Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bray Wyatt

I would agree with that except i feel like Bray's gimmick is more likely to work as a foil off Hardy, then it would off simply fear and menace when they have basically stripped that away with bad booking and shit like the house of horrors and sister abigail.

If anything, i think the Hardy feud will help reset Bray.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post

People on message boards don't care about that kind of stuff, average fans do.

Man, I can't tell you how often I talk to fans at indy shows, average everyday people who have the WWE Network and go to live events but aren't "Internet fans" in the sense that they are on message boards or reading dirt sheets or immersed in the minutia. These people care about things like size and the size disparity in matches like that. These are the types of people who roll their eyes at the idea of some of these matchups. These are the types of people who aren't in it for six star matches, but are in it for the entire ride.

And for me, personally, Bray vs Brock is a lot more interesting than Finn vs Brock. Finn vs Brock is probably exactly what you suggested, and I wouldn't buy any of Brock's selling for Finn. I'm sorry, but I've been in the ring with guys that I have a 50-lb weight advantage on, let alone Brock's 100-lb advantage, and I can toss them around like rag dolls whether they're working with me or not. AJ/Punk (both billed at 218) is my lower limit for Brock, otherwise I'm probably skipping the show. I'm so much more interested in Joe/Braun/Bray -- guys closer to Brock's size that can nut up to him and hold their own and not just try and play stick and move or hope to get a lucky shot in.
    There is something to be said about sports/crowd psychology. When you're in the audience at the show, or at home, and you see the crowd totally into the match, chanting for Finn (or dueling chants), buying the false finishes, you can become swept up in it and totally find yourself suspending disbelief and find yourself forgetting the size thing. Just the reaction itself can have an effect in making your brain think that interesting things are happening. People said the exact same thing about Punk vs. Lesnar - in fact, if I recall correctly, I expressed doubt that anyone would buy into it as plausible because Punk was a 'skinny vegan freak' with one of the most unimpressive physiques on the roster, and it ended up being one of the most memorable matches in years (even for casual fans, as the WWE was forced to acknowledge).

I can say with confidence that if I wanted to attract casual fans - who don't have my tastes - to watch wrestling by showing them a match, I would show them AJ/Lesnar, or Punk/Lesnar, or even Finn/Lesnar, years before I showed them Braun/Lesnar or Bray/Lesnar. Why? Because the first three matches are fast, intense, dramatic, stiff, action-packed, filled with 'cool' sequences, spots, and stuff, and have the contagious crowd reaction. Casual fans love that stuff. I have personally seen it time and time again watching wrestling with people or at bars. After all, no one really - even casual fans - believes in the realness of wrestling, the first thing you always hear from them is 'but you know it's fake right?', they come to be entertained. From my experience, even casual fans, don't like two lumbering giants because it isn't exciting. Simply compare the crowd reactions between Braun/Lesnar, or Lesnar/Big Show to Lesnar/Punk.

This is a world in which Connor McGregor is the biggest star in combat sports, and if he were walking around in real life, his size is so indistinct that he would not stand out in the least. I am sure there are people out there who don't find Connor convincing but enough do that he's the biggest star out there.

And I would never ever ever show any casual fan Bray. Between the Mania match with Orton and the house of horrors, kids might buy that stuff, but I would be red-faced with shame if I had to show stuff like that to adult friends, because it's just so unbelievably cringe-worthy. They would probably laugh at me and wrestling and never watch it again, it's that bad. Even his regular shtick of 'lights turn on/off and stuff happens' is lame to people who aren't wrestling fans.

This might be a case where you have a lingering old school wrestling mentality from a time when the fans really did care about size, Coach. I truly think the wrestling audience has moved past that. They won't buy any *small* guy, and there are some that are too ridiculous (obviously Hornswoggle vs Lesnar would never work), but they would buy a lot more smaller guys than ever before.
    Last edited by Allystare; 12-05-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Forget about size and whatnot; Bray Wyatt vs. Brock Lesnar right now would be laughed out of an arena these days because Bray has the credibility of a broken down GameBoy. This has been Bray's career ever since he beat Daniel Bryan at the 2014 Royal Rumble; lost to Cena, beat Chris Jericho in an unmemorable feud, disappeared, beat Dean Ambrose in a momentum killing program (complete with exploding TV's), put over The Undertaker in a forgettable Mania match, beat Ryback in a one off, got jobbed out massively to Undertaker and Kane in a beyond stupid storyline, got humiliated by The Rock and John Cena, briefly teased a face turn before getting hurt, did stuff with The New Day, briefly had an interesting storyline with Randy Orton, won the title, watched all his momentum explode thanks to an awful Mania match and the hysterical House of Horrors match and then somehow sank even lower with a Finn Balor feud that produced no memorable matches and was on its way to being worse than the Orton stuff till a viral infection spared WWE wrapping up the feud. We're talking about a guy who hasn't won a big feud in three years and who is coming off two of the worst programs wrestling produced in 2017, not to mention the fact (to mizfan's point) he's now largely seen as a guy who WWE dropped the ball on, as well as someone who says the same thing on the mic over and over again and likely isn't as good in the ring as we thought. And yet he's qualified to face Brock? Please. He's not even qualified to face Matt Hardy, and I have my doubts that Hardy can make that work considering, unlike TNA, he doesn't have the book for this one.

In order for me to buy Bray against Brock, you'd have to rehabilitate Bray for over a year and actually make him look like a credible threat, something he hasn't been with the exception of a few months over the past three years. Otherwise the only captivating thing about a Brock-Bray feud is how bad it will be and how quick will it take Lesnar to finish him off. It's a bad idea, and it be a bad idea whether Bray was Finn Balor's size or Braun Strowman's size.

Only thing I will say about the UFC and you would have to include boxing is that they have so many weight classes separated by 5-10 pounds. So you could have the biggest star at 175lbs and a completely irrelevant guy at 230.

The WWE could benefit from a similar distinction.

Cruiserweight - 205 and below

Light Heavyweight - 206-230

Heavyweight - 231 - ???

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Forget about size and whatnot; Bray Wyatt vs. Brock Lesnar right now would be laughed out of an arena these days because Bray has the credibility of a broken down GameBoy. This has been Bray's career ever since he beat Daniel Bryan at the 2014 Royal Rumble; lost to Cena, beat Chris Jericho in an unmemorable feud, disappeared, beat Dean Ambrose in a momentum killing program (complete with exploding TV's), put over The Undertaker in a forgettable Mania match, beat Ryback in a one off, got jobbed out massively to Undertaker and Kane in a beyond stupid storyline, got humiliated by The Rock and John Cena, briefly teased a face turn before getting hurt, did stuff with The New Day, briefly had an interesting storyline with Randy Orton, won the title, watched all his momentum explode thanks to an awful Mania match and the hysterical House of Horrors match and then somehow sank even lower with a Finn Balor feud that produced no memorable matches and was on its way to being worse than the Orton stuff till a viral infection spared WWE wrapping up the feud. We're talking about a guy who hasn't won a big feud in three years and who is coming off two of the worst programs wrestling produced in 2017, not to mention the fact (to mizfan's point) he's now largely seen as a guy who WWE dropped the ball on, as well as someone who says the same thing on the mic over and over again and likely isn't as good in the ring as we thought. And yet he's qualified to face Brock? Please. He's not even qualified to face Matt Hardy, and I have my doubts that Hardy can make that work considering, unlike TNA, he doesn't have the book for this one.

In order for me to buy Bray against Brock, you'd have to rehabilitate Bray for over a year and actually make him look like a credible threat, something he hasn't been with the exception of a few months over the past three years. Otherwise the only captivating thing about a Brock-Bray feud is how bad it will be and how quick will it take Lesnar to finish him off. It's a bad idea, and it be a bad idea whether Bray was Finn Balor's size or Braun Strowman's size.
    Wholeheartedly agreed. That is the other angle that people are missing here, that Wyatt is just such damaged goods, it is bewildering that anyone would suggest that he of all people should get one of Brock's most important matches, which are sparse to begin with. I actually think he will drag Matt Hardy down and derail his long-anticipated Broken Matt stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Plan View Post
    It's very hard as a long time proponent of the man to deny that his career seems to have reduced to a simmer. WWE clearly don't know what to do with the character. The way he's written is woeful. I worry now that being put with this Hardy gimmick - which is undeniably comical, regardless of how one might feel personally about its creative merits -could strike the wrong tone with Bray so completely that the character's rhetoric might never be able to be taken as threatening again. That's a problem for one built around fear and menace.
    Interested to take this a bit further, 'Plan. I know you weren't a fan of the TNA Broken stuff, but for me Monday was a great introduction to the character and also benefited Bray by contextualising him far more than he has been in the past 12/18 months. While I think Bray has possibly never lost his initial storyline of appearing when people are at their most weakened/damaged to capitalise - and even now, Matt sans Jeff is definitely Matt's weakest form - you now have a case where Bray has actually 'broken' someone's soul so much that it's completely changed their personality.

I think this could do good things for Bray, as long as he's not lake of reincarnationed into Husky Harris or pinned by a newborn baby.

its better than where he was headed. i mean just imagine them going thru with that Sister abigail crap. I don't think Bray is very good but he's still quite young so i think he can be salvaged if they do this feud right.. I'm not gonna say for certain that it will work, but i'm willing to give it a chance. I want every wrestler to succeed cause it makes the business better.

The Brain
    Bray Wyatt vs. Brock Lesnar right now would be laughed out of an arena these days because Bray has the credibility of a broken down GameBoy.
    Cult, you are a spectacular human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    While I think Bray has possibly never lost his initial storyline of appearing when people are at their most weakened/damaged to capitalise - and even now, Matt sans Jeff is definitely Matt's weakest form - you now have a case where Bray has actually 'broken' someone's soul so much that it's completely changed their personality.

I think this could do good things for Bray, as long as he's not lake of reincarnationed into Husky Harris or pinned by a newborn baby.
    It still bothers me that he "broke" Matt by... beating him in a normal match. Talk about low stakes.

If King Maxel doesn't pin someone in a WWE run, isn't this all a waste of time? I think Heath Slater would fit the role nicely. And now I desperately want a Heath Slater/Rockstar Spud interaction...

Squared
    Do you remember when people were saying that Bray could be this generation's equivalent of The Undertaker?! That ship seems to have well and truly sailed.

I guess the question is how long does Bray work with Matt, and can he get back to something approaching ME level once it's over?

@lopprimetime

is there any chance that we will ever see Bo Dallas and Bray team together and acknowledge who their father is?

An easy way to do this is to attempt to abandon the Bray Wyatt gimmick and make it out that he was brainwashed years ago, but he really Windham Rotunda. The WWE could have Mike Rotunda and Bo come out to try to save him from himself. It could breathe new life into Bray, and finally acknowledge a known secret.

Or turn that around and have Bray adopt Bo - who is now anchorless given that Miz has gone - and start a new brainwashing angle with that.

Squared
    Was anyone really calling out for them to address the fact that he's Irwin's kid anyway?

@lopprimetime

No, but it would make Bray into something again. Unless he goes over Hardy, but most likely he won't.

The Orton angle earlier this year killed Wyatt for good. He should have kept the title and ran with it, but WWE just did it so they could feed Wyatt to Orton, who doesn’t need the rub. SAD!

And the Mania match? Terrible

But I think that if they ran with who is really is, it could salvage him. He is a big guy, who can talk, and can wrestle, stuck in a gimmick.

The Brain
    A return to Husky Harris hardly seems like the solution. Despite so much horrible booking, he still seems to have a lot of fans in the role and I think he'd lose those if he was repackaged, and I just don't see him picking up that many more. Amazing how badly WWE has bungled this guy.

Not a return to Husky Harris, but a storyline where Bo is trying to get his brother back, and they call in Mike Rotunda, hell even Barry Windham as that is who he is named after. I think it could be interesting.

Squared
    It sounds to me like when Ken Shamrock called Undertaker 'Mark'.

@lopprimetime

Or when Piper called Hogan Terry.

The Brain
    I love Barry Windham and have a soft spot for Rotunda, but a US Express appearance in 2017 just holds no interest for me. It's not like either guy was much on the mic even on their best day. I just can't imagine getting interested in that segment. Bray Wyatt is a poorly handled character, but at least he's a character. Someone coming out and saying "we all know your real name is Windham Lawrence Rotunda!" sounds like something Russo would book.

Squared
    ^ this.

Anyway, the good news for Bray Wyatt is he's been making the news of late. The bad news is that it's just for having a custom belt.

@lopprimetime