Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paige

deprice659

Paige

My vote is to move up Paige and set up a Mania match with her and A.J. The Bellas feud is getting beyond played out. I guess the other option is Tamina but the Divas need some new blood and there are a few capable divas in NXT that would be a good foil for A.J.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    I am thinking that if there is a Diva’s Championship match at WrestleMania this year it will be AJ vs. Tamina. After all the set up of a number two going after the boss/leader is one of the oldest storylines in the book. If the match was to happen I’d be fine with it, but if they want to bring up another women to the main roster I’d be fine with that as well. Although slightly less excited. They’d just better do it soon so that the audience can become familiar with her and they can build a proper angle.
    Last edited by lunchbox1981; 01-09-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    I really want a storyline between the heels divas v the total divas v the nxt divas with a triple-threat lumberjill match at Mania. Paige being hurt may not help tho...

If AJ retains her title in this apparent multi Diva match which I am assuming will be against Natalya and Nikki Bella, she would've pretty much beaten every babyface there is to beat (excluding Emma since she just debuted). Unless Summer represents Total Divas and challenges for it, it's pretty much good enough reason to call up Paige with her kickass music.

The division has been a major talking point over on the live feeds, though I thought we should move some of the talking points here...

Paige
    Personally, I think her inexperience has been made pretty clear and the booking behind her has been ass backwards.

I've criticized her for moaning/screaming too much and, at Battleground, it was even worse when she was crying out "C'mon AJ!" for no reason. Her incessant moaning, like what Foley and Jericho have also been criticized for, really keeps me from enjoying her matches at times. As "nit-picky" as this seems, an agent really needs to get on her for it because it is just too much.

Second, and this is again a product of inexperience, her "character work" is lacking. What is her gimmick? I wasn't expecting her to come to the main roster with a fully-formed character, but she's devoid of any character right now. Her interview/promo work is decent at best, but I think there is a noticeable lack of confidence that shines through. Her claiming that the WWE is "her yard" is laughable when you compare how she carries herself compared to, say, Alicia Fox, who really does seem like she owns the place. Hell, I'd say Summer Rae has done a better job of "owning" her role than Paige.

Third, and this has way more to do with Creative than Paige, her booking has been terrible. Somehow, somebody thinks they can book her like Awesome Kong or Beth Pheonix and we won't still see a 90-pound, anemic-looking goth chick. She's simply been miscast as an ass-kicking, unbeatable wrestler's wrestler. Her moveset isn't THAT great looking. She's not a breathtaking high-flyer (a female Mysterio) that can outsmart bigger opponents anymore than she's a world-class submission/MMA-style worker (a female Bryan/Regal), but since her main roster debut, she's soundly defeated wrestlers with comparatively much more experience (Tamina, Alicia Fox, Brie Bella, Aksana, and Cameron). If she was wowing me everytime she competed (a female Cesaro or Ziggler, if you will), I'd buy into her positioning...but she hasn't shown to be that since getting called up.

I've written it elsewhere, but I thought Naomi/Cameron was an all-around more engaging match than AJ/Paige at Battleground and I'd be willing to defend that stance.

Which brings us to...

AJ
    I think her character work is really her best gift, as she does the "little things" right when cutting promos, making her entrance, and selling...but in terms of her own offense, I think she is overrated by some. I think, in a different time, she would've been regarded a Top 5 worker in the Diva Division, but never number one. In 2014, I think she's number one because there isn't much competition on the main roster (one could say Emma, but like Paige, that'd be based way more on NXT than on what we've actually seen since she was called up).

My recommendation to WWE at this point would be to stick with what IS working in the Divas Division, specifically their focus on storylines over (and I know I'll offend someone with this) athletic competition. The Naomi/Cameron and Steph/Bellas feuds are working, to me at least, because they are being set-up to deliver brawls and catfights, not wrestling clinics. This works to the strengths of the performers rather than asking the performers to go out of their comfort zone. AJ/Paige, at Battleground, was two workers attempting to deliver a more technical bout, but doing so without the benefit of a clear face/heel dynamic OR a real sense that either one of these performers are true masters of the craft (the commentary team surely hasn't helped to that end).

That being said, now that Paige has turned heel, I do have higher hopes for their next match, as I think the audience will get behind it more.

So, I was thinking how to expand the feud between Aj/Paige by having WWE re-fabricate the Women's title & giving it to Paige. She brings up how in her own eyes, the fans (including myself) still consider her a champion. That match at NoC never happened according to her. It makes AJ desire it even more. Thus, an unification ladder match! hmm?

Paige

Actually it will be more accurate to say WWE has decided to use her as an enhancement talent like they have done for Cesaro.

Haven't caught RAW the past few weeks because, well, there's too many reasons to name, but I read that Paige came back recently and is a babyface again? Can someone explain to me how that happened? Also, on another forum someone mentioned that she is back to being friends with Natalya despite them running an injury angle several months ago (could be off on that)?

I know Nikki's been out and Sasha's injured, but I'm just curious because I'm really wondering what the next Divas feud will be heading into Mania. I'm guessing Nikki/Charlotte, which I don't totally hate. At this point, Nikki might have given Charlotte her best match since she joined the main roster.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

Paige was leaning babyface before she got hurt cause Charlotte was in the midst of a turn... and I think they dropped Paige taking out Nattie, a smackdown few months ago, Team bad took credit for it. Last night was just a push for total divas.

Becky vs. Charlotte have good chemistry but I doubt they're the mania program. Charlotte probably wins at the rumble and they might do triple threat at Mania.

Nikki might need surgery for a bulging disc.

Paige has turned as many times as Big Show has all ready. Its insane.

It's gonna be Sasha vs Charlotte in WM I think. You don't need more than a month to build that.

And what CoLD points out is one of the big problems en the FED right now. Turning somebody so many times in a short period of time end up killing that somebody allure and heat. Paige should have been a face her entire first year. They should have bring girls like Kong to feud with her. Her mom too.
    Last edited by BULLSHITMANIA; 01-19-2016 at 03:44 PM.

The WWE has no problem ruining storylines when it comes to promoting projects that are barely watched, like Total Divas or their awful direct-to-DVD movies. Paige needed to be face for that segment to promote Total Divas. She could be heel again next week.

More craziness from the main page:

"Mister Saint Laurent, who has broken WWE scoops in the past, spoke about the Alberto Del Rio - Paige relationship with former WCW matchmaker Kevin Sullivan on the latest episode of "MSL & Sullivan" on MLW Radio.com. Check out the episode at this link. MSL revealed that WWE's Mark Carrano approached the couple and harassed them about being together. MSL said:

"Mark Carrano, who fans might know from Total Divas, kind of like the office liaison guy, approached Del Rio and Paige individually and harassed each of them about their relationship. It was indicated that the office wanted them to sever their romantic relationship."

MSL continued on to on to say that WWE threatened to fire Paige if she did not split up with Del Rio. He said:

"A lot of people speculated if this was the reason [WWE] split them up in the draft and that's definitely what happened. The company did not want them together. They split them up in the draft by design and they threatened to fire Paige if she didn't break up with Del Rio."

As previously reported, Paige is currently serving a 30-day suspension for her first violation of the WWE Wellness Policy. She's also dealing with back and shoulder injuries. Del Rio is reportedly finished with WWE, after being unhappy over creative decisions for months now, and will be free to work anywhere imminently.
    Read more at http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/Paige_and_Alberto_Del_Rio_Reportedly_Harassed_By_W WE_Official_Over_Their_Relationship.html#gSYeWKdrH gVYQy3I.99"

The WWE has always been vindictive, controlling, and just needlessly dickish and petty with such things, but still. Unless Paige and ADR were a trouble couple causing backstage problems, what business is it of theirs that they're together?

Because they are not part of the HHH or Vince's chosen few.

John Cena, Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, the Miz and ever Seth Rollins can date/marry another wrestler, but not Paige or ADR.

Just like any other business, they have their favorites who can get away with whatever, and others who can't.

Super Moderator
    It's also probably because Paige is young and stupid and a bit of trainwreck without dating a hard partier, which ADR is known for, and they're trying to protect their investment.

As much as pro wrestling is a business, it's also somewhat of a family dynamic, too and I could see Triple H, etc., wanting to protect Paige from herself, too. They know, realistically, how this will likely end and the last thing that they want is someone promising, and someone whom they've known since she was 19, fucking up their career over it.

I know promoters who have cut people out for less. Things that have no impact on their ability to perform in the ring, but impact them as a person and might hurt morale.

You can't baby people, I get that. But some people need someone to save them from themselves. I feel for Paige, I really do. She's been in that system, and a star in that system, since she was 19. She's been a rockstar since 19. I can see why, at 24, she's got the personality that she does. I've got news for ya, if I were in her shoes I might not have lived to see 24 -- I'd probably have partied myself to death.

The thing is, the more you try to drive a wedge between someone's job and their significant other, they will either become resentful or make a decision you don't want them to make. Not to mention that while Paige got over, she's now been pushed aside, for whatever reason, she shouldn't have to end a relationship to get a push and she may feel like it wouldn't come regardless.. I mean look at the talent on Raw... With the Cruiser weight divison coming in, they barely feature 4 girls on a Raw a week..

I don't see that improving so maybe Paige doesn't give a fuck.

Here's the problem Coach; there's protecting the investment and then there's threatening to fire the investment if she doesn't make the personal life choice you want her to make. In fairness none of us know if that's what happened and while this MSL guy is apparently a credible source he is also very close with the Del Rio camp (and you gotta figure Del Rio will be on the warpath again when it comes to WWE for the foreseeable future). But man if that is indeed true that's bad. Like really bad. Carrano, who is the head of Talent Relations mind you, would probably get canned, there would be a long look at H and Vince (right or wrong) because it's well known they didn't approve of the relationship either and from what I've seen it could open the up to a lawsuit (Sara can probably explain whether that's true or not). Just not good. I'm not really inclined to believe either side so frankly I just hope this story dies a quick death.

Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post
    The WWE has always been vindictive, controlling, and just needlessly dickish and petty with such things, but still. Unless Paige and ADR were a trouble couple causing backstage problems, what business is it of theirs that they're together?
    The way I see it, WWE knew ADR wasn't going to resign with the company. They didn't want another CM Punk/AJ Lee situation, where they lose their top female talent after their boyfriend/husband/f-buddy leaves the company in a bad way. Paige might not be on top right now, but she is heavily involved with other media things for WWE, so it's only a matter of time before WWE pushes her again.

If that's all it was that's fine. But if it comes out that Carrano was telling Paige to dump him or lose her job then it's different. WWE has thankfully denied the story anyway so barring Del Rio or Paige making a comment on the matter this will be the end.

Super Moderator
    The thing that makes me doubt the story is who's involved: Mark Carrano and Vince McMahon.

Carrano is a business guy and Vince is smart. Carrano isn't going to pull that shit and Vince isn't going to let him.

But, like the steroids in the past, something will be said. Vince isn't going to tell a guy to use gas, but he'll say "It would be easier to push you if you were bigger."

They aren't going to straight up say to dump him or you're fired, but they'll tell her that the behaviour of the two is putting her job in jeopardy.

But ADR, Paige and MSL aren't stupid, they know what that means.

Buzz is building that Paige has officially quit WWE. Only one source as of now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Buzz is building that Paige has officially quit WWE. Only one source as of now though.
    If I may ask out of genuine curiosity, how do you come across this sort of information? Other dirtsheets, twitter, etc.? I am not questioning it by any means, I just find the whole process interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by DBPanterA View Post
    If I may ask out of genuine curiosity, how do you come across this sort of information? Other dirtsheets, twitter, etc.? I am not questioning it by any means, I just find the whole process interesting....
    I got this from Twitter lol. The source is some guy Meltzer knows named FrontRowBrian, he's apparently an MMA guy. I wouldn't blame you for questioning it cause I am; I've never heard of the guy and thus far he's the only guy saying she was released. But with everything going around and the rumors she wasn't long for WWE anyway I thought it was at least worth discussing.

From what I've read in the old dirtsheets, she has several years left on her contract. It wouldn't surprise me if she has a contract with E! as well.

If that's the case, you know WWE is going to do whatever they can to keep her from going to any company that has any tv presence. Also don't see her indy booking asking price being cheap either. Hope Papi is ready to support his girl.
    Last edited by Section ( 8 ); 09-09-2016 at 12:23 AM.

Reality Champ
    While you're probably right, let's not equate this with a Daniel Bryan or Rey Mysterio situation. Paige is a nice women's talent, but I'm not sure that WWE views her as enough of a draw to make a difference.

She does have several years left on her deal but by the looks of it she's working on getting out of it with the help of lawyers and Meltzer seemed to think WWE wouldn't mind letting her go, which makes sense considering a) they have enough top female talent already and b) Total Bellas is now the bigger priority for WWE than Total Divas (who can survive anyway without Paige). There's a very good chance she can be gone.

... Meltzer seemed to think WWE wouldn't mind letting her go,...
    I'm sure WWE would let Paige go. There is a surplus of replacements out there.

But this is WWE, which can be dickish to departing talent. Like how Cody Rhodes can't use the "Rhodes" name at the moment. So it's smart that she got a lawyer, because WWE will look at every loophole to make her transition to indy life as rocky as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Section ( 8 ) View Post
    I'm sure WWE would let Paige go. There is a surplus of replacements out there.

But this is WWE, which can be dickish to departing talent. Like how Cody Rhodes can't use the "Rhodes" name at the moment. So it's smart that she got a lawyer, because WWE will look at every loophole to make her transition to indy life as rocky as possible.
    Like the WWE would care for some 2nd tier 'Diva'. She is no Bayley or Sasha, or even Charlotte - who are clearly the stars they're pushing. And the WWE could lose even those 3 without batting an eye. By the way, the WWE is now claiming that Mark Carrano never gave Paige the ultimatum that she had to leave ADR or she would be fired (while she claims they were). Seems like another instance of the WWE just being dickish - and yes, for anyone who doubts this, they do have a history of playing these sorts of games with people.

Of course WWE are going to make it difficult for Paige to leave and transition to wrestling outside of the company. They do this to pretty much every talent that leaves them in a non-respectable manner.

Does anybody really care though? The womens division has been a lot more interesting the past 12 months and Paige has been basically unseen since Charlotte, Becky and Sasha came onto the main roster and split up from the stupid faction wars. Let her go and follow Del Rio around the other companies for a while and see if she still feels the same way about this decision in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Of course WWE are going to make it difficult for Paige to leave and transition to wrestling outside of the company. They do this to pretty much every talent that leaves them in a non-respectable manner.

Does anybody really care though? The womens division has been a lot more interesting the past 12 months and Paige has been basically unseen since Charlotte, Becky and Sasha came onto the main roster and split up from the stupid faction wars. Let her go and follow Del Rio around the other companies for a while and see if she still feels the same way about this decision in 3 years.
    I know; how dare she be disrespectful to a company that at best appears to have tried to influence how she lives her personal life?! Not that I condone every action Paige and Del Rio did here, but let's not act like the WWE is an innocent party in all of this. If they were Paige wouldn't be trying to leave much like AJ Lee didn't try to leave despite the clusterfuck involving Punk.

And I guarantee you she'll feel great about this decision in three years if she gets out and goes wrestles elsewhere. WWE will probably to if they're able to scoop her back up. Paige is still 24 years old and when motivated and healthy one of the most underrated female workers around. She'd instantly be the number one girl in TNA, she'd instantly be a star in LU, AAA, CMLL, SHIMMER, Stardom, Shine, Women of Honor and all sorts of other places I can't think of. Leaving does work out great at times; look no further than her current boyfriend, who left WWE on awful terms and managed to come back a year later because he became an even bigger, more over star outside the company than he ever was in it. Seeing as Paige is a million times more interesting than Del Rio is I bet she'd do even better. If she does leave WWE right now the only way she's not back in three years is if she stays with Del Rio forever or is forced to retire because of her injury issues. Otherwise she'll be back and she'll be on the same level as these other girls because of how well she's killed it on the open market.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    I dunno, I don't see it. But you know that I've never seen it with Paige. I think she's an above average wrestler, a below average promo, has a grating voice and an attitude that comes off as fake tough.

Maybe she'll go light the world on fire, I hope that she does, but I have my doubts.

As I said before, I also don't blame WWE for sticking their nose in Paige and ADR's business. ADR is a serial philanderer, 15 years her senior. She's a young woman whom they've looked after since she was a teenager. They have a good idea as to how this ends, and don't want to see her throw away her career over it but ultimately recognize that it's her choice to make.

All the best to them both, maybe they'll make it, but I just hope that she doesn't regret this decision six months from now, especially when they've called up Asuka, Ember Moon and maybe Billie Kay and don't really require her services or have space for her.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the reason I came...

https://www.facebook.com/mmafighting...4578417579479/

CM Punk's official weigh in for tomorrow. The guy's got abs for the first time ever and looks good at 170.
    Sorry but I don't see your 'he's a philanderer', and 'they're just trying to protect her' angle. He may be that, but she's a grown woman, and she can make her own decisions. For all we know, she is perfectly aware of his history (after all he has a kid and had a wife), just as we are, and was just in it for fun or whatever. It's not like ADR has caused drama backstage with his lecherous ways before (unlike say Melina or Mickie James who caused backstage drama with their relationship problems).

So yeah, I don't buy it. This is the WWE being petty and controlling (they have a well-known history of this), rather than them having a legitimate reason for their actions. This whole thing reeks of paternalistic macho masculinity. "Yeah, we know what's best for her, so we'll adjudicate on who she can and can't date." Fuck that bullshit.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Paige is getting neck surgery. Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by phemom View Post
    Paige is getting neck surgery. Good grief.
    And after she could've done it while she was suspended. I'm guessing the rumors of her and WWE working things out are false and she's back because there was no way out of the contract and WWE didn't want her going elsewhere. So she'll take as much time off as she can and pass the time.

And after she could've done it while she was suspended. I'm guessing the rumors of her and WWE working things out are false and she's back because there was no way out of the contract and WWE didn't want her going elsewhere. So she'll take as much time off as she can and pass the time.
    Contract is frozen anyway. Killing time doesnt help her.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    I think Paige truly tried to come back, and WWE wouldn't clear her. If she was killing time she wouldn't be at RAW every week.

It prolly became a thing where if WWE NEEDED her right, it would be a go...but RAW doesn't need her right now, so she can get it fixed and become more important after Mania.

They are gonna need her after exhausting the HW storylines.

Paige is suspended again.

Fire her ass already and be done with it.

Any conspiracy theories that she purposefully failed and that she's planning on failing a third so she can be fired?

Don't WHAT? Me.
    I hope it is that, if not she's the dumbest out.

Here's a question: if you get fired over the policy, does the no compete still apply?