Thread: Assassin's Creed

Assassin's Creed

Use this thread to discuss all Assassin's Creed games, from the original to Black Flag and beyond.

Squared
    Bumping this because even though it didn't take last time, I know that there's a new Assassin's Creed game called Origins that has been released in the last few days, and I figure this is a big enough franchise that someone will have played it and want to offer some early thoughts.

I haven't played some of the most recent Assassin's Creed games, but I do enjoy the franchise quite a bit. This game looks like a killer game in the series.

That being said, I was considering eventually buying this game but the PC port of the game is catching a lot of flak because reportedly the anti-piracy DRM that they're using for the game is causing major performance issues. They implemented a DRM on top of a DRM (there's a "Yo Dawg, I heard you like..." joke somewhere here) and it's causing some pretty high CPU usage even on powerful PCs. This causes the CPU to work harder and heat up more, and causes the game's performance to suffer a lot. I get anti-piracy measures and am all for it, but to do so at the expense of the in-game performance is really shitty of Ubisoft if this is true.

Squared
    It seems like the sort of thing that can only hurt you in the longer term.

I look at these and think they look amazing, but am not always the biggest fan of the action-adventure genre. Still, think I should probably pick up a cheap copy of one of the PS3 ones and actually give it a go.

The game is really fun to play, with so many different ways to play. I'm not big on games that rely on stealth, but the Assassin's Creed series really does it right in my opinion. There's also plenty of times where force is necessary too and it doesn't feel out of place. I'd recommend at least trying one out. I'd say some of the older ones are still good to pick up if you find it for cheap.

The first Assassin's Creed game I played was Assassin's Creed 2, and I really enjoyed it. I played the first one just for storyline completeness and it was alright. I also played Brotherhood, part of Revelations and Assassin's Creed 3 and 4. Out of all of the ones I played enough, I would recommend Assassin's Creed 2 as a good starting point, maybe Brotherhood, and then Assassin's Creed 4 for something entirely different from the previous games.

Squared
    Cheers Deg, will keep an eye out next time I am near a shop that does preowned stuff.

I have played all the AC games from 3-Origins, and have the Ezio Collection still in the shrink wrap.

They all have their pros and cons, while most of the games from Black Flag on don't heavily focus on the AC mythology. I would actually say Black Flag (which I believe is FREE on PC if you have a Ubisoft Account this month) is more pirate game with a little AC thrown in. It's a good place to start.

I have platinumed Origins, and that to me might be the best AC game. There is some mythology, but not so much as it would be confusing for a newcomer. The time "in the present" 2017 is fairly limited and not as integral as it was in games earlier in the series. While the ending of Origins was a little bit of a let down, I found exploring Egypt to be a whole lot of fun. The stealth aspect in this one isn't a primary focus like in previous games and thankfully there are none of those "follow bad guy around town" sequences. I enjoyed the landscape of Egypt. It will probably be nominated on some Game of the Year awards, but with games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it's going to be hard to win any of those awards.

I did enjoy Syndicate, where you play as twins siblings during the beginning of the Industrial Revolution in London as the female was more stealth/sneaky/speed and the male was more brute force, so it was nice to choose how to attack given situations.

I enjoyed Assassin Creed 2 best of all. Big improvement on the first game