Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The John Cena Thread

Squared
    Are we at a loss? Again, I don't say I think Cena should be a special attraction that is brought in to go over people. I sort of think that he will be, but I am not saying that it is a good idea.

Saying that, it sort of depends on how much of a part-timer he is. If he continues to work this much, then it might not apply so obviously. In that case you'll probably get your wish.

If, having won the title and then dropped it again, he moves more and more into Hollywood and becomes more of a legit part timer, then I think you won't see lengthy feuds, you'll see short things with one big match that Cena wins at the end, most of the time, in much the same way other guys have come back.

True, but it all depends on what kind of deal Cena has made with the WWE. How much time is Cena allowed to leave at any one time? He left for a few weeks to film the new show. Then he left to do some voice over work for Ferdinand and film his parts for Daddy's Home 2. And he will have to do some press and talk shows for Ferdinand. He will come back soon, and I am assuming that all principal filming for Bumblebee has been completed by now, but reshoots will happen soon. The movie is set to release in December 2018, and I can completely see Vince wanting his golden boy making his way around the press tour and talk show tour with the WWE title around his waist in every interview.

Next on __________ "WWE Champion and star of the upcoming Hollywood blockbuster Bumblebee, John Cena". And over his shoulder or around his waist is the title belt.

This is what Vince wanted for Batista, but it never panned out.
    Last edited by Powder; 11-14-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Squared
    I have sort of assumed that down the line he'll transition into being more of an actor than a wrestler, now that he is in his forties and that option is open to him.

If he is going to be sticking around, and holding the strap time and again.... well, that changes things. It'd dilute the argument that he should be the gatekeeper for one thing, because he'd still be 'the guy' in many respects.

I think Cena will be around for short spurts for another few years, i don't think he's gonna become a Rock like movie star and he's dedicated to WWE in a way no other top guy has been.. if he had the smarts and desire and money of course, i could almost see him taking over for Vince.. that will never happen but that's just how i feel about his passion for the company. Does that mean multiple title runs? Nah, use him like Jericho only bigger. put over new acts, promote WWE the way he can...etc.

The Brain
    I hope he works an HBK 00s schedule for the next several years. He's got lots to offer but he should be gone enough to let the new faces shine, and he's hopefully the type who will also work extensively with those new faces when he is around.

Realistically, Cena hasn't been the centerpiece of WWE since 2013, which is the last time he main evented Mania. He's held mid-card titles, and been in various feuds with upper-midcarders, non-title main eventers since then. So I don't think there's any real issues of him not giving other people an opportunity to shine.

Squared
    No, I don't think anyone is suggesting that there is. It's more a question of how you use him as a part-timer. I think you need to keep him back at the level where he's not likely to be challenging for titles too much, both because it helps the newer guys who are (not constantly being compared to the part-timer who could come back and beat them at any moment) and also because Cena's presence down the card gives you an additional draw, and you don't really want to waste that by rolling it in with your main event.

The Brain
    HBK challenged for a fair few titles in his 00s run and it worked ok. I think he can be in that scenario from time to time but yeah, best if it's not his primary haunt anymore. Give him personal issues to deal with, god knows he's got plenty of character and history to work through in the hands of a halfway decent writer.

That is basically how they're dealing with him. He only gets world title runs/shots during Summerslams it seems (2013-2015, late 2016-Royal Rumble) when the real Mania stars are kept apart. There aren't any issues with that and it appears they're proceeding with him in a manner appropriate to his part-time status.

Squared
    I probably wouldn't give him any more runs like the one he had earlier this year unless it really accomplished something in storyline terms, something way above and beyond what that last reign did. But that aside, generally speaking it's been a long time since I've had a problem with how he has been used.

I agree, I wouldn't have done it either, but they were intent on not letting AJ go completely over. So they gave him his 16th title run, which they refused to treat as a big deal before or afterwards, when it absolutely should have been.