Thread: EVOLVE thread

Reality Champ

EVOLVE thread

There's nowhere else really to post this, but EVOLVE is getting big enough anyways that it probably deserves its own thread.

We may be getting some form of TNA vs. WWE under the EVOLVE banner. Drew Galloway had cut some promos about Evolve working with WWE basically being the death knell of independent wrestling. People in Evolve, like Johnny Gargano, had obviously disagreed. During a match between Galloway and Gargano, EC3 came out. EC3 ran down Triple H, Bill DeMott, and WWE/NXT in general. The two beat down Gargano, TJP, and Drew Gulak (who had all qualified for the Cruiserweight Classic), before Ethan Page came out with a chair to even the odds. So...yeah. There's potential here for a game-changing angle.

Anyone believe they put Cody in the Anti-WWE angle with Galloway & EC3?

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLSHITMANIA View Post
    Anyone believe they put Cody in the Anti-WWE angle with Galloway & EC3?
    I'd say no right now, simply because I don't think Cody becomes majorly anti-WWE. We also don't know how many shows Cody is doing. It's possible that he shows up to Joppa on the 19th, faces Chris Hero to check that match off his list, and never shows up for EVOLVE again.

Squared
    Bit quiet on this for a while, but might get some more attention. I hear that William Regal is being promoted for the first big Evolve show coming up in December, which might help to get a few more eyes on the product.

The Brain
    For a split second I thought you meant he would wrestle, but obviously no... is it really a draw for people to just see William Regal? I love the guy but that's a bit much for me.

I've only seen a handful of EVOLVE stuff this year, but some of it has been pretty dang good. They did a street fight with Chuck Taylor and Matt Riddle back in January that I dug the hell out of, and there's a Fred Yehi/Kyle O'Reilly match in April that I thought was fantastic. Caught the end of Galloway's run there and didn't think much of it though, it's tough to have a meh match with Matt Riddle these days but he managed it. But I never "get" Drew anyway, so your mileage may vary.

Squared
    Well, it would be for me! It's not going to get the casual fan, but you might get stronger fans to take a look at you who might not have done so otherwise. If nothing else, Regal has 78 times the followers on Twitter, so even if he just tweets about it then you reach a fuck load more people.

I don't really get Drew either.

The Brain
    I guess the Regal connection is good purely for just getting word out that the promotion exists at all, haha.

Squared
    Speaking of getting the word out about the promotion existing, here's the matches they are promoting for their next two events.

EVOLVE 96 – Dec. 9th – Queens, NY – 8pm EST

WWN Championship Match
    Keith Lee defends vs. WALTER

EVOLVE Tag Team Championship Match
    Jaka & Tracy Williams with Stokely Hathaway defend vs. James Drake & Anthony Henry

No Rope Breaks Match
    Matt Riddle vs. Fred Yehi

Non-Title Special Attraction Match
    EVOLVE Champion Zack Sabre Jr. vs. DJZ

Battle Of The Breakout Stars
    Darby Allin vs. Austin Theory with Priscilla Kelly

EVOLVE 97 – Dec. 10th – Melrose, MA – 7pm EST

Main Event #1 – EVOLVE Championship Match
    Zack Sabre Jr. defends vs. EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Jaka with Stokely Hathaway

Main Event #2 – The Rivalry EVOLVEs
    Matt Riddle vs. WALTER

High Stakes Three-Way Match – Non-Title
    WWN Champion Keith Lee vs. Tracy Williams with Stokely Hathaway vs. Darby Allin

Top Talents Collide!
    AR Fox vs. DJZ

The Brain
    Those cards look pretty good! Keith Lee/WALTER should be quite the hoss fight. WALTER might be the best in the world in 2017 and I'm glad he's broken into the US this year. Riddle/Yehi should be awesome, and that's an interesting stop. Sabre/DJZ is very interesting, I love that Zema is getting a bigger indy spotlight after GFW inexplicably lost interest in him, he's a super talented guy doing the best work of his career lately. Big fan of Tracy Williams too. On night 2, Riddle/WALTER should be another great edition of their feud which has spanned several countries this year, and Lee/Tracy should be pretty fantastic too. Fox/DJZ should be pretty jaw dropping if you like aerial moves, and both guys can put on a story too so hopefully they'll be on the lookout to add that layer.

Squared
    Zema has talent, for sure. Character wise I preferred Zema Ion to DJZ but I guess he gets better with more seasoning generally.

They still running a strong emphasis on W-L records in Evolve? That seemed like an interesting USP for a wrestling promotion and one that basically guarantees decent stories provided your booker understands how sports work.

The Brain
    It's not nearly as strong as it was at the start, when it was like the basis of the whole promotion. When they closed up DGUSA, EVOLVE became WWN's catch all for their top indy stuff, so now it's closer to a traditional promotion. I'm not sure they ever really capitalized on it property anyway.

Squared
    Ah, that's a shame. Though perhaps not surprising. Thought it sounded too good to be true. And I guess most bookers/writers would struggle with that format now. Most would feel the need to tinker around too much.

The Brain
    People like to praise Gabe Sapolsky, who also booked the early years of ROH, but I think there's evidence that his best quality is his eye for talent and not his actual booking.

Squared
    Some people just get these reputations don't they? In a sense I think you could make a similar case for Vince McMahon, you know. Hell of a promoter, but of his two biggest stars, he bought one ready-made and he other practically fell into his lap. And it sounds like he has farmed out a lot of the actual nuts and bolts to other people, when things have been going well. Great promoter, not so much with the booking.

Sounds like that Regal thing might be the WWE doing some scouting.

The Brain
    Oh sure, EVOLVE is practically a feeder territory for WWE now, along with PROGRESS and maybe a couple other places. Gabe is even working as a creative consultant for NXT currently, and is on record giving the roster instructions about what to do in order to be ready for WWE, such as orienting the action towards the hard cam and other WWE-isms.

Squared
    I thought half the indies had that kind of relationship with the E now.

Didn't know Gabe was that involved though.

The Brain
    EVOLVE's relationship with the 'E is by far the most explicit, though it's true WWE will take talent from just about any corner of the wrestling world in their current hiring spree model. Most aren't actively working with WWE though. Regal does a lot of scouting from what I hear, and once in a while you'll hear about somebody like Quackenbush doing a guest trainer spot at the Performance Center, but EVOLVE is on a whole 'nother level of being involved.

Squared
    I tell you what, it's educational this whole coming into the general wrestling forum!