Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
Results 1,201 to 1,228 of 1228

Thread: Impact Wrestling General Discussion

The Brain
    I don't believe Fenix and Pentagon have ever properly feuded in LU, I remember them wrestling a few times when they first showed up in season 1 but nothing too personal.

You have completely flabbergasted me by comparing ADR to Regal in '94. Regal in that era was amazing, dragging great matches out of people who had no right to be in them at every opportunity. I think Alberto could sink just about any ship he sets sail on, by comparison.

I do find it weird that LU decided to hitch their wagon to the sinking Impact ship at this point. People are more aware of the Impact brand than LU in general so maybe that's the reason, but generally Impact awareness is not positive so it's a bit of a puzzler.

So far, along with that Main Event, the rest of the card announced to this point is:

LAX vs. Killshot & The Mack for the Impact Tag Titles
    Andrew Everett, DJZ and Dezmond Xavier vs. Drago, Aerostar and King Cuerno
    Eddie Edwards vs. Jeremiah Crane in an I Quit Match, which is actually kind of dumb considering Edwards is feuding with Callihan on Impact and now he's going to be someone else

Interestingly enough, Johnny Mundo/Impact and Taya/Taya Valkyrie aren't on any of the promotional posters

The Brain
    That six man tag should be pretty nuts.

I think they're trying to work the Crane thing into the Edwards feud, as in they're acknowledging Crane as different persona of Callihan, Cactus Jack/Mankind style. Not really in love with that idea, but here we are.

Mundo and Taya should be obvious picks, nuts if they leave them off the card. I can't imagine they're committed elsewhere?

I just had the idea that they should wrestle each other. Honestly I'd love to see that, I think they'd kill it.

They've now added Taya vs. Allie, which is kind of stupid in a way, because it's a match that is basically just an Impact match

Squared
    Apparently Impact's Youtube channels has been breaking all of the records set by the previous iterations of the company.

Not sure how positive this should be taken, but I guess there's probably no way it can be bad news for them, right?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Did anyone catch last night's show? LAX vs Killshot/The Mack is worth seeking out. Phenomenal match. Among the best of the weekend.

The show overall was great. Hope they keep it up. That was a great step in the right direction.

Also... Fuck Del Rio.

Welp. Guess it wasn't a work. Alberto has been released from Impact wrestling.

hopefully i never have to see him wrestle again.

I didn't think El Patron had a chance of winning on 4/22 but the new main event is even more certain. Aries vs. Pentagon vs. Fenix...it has to be A-Double going over.

That's the main event now? They just did it at the IMPACT vs. LU show.... lame.

Del Rio is like real life Bojack Horseman, minus the charisma.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    Del Rio is like real life Bojack Horseman, minus the charisma.
    Minus any reason to be sympathetic to him, minus any reason to be interested in him!

So, so, so glad he's finally gone. He was a big factor in me dropping the show entirely last year. May have to work them back into the rotation now, it's clear they're back on a good track now that they've shaken off basically everything from the post Dixie reboot and quietly segued into doing something actually good.

Squared
    They pissed off el hijo del fantasma by leaving him off a poster, apparently...

All seems a bit Yaya Toure's birthday cake to me, but whatever.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Brain
    Definitely had to google that reference!

Squared
    Oh yeah, I didn't really think that through, did I?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

2010 Samsung Galaxy Tablet is what I got... CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    Is the triple threat really scheduled to be the main event of Redemption? I'm not disappointed about it, just not thrilled about either. I hope it'll be a great match since they're all phenomenal talent... I guess my perception of TNA still resonates with Impact! since this feels more like a PWG or ROH match-up.

The Brain
    I think that's part of what they're going for, to be honest. Not necessarily to be PWG or ROH, but to show they're different than the old Impact. Dumping ADR will go a long way to actually accomplishing that!

Squared
    Being the company that takes PWG, RoH style talent and tries to put them in front of a crowd in a way that will appeal to both indy fans and maybe more of the older or more casual audience might not be the worst move for them going forward, y'know.

I don't see how doing it without a twist on it works out for them long term but if they can feel like the biggest, most legit, top level of that kind of wrestling then they'd have a little niche they could work from.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I think its a smart way to showcase other talent. You're not doing a bunch of live events, its just TV and a few PPVs only the hardcores will watch. Haven't checked the recent tv but I can't see how it would be a bad thing to use fresh talent.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I don't see how doing it without a twist on it works out for them long term but if they can feel like the biggest, most legit, top level of that kind of wrestling then they'd have a little niche they could work from.
    I think the best twist they can put on it is put these top level talents together with some honest to god stories. That's one of the things lacking in places like PWG and EVOLVE, so couple these guys together with some hot angles and you'll really have something. That's essentially all NXT has done to acheive success, nobody was ever talking about guys like Gargano and Ciampa as 5 star caliber wrestlers but put them together with a really good story and everything is elevated.

^True. I think people liked Gargano more than your average guy but the feeling about Ciampa when he showed up in WWE was that he was not a big time player and that ROH was better off without him. I certainly never saw him as a guy who could have great matches.

And for guys that have the great PWG style matches, where they barely have any angles, its good to see them elsewhere to see if they can do that.

The Brain
    Exactly. ROH does some angles but they also forgo them a lot of the time. LU does tons of angles but they are kind of in their own niche, and that goes double for CHIKARA, and besides that there aren't a lot of story driven wrestling companies out there. That's Impact's best shot I think, as long as their creative team has their shit together. The fact that they actually drummed up a little buzz around Aries/ADR is a sign they might be on the right track, because it's damn hard to create positive buzz about ADR in 2018.

Thought tonight's PPV was a good show, if not great cause there was no blow away matches. But nothing really was bad, we had a major title change, an interesting angle with Eddie Edwards that makes me intrigued to watch Impact for the first time in awhile.

Also, Slammiversay is in Toronto this year. July 22

Might make the trip to Toronto for Slammiversary if the show keeps being good. Only about 4 hours from me.

The Brain
    They've certainly made huge strides in the right direction since kicking out basically everyone who was involved in the disastrous 2017 reboot, most specifically Jarrett and Del Rio. After reading the results from last night's show, they're officially back on my radar, though I doubt I will go back to watching full time.

Only gripe. Next time, don't keep Rosemary off your show...

Great great show. Far better than i could have guessed it would be.

The Brain
    More focus on Rosemary is always a good plan! Wasn't there meant to be a Rosemary/Taya match last year but it got scrapped? Would love to see that revisited.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    More focus on Rosemary is always a good plan! Wasn't there meant to be a Rosemary/Taya match last year but it got scrapped? Would love to see that revisited.
    Look it up. It happened recently. Really good match.

The Brain
    Nice, I have no doubt!