Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact Wrestling General Discussion

Super Moderator

Impact Wrestling General Discussion

The good, the bad and the ugly, discuss TNA Wrestling here.

Goldberg Rules!
    Not much good lately outside of Bully Ray and Magnus.

Get fucked AJ Styles.

A Professional Sort Of
    It'll be interesting how things will go over the next few weeks. We have Mickie James and Mr. Anderson.... Kennedy missing from the front page and now there are rumors that JR is going over to TNA to commentate... I hope JR doesn't go, not because of any bias towards TNA, but I think his time has passed in terms of that career. Talent scout perhaps?

Dropkick Murphy
    Last week Styles ran through the X names of yesteryear (Lethal, Shelley, Low Ki... etc) and there are reports of TNA looking to bring in a bunch of new faces...

I wouldn't be surprised if Sabin's push and heel turn was a plot piece for a returning Shelley push... However, TNA has killed my fandom recently so I'll start actively watching starting at BFG in hopes of a company reset.

The Brain
    Killed your fandom? Say it ain't so! Can't argue that it was a lot more fun earlier in the year though. I'm still enjoying a lot of what they're doing but they've gone off the rails compared to six months ago. Not sure why, maybe Prichard leaving, maybe something financial, maybe the best times were just a fluke? Couldn't say.

I'll definitely still be watching for Bully, Roode, Aries, Bad Influence, and a few other great performers on the roster, and for the continued attention to continuity and storyline that is still going relatively strong even as the company is handicapped by some unexpected roster changes and demands.

Post-BFG sounds like the company is going to reassert itself in a new direction, so I'm looking forward to that for sure.
    Last edited by mizfan; 09-25-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I'm still enjoying a lot of what they're doing but they've gone off the rails compared to six months ago. Not sure why, maybe Prichard leaving, maybe something financial, maybe the best times were just a fluke? Couldn't say.
    Sabin. Destroyed the momentum of a hot heel who was looking unbeatable in the middle of a tournament to crown somebody who should then have been the saviour of TNA at BFG for a three week thankyou run for what - getting injured? Being with the company for years? Pointless title reign that absolutely castrated their main story and made Bully look like someone who was beatable, regardless of how it went down, hammah or no hammah. I mean, come on, he got beaten by someone who'd had something like six matches in two years! From that, they ran the foolish A&8s lose faith in their leader, further diminishing his power, and eventually having Sting beat him clean (again, regardless of how it came about - your top champion shouldn't lose non-title matches, whether he's a heel or not).

That, alongside what was a very poor BFG series and now what seems to be some confusion over their top angle - is it Styles vs Carter? Styles vs Bully? Bully vs A&8s? What about MEM wanting to get rid of A&8s - they haven't completed that yet, and Bully's still champion? - means there hasn't been much to cheer in TNA for a few months for me. It's a shame, as they were going along pretty nicely.

To like or not to like. That is the question.

Goldberg Rules!
    Do not like. That is the problem.

The Brain
    Ah, the Sabin thing... the only thing I can think of is that they prioritized making Option C look credible and figured Bully was over enough to bounce back strong, but yeah it all got fucked up a bit around that time. There's always EGO if you really need something to cheer for though, they and Bully are definitely my favorite things over there right now.

See, mizfan, you're in a desperate search to defend TNA! "The only thing I can think of is..." BS to latch onto a thread of TNA's credibility. Dangerous nakedboy-type delusion on this one. Please, open your eyes, man!

The Brain
    Not sure I'm following your logic there man. TNA was telling a story I liked a lot for several months then abruptly went off track. If I speculate as to the thinking behind that decision, I'm being delusional?

TNA is definitely doing more things lately that I don't care for. I'm still enjoying their overall product though, and I'm not going to ruin my own good time or pretend I'm not based on what other people think. TNA makes plenty of mistakes, especially lately, but I don't find them nearly so hopeless as others with different tastes do.

That opening sentence was like you were straining to find a good reason for the "Sabin thing." That's the sort of thing the TNA-apologists are known for, continuously mining for the tiniest gem in the shitpile, instead of admitting it's shit.

I'm not saying it's god-awful, or they have no chance, or they are useless. But call a spade a spade: they are nowhere near the super "long term storyline telling geniuses" you were claiming them to be. There's your proof right there with the "Sabin thing."

The Brain
    In all fairness I don't think I called them geniuses, just that they put more work into it that WWE tends to do. Not really sure if that's the case anymore anyway though, Prichard leaving the company may have changed their creative philosophy entirely. Fair point that it's had more problems recently, stuff like Ortiz and Dixie as a heel has been pretty purely shit. I think there's still plenty to like, but to each their own.

Alright man. I didn't mean it as an attack.

The Brain
    For sure man, I know your debating style is aggressive and I appreciate that about you. I know I'm never getting bullshit, and you've persuaded me quite a few times in the past with the strength of your arguments. I think we just disagree on this one, but either way I don't want to come off as a blind follower so feel free to call me out if I seem to be talking that way. I'd hate to be misunderstood.

More on topic for those that watch the show, anyone have any thoughts on how the AJ/Dixie and Bully/Aces stories are going to intersect? They pretty much have to next week so they can properly build up to BFG, but it's hard to see how they're going to interact.

That'll be tricky, as the A.J./Dixie thing will be focused on whatever Hogan decides to do next week more than likely. Maybe they incorporate Bully into it, but beyond that I'm not sure we'll get any interaction again.

The Brain
    That would seriously piss me off if so. I love what Bully is doing lately, but not even he can build up a top level story in just two weeks and give it the proper time.

The difficulty here is that putting Bully and Dixie together really just doesn't fit, and it's almost the only way they can get A.J. and Bully to interact. I suppose they could say that Dixie is supporting Bully because he's a guy who came from WWE and what not, but that seems off to me as well because of the whole Aces factor. It may just be one of those situations where TNA has too much going on and simply backed themselves into a corner. The sooner BFG is over, the clearer the picture will be, as I think TNA will be able to have a fresh start with Aces dissolved and Hogan and Bischoff likely gone.

The Brain
    Yup, a mini-reset would do them a lot of good. There's nothing wrong with the stories they have (except Dixie, blech), but this close to BFG it feels like it's moving in the wrong direction.

Barnyard
    I can see Dixie siding with Bully Ray up to a point, she won't want AJ to win at BFG, that gives them a common goal. Considering how quickly Dixie forgave Hogan for stealing her company, aligning with Bully isn't too much of a stretch.

Henchman 21
    Wow good to see that while LoP reset things are still the same on here. TNA does not do a story line how some people want and it is called crap. Because they prefer to not do the paint by numbers booking that is all the rage they do not know what they are doing. People have no idea how to try and properly put things in perspective. On a scale of 1-10 they only know how to use 1 and 10. And people still calling me a TNA apologist. Well in the past I found that annoying. But now I am taking Dixie's lead. I am embracing and owning the hate.

I apologize for TNA. I apologize they did not consult certain people on here on what they should do with their story lines. I apologize that their writing is like an onion. Peel back the outer layer and there is another layer. And under that another. As apposed to some companies that are like a banana. Peel back the outer layer and find a mushy center. I apologize that they are human and make mistakes but do not have a many decades long rich history to help fans overlook those mistakes and keep backing them.

So yea call me a TNA apologist. I can think of worse things. Like calling me Pen.

Wait, was that supposed to be an insult? C'mon nakedboy (change your name all you want, you'd still the little boy who runs around with no clothes, and now you do it on purpose for attention), you spent 3 paragraphs telling people how stupid they were not to appreciate TNA, yet shared exactly 0 words and 0% of your post to what should be appreciated in the first place. Saying something is too intelligent for someone to understand, without explaining your reasoning, is nothing more than rat feces.

Call yourself whatever you want. You'll continue to be embarrassed by yourself and others until you feel the need to change your name again.

Oliver
    I think the problem with TNA is that you cannot spin this positively in anyway. Say what you like about it, but they're still making a mess of what appeared to be some very good, long-term booking with A&8s. From the start until the formation of MEM, everything was nicely paced and was revealing itself more like a novel than wrestling booking, with twists and turns where necessary that were not really done for the sake of it but came at the right time to keep the interest. Bully detailing exactly how he'd tricked people across the past year was fantastic television, still possibly the best thing on wrestling TV this year - it showed exactly how carefully planned it had been, and it felt like TNA had put real thought in to it. You had a strong heel champion, backed by a reasonably sized stable that could help him when times get tough. He looked unbeatable.

And then (Oh God, I'm doing this again) Option C comes along and it all goes arse over tit because they weaken everything they've built in one moment for (on reflection) nothing. It was a poor mistake that felt like it wasn't thought out, but it undid the whole storyline in that moment, for reasons I've already stated.

A&8s unravelling is a good story to tell, especially as it seems to be coming around as a result of Bully's own ego. The problem is, it should be the main storyline after 18 months of them running wild on the roster, and it's competing for space with something that, to date, has been very, very poorly done. I don't know what other way there is to do, as Styles is too important for TNA to lose as a member of their roster and it feels like this whole push has been given to him as a carrot to keep him in the company, but if this had all happened six weeks later and the falling apart of A&8s had gone through to BFG (which is really where TNA should have been 'saved' from Bully and A&8s, whether it be Styles or not (and there is a good story in AJ, the face of TNA, coming round to save them, but it didn't fit him given everything he had going on at that point in terms of character)). Then you can push the self-destruction of A&8s down the card a little, because you have established a new (face) champion.

AJ's sudden character reversal from silent 'lone wolf' to 'P1' is like Sting going from crow Sting back to bleach blonde crop Sting after Starrcade 97. Like 'oh, we're done with that thing now, as you were'. It just undoes everything good they've done with the character throughout this year, finally making him interesting to watch again after an absolutely unbearable 2012 when his storylines, at least, were unwatchable. If they'd had him positioned as the BFG Series winner and TNA's hero after winning the title from Bully at BFG (without the Sabin shit in the middle, too), and then gone into 'actually, I'm not even signed to TNA anymore, so if you want the belt come and catch me in Japan' or whatever, they'd have gone from ending one very big story arc and then into another. At the moment, it's like watching the first series of a TV program but, six episodes from the end, deciding to splice it up with the start of the second series, so you're bouncing from one major story reaching what should be its big conclusion and another that needs your full attention as it develops. That's why it's not working right now - neither storyline is technically 'bad', but they can't run them both alongside each other as the one major storyline.

Goldberg Rules!
    WWE's storytelling in the Rhodes Family saga alone is stronger than everything TNA has going right now. Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

Yeah. It's almost like TNA said, "Hey look! We're garnering attention and acclaim with the storytelling we've been doing, our strong booking decisions, and our excellent wrestling characters. Whelp, time for a change! Hey, what's for supper?"

Hey, you guys! Come on! You just aren't grasping the intricate details of TNA. It must be going over your puny heads. You see, TNA storytelling is like an onion, it has so many layers.

And that's why it makes you cry too.

Quote Originally Posted by Henchman 21 View Post
    I apologize that their writing is like an onion. Peel back the outer layer and there is another layer. And under that another.
    Funniest shit I have heard in a long time. Thank you.

So what layer did we make it to with the Joe being kidnapped Onion? Just curious.

Goldberg Rules!
    The 23rd. The answer was at the 6th, though. They just skipped all over it.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    It's almost like TNA said, "Hey look! We're garnering attention and acclaim with the storytelling we've been doing, our strong booking decisions, and our excellent wrestling characters. Whelp, time for a change! Hey, what's for supper?"
    Pretty much this. Not really sure what happened exactly to cause the change, but they've definitely gone off the track I was enjoying so much earlier this year. I'm still enjoying Impact pretty consistently but they've gone down a bit while WWE came up in quality tremendously, especially compared to the first 6 months of the year.

TNA deserved all the positive things said about their storytelling ability through the 2012/mid2013 period, and there are still some aspects of that present, but on the whole I can't really see the claim that they are still firing on that level. Hopefully they'll bounce back, but we'll have to wait and see.

Henchman 21
    MP had a good article with an interview with Austin Aries. He had some good things to say including a couple that echoed what I have said recently. Like how letting go talent opens the door for new talent to keep things fresh for some fans. And how one of the things TNA is doing right is letting characters move away from the traditional face or heel character and explore the grey areas. How their characters can be more like real people who are neither all good or all bad but are one of the many shades of grey. I hope whoever is in charge going forward realize how great A Double is and listen to what he has to say.

Stable wars are all good but there has to be some story developing on a personal level. Between two individuals. They had one of those this year. They hinted at it. Teased it. Then dropped it out there - nowhere. Bobby Roode and Austin Aries could have helped Bound for Glory. Now, for the reason fuck I know, AA is involved in X Division while Roode is involved in the MEM business. Sure, there's a reason for Magnus to get mad at Roode and EGO but it doesn't feel as important or as heated as AA vs BR could have been. As said above, Bully Ray and AJ are supposed to fight each other but are involved in completely different storylines.

Letting go of the talent from time to time is good but the extent to which it has been done is downright ridiculous. I don't think they'll like the BFG numbers. This is absolute opposite of what should be the situation considering that they have shifted to only 4 PPVs a year. I guess they could have done away with one of these speciality tv shows in order to build well for BFG.

It feels like Vince Russo 101 booking to me.

I do have to admit though, I liked their speciality tv shows so may be they can still build towards it well. May be MEM can start taking the heel role? May be it can dismantle? May be we all can pretend that it doesn't and never exist(ed)?

Hey henchboy, not continuing from your previous post? I didn't think so.

Maybe TNA is planning something post-Bound for Glory to make up for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Henchman 21 View Post
    MP had a good article with an interview with Austin Aries. He had some good things to say including a couple that echoed what I have said recently. Like how letting go talent opens the door for new talent to keep things fresh for some fans. And how one of the things TNA is doing right is letting characters move away from the traditional face or heel character and explore the grey areas. How their characters can be more like real people who are neither all good or all bad but are one of the many shades of grey. I hope whoever is in charge going forward realize how great A Double is and listen to what he has to say.
    I believe Aries also said in that interview that he had no idea what had happened to TNA's direction and that someone who he wouldn't name was responsible for it being worse off.

My guess is that TNA as we know it is pretty much finished. Which is not to say that TNA is going under, but that the Carter's are getting out. The main page reported earlier today that at worst, Spike will keep TNA because of the ratings they bring in, which would lead me to guess that they will buy TNA from the Carter's (if they haven't already), then either sell it to someone else to run or run it themselves. I wouldn't doubt that this angle between A.J. and Dixie is perhaps the onscreen way of transitioning the Carter family out so they can start anew in 2014, with a new owner and maybe a complete overhaul. Hell, they may not even be TNA anymore for all we know.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMaskedNewton View Post
    Letting go of the talent from time to time is good but the extent to which it has been done is downright ridiculous. I don't think they'll like the BFG numbers. This is absolute opposite of what should be the situation considering that they have shifted to only 4 PPVs a year. I guess they could have done away with one of these speciality tv shows in order to build well for BFG.
    I'm one of the few who feel that they needed a huge purge.

They had so many people either not on TV (Kenny King, for instance) or not doing anything when they were on TV (DOC and D-Lo). They've got a roster that's small enough now where they can give some focus to everyone without leaving a pile of people off TV. Hell, A&E is small enough now that all of their members actually wrestle.

I've long been a proponent of doing a major roster purge. Picking the crew that you're going to go with, and from that the crew that you're going to push and try to get over at the top. Everyone else can be involved with one another or putting over those top guys.

A company the size of TNA doesn't need DOC's or Devons or D-Los or half of their Gutcheck guys. They were glorified jobbers and a company the size of TNA would do just as well to bring in local wrestlers as jobber on the nights that they need them.

You need Bobby Roode to dismantle someone tonight? Why sacrifice a member of your roster (WWE can afford the JTG's of the world) when you can hire a local guy for one night and not have to pay an annual contract?

The only down side to a smaller roster is that it's too top heavy. You're going to end up with a lot of real main event talent (I'm looking you, Bobby Roode) in midcard feuds against other main event talent (I'm looking at you, Austin Aries) or just midcarders (Mr. Sabin...).

Henchman 21
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I believe Aries also said in that interview that he had no idea what had happened to TNA's direction and that someone who he wouldn't name was responsible for it being worse off.

My guess is that TNA as we know it is pretty much finished. Which is not to say that TNA is going under, but that the Carter's are getting out. The main page reported earlier today that at worst, Spike will keep TNA because of the ratings they bring in, which would lead me to guess that they will buy TNA from the Carter's (if they haven't already), then either sell it to someone else to run or run it themselves. I wouldn't doubt that this angle between A.J. and Dixie is perhaps the onscreen way of transitioning the Carter family out so they can start anew in 2014, with a new owner and maybe a complete overhaul. Hell, they may not even be TNA anymore for all we know.
    It is possible they are having troubles and are on life support but they could be going through growing pains like any young company. Heck even businesses that have been around for decades have troubles sometimes. I know most people here and on MP point to what is going on as signs the end is near and it might be. I am just pointing out the possible other side.

They realize their brand recognition is terrible thus smaller crowds on the road. What I would like to see going forward is majority of Impacts go back to one place. Personally I hope it is Universal Studios in Orlando since I will be moving down near there hopefully but whatever works best for them. Then take it on the road for their "PPV" specials and a few other special ones. Stick to markets they have done good in and build from there. Much like WWE did when they were growing as a regional promotion to a national one.

I hope that the restructuring will make them stronger going forward. I really think we will have a better idea going forward after BFG. Depending on story lines and new talent they bring in. I wonder if WWE ever goes through with their own network, and that is a big IF, and end up pulling shows off other networks will help make TNA look more appealing to networks. Not saying USA or even SyFy will be falling over themselves to sign TNA. I am not crazy, the voices in my head said so, but I can see the possibility of them at least looking at TNA. Especially if they make necessary changes going forward.

Never said the company was going to fold; my point was that I think Spike will either buy TNA and then keep it themselves or sell it to someone else to bankroll it. The company isn't going to die, but it may be different from the standpoint of presentation and hell, maybe even a new name.

Henchman 21
    I did not mean to infer that is what you meant. I was simply saying that they might be in trouble as others have said. But there is another possibility. What you said makes sense. Impact does do good ratings for Spike so makes sense they keep them around. Especially if they want to use it to promote other projects like Bellator. Which I am really starting to wonder how much say TNA has in that. It seems like they were trying to build Tito into Bully's new posse and as soon as they start he and Jackson get pulled from Impact.

First off, TNA having Tito and Rampage pulled was a major positive for them. Those guys added nothing to the promotion at all in my opinion.

As for how much pull Spike and Viacom may have over TNA, I still think it's at best minimal. Clearly they had influence on TNA bringing in the MMA guys, but not for one second do I believe that they're responsible for TNA letting the likes of Morgan, Joey Ryan, DOC, Mickie James, Tara and others go. That's on Dixie Carter and whatever issues the company is having. I do believe that TNA is in some trouble here; what I'm also saying though is that unlike WCW back in 2001, they'll be able to get out of trouble because their network still wants them and can bring someone in (whether it's themselves or another) to at least try something different. Till they aren't in control of Panda though, it's not good.

I doubt TNA will just fold. There is definitely money to be made here.

Marketing has always been an issue for TNA. They have a decent enough roster to garner some attention, but their live events pull no better than most indy events.

I say keep Hogan on payroll, but cut his salary and appearances. Vince is the biggest authority in WWE, but only shows on screen a handful of times a year. Hogan should do something similar, and then be the advertising voice of TNA. When they are showing a Spike TV commercial for impact, have Hogan introduce it with his famous voice, and a shot of him on the screen. "This week on TNA wrestling, brother" and then have the standard Spike TV voice over guy give the highlights, and end it with Hogan with "Whatcha gonna do, brother". Maximize the time you have with him, without exhausting his name power. As an onscreen GM, you're not getting your money's worth since he's just not great at it.

And the roster purge was necessary. TNA should have a revolving door of former WWE talents like and RVD, DOC (Gallows) and Mr Anderson, while keeping a select few homegrown talents under longer and better contracts. Guys like RVD should come in, win a couple, put over the TNA regular, and then walk away. No more than 12 month contracts at a time, while someone like Magnus should be signed for 3 years.

As for the roster being top heavy, this is where they should have less restrictive contracts, and more pay per appearance or monthly contracts. Should Robbie E really be a regular? Let him work the indies.

And, let Sting go. This isn't to benefit WWE in signing him, but there's only so much he can do for TNA, and what else is left? He's been GM, World Champ, put over younger stars, headed a stable, heel, face....etc. I doubt he's the most expensive talent on the roster, but I doubt he's worth what he's been paid at this point.

And to finish off, this will probably be the most controversial note, let go of guys in the top who aren't being used much. Why is Samoa Joe still on the roster? He floats around the same level, but hasn't done a fucking thing. James Storm, Kurt Angle, and I'd even say AJ Styles are all expendable at this time. I'm not saying they are useless like Sting is, but it really feels like they are being held in TNA because of the fear of them being stars in WWE or in AJ's scenario because he's been there from the beginning. Well, so what? Let WWE scoop up Kurt, AJ, Joe and Storm. IT doesn't matter what they do with these guys. WWE won't hire 4 guys like that without dropping a few names from their roster. Would anyone be surprised if a Drew MacIntyre, Jack Swagger, Brodus Clay or Big E Langston end up released anytime soon? Maybe not, but there's bound to be releases if WWE hires former TNA guys to make room. TNA could pick these guys up, and suddenly there are no gaping holes in the roster. Or, if WWE doesn't hire them, hire guys like Chris Masters, John Morrison and MVP who would fit into those types of roles as well.

I think it's a pretty strong fact at this point that the former WWE names aren't adding much to TNA in terms of brand growth. If Hogan, Sting and Angle have added to the ratings or buyrates, I don't think losing them now will hurt as much as they've gained. Bully Ray is the star. Let him shine. If in 6-12 months he's in a position to be let go, do it. He's older, and there's a lot of heel talent in TNA that can excel.

TNA has to cut their budget. Cut down on pyro, excessive roster signings, live touring...etc. It's not the end, but the signs are there that it is looming.

Here's a question; would it be better for Spike to buy TNA and own it themselves, or should someone else try to swoop in and buy the company?