt in my mind that Dean Ambrose should've gotten the push Roman got after the Shield broke up; the Rollins feud made him the biggest babyface on the roster and his performances were off the charts. Instead, WWE never had him beat Rollins, had him lose to the ultimate loser in Bray Wyatt and even worse had him do so in the worst ways possible; a hologram and an exploding television cost him matches for crying out loud! After that his momentum was cooked. Rollins was the same; he had the great heel run, he had the terrible injury, came back with all the babyface momentum in the world and instead of doing a double turn WWE kept him as the heel and Reigns as the face. Rollins has never been the same. Those two guys had a shot and WWE threw it away, while the rest of the roster (a roster that features several superstars more talented and dynamic than Reigns) was either never given a shot at that level (Zayn), was too old (Styles), too fragile (Balor) or if they did get a shot were immediately treated like a third fiddle (Owens). Of course we can't find anyone else; they were all made inferior.
    I dunno man. Outside of a little bit when he was in the Shield, I never got it with Ambrose. All the talent in the world, but bis jeans and tank top look don't work and he's not necessarily the most media friendly guy to be your top star.

WWE has something with Elias. I'm not sure that even they quite realize yet, but there's something there. A combination look, charisma, comfort performing and size. Maybe not "the guy", but damn at 29 years old if he's not I'll be he can be close.

Squared
    I know their going to push on with the plans regardless, but when they've so obviously telegraphed what they were going to do, does Roman Reigns getting sick now stall the momentum of The Shield?

The Brain
    Do we know how long he's supposed to be out? I assumed he'd be back within a couple weeks and then the Shield will continue reuniting like nothing ever happened, and people will be into it (more or less) because it's the Shield.

Squared
    Yeah, that'd be my guess. Based on the two rumours out there for what they've got they should be back in 2 weeks if they recover in a normal kind of time. I was wondering more about timing than anything else, whether or not the false start would affect it. I mean, it'd be kind of sucky if all this bit just got ignored and they ran the same angle just two weeks down the line, wouldn't it.

The Brain
    Well yeah, but the whole Shield reunion angle was kind of thrown together in the first place, so I don't see them changing now.

Squared
    No, me neither. But there'd be more justice in the world if, in trying that, it didn't work quite so well. I think I'd feel better about the audience if they were less happy to chow down on the shit just because it's a reunion of an iconic group, y'know?

The Brain
    I'm right there with you, the appeal is kind of lost on me as this reunion doesn't seem to have the same energy or intrigue as the original group, but I also recognize that I'm a snob at this point when it comes to wrestling and most fans are just happy to see a favorite group running together again.

Squared
    Yeah. I mean, there is some stuff in there that I don't dislike about it. I thought they milked the stuff with Seth and Ambrose at the beginning but at least they did give some thought to the psychological side of reuniting a group when they've basically been at war since they split, and the betrayal was so total. And the upsides for Roman are obvious given that they don't seem to be pivoting on him and this is one way to help him out that's pretty much a slam dunk.

But you're right, a lot of this feels reheated and by the numbers and you kind of wish that they weren't on such a straight line with it all, and were trying to build up a little bit of that intrigue that is missing.