Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Miz

I’m not the biggest Lashley fan but I’d take him above most of the current main event.

C.M Punk is the other obvious choice, I’d say.

Squared
    Oh yeah, that's the one. I kinda discount it on plausibility grounds though.

Sucks for Miz but he'd miss out on that match, too. They have run it before I am pretty sure and for a big Wrestlemania return they'd have the good sense to put Punk with a new opponent.

Either that or Hunter, just cos.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-06-2017 at 06:49 PM.

I’d love to the point of laughing hysterically for Punk to come back and job to Hunter. It’d give me so much joy.

I’m still hoping Corbin loses his title. The Miz is above him.

The Brain
    Big fan of Lashley in his current run, from about 2014 to now. Dude has been a completely different beast in the ring, and even made huge improvements on the mic. There is some appeal to him coming in to bulldoze Miz, though it feels unlikely.

Squared
    He's another one that I just don't get. It should work, looking at him. But I just don't buy it, and there are very few people I'd take Lashley over anywhere on the roster never mind the main event. Probably someone who would have benefit massively from a manager. Huge upsides that are obvious and it's a shame that he's not made more of them, but he couldn't sell me water in the desert, I'm afraid.

Miz would bump like crazy for him though.

Literally went through every WWE, IC and US Champ looking for people under 50 who could come back and work with Miz. So far it's CM Punk, The Rock, Mysterio, Batista, RVD, ADR, John Morrison, Wade Barrett, Ezekiel Jackson, Ken Anderson, Jack Swagger.

There's been no really big match between Punk and Miz, though they have had a few RAW matches and one big in the WWECW days. No singles match that I can recall with The Rock. And the IC match with Mysterio was probably on the short side. But yeah, the pickings are slim.

For the sake of completeness I should point out that it also threw up these names:

Lance Storm, Matt Bloom, William Regal, Carlito, Santino, Ryback, MVP.

The Brain
    Pete, have you seen much of Lashley recently? I can't remember when your TNA watching cut off.

Man, if Regal came back to wrestle more I'd be seriously hyped. Probably best for him that he doesn't though. Man is he one guy who knows how to work smart though, his match with Cesaro a couple years back was a masterpiece.

I would actually possibly love a match between Rock and Miz, but it would never happen.

Squared
    I watched up until the end of 2016 so I caught plenty of Lashley in that time.

Completely with you on Regal.

With Austin older and crocked, and Hunter having shit the bed so many times, Rock is the only dream opponent left for a lot of people and the sad news for Miz is he'll always be too far down that list to get a realistic shot.

The Brain
    I have a sneaking suspicion the Rock may be fully retired at this point anyway, so the question may be moot. Still, I'd love to see it. I remember when Miz dressed up as him in the build to 'Mania 27 and always thought they should have had more of an issue between them. Miz worked his ass off in that feud but WWE just wasn't interested, poor guy.

Squared
    Wasn't it not long after that, he had all those motivation issues and started to look like absolute dead weight for a long time? Honestly, I was never a fan before that run, and when he went into it I was very much of the opinion that he was done, and would be gone before too much longer. Not sure I've ever been so wrong about wrestling since the days when I was young enough to think people in Japan actually gave a shit about Yokozuna.

The Brain
    I remember noticing a difference in Miz in 2012 and drifting away from him to some degree as a fan. He was still doing really well through all of 2011 I thought, despite being given some insanely bad crap to work with. His I Quit match with Cena remains one of the freakin' stupidest WWE main events of all time with the terrible way it was booked, and then he was used exclusively as a tool to get Alex fucking Riley over for a while after that. I remember his reactions were still very strong during Summer of Punk, as he had a lot of heat going into the finals of the WWE tournament with Mysterio (the on that Cena suddenly showed up and won), and he was putting in a lot of effort at least through December of that year because I remember he was very good in that triple threat ladder match with Punk and Del Rio at TLC, but by then the writing seemed to be on the wall that WWE was writing him off and he started dipping down.

took him about two years to recover cause i've been watching every PPV on the network, and course i've seen everything post 2010 but its just a rewatch thing and you see how Miz is in main events, in those 2010 - 2011 years, The Miz/R truth thing to set up the Rock tag match... then he turns face and its awful by 2014 he gets the moneymaker gimmick and Gets Sandow over to such a degree that people (me included) think Sandow can be something... After that, i think he fell off until the IC title run and the Bryan bickering.. been mainstay ever since.

The Brain
    That's true, that Sandow stuff was a real bright spot in that period. I still think Sandow had something if he stuck to gimmicky stuff, but yeah he wasn't too good when he was put out there in TNA as just another wrestler without anything to hang his hat on.

I honestly forgot all about the Rock & Cena tag stuff. Awesome Truth was hot for a quick second but that killed them dead, I still remember Cena handing both Miz and Truth their ass repeatedly and then for some reason asking the Rock for help, because reasons. Made Miz and Truth look like stupid jokes, which of course is why Survivor Series didn't really draw that year despite Rock coming back. Miz ate most of the heat for that if I remember, which is another reason he got majorly depushed and seemingly lost his drive for a while.

Squared
    With Sandow,I wonder how much was there being no character beyond 'Impact is where I can do it for the fans!' Lots of people came in and were asked to run with the same shtick. I still think he had something, for sure.

So there was another year or so before Miz fully went off the boil then? Yeah, can see that. Totally get why he'd have felt unmotivated, too.

The Brain
    Exactly, my complaint with Sandow was NEVER that he was "held back" by a gimmick, it's that when his gimmicks got super over WWE never capitalized on it. Removing all traces of a gimmick was so incredibly the wrong move. He was possibly getting back onto something with his "flamboyant" gimmick at the start of 2017, but it got scrapped when Anthem and Jarrett took over so we'll never know.

Yeah, I always thought Miz's de-motivation was understandable given his circumstances, though I still wish it wouldn't have happened in the first place. So glad he's rebuilt his reputation, he's honestly a pretty inspiring story, first overcoming the stigma of being a "reality TV guy" to main eventing 'Mania, then coming back again from years of bad booking to be one of the hottest guys in the company.

Squared
    Thinking about the future, he now has the two longest IC title reigns since Big E in 2013. How long do we think this runs for? Any value in taking the title off him before Wrestlemania?

The Brain
    Almost want them to go full Honky Tonk, because honestly, who the hell is out there that would do better with it?

Squared
    I tell you what. I would totally get behind Miz and the Universal champ, title for title, in a major main event. Summerslam perhaps - or a cheeky Miztourage interference to give him a Rumble win and have it at Mania?!

The Brain
    A Miz Rumble win would blow my mind but I would love it. Maybe if AJ keeps the belt? It feels unlikely but it would interest the hell out of me!

Squared
    Given that everyone and their mother expects a Roman or Cena win, there's no good reason not to pull a fast one. And Miz is one of the best placed heels to work it with. With his lackeys you could totally revisit the 2009, Legacy Rumble.

There's no value for me in just giving people what they already expect to happen. Miz stealing a Rumble win would make a lot of people who think that they have the product sussed out sit up and take note.

The Brain
    That's so true, the huge bummer of the last several Rumbles is the incredibly predictable winner, especially when it's often been someone people aren't that interested in. Even if it's not Miz, some kind of unexpected winner would do a lot to revitalize my interest.

Squared
    Agreed. The main advantage of Miz is that the lackeys allow you to protect your top guys a little more. Perhaps that is less shocking, in a way, than having someone like Shinsuke, Roode, or whoever winning it cleanly, but it does seem more in keeping with their model.

I can see a lot of value in The Miztourage, Roman and Cena being the last five. Everyone and their mother thinks it's coming down to Cena and Roman, and then bang! one of them is out. Ditch out the Miztourage, who come back in and help Miz throw out the babyface. Totally works for me.

The Brain
    I'd be over the moon, frankly. Though that is pretty Raw heavy, something like that would be potentially excellent. Or they could even do the old bit where everyone forgets about someone while he's lying out on the floor, except this time when Miz re-enters he actually succeeds and throws out Cena last or something.

Squared
    That spot works with almost anyone, too. You don't need the lackeys for that one so you could work a Smackdown star into it, though the only heel with a big enough profile to make it feel remotely normal is Owens. All the other options would feel out of left field, though I guess you could use it as the catalyst for a Bobby Roode turn.

I would really, really, like for the Miz to get another run with a top title. Either brand (most likely Smackdown as I do not think anyone can see the Miz beating Lesnar or Strowman). He has earned it.

Squared
    Well he's only 37 and in the form of his life. It may not happen right this minute but I wouldn't bet against him finishing as a three or four time world champ. Generally speaking his style is pretty sensible, too, and I don't think he's going to struggle for enthusiasm. Could have 3-5 years left in him with a bit of luck, and if he fancies it, I don't see why he couldn't go beyond that as a humble midcarder.

I still think he never really recovered from his concussion in that Cena main event at WM27 and it's taken him that long to shake the after effects until the last couple of years. I mean, the guy got knocked out cold by impacting the concrete, doesn't even remember the end of the match, then turned up the next day to keep working even in a promo, and was back wrestling within 10 days on house shows. Would be interested to get a comment from him on that, all I can find is him confirming the concussion and the lack of memory but nothing about any after effects. Concussion effects don't exactly just disappear overnight, in most cases without the proper rest they just get progressively worse. It's not like he's had a bunch of time off with another injury over the years because he's only ever been injured in storyline - I think specifically once when Orton took him out? - so probably never really had downtime.

I'm just speculating, mind you.

As for his future, I would think he might have even more than you think, Prime - he works such a 'safe' style that I would be surprised to see him have nearly another decade of wrestling in him at his current level. Whether he can maintain the general fitness come 45-47 or not I don't know, but there's certainly no reason why he can't go that long in my opinion.

And in terms of the IC title - he's currently 100 days (give or take) away from being the longest combined IC champion in history. He will likely pass Don Muraco (23 days ahead on 541 days total) before his next major title defence unless they switch it on a Raw or something, so that would leave only Pedro Morales (619 days total) ahead of him. Given how obsessed WWE is with breaking records right now, and that the 100 day marker would be before Mania next year, would you bet against him becoming the longest combined IC champion in history in 2018?

But yeah, 100% the guy deserves a chance to run with the top title for a bit.

The Brain
    That's a really interesting point about the concussion. I do think it had a real effect on him, maybe not immediately but over time he seemed to get a lot more tentative about certain things. Could have taken him a few years to shake that off.

As far as downtime goes, he's taken off a few times to film movies but yeah, very little aside from that. Dude has gone practically nonstop since mid 2005.

Miz will probably work the company the rest of his life tbh.. He'll wrestle full time a few more years, maybe become a manger, i think Triple H likes managers and will be in charge then and then Miz retires and becomes the color guy.

Squared
    I imagine that there'll be some new young thing for the spot when Miz is 45, but yeah, could see him still being physically able to do it. If he makes the main event again then that's going to prolong his spot, you'd have to think.

Miz probably has some sort of job for as long as he wants. Failing anything else he could be a useful presence backstage: advice for the newbies on how he went from a joke to a star.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Thinking about the future, he now has the two longest IC title reigns since Big E in 2013. How long do we think this runs for? Any value in taking the title off him before Wrestlemania?
    Or apparently, you can just shift it to Roman on a random Monday night. Great.

Shameful, to be honest. Not like Roman needs it.

I love The Shield but this was really un-needed.

Miz is the first person to get Roman any sort of cheers in the last couple of years.

Survivor Series Biggest Winners and Losers

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

Miz is filming a movie and will be away so they felt he had to lose the title. don't understand why he couldn't just work Mondays and the random Sunday.. its a WWE produced movie if i'm not mistaken.

Squared
    If that's the logic, you've come up with the solution in the space of one post and it's a shit house decision.

Not only that, but the last thing they need is someone taking time off. Raw's roster is beyond stale at this point and you need a miz to help build up someone.. Just because of who Roman is, that's not really going to help. He cant get people behind his opponent on the mic.

How many Marine movies does the world need?

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    I need more Marine movies!!

Has Vince McMahon Lost Confidence in Roman Reigns.

They've definitely done that thing with someone filming a film in the past, too.

Maybe they're just seeing it as a good time to give him time off, though. With Maryse up the duff as well you've got to think he'd want to be spending time with her.

its just odd timing to me. I don't care he lost the title but you can't just replace a Miz, there's no one to fill his role.. i guess it doesn't matter cause he'll be back before the rumble.

Raw tv is going to be ROUGH though. There's no fresh matchups anywhere, i have total apathy for every current feud.

Squared
    I mean give him time off, but you could literally have him work one day in 30 for his mandatory IC defence and you've fulfilled all the kayfabe responsibilities. If you ignore that you can record some interviews in an afternoon and keep him in the Rye. Either way he was worth working around, no?