Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The John Cena Thread

The Brain
    Also worth pointing out that there's never been a successful video game movie, so this might not be the thing that launches him.

I also have to say, Blockers looks ripe for bomb potential. The more relevant question is, if Cena's Hollywood transition ultimately fails, how much will we see him in WWE?

He's the lead bad guy in Bumblebee but seems to have the leading role of the trio in Blockers, so we'll see about that. I like that it's not an action role.

Duke Nukem should have been into a movie 20 years ago. I could it turning into a Doom-type movie if the supporting cast is unimpressive. Standard b-rate fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Cena is the lead in Bumblebee.
    Pretty much, as I said. He's got a load of talent around him, not least Steinfeld who will be a huge part of that movie.

Very different to playing the titular character in a film and carrying it on his own name, in my opinion.

Yeah Steinfeld is really the lead in Bumblebee.

If he bombs as a leading star he can go back to doing what he has been doing like in Trainwreck or that Tina Fey movie. He got good reviews for his voicework in Ferdinand too.

Cena will always be busy and its not wise for his health to come back to WWE full time.. he has a great contract with them and either way, i see him dipping his toe back in from time to time over the next five years. I don't think he'll ever become the movie star that Rock is but its not unreasonable to think he'll still get decent roles while away from WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Also worth pointing out that there's never been a successful video game movie,
    Ummmm..

The original Tomb Raider, and Tomb Raider 2
    Resident Evil Franchise

and I am going to argue that Rampage will be commercially a success, but critically panned.

The Brain
    Fair point, those films did have commercial success. You've got to admit though, they are the exception rather than the rule.

Without a doubt.

Super Moderator
    Not at all.

Need for Speed tripled its budget. Assassin's Creed doubled its budget. Prince of Persia doubled. WarCraft made almost half a billion dollars.

Even that Hitman movie from 2015 technically doubled its $36 mil budget.

In fact, according to Wikipedia, every video game movie since 2010, except Tekken, have been financial successes.

Fans of the games might not love them, but they make approximately all the money.

The Brain
    Well, I stand corrected. You generally only hear terrible things about those films but I suppose that's no indicator of commercial success!

Most of the movies were for shit, but they made money. Kind of like 21 Jump Street, that did so well, they made a sequel.

The Brain
    I actually really enjoyed 21 Jump Street, not sure it really belongs in the same category.

And for what it's worth I've enjoyed video game movies before too, I just never knew they actually did that well at the box office.

I really like what Plan said about Cena recently, even though he is in the Elimination Chamber, he has been a bit out of sorts since Mania. Not his normal level of performance, certainly not his normal character.

Could the Elimination Chamber be a sufficient shock to the system to bring out the old John Cena or will we see him continue as a shadow of himself, barely scraping by guys like Finn Balor and being owned by Elias.