Thread: Ryback vs WWE

Super Moderator

Ryback vs WWE

Ryback was apparently either sent home or asked to go home, depending on who you ask, due to a contract dispute. The rumor is that he is perfectly content to sit out the remainder of his deal (and Vince feels the same way) unless they can come to an agreement.

Then, this pops up on a Tumblr blog reportedly belonging to Ryback:

Today I sit and fly home and for the first time in years feel absolutely free. I will start by saying I did request to be taken off of WWE television until myself and Vince could get a yes or no on a new deal. This has been going on since my IC Title run and had been nothing but a major strain on my life as all I ever wanted to do was work for WWE. I was told to head home until we agree or not agree to specific terms and contrary to reports it isn’t over money or a bus that stuff was settled a while ago. It comes down to a major problem I have with not only WWE but wrestling in general.

Wrestling is pre determined, we as performers know before we go out to that ring or perform a backstage scene who is winning and losing etc or have a general idea of what we are going to say. It blows my mind how in a sport which is pre determined from a company standpoint winners are paid so much more than the losers. Every single person who works for WWE from top to bottom is absolutely just as valuable as the next. The winners cannot win unless the losers go out there and agree to lose to them.

It blows my mind that in this day and age though we still adhere to this formula. Obviously things have always been this way, but does that make them right? Times have changed and our goal as humans should be to evolve and learn from our past and the past of others so we could make this world a better place. Why is it a guy who is told he is going to go out and lose and does everything he is told be paid not only less, but much less than said winner over a period of time. Every single performer for WWE sacrifices the same amount of time from home and their families and every single man or women goes out and does what they are told. Looking at this formula though losers turn into what fans like to call jobbers and their value decreases in the companies eyes and before you know it they get released. For what? For doing exactly as they are told!

Why not pay the talent equally? The winners have more MERCH as it is or are supposed to anyways so they get that extra perk, but why make the guy who is told to and agrees to lose earn less and sacrifice spots in big pay per view match ups etc. This is one of the major problems with wrestling and WWE today. Most guys take great satisfaction in helping making other talent, the bitching and the moaning we always hear about stems from the fact they know they are ultimately over time going to make less and live in fear of being released.

I am proud to say I have never gone to change a finish and have gladly took pride in helping put over other talent. Hell look at my pay per view record of 12-26 and you will see that has been the pattern of my career. I have always been confident in my ability and work ethic to being my best every day and ultimately always felt that by doing good it was the right thing to do. Personally seeing my money go down over the years though even though I was working as much as ever and being denied magazine covers and other projects as well as watching my role diminish no matter what I did or how hard I tried takes its toll on a human. Being told no matter how hard I work or how good I get doesn’t always pay off is something I fucking refuse to ever believe in my life. I am a creative being and to be restricted time and time again is no way to live life. There is nothing I cannot do and I know no matter what comes of this situation I am going to be just fine. It isn’t soley about money, it is about commitment. Commitment to a guy who fucking cares and who loves this more than anything in the world and wants to know that his passion his efforts and his determination to constantly improve is going to be recognized and taken care of.

WWE may very well release me, which if it is the case so be it. If we can work things out a lot needs to change as I am not living in fear and creatively cannot continue to live a life that limits me creatively. I have many other interests and passions and have been very smart with my finances over the years. I thank every WWE superstar from top to bottom for their sacrifices and for working with me. The world is an amazing place and there is more than just a WWE universe there is The Universe and I will prove one way or another over time I am the greatest big guy in the universe!
    Is Ryback done with the company? Is that relationship salvageable? Are we just a few months away from Ryback popping up in ROH or NJPW? Has CM Punk earned a measure of respect for Ryback today?

See, I've always worked with the knowledge that you ask what you ask, whether you're winning or losing. I want the same pay either way. But I get what's being said there: Fandango is making waaaay less than Roman Reigns. On the one hand, you'd say that's fair, because Roman earns more money for the company through merch and ticket sales.

I'd argue, and WrestleMania proved, that the WWE brand is the draw, not any single performer or match. On top of that, many of those lower tier guys aren't given the option to move merch, because none is made for them. Are people going to buy Fandango shirts? Likely not. But for a four or five month period three years ago, I'll bet you Fandango foam fingers at $25 each could have bought the guy a house.

What are everyone's thoughts? I'm not sure that I have mine yet.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; Today at 04:25 PM.

He's probably done. It's not that it's irreparable, I just don't see why Vince would want to. He's damaged good for the WWE at this point based on how they've booked him, but he could be useful to someone else. Perhaps NJPW, though there are probably better gajin giants out there to get, so I don't know if they take him. Vince loves confrontation, and respects people who stick up for themselves, but they actually have to be stars that are worth something. If people remember Vince was trying his darnest to get Punk to come back during 2014, whereas Hunter was done with him. Then there's the list of other people who left Vince and had had a falling out with him, and Vince still brought em back.

The problem is I don't Ryback is worth it, for the WWE. But not totally out of the question either.

As for whether if CM Punk gained new respect for him, um.... Hell no? Punk thinks Ryback is jacked up peice of talentless, unintelligent shit. I doubt he gained any sympathy for him. Especially considering Ryback was mocking Punk long after Punk was gone.

RIP Prince
    #CommieRyback

Can't agree with much of what he says. Some people deserve more money than others, sorry. No two guys bring the same amount of tools to WWE. Should Cena and Fandango make the same?

Well, even Stalin wrote essays on why people are not equal and do not deserve to be paid the same. So Ryback is even more extreme.

I agree with him in one sense though. Amongst the three Shield guys, according to the Forbes article that had WWE pays leaked, Reigns got like 2.1 million, where Seth got less, and Dean got even less (Dean was 1 million I think). Considering how they've all worked pretty much equally hard in the post-break up, how arguably none of them is a real draw, and how Dean and Seth are more talented and over, you'd think they'd be paid roughly the same. Yet, because Reigns is the chosen one and the one who is pushed and booked to be strong and win, he gets over double what Dean gets.

I actually sort of agree with Ryback. Wrestling is predetermined, therefore you can't say this person or that person is better based off wins and loses, unless you have a reason for wins and loses. Now if you have a formula on pay based off TV ratings when you're on screen, and crowd pop or heat at house shows, then I can see. And if your a main eventer, of course you'll get paid more. I doubt anyone is getting paid more in Hamilton than Lin-Manuel Miranda, so no one will get paid more than the WWE main event scene. Kevin Nash once said that wrestling was all a work until you get your check as WWF champion, because that extra pay is a shoot. So yeah, you pay your main eventers more. But in terms of mid-card, which the majority of people are, you could have some sort of rubric to explain pay and even set goals with talent to get paid more. Like if you want extra pay, pop a rating once you get onscreen, get yourself trending on Twitter, make people care about you. Once people care about you, pay will go up.

This is just an excuse I think. I would be willing to be that everyone in the midcard is making about the same amount; maybe not exactly the same across the board but close enough that it's not a great distance apart. I'd also reckon Ryback is making more than most because he's a) a long tenured employee compared to most of the roster and b) has been in the main event scene. So while I do think he has a point, I don't think that's what is going on here. I think he's ticked off his career has flat lined ever since he was turned heel after Wrestlemania 29 and he's fed up with it.

King of Cuteville
    My comment isn't about Ryback, it's about the "brass ring".

If you are never given the opportunity to grab the ring....is that your fault?

If you go off-script/plan and it works at that point are you grabbing the hypothetical ring? Or is it a cause to push you farther down the ladder because you didn't do what you're told?

I don't think I am a communist, but I do think everyone should get a true shot.

T.O. is right, Ryback shouldn't make as much as Cena....but people don't get the chances that Cena got....so how are we supposed to know what your ceiling is?

RIP Prince
    I should make more than all of you, I've been posting here longer.

Life isn't fair and neither is a business like WWE. Even if you agree with his points, he has no leverage, even less so in this network era where you could say one performer is drawing buyrates before in the ppv era, its about the brand and the stars they do have now. Nothing they do with Ryback now will really improve his career unless all of the sudden this post of his makes him a bigger star, that's doubtful.

I think Ryback saw his contract coming up, they offered him less than he thought he was worth and so he went home. If he returns, he looks like a bitch who caved.. WWE isn't going to take someone like him seriously. Maybe if it was John Cena...

What Ryback doesn't realize that not every entertainer is worth the same.

Look at the Marvel movies. Robert Downey Jr. makes far more than Chris Evans in the last Avengers movie. Meanwhile, Evans has to get in crazy shape and run around in some uncomfortable costume, while Downey mostly just has to stroll onto set in a t-shirt he probably got from home. So why is one guy making $40 mill, while the other makes $6.9? RDJ is just the more popular guy.

I do think WWE dropped a huge ball with Ryback, but it seems like he let the jobbing get to him. And if you think about it, if his contract was up soon, and it wasn't sure he'd re-sign, would you make him the new champion?

Ryback is done. He's apparently already fighting WWE over the Big Guy trademark.

Yes there are tiered paychecks, but the midcard guys should make more than what they do. It is like what Ventura was fighting for 30+ years ago. A union. The talent are not "independent contractors". If that was the case, then there shouldn't be a non-compete clause or the talent should be able to move freely between companies.