Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball Discussion Thread

Reality Champ

NCAA Basketball Discussion Thread

Today is the official first day of the NCAA Basketball season. Some great games tonight, including UConn/Maryland, Oregon/Georgetown and Wisconsin/St. John's.

#BoycottRAW
    Ski-U-Mah, Rich Pitino.

StormDragonZ
    Well, no ranked teams are going to bomb in their first games as it looks.

However, Syracuse's comeback in the 2nd half is a sight to behold.

I love that ESPN has a Syracuse grad (Tirico) and an Indiana grad (Dakich) calling the Syracuse/Indiana game. They are already getting snippy with each other.

Tirico doesn't take a day off. MNF in Seattle last night and in Syracuse tonight.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 12-03-2013 at 08:43 PM.

jediknight
    North Carolina loses to Belmont and UAB, but beats Louisville and Michigan State. That's playing to your competition's level. At this point look for them to blow the doors off Duke.

Reality Champ
    Michigan State fans apparently have adopted the Daniel Bryan YES chant.

They've been doing it since the MSU/UofM football game.

http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=441793

can someone explain this to me, I don't understand how it works and what a person would have to do to actually win the money.

Reality Champ
    If you pick every single game correctly at the beginning of the tournament, all 67, you win that money. A scientist put the odds of it happening, if you have some knowledge of basketball, at 1 in 128 billion. It doesn't happen.

Reality Champ
    My boy Patrick Stevens is the only person in the country to get all 68 teams correct. Lunardi is a hack.

And at first glance, my Final Four is Florida, Arizona, Michigan State, Louisville. Debating between MSU and Villanova. Might take Villanova just for value since MSU has become an unbelievably trendy pick.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    Florida, Arizona, Wichita State and Virginia are your number one seeds heading into Tuesdays NCAA tournament.

After winning the Pac 12 tournament my UCLA Bruins are a four seed in the South.

What does everyone think of the top seeds and brackets?

#BoycottRAW
    Meh. Not doing a bracket for the third straight year. Long live the NBA.

StormDragonZ
    As one from Syracuse, I, and most likely I alone, expect them to win every game easily, winning the tournament against Wichita State in the finals.

The Hurra Duff
    My Final Four is Florida, MSU, Creighton and Louisville.

Florida over Louisville in the title game.

jediknight
    My Final Four is Florida, Michigan State, Oklahoma (I know complete homer pick), and Wichita State.

Michigan State over Wichita State in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hurra Duff View Post
    My Final Four is Florida, MSU, Creighton and Louisville.

Florida over Louisville in the title game.
    Same thing for me, actually, lol.

Although I'm a Duke fan (From Canada, lol, I know), but the Midwest looks brutal... I still can't believe they seeded Louisville as a 4...

The Hurra Duff
    To think one bracket has three of the four Final Four teams from last year, another team that made the Elite Eight last year, and has three of the past four National Champs all in one bracket.

jediknight
    I'm sorry Wichita State, but I changed my bracket to Louisville getting your spot.

The Hurra Duff
    Bruce Pearl is getting another shot at coaching Auburn hired him today.

StormDragonZ
    I really hope Harvard does well. If they upset Cincinnati, I got them as my Cinderella.

Congratulations Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on winning your play in game against Texas Southern. The school that’s only 30 minutes from where I live and has such alumni as many of my high school friends, my fifth grade teacher and Weird Al Yankovic had never been in the tournament before. I give them as much chance of winning their next game as I do a snowball surviving the day here on the central coast. But this win was nice.

StormDragonZ
    Goodbye Duke. Last year Florida Gulf Coast, now Mercer crushes Duke in the second round.

I doubt anyone will have a perfect bracket after tomorrow.

EDIT: Apparently, it was Lehigh, not FGCU.
    Last edited by StormDragonZ; 03-21-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by StormDragonZ View Post
    Goodbye Duke. Last year Florida Gulf Coast, now Mercer crushes Duke in the second round.

It was Lehigh two years ago....

Its always a great day when someone beats Duke. The upsets are my favorite part of every tournament.

I don't want to hear anymore about Jabari Parker going in the top three of the draft next year.

The Hurra Duff
    Quote Originally Posted by StormDragonZ View Post

Supposedly there's still 2,183 perfect brackets on ESPN's tourney challenge. Out of over 11 million.

Edit: Yahoo says 16 people still have a perfect bracket in Warren Buffett's Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge.
    Last edited by The Hurra Duff; 03-21-2014 at 06:26 PM.

gypsumstack
    I just checked out ESPN's bracket leaderboard. It shows 18 people tied for first with perfect brackets.

I'm amazed 16 people picked all the upsets so far. I know upsets happen every year, but anyone that makes it out of the first round perfect deserves at least ten grand.

Its a bad day to be a college basketball program in the state of Kansas. Both the Jayhawks and Shockers were knocked from the tournament today. It’s a good day for the Pac 12 though as Stanford won and UCLA is going to win.

I guess the fact that this thread has been inactive since last year’s tournament backs up my theory that people don’t care about college basketball until the tournament rolls around. We’ll its that time of year again so I thought that I’d bump up this thread so that we can talk about all of the exciting (hopefully) action and upsets.

Does anyone have the guts to pick against Kentucky winning the whole thing or are they going to run the table? Who do you have in your final 4? What big schools will be upset early in the tournament?

Let’s talk about it all.

#BoycottRAW
    College basketball sucks.

The only teams that can beat Kentucky to me are Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Virginia (I'd give Duke an outside chance, but I'm not as sold on them as others are). Beyond that, it'll take a miracle. Either way, I don't see Kentucky losing; they'll beat Iowa State in the National Championship.

My Final Four is: Kentucky, Wisconsin, Gonzaga and Northern Iowa (Fear the Mid Majors and their 5 seed is totally absurd).

Wisconsin over Kentucky (Screw Coach Cal)
    Gonzaga over UNI

Wisconsin beats Gonzaga in the title game.

So Iowa State was the first victim of an upset this tournament falling to #14 UAB in the opening round. Notre Dame just barely got by Northeastern and Baylor is in the middle of a very tight game with Georgia State. I guess it doesn't pay to be a three seed this year.

Another hr and a half before the Johnnies take on the Aztecs...you know where my loyalties lie. The loss of Obekpa to suspension will hurt though.
    Return of the Mack! Formerly (Lucha Extrema & LE.1)
    @Brooklyn_Ike on twitter

So I think WVU can come back from this..

So unless you are a Duke or Kentucky fan is it safe to assume that everyone else will be rooting for Wisconsin to win the championship tomorrow?

Fuck Duke natch but I also don't want to root for a team from the big ten, the La Brea Tar Pits of college sports. So go A's.
    Last edited by anotherhelix; 04-05-2015 at 03:15 PM.

A Nice Pile Of Secrets StormDragonZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox1981 View Post
    So unless you are a Duke or Kentucky fan is it safe to assume that everyone else will be rooting for Wisconsin to win the championship tomorrow?
    As a loyal Syracuse fan, I'm rooting for any North Carolina fans who show up.

I’d prefer it if Wisconsin won, but really I just want to see a good game.

I hate Coach K. I hate Duke. I hate Wisconsin. Can we have a never ending draw?