Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
Results 1,161 to 1,191 of 1191

Thread: Impact Wrestling General Discussion

The Brain
    I mean, they are still pushing ADR so obviously they aren't very concerned about this sort of thing...

Squared
    Wasn't ADR the victim of that stuff rather than the accused? That's what I remember hearing at the time anyway.

Speaking of ADR/AEP, apparently he's talking about retiring in 2019. Probably not a surprise given that he'll be 42 that year and his best days as a draw seem to be behind him. But you do wonder where Impact would go if they didn't start preparing. They seem to have a few eggs in his basket, if that's not too obscure a metaphor....

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    There were more accusations than you can shake a stick at in the whole ADR mess, but plenty were directed at him. If I recall he was the one under actual investigation for domestic abuse, though they didn't find enough to actually charge him.

I don't like the guy as a performer but seriously, I hope he and Paige are now getting the space they need. Seems to be some real bad stuff happening in that relationship.

But, back to not liking the guy as a performer, if ADR retired today it'd be addition by subtraction for Impact.

Considering how much they probably have to pay ADR, I doubt it can be seen as anything but a good thing for Impact if ADR retires soon. Even if you thought he was a draw, they don't tour.... sooooo

Super Moderator
    If I recall correctly, the actual story that came out on that whole incident was that Paige, who has a known track record of being a drunken, immature trainwreck, got mad at ADR at an airport, threw a drink in his face, hit him a bit and caused a scene.

I don't remember if it came out what they were initially fighting about, but my guess would be that the 40-year-old man was being openly exasperated by the drunken, immature trainwreck.

It was assumed that ADR was the cause of the problems or was violent with Paige, but nothing has come out whatsoever to point to that being true. That's why he's back.

I think Bram got lucky with charges being dropped. I believe that he was suspended for those six weeks between the initial incident and the charges being dropped, but I'd have to go back and check. The fact that they were dropped is the only reason he still had a job. He got lucky.

Squared
    My understanding was that they started out investigating him, then the news flipped and the focus was pretty exclusively on her. But I guess there could have been some tactics in that. They seemed to have split earlier in the month.

I agree with you on Alberto but if he's positioned as a star, that still has to replaced - whether we like him or not.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    I don't think that's a problem, they've still got enough talented guys to elevate. ADR is kind of superfluous already.

Squared
    You seem more informed about it than me, you checking them out a bit more often again?

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Just on paper, haven't really watched. Maybe in the new year the pain of that first Anthem episode will have faded enough...

Squared
    Oh, okay. The bit I caught seemed to have been placing him at the top of the tree, as one of the guys that you don't just replace but that takes some work. But that was a little while ago now, too.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    I mean, they brought him in and made him world champion on his first night, so they're consistently treating him as a big deal. I just don't think it really matters, as most of what I hear about him is complaints (or nothing). I don't think he's any more essential to the product there than he was in WWE. Management can say he's a big deal but that only gets you so far.

Squared
    Yeah, you're right. I have a lot of 'old' thoughts but I don't think they tip into 'old-fashioned' too often, but it probably did there. Think like the territories. Impact doesn't really work like that, does it?

@lopprimetime

Oh wow, Impact is still a thang?

Squared
    Just about, though if you believe what you read it's been on life support for years....

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Yeah, you're right. I have a lot of 'old' thoughts but I don't think they tip into 'old-fashioned' too often, but it probably did there. Think like the territories. Impact doesn't really work like that, does it?
    Maybe a little? I think they'd have to fill a gap if they lost someone like EC3 or Lashley. But yeah, even then it's much easier now to just cycle in someone now, because the bar has been set a lot lower than it was 30 years ago. Still, if the wrong talent leaves you feel the effect. They haven't really recovered from the Hardys going out earlier this year.

Squared
    That's my definition of addition by subtraction, but I would be a fool to suggest they don't equal butts in seats at that level.

@lopprimetime

Squared
    Laurel Van Ness reportedly asking for her release. On the show that they gave her the KO title no less. Be bad news for the company, her stuff was getting some compliments.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    She's a great character and has been doing quite well on the independent scene, from what I've seen. Not amazing in the ring but not terrible either. Not sure if this is a good move for her or not, but yeah it's not good for Impact.

WWE is high on her from what i read and she's dating Ryder so i think she'd be fine if impact let her go.

Squared
    This won't annoy too many around these parts, but James Storm is done with Impact apparently. Wonder if we'll see him give NXT another shot now. I don't think his bridges were burned up there.

Also, according to Austin Aries, they contacted him after he left WWE, but he turned them down. Said they 'had a lot of work to do'. My guess is that at this point in his career he won't want to do anything that isn't enjoyable.

@lopprimetime

Squared
    Historically bad numbers for the latest Impact. People are blaming it on going up against Tribute to the Troops.

@lopprimetime

Am I right than Van Ness was Chelsea Green on Tough Enough?

As for the low numbers - I imagine TttT played some part in it, but really a loss of 60,000 viewers is only big in terms of how much Impact normally attracts. Most shows probably wouldn't bat an eyelid at that. It's amazing to think that 5/6 years ago TNA was hovering around the two million viewer mark, though, and now they're hovering around 10% of that number.

When time goes back, I wonder where the finger will point for the death of TNA. I know a lot of people will pinpoint the Hogan/Bischoff period as being poor, but really those three years were pretty solid for TV, gave us A&8s, saw guys like Aries, Roode, Storm, Bully, Sabin, and Magnus all move into the main event picture, and freshened up a product that was, realistically, starting to become a little stale. Whether that is for the good or bad, I don't know. Personally I think there were certainly decisions made then - touring significantly being the main one - that cost the company at that time, but broadly speaking it was a good period.

I think losing Spike TV hurt them massively.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Am I right than Van Ness was Chelsea Green on Tough Enough?
    She was!

When time goes back, I wonder where the finger will point for the death of TNA.
    Death? They ain't dead.

They're owned by a media company. Remember when WCW was owned by a media company? It took new ownership of that company to kill them. TNA could go on forever. And I'm not just saying that because I'm angling for work.

The Brain
    Yeah, there's a good chance TNA will continue it's weirdly unkillable run for a long time to come.

But in the spirit of your question, I do think Hogan/Bischoff will get a fair share of the blame, right or wrong. TNA was riddled with problems long before they came in, but that's not the narrative that's winning out. All the time I see comments that TNA was good before Hogan and Bischoff ruined it. In fairness, 2010-11 was a very bad stretch. The fact that 2012-13 was actually fairly awesome doesn't get much conversation. In terms of pure numbers, losing Spike was an enormous blow of course.

Squared
    Y'know, I think the good run actually started before the Hogan and Bischoff stuff ended. Yes, what they were doing had it's issues, but I was enjoying the product through the second half of 2011 and I think you can see the stars aligning for the next couple of years.

On the company thing, I guess it could happen if this company shows the same loyalty to wrestling as Ted Turner.

@lopprimetime

If the company keeps losing money and they lose the tv deal with Pop, I can't see it surviving under the current owners. With Dixie the thought was well her family has money.. Anthem is a media company but they've been trying to cut costs, move tapings.. they hardly do any live events that no one goes to. The same company that deep sixed the LAW because of Impact...Also Lashley and EC3 look like their on their way out, as well as Eddie Edwards. No doubt because Anthem has to sign cheaper talent.

I'd be a fool to say Impact will die but they still have alot of work to do to get back on solid ground.

The Brain
    Y'know, I think the good run actually started before the Hogan and Bischoff stuff ended. Yes, what they were doing had it's issues, but I was enjoying the product through the second half of 2011 and I think you can see the stars aligning for the next couple of years.
    This matches up with the timeline I was talking about pretty well, as Hogan (and presumably Bischoff) were around until late 2013 as well. It's too bad they did such a horrible job when they first came in. I mean, who the fuck hires the Nasty Boys in 2010??

To be honest, I'm constantly surprised that TNA survived a midget masturbating in a trash can one week and then trying to shoot Jeff Jarrett the next in the early days, so maybe it's just one of those things that will constantly trundle on...

The Brain
    I literally saw those things happening and it still doesn't feel real to me.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    This matches up with the timeline I was talking about pretty well, as Hogan (and presumably Bischoff) were around until late 2013 as well. It's too bad they did such a horrible job when they first came in. I mean, who the fuck hires the Nasty Boys in 2010??
    Actually, I don't think I really saw anything until the second half of 2010 so I missed all that, to be honest. Wasn't too bad by June when I checked in. But yeah, generally when I think 'Hogan and Bischoff' I'm thinking the time they were together onscreen, rather than their entire run/backstage stint.

Laurel Van Ness reportedly asking for her release. On the show that they gave her the KO title no less. Be bad news for the company, her stuff was getting some compliments.
    Sounds now like they haven't granted her that release. She's saying she's under contract until June.

@lopprimetime

Squared
    Hearing that impact's numbers seem to be turning a corner. Two decent weeks in a row by their recent standards. Not a patch on the million they were getting five years ago but that is years away. Journey needs to start with the first step.

@lopprimetime