Thread: Alberto El Patron (formerly Del Rio)

Super Moderator

Alberto El Patron (formerly Del Rio)

He's the reigning, defending, WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

Talk about him here.

The Brain
    Is it bad that I still don't care about this guy? His matches are generally good and he's been less overexposed lately, so he's at least more tolerable. I still find myself skipping through all his promos and non-PPV matches though. Dude just doesn't seem to resonate with most fans as a face or heel. After working at it 3 years int he company, what are the odds he ever manages to put all the pieces together and actually get enough heat to justify his position? Or is the WHC so low at this point that it's come down to meet him? Not sure, but I miss the days when the belt was treated like it was worth a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    He's the reigning, defending, WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

Talk about him here.
    Why? Is he finally doing something good like leaving the company?

But seriously, in a repost from the Live RAW Discussion thread:

When Cody gets "rehired" he will be a big enough face to go after ADRs title [after RVD loses and goes on hiatus]. I could see HHH granting Cody a title shot against ADR, then screwing Cody out of the title in the exact same manner as he did with DB by having Sandow immediately cashing in against Cody.

Then it would hopefully all roads would lead into WM where Daniel Bryan finally wins the WWE title (for real) and gets his WM moment and Cody Rhodes in the exact same situation.
    Last edited by Powder; 09-25-2013 at 06:59 PM.

MRB
    Del Rio is terrible at working body language. His body language screams insecure when he tries to go for arrogant. Look at his hunched over shoulders while he's trying to taunt the audience. The constipated look on his face isn't helping either.

I know he's tall and everything, but he should be doing the chicken-shit heel everyone else does. At least then he might get boos that aren't canned.

The Brain
    I'm not a fan of every heel being chickenshit, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing for ADR to try. God knows the "rich guy" gimmick lends itself well to that mentality, and even though Del Rio is the kind of wrestler who comes off as capable enough to evenly match with most opponents the man does need something. He's less intolerable now than he used to be but he's still missing a hefty dose of crowd reaction to justify his high position.

What's really interesting to me about ADR right now is that, at least in the eyes of many wrestling bloggers, critics, and podcasters, Del Rio has been delivering in terms of his in-ring work, more now than ever before. I've even heard some people call him the most underrated talent on the roster.

A win over Cena would obviously further establish his talents, but I'm not convinced it would get him any more over. The guy could continue to put on 4-star matches for the rest of his career, but I think there's always going to be a general feeling that there is a "missing piece" to him as a performer - the same knock that people often apply to Edge and even Triple H.

My next question is - if he does lose to Cena, where do you go with him? At that point, I'd almost say they'd need to move him over to the Corporation storyline (maybe as Triple H's handpicked replacement for Orton because the Viper "couldn't get the job done"?) because anything less would be a demotion from the upper midcard back to the midcard (if you think ADR is a main eventer, you obviously have more respect for the World Heavyweight Championship than the writers do).

The Brain
    I've long thought an honest to god stint in the midcard would do good things for the Del Rio character. The more feuds he has that aren't centered around a title, the better his general character can develop and the more they can try to repair the total disconnect most fans feel with the guy, regardless of his average match quality.

Of course WWE would need to tell a real story with him, not just have him randomly have a beef with another midcarder. But honestly, a trip around the block without holding or chasing a title could be a very good thing.

Del Rio's in ring work was never the problem. It is the rest of him that is. From his rediculously stupid grin, to his lack of ability to cut a promo that does not bore the shit out of everyone, to his complete lack of charisma, to calling everyone a perro (dog in spanish). The only reason ADR is still on the roster, is because he is Mexican and truly over with that demographic. The WWE is soon to be touring Mexico again, and he is the poster boy for the WWE south of the border.

If the 'E was not interested in the Mexican fans, and they had a healthy Rey Mysterio, then ADR would have been "future endeavored" a long, long time ago.

Face it, ADR is a two time WHC, a two time WWE champ, a MITB winner, and a Royal Rumble winner and one could successfully argue that his WWE career has been a complete failure. He is one of the few performers in recent history (last 10 years or so) to have that many accolades and STILL NOT BE OVER WITH THE CROWD! Or be successful at connecting on any level with the audience.

Yes, ADR can wrestle, but in today's WWE, that is unfortunately the last thing necessary to be over.

Example:

On screen character Santino, can't wrestle, but over with crowd.
    (Santino can wrestle as we know, but the WWE never allows us to see it)

Ziggler, over with the crowd, can wrestle with anyone, can't get above midcard.

Curtis Axle - Can wrestle, has just as much personality and charisma as ADR, can't get over, even with Heyman

Antonio Cesaro - can wrestle, amazing strength, crowd reacts to him positively, can't cut a promo.

Swagger - can wrestle, can't do much else

Kofi - can wrestle, has charisma, can connect with the crowd, can't or will not be allowed to cut a promo, will never get above midcard

ADR - should be cut. Seriously. Just have him drop the WHC, then fire his ass, and send him back under the mask, and on to Mexico. Get rid of this useless waste of airtime.
    Last edited by Powder; 10-12-2013 at 09:08 PM.

The Brain
    I never quite got that argument to be honest, I remember when they had Raw from Mexico City and I didn't think the reaction was all that good for him there either. Granted he was a heel at the time, but still...

I'll grant that he was pretty over in Florida when he won the WHC the first time, but on the whole I'm not sure how well the argument holds.

Wasn't that 2011 Mexico tour which derailed Punk's momentum, a failure? I doubt if he is really over with the Mexican crowd.

Then if he is not over with even his "home fan base" of Mexico, then why is it that this completely awful performer still has a job? There are others on the roster that could be in his exact position and do a much better job. i.e. Ziggler, Cody, Cesaro (with Colter), Kofi if allowed to speak and aheel turn would do him wonders, even the Miz.

Dario
    Alberto Del Rio is not absolutely useless, but I think he doesn't deserve to be in this position that he currently is right now. His reactions show that people hardly give a shit about him. Put the title on him 10 more times, have him "re-injure" Cena, give him an undefeated streak, it's not gonna work. It's not gonna help the guy get over.

Have him drop the title and start from the bottom. If he still couldn't connect with the fans the way a multiple time World champion should, then completely give up on him. ADR is by far the least interesting guy on the roster.

EDIT: And I'm just gonna leave this here.

Last edited by Dario; 10-13-2013 at 01:27 PM.

^that is my new favorite wrestling related tweet

There's a rumor spreading that Del Rio may be leaving the WWE once his contract expires, though, I'm not sure when that is.

While I wouldn't call him a total flop like Sin Cara, I think its really hard to point to a single time when Del Rio was ever the top heel or the top baby face in the company. When he cashed in his briefcase on CM Punk, most of the heat seemed to go towards Laurenaitis and Triple H (also Mark Henry was on a bit of a tear at that time too) and even if that was Del Rio's "peak," it's not like he was really buzzing.

If you look before that, to when Del Rio won the Rumble, for example, again we're looking at him resting in the maybe no. 3 spot as the most over heel on the roster (well behind The Miz and Punk at the time, but not THAT much more over "Dashing" Cody Rhodes).

The less said about his babyface run the better and while his feud with Ziggler was good, it's important to remember that they had to double-turn the guys because Ziggler was getting much bigger face pops than Del Rio (even though the WWE had been pushing Del Rio HARD as a babyface for months).

Personally, I've never been a fan of Del Rio, but I do think his gimmick stunk from the get-go (it's been done before too well) and McMahon force-feeding him down our throats kept him from connecting with a large part of the IWC, who could have championed his workrate, for example, but never did because it's hard to say "Hey, look at this underutilized/misused talent" when said talent is being pushed over guys that ARE actually being underutilized/misused.

If he leaves, I hope its only for 6-8 months so that he can come back and maybe come in with some sort of new spin on the character (or a new character altogether) that makes sense in today's climate.

Please be true. Please be true!

KingofKings
    Agreed with pretty much everything stated above. Del Rio has had some good matches but ultimately I find him to be boring more often than not. If he leaves, he leaves.

Also, wasn't it reported a while back that he was contemplating retiring soon anyways? So if he leaves, it's doubtful he comes back.

Oliver
    Del Rio had a fabulous year in the ring last year, so he'd be a loss to that side of the product. The trouble is, he's like a midcarder at the moment - he can put on good matches, but he's got no personality, or character. I mean, he's not even a Mexican aristocrat anymore - he's just a guy. Batista mixing it up with him feels hilariously one-sided because of the fact that he's not, nor as he ever, been an A+ player.

They should stick him in a feud with Big E for the IC title or something.

This should be moved but word is, Del Rio will be debuting for RoH next year.

He also won the Heavyweight title in AAA.

He also worked the Keiji Muto 30th Anniversary show and is Freelance in Japan.

Alberto Del Rio

Very surprised that Mr. Tequila didn't already have a thread, so....

From the main page:

As seen on last night's WWE SmackDown, Zeb Colter and United States Champion Alberto Del Rio cut promos on Mex-America, saying the US Title is a divisive name as it should represent the people of America and Mexico. Zeb declared the title will represent all of Mex-America and Del Rio announced that the title will now be called the Mex-America Championship.
    Admittedly I didn't watch Smackdown, but I do read the spoilers and catch up by the main page reports. But with this tid bit of information, this only confirms that the WWE has no idea how to win the Mexican market.

The WWE really thinks that by having Mr. Tequila align with his arch nemesis, the staunch republican, Zeb Colter to represent "Mex-Amercia", then win the US Title from Cena and then decide to call the title the "Mex-American Title" is going to make the Mexican people or Hispanics tune in, they are f@#king out of their minds.

If they wanted to win the Mexican market, have Mr. Tequila be a strong dominant heel in the same style as the Hart Foundation from the mid to late 90s. The Hart foundation were complete heels in America, but treated like GODS in Canada. This would have been such as easy blueprint. Have Tequila return and win the Title from Cena all on his own. Then on RAW come out and say that he is tired of all the stereotyping of the Mexican/Hispanic wrestlers. He came back for one reason, and one reason only. To prove that he is equal, no better than all of you. He can talk about his lineage, his Mexican background, and even get a stable with an unmasked Matadores. He could have been a combination of the Pro-Canadian Hart Foundation and the Straight Edge Society.

Tequila doesn't need Colter, and he doesn't need this ridiculously stupid Mex-America gimmick.
    Last edited by Powder; 10-31-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Yeah there has been a shit show somewhere along the course of what they've done with Del Rio thus far. I would have never paired him with Zeb. Never. Unnecessary.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    Maybe they are secretly burying Del Rio. Like Someone who still hates Del Rio gave this idea to Vince who thought it was great, but in reality everyone else knew it sucked.

I think they just don't know how to use him. And let's be real, they never quite have after he first got hot as a heel on Smackdown. He had momentum then, only for WWE to try and repeatedly hotshot him to the top, and after that was rejected he just never recovered.

I guess I'm not really sure what either side expected here. Was WWE really thinking they would suddenly be able to do a better job with him when they had no track record of it and are having enough trouble booking their own talent right now? Did Del Rio really expect he was going to be treated like a king the same way he was down in Mexico? In the end, I think this will turn out to be a bad decision for both unless something quickly changes. Otherwise, Del Rio just left a place where he was worshiped to feud with Jack Swagger (again) and put over Cena (again), all while WWE pays him a pretty big sum to not do anything that different from his first run. This really seems to be a case where money (for both sides) was a bigger deal than fit.

Del Rio is in it for long term financial security. There is a lot of money to be made off legends deal, and documentaries, and maybe a stint on the Spanish Announce table like Tito Santana did years ago. Plus I think booking his own dates was confusing Del Rio as he missed a few dates, which even he admitted made him look unprofessional. So having everything under one company, which long term financial security seems to be what Del Rio is truly looking for. Everything else is just getting in the way of his longer term goals.

That's fine; I won't blame someone for getting as much money as they can. But he also better be prepared for a career that probably won't be as fulfilling as it was. You and I both know LWO that the guy was quickly becoming a legend in Mexico. To leave and go back to a place that has never used you well and is now putting you in the same position you were in before? The money may be good, but I can't imagine he's feeling creatively fulfilled.

Oh, he was about to reach levels only his uncle and those guys in your sig have reached. Them a little higher than was possible for Del Rio. But still.

I like where Del Rio is now feuding with Swagger for the US title- its a nice one on one feud they matchup well and we'll get good matches out of it, revisiting the 2013 WM29 feud. But I just dont like Zeb with him and it looks as though MexAmerica has been scrapped altogether at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    Maybe they are secretly burying Del Rio. Like Someone who still hates Del Rio gave this idea to Vince who thought it was great, but in reality everyone else knew it sucked.
    Vince sadly never listens to me.

This dude is the most overrated underrated wrestler of all time, right? I mean, how can one guy suck so much but be so good that everyone trips over themselves to have him as part of their company?

Squared
    I actually don't get the guy. Not without talent in the ring. Not the worst on the microphone. And yet somehow he manages to suck the life from every situation he is involved with. Genuinely a black hole of charisma, who even manages to make other people less interesting.

They made a big deal out of his return at BFG and apparently he's already back in the title mix at the Impact tapings. Crazy.

The Brain
    Yeah, that's pretty crazy. Even though the domestic abuse investigation cleared him (technically, though it still puts him in a pretty bad light), it's insane to me that Impact would keep using the guy in a prominent role. The guy brings no buzz besides bad publicity, and even if he is a fine hand in the ring (again, technically), he really does make everything seem worse around him. Him coming in and winning the title on his first night was an enormous part of me completely giving up on the Anthem/Jarrett era the same day it started.

Squared
    Bloody hell, can't believe I've just read that Alberto has his own trailer/locker room written into his Impact contract. That was a bit of a dick play when you were Hulk Hogan, it's just fucking ludicrous for this prick.

Squared
    In the name of being more balanced than my last post, just checking out an Impact show and it kicked off with an El Patron promo that is better than I'd expect from the man. Sort of saw what the fuss was about for a moment there.

@lopprimetime