Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roman Reigns

The Brain
    I definitely appreciate that they actually put in some leg work with Ambrose and Rollins. That's the most interesting part of this to me, to be honest. It's when they suddenly joined up with Roman that I thought it started to feel contrived. Then again, Roman was always sort of outside the issue during the Shield breakup, which wasn't good but is part of the story now, so maybe they felt like they didn't need to really include him in the actual reason for the reunion? To be honest, Roman seemingly not giving a shit about Rollins' betrayal was one of the reasons I started to dislike his character, so I'm not sure it does anyone any favors in the long run.

Squared
    If the Shield thing doesn't work, and turning him heel isn't an option, what then?

I know the realistic answer is nothing, but I am wondering if a character change isn't worth a go. An effort at a character rewrite, a more defining programme, a new look, new music, etc.

If reunited Shield doesn't work, maybe the alternative is a fuller break with that character and iconography than they attempted last time.

The Brain
    It's certainly worth a go, but it seems unlikely WWE will give it a try. They don't seem to really mind if it's not working the way they planned at this point. Who knows, considering the path they went down with Cena, maybe they are right that it will sort itself out in the end without tweaking it.

Squared
    Did the Cena thing really sort itself out in the end, or did it just start to diminish in intensity when he wasn't around as much? I've heard plenty of people in wrestling saying that they think the reactions to Roman are worse than what Cena was subjected to. If that's the case, then I can't help but think that if they don't fix Reigns, and then try this shit again with the next appointed one, it'll be even worse again.

At this point I'd pull what they used to do when Undertaker needs some time off and do something ridiculous like bury him alive (ok, maybe not that, but a SERIOUS injury angle or the like). Then give him 2-3 months off. Then shoot a series of vignettes that go through a road to recovery, different man after all this kind of thing. Then bring him back after about 4-6 months with a different look and manner. The combination of the time-off and the shake-up could be like hitting a reset button.

But as you say, they probably won't consider anything so radical. Given that they'd have to pay him a million dollars to set on his ass and record some interviews in that six months they might think it too expensive. But I'd consider it money well spent if you get 5-10 years of Roman as a genuinely popular guy out of it.

I mean, for real at this point - just make him as smug and entitled as possible. Play off the fan perception of him having had everything handed to him by going out there and saying 'yeah, everything has been handed to me because I'm so damned pretty' or something. Make him the arrogant jock from high school everyone hated but was too timid to stand up to. Give him that Rock turn, from blue chipper to chip on the shoulder, or something.

To be honest, put him in the role The Miz is in. Give him a bunch of bottom feeding guys to worship his every move and word.

I know it's a heel turn, but it's begging to be done. All the parts were right there after Mania and I can't believe they didn't go that route.

Sit him at home would be nice, mind you. You could just run with it now until the Rumble. Sit him at home until then, stop talking about him, and then have his return a complete surprise. Don't even go to the Rumble with him, beyond that. Have Reigns skip the Rumble.

You then can bring him back to face Brock at Mania if you really want to.

I kind of want to avoid the fantasy booking side of it, but here's the way I go with it - have Brock physically decimate Rollins and Ambrose for a couple of weeks. Backstage, in the ring, wherever. If Brock's contract is coming up and he's on Raw for Mania season, fuck it, get a couple of hour three matches out of him to try and sustain a rating. Then when those two guys have been beaten down week after week by Brock, you have Heyman cut this promo on them and The Shield saying how weak and ineffective they are or something. Bang, Shield music goes off, everyone assumes it's Rollins and Ambrose when charging out of the crowd comes Reigns to destroy Lesnar, spear through the barricade, the works.

You've then had Brock go a bit more heel by taking out Shield, and made Roman a returning hero defending his friends and coming back from a bad illness that has cost him months of his career. You do the recovery from injury stuff if you want to play that up, or just have as a sort of returning hero looking out for his buddies.

I mean, it probably leans a little bit too much on 'Super Reigns', but whatever - if something like that doesn't get him face pops nothing will.

And once you're done, you've reconnected Shield for a summer run playing off each other and you can see how it goes. If Reigns still isn't connecting as a face by SummerSlam, you can twist on it and have him be the one with the chair in his hand this time. Or you can roll the dice on heel Ambrose against face Reigns.

The Brain
    I barely even consider it a real possibility at this point, but in a perfect world I do think a heel turn is the best way to go. I'd want them to lean into the idea that Reigns is "invincible". Make it his nickname. Make it his theme song (think he'd be a great fit for "Feel Invicible" in this gimmick). It sounds like money to me and the best way to use him.

But yeah, they'll probably just keep doing what they're doing. I do wonder if the reactions are really worse for Reigns, or if that's just recency bias or a side effect of the fans just generally being more expressive than they were 10-15 years ago.

Squared
    Yeah I had the same thought actually. Remember Cena taking some real shit in 2006/7. But they may be right, I would have to go back to that stuff and I am not exactly minded to, as those are the years that drove me into my pro-wrestling hiatus in the first place.

But yeah, have you noticed that since the move to the more modern Raw format in '97, only Steve Austin has unambiguously got over as top babyface. Everyone else positioned like that - Rock, Brock, Cena, Roman - has been mixed to one degree or another. I honestly think they are overexposed as much as anything.

The Brain
    Well there's no doubt about that, and the time frame you mentioned is a big clue why. The Monday Night Wars cranked up the exposure of main stars to an insane degree compared to the past. Watching through 80s episodes of Superstars, Challenge, and Prime Time, you barely see guys like Hogan and Savage outside of promos. You've got to dig down into the house shows to see most of their actually big matches, so when they are doing shit on TV it automatically feels like a big deal. I don't think you can return to that though, compare it to Lesnar being champ and gone all the time, and a lot of people are down on that too. Roman has a rough ride coming no matter what, unless they do change up the game somehow.

Squared
    Well, that'd be the thing isn't it, changing the game. I'd say keep the champions to PPV barring the odd match. Keep promos shorter and then no more than a TV match every couple of weeks. I wouldn't withdraw them to Brock levels but even that would seem less conspicuous in this postulated world

Hard to put the genie back in the bottle but I am for making the tv less important in a way of things happening, first time matches etc.. people watch the tv regardless, use it properly to build interest to your shows on the Network, the service people have to pay for. The more Raw and SD blend into your special network events, the less reason you give people to even have the network. I can see a great Braun/Roman match on RAW, why should i care if they wrestle two weeks later on a PPV?

That's a big problem for WWE. They don't realize that while the TV show is important, you don't have to have tv draw numbers every week because the numbers rarely change. Not saying you do full on Jobber matches, but BUILD to your big matches so people can invest into characters instead of expecting the wrestling to do it for you.

Squared
    You definitely can't go back to jobber matches for sure, but yeah, you can protect the matches and stars better than they have been. Imagine a world in which the Reigns who looked like a popular breakout star had been better protected. Whole new ballgame.

The Brain
    Yeah, it's just a very weird time with them making such a big chunk of their money off their TV contract, which seems counter-intuitive but I believe is actually the case. Easing back to the old way does seem more sustainable though, in the long run.

Squared
    I mean, you could still feature people regularly. But the way I see it they don't need a 15 minute promo every week just because they are main event. You don't need to win every single week. You can let others take more of the burden and limit only have a longer promo every so often. If the top guy wrestles on TV once every 2-3 weeks they won't run through people so quickly and it won't get so fatiguing for the audience. If you are sensible guys like Roman Reigns and even hands like Orton should never be stood in the ring by themselves with a mic for more than a few minutes. I would keep him to 2 minutes with an Okerlund figure and cover their asses.

Talking isn't their strong suit, why advertise it so often?

The Brain
    Oh god yes, the more they cut back on the mandatory marathon promos the better. I LOVE promos and some guys can do the long ones, but so many guys just flat out should not have that kind of time. I think Seth Rollins' long title reign would have gone over much better if he hadn't been asked to talk for so goddam long every week.

Squared
    For sure. I mean Cena is the only guy I really trust with them now and even then, I'd like it more managed than it was. Great promos are amazing but it's no coincide that 90% of the best ones are on the shorter side. They were often done with an interviewer who knew how to steer, too.

The Brain
    That's another benefit of the 80s WWF style. Most promos are practically soundbites with Gene Okerlund or somebody standing by.

Something I like about Lucha Underground too, I don't think they've ever had a promo segment longer than 5 minutes in their whole run.

Squared
    It's actually an advantage to get other people talking too, although it might seem alarming to them. They're very quickly going to have a better idea of who is worth persevering with and no one will be able to drift aimlessly if they have the old minute and a half slot to showcase themselves.

The Brain
    Oh yeah, and you get to establish SO MANY more characters in the meantime. There are a lot of guys who just basically never get to say anything, because all the promo time got eaten up in the first 15 minutes.

Squared
    Am hearing that they are hedging, but that Reigns could be ready to return next Monday. I hear also that they are keeping a close eye and plans for Survivor Series could change suddenly?

The Brain
    I thought he got replaced by Jason Jordan or something? Though if they are planning to do Shield/New Day, I guess that change still works.

Squared
    Yeah, they did - though what I was hearing suggested they're looking at how Reigns is and trying to see how far they can work him into the show, if he is recovering enough.

The Brain
    Will suck for the Usos if they get booted just for that. Funny enough, Roman could actually come in on their side too given his history with the Usos.

Oh wait, they're wrestling The Bar now anyway, so no worries for them.

Squared
    Here's a question. Say we're all right about Reigns going over at Mania, and finally beating Lesnar by himself.

What the hell do you do with him after that?

Strowman....again. Or Joe.

A feud with a Heel or tweener Ambrose. They've never had a proper feud.

The Brain
    That's not a bad idea. If Ambrose does turn on Rollins and then goes over him at 'Mania, he could be primed for a big Reigns feud.

Squared
    That seems like a way that they might go, but it doesn't excite me at all.

Though I am not sure what would do it. The trouble is that I don't really buy Reigns in any position of jeapordy at this point and they have tipped their hand so much it's hard to conceive of a feud he could decisively lose.

He's not decisively losing to anyone, the closest it came was Braun and still Roman was protected..So then besides hoping Reigns gets pushed down the card, you have to look for fresh matchups and their isn't many to be had.

I think in general, people would be excited for a Dean/Roman feud or at least WWE would try to sell it as something big. Maybe if they had run Balor as a heel with a the club, but where you finding fresh matchups? i just looked at the entire male roster and if you take out guys so beneth Roman, guys that worked singles programs with him (Rollins, Bray, Orton, Sheamus, Joe, Braun, Cena, Miz now.. Undertaker, KO, Rusev, Big show ) you're left with

Dean, Ziggler, Corbin, Balor, Nakamura and Roode.

Not exactly very enticing.

in NXT, there's more fresh faces but i only see Almas likely getting the call up.

Squared
    Short of building for it now (and if we can anticipate it they should be able to) it does seem to be the best of a bad bunch of options. I struggle with it when there's no chance of defeat, though, so I can't imagine much will play well for me. Will have to get my kicks elsewhere on the card.

Reigns' comments to Stephanie last night, while scripted felt more genuine. Maybe the promo battle with Cena, which he lost, did him some good.

AND, i'm glad that finally someone finally said something about continuity. Where have I been? Where have you been? You get, no your husband puts you through a table and you are gone for 6 months?

EDIT: Is there any chance that the WWE can get the Rock back for a match against Reigns? Or is the Rock's production company/insurance company preventing him from wrestling again after he got hurt at Mania?
    Last edited by Powder; 11-14-2017 at 10:51 AM.

The Brain
    Really doubt we will see Rock in that position, but you never know I guess?

Squared
    Slim to none would be my guess. Yet another reason why there are few things you can actually do with Roman at this point, short of a drastic change in storytelling style.

Squared
    I didn't have stick the intercontinental title on him as something that they could do. It's a funny one because if they get it wrong I can see it doing more harm than good to both him and the belt. Get it right... I mean it won't be earth shattering, most likely, but genuine main event talent battling over a title can't hurt in and of itself. Most important thing is that it doesn't become just a thing that he does to kill time while waiting for Wrestlemania to come around. I know they do that sort of thing, but if you do it and it's obvious it kinda sucks. Needs to feel more organic, which takes a bit of effort.

@lopprimetime

I just don't understand what Reigns is going to do with the IC Title, in all honesty. I mean, there's surely no way he gets to Mania with it, is there? So if they're working on building him up for a Brock rematch then he surely won't be taking a loss between the Rumble and Mania to drop the title to someone else. So either he loses it in the next couple of months and we all forget about it, or they have Roman vs Brock, Title vs Title at Mania. Not sure that's a good route to go with it.

Unless, of course, that plan has been scrapped - could they maybe do another Shield Triple Threat at Mania for the IC title after they split? I know it's the booking well I keep going back to, but I think it would work out well, doesn't get Roman in the main event scene but still gives him (and Rollins and Ambrose) something important to do at the big show.

The Brain
    Feels weird to think of a Shield three way for the IC title, which I guess says plenty about how devalued it's become, despite the best efforts of guys like Miz. Speaking of, poor guy... hopefully they have something in mind for him, he's way too good right now not to have a big role.

Squared
    Just been reading that audience reactions, while still mixed, have been kinder to Reigns since the Shield reunion. No telling if it'll survive the angle and breakup but I figure they'll be thinking so far, so good?

@lopprimetime

Squared
    There's a few outlets reporting that Reigns won't win the Rumble. Could be misdirection on the part of WWE, but it does throw everything that people have been assuming about WM out the window if true.

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    There's a few outlets reporting that Reigns won't win the Rumble. Could be misdirection on the part of WWE, but it does throw everything that people have been assuming about WM out the window if true.
    No it doesn't. The Elimination Chamber in February is a RAW event. So that means the winner of the Rumble is coming from Smackdown, and if rumors are to be believed, Nakamura will win the Rumble to face AJ at Mania for the WWE Title.

That leaves the Universal Championship's challenger still up in the air. So the WWE will do as they have done in the past and have the winner of the EC be the #1 contender for the Uni Title. Reigns wins the EC and faces Lesnar as scheduled.

It is just that the WWE may have learned their lesson and keeping Reigns from winning the Rumble again. The Rumble is in Philly and the WWE knows that they will shit all over a Reigns win, so just have Nakamura win it, and the crowd goes nuts.

Then Reigns wins the EC, and all is right in the WWE world.

Squared
    I think you've misunderstood me, because there is a big difference if you look at the build up. People have been assuming for the longest time that Reigns wins the rumble and goes on to WM. Though the end match might end up being very different, there's a world of difference in the build up to Mania in Roman winning the shot in January, and in his picking it up in February. A difference of nine weeks of build up against just five, for one thing. You can't just look at the night here, you've got to look at what they have planned for the run-up, and Roman not being anointed #1 contender so early is very different from what was being called for months on end.

But Nak winning the Rumble is exactly what these other outlets are reporting, for what it's worth.

@lopprimetime

Gotcha, and I agree.

BUT, the way I would book it is simple. I would have Strowman, Cena, Reigns and Nakamura as the final four.

Then Strowman knocks down both Reigns and Nakamura and Cena blind sides Strowman to eliminate him - sets up Cena vs Strowman at Mania (if a Cena/Taker match isn't happening), then you have Reigns eliminate Cena to a huge chorus of Boos. Then Makamura vs Reigns 1 on 1 for a few minutes only to have Nakamura finally eliminate Reigns for the win.

This makes the crowd go nuts. It gives them the villain of Reigns getting eliminated by the Hero Nakamura. And Reigns is protected b/c he is in the final two.