Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,120 of 1180

Thread: Impact Wrestling General Discussion

The Brain
    It's about trying to assert control, and it's really stupid and counterproductive. These attempts to pretend everything was terrible before the current regime came into power are pretty pitiful.

They aren't done with these odd decisions either. You guys know how TNA/IMPACT/whatever they are now have a deal with Konnan's promotion The Crash? Well apparently they're about to go back on that and enter into an agreement with AAA instead, starting tonight at AAA's Rey de Reyes event. Unless Konnan has suddenly made up with Dorian, it's very possible he reacts very poorly to this, the Crash/TNA deal goes up in flames and Konnan, LAX, Garza Jr. and the Laredo Kid are out almost as soon as they arrived.

The Brain
    That sounds pretty much exactly par for the course.

Speaking of out the door, peace out to Aron Rex. They just never knew what to do with him. And when they finally found something (or when HE finally did)- he loses his title. The Liberace gimmick was... interesting... but with the strength of the performer behind it (plus being backed by the always entertaining Spud), there's no telling what could have came from it. This doesn't hurt as bad as losing the Hardys, Jade or the Bennetts, but it still sucks that they never bothered to try to lock down one of the more entertaining guys in the biz.

Good luck pushing Karen Jarrett as a face authority figure.
    Don't Touch That Dial!

Quote Originally Posted by JSR-13 View Post
    Speaking of out the door, peace out to Aron Rex. They just never knew what to do with him. And when they finally found something (or when HE finally did)- he loses his title. The Liberace gimmick was... interesting... but with the strength of the performer behind it (plus being backed by the always entertaining Spud), there's no telling what could have came from it. This doesn't hurt as bad as losing the Hardys, Jade or the Bennetts, but it still sucks that they never bothered to try to lock down one of the more entertaining guys in the biz.

Good luck pushing Karen Jarrett as a face authority figure.
    Aron Rex was so damn bland when he first arrived at Impact, but he definitely started to generate some buzz with his new Liberace gimmick. While I thought him and Spud was interesting, I don't consider this a huge loss considering personally, I'm really loving the talent that's being brought it in/back. The Liberace gimmick would have needed airtime and with just two hours for a week, I rather see some other wrestlers get a bump and a push.

Mauro announced on twitter that he isn't done calling pro wrestling. His WWE contract is up in August I believe. A safe bet would have him return to Japan, but is it a long shot for him to wind up in the Impact zone? Mathews is now gone from the booth (most likely only in kayfabe, but also in real life if Impact were smart), so that leaves Pope and JB, but I'd rather see Pope with a beast like Mauro while JB can go back to ring announcing and interviews. Oh, and Spud can go back to being a wrestler too.

I can dream, can't I?
    Don't Touch That Dial!

Anthem just filed trademarks for "Broken Matt", "Brother Nero", and "Broken Universe". Will wonders never cease...
    Don't Touch That Dial!

I don't really follow Impact anymore but I read the taping son the main page. I won't give spoilers but from what I read I looked up some clips from last week and Scott Steiner is back and Josh Matthews is a wrestler? I'm sure there are positives about the show too but good Lord.

Steiner looked so old.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I don't really follow Impact anymore but I read the taping son the main page. I won't give spoilers but from what I read I looked up some clips from last week and Scott Steiner is back and Josh Matthews is a wrestler? I'm sure there are positives about the show too but good Lord.

Steiner looked so old.
    Sigh. Yep. I mean- there's more to the show than that. But unfortunately, this has been the feud that receives the most attention for some reason.

Steiner indeed has aged, and I'm still struggling to understand why they spent the money to bring him in.
    Don't Touch That Dial!

The Brain
    Because they want to exclusively employ people who are loyal to Jarrett or desperate for cash/exposure, and Steiner probably matches both criteria pretty well.

I was surprised at the silence when he "debuted." I figured there'd be some sort of reaction, but there was zero.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR-13 View Post
    Sigh. Yep. I mean- there's more to the show than that. But unfortunately, this has been the feud that receives the most attention for some reason.

Steiner indeed has aged, and I'm still struggling to understand why they spent the money to bring him in.
    He's still a recognizable name, especially to TNA's average viewer. He probably didn't coast a ton either, since he owns a restaurant and this requires like three days of work per quarter for him.

I fumed. Fucking lost it when I heard two radio hosts on the LAW that probably couldn't find a fucking gym with a map shitting on his physique. He's 54! He probably still looks better than 85% of wrestlers on today's scene. I shut the show off and it's 50/50 if I'll listen again.

Man, I almost want to be in charge of posting news for Impact on the MP. Gail Kim was interviewed and said that she's not under contract, but she is still very much part of Impact. She is cleared to return, but will do so when the taping schedule opens up. That's one lady off the checklist of who will be appearing in the Mae Young Classic.

Hey- that's good news to me. The knockouts division needs her, and lord knows we don't need everyone being snatched up by WWE.
    Don't Touch That Dial!

I haven't been keeping up with the product, but it finally happened. TNA is no more. Not even Impact Wrestling.

It's now Global Force Wrestling. Guess it's time to change the this forum's name.

I'd imagine this was Jarrett's plan all along. He must have known the problems Dixie was having. And people say pyramid schemes never work.

LOL this is so dumb..

Super Moderator
    Either way, it's a good idea for Anthem.

Distance yourself from the TNA brand.

What kind of bullshit is this? "Impact" was perfectly fine. GFW has never had a shred of credibility to justify this dumb decision. Fuck Jarrett.

Super Moderator
    For the love of god...I'm normally a defender of GFW, but it looks like this battle over the Broken gimmick might be wrapping up sooner than later because somebody done fucked up.

It's like nobody at Anthem knows how to file a trademark?

They were too late on Broken Matt, because Matt already filed. They shit the bed on Brother Nero and Broken Brilliance, and Vanguard1 is too close to other things to trademark.

Womp womp...

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    It's like nobody at Anthem knows how to file a trademark?
    In that case, I'm going to go get that owl.

Super Moderator
    Take the owl. It can be yours.

Any guesses on when TNA/GFW will finally fold? What are the odds that it's assets will be bought for anything more than just a library?

Super Moderator
    What assets? They own rings, production equipment and a few other things. Otherwise it's the library that's of value.

If Anthem wants out, they'll take a decent offer for the library (WWE fucking carney'd their way into owning the TNA trademarks/library LOL) and liquidate the rings to whomever will buy them. Likely at auction or online sale.

Fuck, if I can get some production assets at a steal I'll pick a couple up. Think they still have the four sided ring in a warehouse somewhere?

So Cornette is gone already. Apparently can't get into Canada, which is the site of BFG and the next two months worth of taping.

In bigger news, we have absolutely no idea what to call them now, nor does Josh Matthews. The BFG press release didn't mention GFW at all, and Matthews said they are going into Canada as Impact, but after that who knows.

Can we please let this dumpster fire burn?

Squared
    I've only seen one episode of this since the name change. It was a big improvement on what I'd seen before so in a sense it's a shame that it looks like they are circling the drain and won't get to try to build on that. But still,even though it was better I still don't feel inclined to watch next week which I guess says it all.

The Brain
    It must not have been the first episode of the new era you watched, Prime. I'm still scarred from that one.

Amazing how the company has supposedly been on the brink of collapse for what seems like most of their existence at this point. At this rate, the company will bury us all.

Squared
    I did see that one, but it wasn't the one I was thinking of. That was up there with the worst shows I have seen. This one had Cornette on it and Eli Drake as champion if that helps to date it.

The Brain
    Vaguely, yes. It does sound like they've improved from that first awful step, but it was SUCH a turn off I really haven't looked back. Thinking of giving them a chance again since Jarrett's no longer there to push his craptastic vision and they seem to have found some footing again. Maybe next year, if they're still alive...

Squared
    I don't really get why Jarrett has never really worked out as a creative figure. Lord knows his dad had the ability, as pretty much everyone from the older generation says. And he makes a lot of the right kind of noises - I, at least, hear him talk about stuff and think that he could be on to something. But it never translates into anything too interesting - in fact, it always feels like a knock-off WWE. But then, this is a guy who despite having a rep as something of a traditionalist is tight with Vince Russo, so I guess we should maybe expect it to be less than convincing.

I kind of hesitate to say it because it's such an obvious point to raise, but I just think Jarrett is too much of a mark for himself to let anything he runs or has creative power over to become half decent.

Does he have half decent, or even fully decent, ideas? Yeah, probably, but so do a lot of people. The best of those are the guys that remain backstage and let others act them out, but I think throughout his time post-WCW he's constantly put himself in the good, or high profile, situations with scant regard for making other talent on the card.

I don't think, for example, that AJ Styles would have had half the career he has had if Jeff Jarrett hadn't stepped away from TNA in 2007 and limited his appearances. At least he knew when the time had come to do that, I guess.

Squared
    I get why he did that in the early days of TNA. It's the old territory mentality. I slammed him for it at the time, but the logic was that you just couldn't put the title on someone like Raven if you didn't know that they were going to be sticking around. I sort of understand that, although it doesn't explain the later stuff, when TNA had more people under exclusive contract.

Maybe it's like a lesser version of the HHH thing? That thing where as one of the bigger names of wrestling in the last boom, you don't see many people as coming up to the same level of starpower that you have. Jarrett obviously can't claim to be the star that Hunter was, but at the same time he'll always work with people who haven't reached anything like the same level.

The Brain
    Whatever the reason, Jarrett definitely never had the touch his Dad did. The way Memphis weathered the WWF storm longer than just about anyone else and stayed regionally hot is really amazing. Yeah, whatever noises Jeff may make in the right direction, his unbreakable bond with Russo is as telling as anything.

Super Moderator
    To be completely fair, though, Jerry kept Memphis going for so long because he paid guys nothing and maintained a solid relationship with Vince. He could get WWE guys in to pop a house if needed, pay guys a pittance and keep the rest. If anything, Jerry got out of USWA too soon. He sold in 1995? If he'd managed to hold on another two years, the entire business exploded. I still hear stories from guys who have been in the business forever of indy shows in the mid-to-late 90s, right through until 2002-2003, drawing in the thousands and making real bank. If Jerry had held out another two years, USWA might still be around today -- hell, it might have filled the void of a legitimate number two when WCW folded.

Jerry was carney as hell. Jeff is carney as hell. I don't hold it against anyone in the business (there's a reason that it's managed to survive so well for 100 years), but the Jarretts have kept their companies alive so long and for so well because they are a carney family.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 09-25-2017 at 01:47 PM.

The Brain
    That's a fair point, especially about the USWA sticking around. That's a pretty interesting what if.

Super Moderator
    It really is. Indies hit a huge boom when the nWo and Austin caught fire and wrestling was cool. Like I said, I know guys who talk about wrestling in front of crowds of thousands in random towns throughout North America.

We're talking about a Jerry Jarrett who had close ties to Vince (to the point where Vince loaned him Macho Man, Jeff Jarrett and other WWE talents), and later worked in a consultant role for WCW. Even when he worked for WCW, Vince respected the man and this was before the obsession with keeping everything locked down.

If Jerry could have weathered the storm for a year and a half to two years, he could have been part of that boom the indies experienced. On top of that, he had ties to WCW and WWF. USWA literally could have been a place where we had WWF guys with ties to Jerry facing WCW guys on loan from the place he was currently consulting, because both companies would have seen him as little more than a Tennessee indy. And then once 1998 and 1999 hit BOOM USWA could have been a lower level player. A southern ECW.

Literally, if USWA had made it past 1996 and into '97-'98-'99 when indies were making real money, they could have really padded the bank accounts been a place in 2001 for some of those WCW guys to go when the company folded to push them to national. Or, even better, risen up while WCW was on the decline in 2000. We could still have legitimate competition today. Imagine, TNA but not named after a stupid, offensive joke and entering 2002 with an already established brand and no Vince Russo (at first).

Or, even better, a USWA beginning to rise up throughout 2000 and getting national TV. Wrestling was ready to explode. ECW was able to get a national deal. A stable USWA, with a more mainstream friendly product than ECW, would have gotten on TV easy in 2000. That company could have brought in Jeff Jarrett hot off of a WCW World Title run, or siphoned off a few guys like AJ or a disenchanted "Fat Chick Thriller", or a Ric Flair that hated Bischoff, or any of the younger guys who couldn't get pushed past some of the old guys, plus someone young and green like Test whose push had stalled entirely.

Squared
    I thought the general consensus was that it was the Monday Night War that killed their business? If that is right then it would have taken incredible genius or balls-bordering-on-recklessness to have stuck it out. The thing that is killing me now will eventually be our saviour is an all or nothing play.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fascinating thing to imagine and it could have been great for the business as a whole, but the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of it is that hindsight is 20/20.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I thought the general consensus was that it was the Monday Night War that killed their business? If that is right then it would have taken incredible genius or balls-bordering-on-recklessness to have stuck it out. The thing that is killing me now will eventually be our saviour is an all or nothing play.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fascinating thing to imagine and it could have been great for the business as a whole, but the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of it is that hindsight is 20/20.
    Nobody realized that the MNW would explode the business as a whole. They killed their Monday draw in Memphis, no doubt, and they weren't able to recover from that. People didn't follow them to Thursdays after decades of Mondays. When they shut their doors, everything but Memphis was still consistent. Granted, Memphis is what kept them alive.

But the worst numbers that they ever did in Memphis are still better than numbers for many indies today. So let's say, for the sake of argument, they shrink for a year or two. They trim their roster a little bit and keep pushing. If they could have held out, the natural boom of the business would have swept them up, too.

The real shame is that Jerry sold the company at all. Having that USWA name and not going with TNA would have helped so much from day one.

With regards to TNA - the New Monday Night War certainly harmed them in a way that should and could have been avoided, but creatively they did great work after it and drew some new fans or returning old ones back to the program.

I mean, the A&8s program and Styles as a lone wolf was hot as heck in 2012/13 and got a lot of talk going around the product. Truth is they never really capitalised on it with the follow up, and Team Dixie was a pretty damp squib in terms of having tongues wagging (much as I loved the EC3/Spud stuff).

Ultimately, I think the biggest issue is missed opportunities. They had a hot X Division - and then depushed it to focus on new big names. They had hot wrestlers - who fell by the wayside when the new big toy came in. They had hot storylines - but never planned a strong follow up.

I'd say the Monday night thing most likely lost them money. But I think the real thing that lose them boatloads of cash was taking the whole thing on tour. They had a home at Orlando where they had regulars that would really enjoy the show. Moving it outside of that (and probably into venues too big to sustain it as well) cost them dear in terms of both the financials and the actual product that was coming out.

The one place they could always count on a good gate was the UK, though. And then earlier this year Challenge dropped the weekly show and it took months before somewhere else picked it up again. I'm not sure whether the UK fanbase has or will bounce back.

IMPACT has officially terminated their relationship with Jeff Jarrett and all things GFW

The Brain
    Well thank god for that. Do we know who's calling the shots now?

Squared
    Was only a matter of time, but any idea where this leaves the company going forward?