Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Miz

Goldberg Rules!
    Randy Orton.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    Randy Orton.
    Lies. Sexual harassment and creepiness is not unique.

Your mom.

I just got through saying that I was simply replying to someone else saying that he DOES have unique moves. I'm not bitching. I got several more legit reasons to hate Miz.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

A Professional Sort Of
    I hate the Miz because he was at one time the most must see WWE superstar in WWE history.

Or whatever crazy conspiracy spouting diatribe he has this week.

Reality Champ
    Nono, Truth was the conspiracy theorist. You're just confusing them cause they look so much alike.

A Professional Sort Of
    I thought the Miz was the one hates the little jimmies...

I really...

really...

really...

really thought it was him. Hmm, my bad. At least both of them can rap.

Which just further solidifies my belief that the Survivor Series '11 main event should have been a duet sing-off.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Goldberg Rules!
    Fuck PG, fuck the law, just once I want to see a firearm threat in my wrestling. No shots fired obviously, but show the weapon.

Or not. You know, family friendly.

A Professional Sort Of
    The Rock with an acoustic guitar and Cena singing rap... it would be a mesh of Country and Rap never seen since Ray Charles minus the seeing.

The Cool No. 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    Moves? Jericho was using the "Skull Crushing Finale" during the Attitude Era. Attire? Not sure if you're talking about the trunks or the kickpads, as that's about all there is. If anyone wanted to push the issue I'd concede on the charisma part, but that's it.
    Dude. how about the low DDT? How about the Clothesline in the corner? C'mon.

Last edited by The Cool No. 9; 11-20-2013 at 12:47 PM.

The Brain
    Yes! Finally! It's morning again in America people. I don't care if you love the Miz or hate the Miz, but I think almost everyone can agree a change is an improvement from that painful face run. Let's just never try that again, 'k WWE?

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    The last week or so it looks like the WWE might be abandoning what we thought was a recent heel turn by The Miz. Pairing him with Foley Claus on Main Event and then defending Christmas once more again in a match with Damien Sandow on Smackdown last night. Then again there is also the possibility that this could be a temporary move because of the time of year and the fact that he has a Christmas movie out they want to sell. So perhaps it will be business as usual when the calendar changes over to the New Year. Or there is always the possibility that they have no clue at the moment what they want to do with him.

What do you think the case is?

The Brain
    They don't seem to have any damn idea. First he turns heel on Kofi, then oh wait maybe not maybe Kofi is the heel, then they both act like tweeners and Miz is both insulting the crowd and playing nice with the guest hosts, and now this... dammit, just let the man be the obnoxious twat he was born to be.

The Cool No. 9
    That duster jacket he comes out in is kinda unique too.

It looks like he's beginning his comeback, from what we saw of him on Raw briefly interrupting Cole, JBL and King.

Squared
    I've got to say, I was never a fan of The Miz at all. Hated him for years, but in a real X-Pac heat kind of way, y'know. But I must say, since the brand split I think he's been fantastic. Seems like he's trying so much less obviously but still gets you to hate him, and I think the stuff he did with Ziggler last year was probably my favourite work the WWE have put out on their main shows in quite some time. He's also been a pretty strong presence on RAW since moving across and is one of the few guys now who can make something entertaining out of not great material.

And best of all, you still hate him. So credit where it's due, he's made me do a complete 180.

The Brain
    I think one of the Miz's greatest strengths is his ability to get people to change their minds about him. He did it with a lot of people when he first became a big deal after being dismissed out of hand as a washed up reality TV star, and now he's done it again after he was dismissed all over again as being a flash in the pan success. Good for him, and I'd still rather watch him than 99% of the people in WWE.

Squared
    I don't know if I've changed my mind on his earlier stuff, and I still think it always screamed trying so hard I can't buy it. But I do admire that he seems to have a remarkable work ethic and seems determined to just keep getting better. What's more, he seems to be almost ageless. You could see him going into well into his 40s at this rate.

The Brain
    Oh absolutely, he's a safe and, for my money, very smart worker who gets a lot out of a situation without breaking his neck to do so, and he's got the gift of the gab so even when he scales back on wrestling he could be an ideal commentator or non-wrestling figure. I'm really hoping he gets another world title reign somewhere along the line. Could see him as a possible Jericho type figure, getting infrequent title runs whenever he gets hot enough to sustain it for a while.

Squared
    At this point I'd say it's a matter of time until he gets given a world title tilt. I mean, look at the summer and he's getting some of the most consistent heel reactions. Be interesting to see if he was put with someone like Reigns, if that would actually do the trick. I get the feeling he could turn polio babyface.

The Brain
    That is a spectacular quote, and a great idea to boot. I'd definitely be interested to see how that one shook out in terms of crowd reaction. Is it crazy though that I feel like Miz might start getting honest to god face pops? People are just so opposed to Roman.

People are cheering for the Miz. Every MizTV segment has the crowd singing along. Miz got the reactions when he confronted Cena and Roman on Cena's RAW redebut after SummerSlam. Miz even got Curtis Axel a chant last night and applauded the audience for doing so.

Miz has paid his dues and now has gained the respect from the WWE Universe and they are showing their appreciation for him. I don't think that Miz will be or should be a face again, but he will get face pops if/when he faces Reigns one on one without the Shield.

Squared
    This is the problem with being so far behind, that you don't know how this stuff is playing out in real-time. I'm earlier in the summer and he's getting mega-heat.

I was going to say, though, that even if he was still getting real hate, there is a section of the crowd so contrarian that they'd cheer anyone over Roman. I'm not in that group myself, but I won't cheer Reigns. Probably just go quiet.

But unless Miz's act is very different from the summer... man, anyone cheering that I just don't get. I understand appreciating the commitment and all but I just want to shout out that it's doing wrestling wrong to cheer that. No wonder everything is meaningless now.

The Brain
    Well, I think WWE's partly to blame for that as well. They spent so much time encouraging the fans to just do whatever they want during the long Cena push, that now fans can't really unlearn that. You tell enough half assed stories and it's no wonder wrestling fans just prefer to cheer guys they think are talented nowadays. I always boo the heels when I go live, but I understand why people don't.

Squared
    That's so true. I mean, it was happening before Cena to a degree and I think you've got to look to the effect of ECW for a lot of that, but the fact of the matter is that it got a lot worse when the WWE threw their hands up with Cena. They've made the problem for themselves. The only way out of it is to actually book your way out of it by telling the story well enough that you get people onside, but to be honest as long as the cash keeps coming in I don't think they particularly care enough about working that hard on it. And it would be very hard work now.

You're always going to have contrarians. Some people used to cheer Flair over Steamboat, y'know? But the minute they decided that this was just how it is and stopped working towards genuinely compelling babyfaces, it effectively meant the end of stories that actually mean anything.

Can we just do Miz vs Lesnar for the title once before Brock sails off into the sunset? Just once?

I want to see Bo Dallas sell an F5.

The Brain
    I remember when Lesnar thew that office chair at poor Miz. Feels like there was a period when he was getting his ass kicked constantly. Remember the Cesaro feud? That was super fun but Miz took some crazy beatings in that one. Is it weird to say that Miz could probably get more out of Lesnar than most at this point? I just think he'd be able to make the beating really count and get the crowd invested, even if it was more stupid German suplexes.

Also, 100% cosign that ECW did lots to encourage the trend that grew into what we've got now in terms of fans. Though it predates even that, I watched Philly cheer the completely shit version of the Freebirds when they were heels just for shits and giggles as early as '89. Maybe we should just blame Philadelphia in general.

Squared
    Oh yeah, there's always been an element of people supporting the heels, especially in certain crowds. Just listen to the stories of the number of women that Ric Flair and Stan Lane used to get in the 1980s and it gives you some idea. They got their fair share but not everyone was hanging around outside the locker room of the Rock n' Roll Express. But I think what ECW did, and what the WWE's failure to ingrain some kind of firmer moral order in their storytelling, is that it's basically given everyone a free hand and so the tendency has grown. What used to be a minority view seems to be a badge of honour for some fans now, and that'd be fine if it wasn't toxic.

The Brain
    Agreed. I was watching some ROH recently and in every single match, the crowd chanted for both guys. Fans can do what they want I guess but it was very annoying.

Anyway, anyone have thoughts on what the Miz does for 'Mania? He's had another good year as far as I can tell. Last year he had the Cena match, which was kind of a big deal even though it ended up being more about Cena and his wife (did they ever actually get married?). I would hope they have something good for him, though nothing comes to mind off the top of my head.

Squared
    I dunno. I mean, he's running into the problems of being around so long now. Had a good few matches with Ambrose, Ziggler, AJ Styles, Cena and Orton, so there's no real upside in any of those options. They've thrown away Reigns of late - if they'd kept their powder dry that would have been an option though clearly more of a post-Wrestlemania one.

Of the realistic options, he's never gone 1 on 1 with Seth Rollins as far as I know. That might be dependent on what happens more widely with The Shield but as a straight singles it's probably the best you could hope for.

Other than that - Finn Balor has only had one TV match with him, I think? Shinsuke could be in the mix if one of them switched shows. Similarly, if Bobby Roode stays face that's a possibility, though it might be seen as not really a high profile thing for Miz given that Roode's been on the main roster for a cup of coffee.

The Brain
    Dammit, none of those matches really grab me. This is the issue with the WWE main roster, so many talented guys but it's hard to muster excitement because so many of these feuds look the same. If anyone can find a reason to make me care though, it's Miz!

Squared
    It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him to work with someone outside that orbit, to try and make a new star. I don't know who that'd be but a big moment for a youngster who could go on to be a champion could be a career defining moment itself, in a different way. Kinda the way Goldust and Ahmed Johnson would have been if Ahmed hadn't turned out to be a tool.

Isn't that what they tried with Jordan and pretty much failed at, though?

Give him Breeze to make. I'd like to see those two go at it.

The Brain
    Who the hell is the face in that feud though?

Squared
    I would say Breeze but people seem to like them both, so who knows? But yeah, Tyler seems the more natural babyface. Channel his fashion police stuff and you've a fun babyface. The challenge would be if he could be serious enough for the match to 'make' him.

I would say give Miz singles match with Angle because he can work Angle safely for 10 minutes but they already blew their load for that. I'm sure Miz will be on the show but i don't know any big matches he could have.

Squared
    Ugh. I mean, yeah, it's a big match and I did overlook that one. But man, no interest in seeing Angle wrestle again at all, even less than I have with 'Taker which says a lot. Though something big for 'Mania is inevitable so yeah, why not Miz.

The Brain
    As far as Angle options go, "No One" will always be at the top of my list at this point, but yeah I guess if it must be someone Miz is one of the better choices.

Although it'll probably mean he taps out in about 7 minutes.

Or 7 minutes of action stretched over 25 minutes of ring time.

Squared
    Is there any return that you could imagine that might be more inspiring? Struggling to think of one. The failure to make stars between after the class of 2002 coming home to roost. This is the first generation really cursed by the fact that there isn't that background to draw on.

Right now, Bobby Lashley. Hot on TNA and would instantly be over as he’ll be remembered. Cody Rhodes these days would be good too.

Squared
    Hmm. I don't like Lashley so am biased there. I guess it'd apply though. Can see it working.

Big Cody fan. Only concern is if he has been away long enough for it as a Mania programme. Down the line though, sign me up.