Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roman Reigns

Squared
    You've got two choices with Reigns. Get him out of there early with a cheap elimination, or do that. If they actually want him to look like a babyface you keep him well away from it. But if they go with the 'any reaction is a good one' theory, then they'd be insane not to go with your idea.

@lopprimetime

They look like they're doing Joe/Roman at Rumble, I think. He probably isn't winning the Rumble, but he probably most certainly is going to face Brock in coronation attempt #55456465. So meh.

How does Roman lose the IC title?

Maybe he loses it to Joe at Rumble? Or perhaps he carries it to Mania to make it champion vs. champion?

I'd almost rather they did Joe vs Reigns as it's own mini-pre-Rumble feud. I mean, Raw has got to go from November 19th to January 28th without a pay per view to pay anything off. Why not have Roman drop the title to Joe on the New Year Raw or something?

I had a thought last night, too - what if they did Reigns vs Lesnar at the Rumble? We've heard they're dropping the Finn plan, and while they obviously want to make it a big coronation at Mania for Reigns, why not pull it forward to the Rumble and not have the coronation? You can then keep the winner of the Rumble open (it doesn't have to be a Smackdown guy or Reigns) and keep people a bit more engaged with that. I don't know, just a thought I had and I'm not sure whether it would work out well or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post
    Maybe he loses it to Joe at Rumble? Or perhaps he carries it to Mania to make it champion vs. champion?
    I believe that the WWE is finally looking to its past. They are going to recreate WM6 with IC Champ Vs Universal Champ winner take all. Then when Reigns wins the Uni Title he will then surrender the IC title on RAW the next night and a tourney can then be held to crown a new IC Champ. Just like Hogan vs Warrior.

It's not the best case scenario, but IMHO, that is what I see happening. It keeps Reigns (gasp) strong without losing the IC title.

The Brain
    Whenever someone asks something like this, I just think of Cena losing the US title to Orlando freakin' Jordan weeks before becoming the face of the company. Anything can happen!

There's surely all manner of ways to get the title off of Reigns before Mania, though. Lesnar interference being the most obvious one.

I don't think you could have Lesnar interfere in a match, that kind of makes it appear that Lesnar fears Reigns. Usually (but not always) in a title change style run ins are sneak attacks where the heel costs the face champ the title/match to someone else. That cheapens Lesnar after all the build that the WWE has done for him over the past year.

I still think that the WWE is rehashing WM6 in IC Champ vs WWE Champ, title for title.

I mean, for what it's worth I'd be getting that title dropped off of Reigns in essentially a 4 on 1 handicap match against Miz, with loads of Bo, Curtis, and Elias interference, if I accept that they're not going to run a Shield triple threat over the IC title at Mania. And I'd do that the moment Miz has finished filming Marine 6 and can come back full time.

Whilst I can see the point you're making about the IC vs Uni match, and think it would be a good hook, I'd rather see the IC continue to get the shine it's had over the last 18 months than be relegated to a relative afterthought in a WrestleMania main event about Reigns, Lesnar, and the Universal Title.

I agree that the IC Title and the Miz especially should get a marquee match at Mania. He has most definitely earned it. Now the only question is who does the Miz face at Mania?

The potential Mania card for RAW looks like this:
    Reigns vs Lesnar
    Ambrose vs Rollins
    Strowman vs Joe???

So what other big name is left for Miz to face? Balor? But I would rather see Miz vs Woken Matt Hardy. But the reality of the situation will be that the Miz will probably have to job to Jason Jordan (and he will b/c he is such a company man). Unless Jericho comes back and the Miz beats him cleanly to see who is the "Best" IC champ of all time.

Or the highly unlikely Dream Mania match that has been teased for years in the Miz vs Daniel Bryan.

Outside of a long shot of the Bryan match, The Miz deserves better than what he has been getting.

Honestly, I'm not sure of the Raw side below Reigns vs Lesnar and HHH vs Angle/Strowman.

I'd go for Miz vs Balor, which I could see working out for both in the long-term, but really it's a struggle for me to pull anything out of recent shows. I think come January we'll see a bit more of where they're going to go.

Squared
    I have a question. If Roman is, as many people have said, the next Cena, is he going to be the same kind of long term player that Cena has been? Is Roman still going to be 'the guy' and main eventing shows when he is forty, or does he get caught and overtaken before then?

@lopprimetime

I think so, its a question that's hard to answer simply because everyone in WWE sees him as the guy so no one is going to get nearly the same push. As long as Reigns wants it and is injury free... He's a good looking dude but i don't think he's going to leave for movies because he doesn't have that type of charisma.

Remember, Rock left for movies at his height, took him years to become a movie star. Austin was forced to retire and was older. Cena's body has been breaking down and just found some movie roles...I don't think Reigns is on the same path and needs WWE.

He'll be 40 in 8 years but i don't see anyone on the roster or in NXT that will over take him..

This may be unpopular here. But I'm one of the very few guys that just don't get Samoa Joe. Sure, he's good in the ring and agile for his size. But he has got no charisma and is average ion the mic. This guy basically looks like some kind of Junior High bully.

If they are going to let Roman drop the belt to someone, please let it be Matt Hardy, its a title that has eluded him.
    Last edited by PennyWise; 12-08-2017 at 11:37 PM.

I don't think you have to worry about Samoa Joe winning the IC title off Reigns unless its in a multiman match. I'm a Joe fan but Reigns is not losing clean to anyone in a singles match until after he beats Brock.

Squared
    I don't think Joe would have the following he did if he had no charisma (no one would give a shit, stands to reason) but I agree with you on his mic skills. Most of the time I don't think he's a great interview (though there are exceptions to that).

Interesting thought about when Roman next loses clean. Hogan didn't lose clean until 1990, after his babyface turn. Can't think of a single time Warrior lost clean in his entire WWF run. Undertaker didn't lose clean until Austin beat him in 1998. I'm less confident on Cena's first completely unambiguous loss after he won the title but I can't think of one until Michaels in London in 2007. So although it's speeding up, there's a track record still of 'the guy' not losing for quite some time. So, once Reigns does beat Brock, if they finally go all in on him rather than making it clear he's the guy but then pulling back, does anyone actually beat Roman clean anytime soon anyway? Are we going to be looking at interference and protection through to 2019? Even 2020?

@lopprimetime

The way the crowds go could dictate that. I mean, Reigns will still be pushed as the top guy for a few years but will he have the match like where Cena had with Bryan where he put him over clean or even the Punk ones? I think today's WWE, where wins and losses matter so little to the company, they wouldn't hesitate if they found a reason. Only thing is that the only ones near Reigns level or could get there quickly are Braun, Seth, Dean, AJ and possibly Nak if he has a big 2018. Maybe none of those matches happen in the near future, alignments change.. etc

But i think with the right opponent, i don't think it damages Reigns.

Squared
    Oh, I didn't mean that I thought it would hurt him. I don't think it would have hurt some of those other guys to lose the odd match, either. It was more about whether he might receive more protection if they go with him fully this time. Good point abour the reaction though, that could be the most telling factor. Probably has been to date, anyway.

@lopprimetime

The way the crowds go could dictate that. I mean, Reigns will still be pushed as the top guy for a few years but will he have the match like where Cena had with Bryan where he put him over clean or even the Punk ones? I think today's WWE, where wins and losses matter so little to the company, they wouldn't hesitate if they found a reason. Only thing is that the only ones near Reigns level or could get there quickly are Braun, Seth, Dean, AJ and possibly Nak if he has a big 2018. Maybe none of those matches happen in the near future, alignments change.. etc

But i think with the right opponent, i don't think it damages Reigns.
    Even with the MITB 2011 match between Cena and Punk, Cena still did not lose cleanly. Vince and Laurinitis interfered.

On was on the train today, and they had an add with a bunch of faces, and I found either Roman Reigns' retarded brother, or what he will look like after Lesnar beats the shit out of him for real.

IMG_0003.jpg

Squared
    Writing for Reigns seems to have improved a bit lately. If they hadn't already poisoned the well there maybe this would have a lot more people on board.

@lopprimetime

They've cut down on his talking, is what I'm sensing. It wasn't a weakness of his, exactly, but what made people like him initially was that he just speared guys out of their boots without asking any real questions. Remember how he'd just let Ambrose and Rollins do most of the talking and then put the exclamation point at the end? I'm feeling like they've gone back to that.

You're bang on Oliver, the best promo he ever cut was when he stood out there for 10 minutes and all he said was "This is my yard now".

He works best when he is a man of few words. The problem is he is fighting against over 10 years of creative that says the top guy needs to come out in the first segment every week and cut a 10 minute promo. WWE Creative are VERY formulaic which allows them to pump out 5 hours of programing week in week out but it means they have ended up trying to force Roman into a role he isn't suited for. Hopefully they are developing a new formula for him which will work to his strengths not emphasise his weakness.

Honestly I've been on board with him since his program with AJ back in 2016. Not only did it make AJ it really showed me the template for Reigns: hard hitting matches that build to a big crescendo of counters and false finishes. He is actually quite adaptable too, he can work well with smaller guys like AJ but also do the monster matches with Braun.

Looks like they could be giving themselves an out on Roman's title reign tonight on Raw with him losing the title by DQ.

I don't know who you could do it with (Miz?) but someone attacking Roman to give Joe a DQ win and the title, then a Triple Threat at the Rumble with that third party taking the fall to Joe seems like an option to move the title off Roman without a viable loss.

Squared
    News everywhere is that Roman Reigns has been named by a jailed steroid dealer as one his clients.

I actually felt like Roman was starting to overcome a lot of the stuff that has held him back over the last few years, but this is not good news for him or the company. What are hances that this quietly goes away? Or to people think it's the kind of thing that could derail the efforts to get him on track as a top star and babyface?

@lopprimetime

It all depends on when Reigns was his client. The WWE suspended Reigns in 2016 and it was addressed by Cena on Live TV last fall. So if all of this is in the past, and Reigns is clean now, and has been for over a year, then I do not see it affecting his push.

However, if there is more to this story, then Reigns vs Lesnar may be scrapped for Lesnar vs Strowman.

Thing is, this guy was only arrested early last year. Nothing to say Reigns hasn't been using them since his 2016 suspension for (I think) adderall.

The issue, for me, is how it looks to push someone who potentially was a steroid user to the top of the company now that the news is out there. WWE has been so hot on the Wellness Policy in recent years that I can't imagine if he was using he wouldn't have been caught out at some point, possibly more than just that one suspension too. It gives the impression, especially as this is now public and he's accused by the guy who may have sold him the drugs in the first place, that WWE is overlooking this because he's the 'Golden Boy' who they want on top.

If I read the main page correctly, it seems like the guy, Richard Rodriguez, is implicating Reigns as part of the distribution chain, meaning that either Reigns helped import or sell the steroids.

That could be devastating if true. That could probably mean immediate termination, IMHO.

But if any of this is remotely true, I see Reigns losing the IC title to the Miz on Monday now, and even more so his Mania spot.

Not a good look Roman. How long untill he starts 'working strikes of his record'?

I highly doubt Reigns was involved in distribution of steroids. It makes way more sense for him to just be a client. Its a PR problem at this point and we don't know how credible it is. Do I care if Roman took/ takes steroids? No. I don't care about any of these guys who do... Most are probably taking something to keep going, the policy is such a joke that you have exemptions and leeway... Its more of a thing of being out there and looking bad.. like the WWE was hiding something.

Oh, that's different, I read that he was only implicated as a customer rather than a member of the ring.

From what I read, Reigns has only been a customer so far, but not all of the discovery is out there. Rodriguez speaks highly of Reigns, but he may be part of of the distribution. No where does it make it clear on how Reigns was involved besides being a client.

Either way, the WWE has to do something, otherwise they will be seen as covering up for a "chosen one".

I feel like nothing will happen to Roman and they'll probably coast along without any consequences, but on the other hand, a lot of sites have picked up on this, including Forbes. So it's all up in the air.

We don't know the timetable of this so they can sweep it under the rug or they could suspend him but i think that's highly unlikely unless we a get a smoking gun.

The main problem is that the WWE has been promoting the shit out of RAWs 25th anniversary followed by the Royal Rumble all within a week and a half. The media is all over them right now so how can they not address this steroid allegations or punish Reigns? They have to respond with some sort of punishment otherwise it could be a PR nightmare.

First Reigns needs to drop the IC title to the Miz. Do it with run ins or distractions. Then have Reigns get eliminated from the Rumble mid match, no where near the end, then wait and see. The plans for Mania involving Reigns do not have to be changed yet, because Mania is still a few months away, but they can wait a month to see how this plays out. But the WWE has to do something.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Thing is, this guy was only arrested early last year. Nothing to say Reigns hasn't been using them since his 2016 suspension for (I think) adderall.

The issue, for me, is how it looks to push someone who potentially was a steroid user to the top of the company now that the news is out there. WWE has been so hot on the Wellness Policy in recent years that I can't imagine if he was using he wouldn't have been caught out at some point, possibly more than just that one suspension too. It gives the impression, especially as this is now public and he's accused by the guy who may have sold him the drugs in the first place, that WWE is overlooking this because he's the 'Golden Boy' who they want on top.
    I'm not saying that he's clean, but he's been busted by the wellness policy and it had nothing to do, as far as anyone knows, with steroids. And he was named, along with two other celebrities, as clients by a criminal. And he wasn't even outed to the police, but to a documentary maker who may or may not have been paying him for his interview?

It all sounds a little suspect to me. Pick the three highest profile guys that you knew worked out at your gym and finger them for a guy trying to make money off of that interview? "Oh yeah, Roman Reigns, Marky Mark and that other guy were buying shit from me."

Again, I'm not saying that he isn't guilty. Maybe he's on gas right now and they're looking the other way. It wouldn't even surprise me if he had taken stuff in the past, in fact I almost guarantee it. But if he tests clean today, then why should he face any punishment? I got news for ya, half of that current roster used to be on shit, and good on 'em for it.

Anyway, my biggest red flag to believing this is that Roman Reigns was buying bathtub steroids from a Miami gym owner who was having it manufactured in Arizona out of ingredients from China when he's got a cousin from the area that could easily get him the good, Hollywood grade, shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Anyway, my biggest red flag to believing this is that Roman Reigns was buying bathtub steroids from a Miami gym owner who was having it manufactured in Arizona out of ingredients from China when he's got a cousin from the area that could easily get him the good, Hollywood grade, shit.
    Not sure you typed correctly, as this sounds like you don't believe it.

Super Moderator
    I don't.

Its why they would need a smoking gun... Someone who's a criminal is not really that credible unless he has records to back it up, or the authorities release their findings which i don't think they will.