Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The John Cena Thread

Squared
    Are we at a loss? Again, I don't say I think Cena should be a special attraction that is brought in to go over people. I sort of think that he will be, but I am not saying that it is a good idea.

Saying that, it sort of depends on how much of a part-timer he is. If he continues to work this much, then it might not apply so obviously. In that case you'll probably get your wish.

If, having won the title and then dropped it again, he moves more and more into Hollywood and becomes more of a legit part timer, then I think you won't see lengthy feuds, you'll see short things with one big match that Cena wins at the end, most of the time, in much the same way other guys have come back.

True, but it all depends on what kind of deal Cena has made with the WWE. How much time is Cena allowed to leave at any one time? He left for a few weeks to film the new show. Then he left to do some voice over work for Ferdinand and film his parts for Daddy's Home 2. And he will have to do some press and talk shows for Ferdinand. He will come back soon, and I am assuming that all principal filming for Bumblebee has been completed by now, but reshoots will happen soon. The movie is set to release in December 2018, and I can completely see Vince wanting his golden boy making his way around the press tour and talk show tour with the WWE title around his waist in every interview.

Next on __________ "WWE Champion and star of the upcoming Hollywood blockbuster Bumblebee, John Cena". And over his shoulder or around his waist is the title belt.

This is what Vince wanted for Batista, but it never panned out.
    Last edited by Powder; 11-14-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Squared
    I have sort of assumed that down the line he'll transition into being more of an actor than a wrestler, now that he is in his forties and that option is open to him.

If he is going to be sticking around, and holding the strap time and again.... well, that changes things. It'd dilute the argument that he should be the gatekeeper for one thing, because he'd still be 'the guy' in many respects.

I think Cena will be around for short spurts for another few years, i don't think he's gonna become a Rock like movie star and he's dedicated to WWE in a way no other top guy has been.. if he had the smarts and desire and money of course, i could almost see him taking over for Vince.. that will never happen but that's just how i feel about his passion for the company. Does that mean multiple title runs? Nah, use him like Jericho only bigger. put over new acts, promote WWE the way he can...etc.

The Brain
    I hope he works an HBK 00s schedule for the next several years. He's got lots to offer but he should be gone enough to let the new faces shine, and he's hopefully the type who will also work extensively with those new faces when he is around.

Realistically, Cena hasn't been the centerpiece of WWE since 2013, which is the last time he main evented Mania. He's held mid-card titles, and been in various feuds with upper-midcarders, non-title main eventers since then. So I don't think there's any real issues of him not giving other people an opportunity to shine.

Squared
    No, I don't think anyone is suggesting that there is. It's more a question of how you use him as a part-timer. I think you need to keep him back at the level where he's not likely to be challenging for titles too much, both because it helps the newer guys who are (not constantly being compared to the part-timer who could come back and beat them at any moment) and also because Cena's presence down the card gives you an additional draw, and you don't really want to waste that by rolling it in with your main event.

The Brain
    HBK challenged for a fair few titles in his 00s run and it worked ok. I think he can be in that scenario from time to time but yeah, best if it's not his primary haunt anymore. Give him personal issues to deal with, god knows he's got plenty of character and history to work through in the hands of a halfway decent writer.

That is basically how they're dealing with him. He only gets world title runs/shots during Summerslams it seems (2013-2015, late 2016-Royal Rumble) when the real Mania stars are kept apart. There aren't any issues with that and it appears they're proceeding with him in a manner appropriate to his part-time status.

Squared
    I probably wouldn't give him any more runs like the one he had earlier this year unless it really accomplished something in storyline terms, something way above and beyond what that last reign did. But that aside, generally speaking it's been a long time since I've had a problem with how he has been used.

@lopprimetime

I agree, I wouldn't have done it either, but they were intent on not letting AJ go completely over. So they gave him his 16th title run, which they refused to treat as a big deal before or afterwards, when it absolutely should have been.

Squared
    Heard Cena is back at the end of the month.

Guess that means even though he's off filming things he's going to be around for a lot of the big spots. I expect that'll mean a busy January with RAW 25 and the Rumble.

@lopprimetime

I imagine he'll work the big shows for a bit longer unless he latches onto a couple movies in a row.. i think he's got that show and Bumblebee coming up.. but they're post production with Bumblebee

Cena should not be a part timer in the Brock sense. He Should be the new Undertaker. Cena should work Mania and maybe SummerSlam moving forward. Have 2 feuds that can make someone.

Everyone knows that he is going Hollywood and will be around less and less, especially after his first starring roles in BumbleBee, and the movie Blockers co-starring Leslie Mann get released. Cena is also getting married soon, and maybe finally wanting to have a kid, and he would want to be around for that kid.

So I would have Cena win the WWE Title at SummerSlam or Survivor Series in 2018. This then breaks Flair's record and it also means that Cena will be champion during December when Bumblebee is released (Dec 21, 2018). Vince will not want to miss another opportunity to have his biggest star with THE WWE Title around his waist for all of the movie promotions he will be doing. Day time talk shows, Late Night Talk Shows, etc. Vince is already drooling about having his championship belt on all those TV shows.

After 2018, make Cena into the once a year attraction at Mania match.

The Brain
    That's way too soon to move Cena into the once a year role, I think. Still got too many people clogging up that spot anyway.

We assume that Cena is going to be this big movie star when only the Rock has ever become one and he left WWE when he was 30. If these big movies bomb, then I don't see Cena just disappearing from WWE. Do I think he works a full schedule again? Heck no, he was full time top guy for over 10 years, his body is breaking down.. but I could def see him working on a sproadic basis for WWE simply because he's a company guy and Vince will need to go to the well since most of their older legends are done.

Squared
    The recieved wisdom out there is that he is going to work for the WWE as much as his schedule allows for the foreseeable future anyway, so it may not even be all that big a deal for a couple of years.

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    We assume that Cena is going to be this big movie star when only the Rock has ever become one and he left WWE when he was 30. If these big movies bomb, then I don't see Cena just disappearing from WWE. Do I think he works a full schedule again? Heck no, he was full time top guy for over 10 years, his body is breaking down.. but I could def see him working on a sproadic basis for WWE simply because he's a company guy and Vince will need to go to the well since most of their older legends are done.
    I do not see Bumblebee bombing. It is a prequel so we do not have all the nonsense of The Last Knight trash out there. Also, the Last Knight made money, and I see Bumblebee making money. You will get all the of the people who love Michael Bay's movies going to see it plus all of the millions of kids that are WWE fans going to see it. The movie might not be a critical success but it will succeed monetarily, just like every other Bay movie.

Now the other movie, Blockers? No idea on that one.

I think part of the issue with moving Cena into a once/twice a year role is, to some extent, freshness of his potential opponents. What kept Undertaker hooking people in, as much as his presence, was that they offered a lot of matches which people hadn't seen before (Reigns, Wyatt) or hadn't seen for a long time (Lesnar, Michaels) or that we'd seen recently but in a completely different context (Punk).

But Cena's pretty much faced everyone he could have a big feud with to lead up to a once a year match currently in WWE very recently. Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose, Nakamura, Styles, Owens... they've all kind of burnt them out.

If you're going to give it a couple of years, let some of the newer talent bed in and find their level, and then bring him back it could work. But if you do it next year I just can't see there being much gain to it as it'll just be the same matches we've seen in the last few years. There's no real unique hook then, so the feud itself needs to sell the match rather than the match itself just sit and sell.

Cena/Taker and Cena/Joe come to mind immediately as two Mania worthy matches that we have never seen. As much as I have been wanting Cena/Taker, we may never get it and if not, I would love to see Cena/Joe in a few months.

Come to think of it, I would like to believe that if the WWE (or Cena himself) reached out the Punk and said that at Mania 35 the main event would be Cena/Punk for the WWE Title, Punk might actually consider coming back. It may be a pipe (pun intended) dream, but stranger things have happened.

Sub question: Let's flash forward a few years. From the current performers on the WWE Roster wither RAW or Smackdown, who would you want to see be Cena's final match against?

I would say Orton. Cena's longest and most consistent rivalries have been against Batista, Edge, and Orton, and Orton is the only one who is still on the Roster.

Orton would be an interesting choice there, and would probably get a lot of negativity around it given the whole 'we've seen them wrestle a thousand times' stuff that their feud for the two titles got in 2013/2014.

I think I'd probably go with The Miz.

I did think about a match with Joe - it's possibly the one we've not yet seen that I'd like to.

But just once I want to see Cena lose cleanly to the Miz on a major PPV.

The Brain
    Haha, you're speaking my language with that!

I also think there's a difference between Cena facing a guy on some random Raw US Open Challenge whatever, and a proper built up feud, so I think he could do some repeats with people if handled well. There's also the option to revisit people with some kind of twist to the feud, and (hopefully) there will always be new guys coming up the ranks.

Cena's last match... I don't know who i'd want him to face but I don't think we'll get a retirement match per se. HBK was that rare case of a guy working regular tv and saying I'm done, lets do the match at this mania. If Cena turns into a once a year performer, you don't have to book a retirement match.

Cena is very loyal to the WWE and wrestling itself. However his body is pretty banged up. Bad neck, bad shoulders and rotator cuff (can't even throw punches properly anymore). I would not fault him at all if he chooses to retire completely or if he goes the 1 match a year + movies/projects in Hollywood. The comparisons to Rock are unfair in the sense of him 'abandoning wrestling just like Rock did', in my view.

Cena is 40 and reducing his in ring performing. The Rock left completely in 2004 at 32. Huge difference. If the Rock wrestled another 8 years straight and then left, no one would ever say anything.

if he wrestled for another 8 years like that, Then he never would have became the movie star he did. Which is why I don't hold it against the Rock and think its pretty silly to think he should have stayed. Furthermore, The company was in a down trend, Rock is great but it probably would have only hurt his legacy if he stayed.

I don't blame the Rock for leaving and becoming a HUGE Hollywood star at all. Cena could have done the exact same thing after the Marine came out. I know the Marine wasn't that good, but Cena showed that he could act, AND he has the looks and the presence of a leading man.

I have no idea if the Rock chose to stay if he would have hurt his legacy at all. He could have gone down as THE biggest star the wrestling business has ever seen. Right now there is still debate over who was the biggest, Hogan, Austin, or the Rock. The Rock could have been a clear #1 if he stayed.

I mean sure, on both points, I don't think movie execs were that into Cena being this big movie star. They don't have trouble finding guys with his look, it wasn't until he showed his comedic range where he probably got more of a look. That's where Rock really started to take off.

Rock would have been the biggest wrestling star, yeah but at the time he left, the wrestling peak had ended. It had started to die even with Austin so say Rock stays, his name in hollywood decreases, while his stock in WWE gets bigger and others don't rise.

There isn't a real debate. Austin was hotter during his peak than anyone else, including Hogan and Rock. Hogan had the longevity that neither Austin nor Rock had as a top star. If Rock had stayed, he *might* have been able to eclipse Hogan's longevity, but he would have never been as hot as Austin was during the 90's. That was a very special set of circumstances that was non-replicable. The WWE was never going to be able to get the ratings they did in the 90's forever, or have that insane stretch where any show they booked was an instant sell-out or almost - the whole late 90's live attendance renaissance.

I don't begrudge Rock for leaving, though I can understand why some people were upset that for a number of years after he got big, and after he had initially debuted in Hollywood with the 'Rock' moniker, he became Dwayne Johnson (which was fine and completely understandable), but then he pretended as if he had never been a wrestler, and stayed far away from it, apparently at the behest of his managers/agents. He was pretty opportunistic there.
    Last edited by Allystare; 12-15-2017 at 04:14 PM.

You've got to wonder whether Austin's career would have been significantly longer had he not nearly broken his neck and subsequently not been able to rehab it properly because WWE were becoming extremely reliant on him as a face at the top level.

Super Moderator
    The widely repeated story is that Rock completely distanced himself from pro wrestling because Vince McMahon offended him. WWE just didn't renew his deal (whether it was an oversight or on purpose because they assumed he'd fail and come crawling back is up for debate) and he was hurt, so he took a "fuck them, if they don't need me, then to hell with that company" approach.

The Rock seems like an overwhelmingly positive guy. When it came to the time that he ultimately returned, he probably just wanted to put all that bad blood behind him and return to something that he has fun with and probably missed. Plus, I'm sure he got his.

I'm sure that his managers and agents told him it was smart to distance himself from wrestling. But if you go back and look at interviews from 2005, he seems genuinely hurt that WWE just let him walk.

He was still much older than the Rock though, so i don't know how long Austin would have stayed around.

Yup, I remember when Johnny Ace and Vince basically disrespected Rock in 2004. They let his contract expire so much as without another offer or phone-call. And he was genuinely and rightly upset about this. (Who the hell lets one of their biggest stars' contract expire without at the very least a 'thank you'?) But correct me if I'm wrong, I believe they sorted that out bit in 2005ish.

Source: http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/archive/therockdoom

That's an interview he did with WWE in October 2005.

So Cena returns next week I assume to set up a Rumble match or to announce himself as the first entrant in the Rumble match itself.

So rumours are that John Cena has a big match, bigger than facing AJ Styles, planned for Mania.

Could it be we're heading for Cena/Taker?

I would think it has to be Taker... the report also said we'd know in few weeks and what's in a few weeks? The 25th anniversary Raw where Taker is appearing.

Its a few years too late, but i think casuals would still be hype for the match. Simply because of who they are.

Me personally? I have like no interest.

I would be happy if neither of them had a match at Mania but if Cena has to have a match hopefully it isn't against Taker. I enjoyed Taker v Reigns but want it to be his last.

So rumours are that, while it's at a very early stage (no director attached yet, and possibly no serious writers right now either), John Cena is in talks with Michael Bay's production company to play Duke Nukem on the big screen.

Do people think Cena's acting career is going to take off from here? As far as I understand he has pretty high profile roles in Blockers and Bumblebee, pretty much lead roles and his first of that kind. But playing Duke and actually carrying a movie seems to be the next step from there, so perhaps a lot will depend on how those movies do as to whether he sees roles like that finally come his way. Either way, it's certainly interesting to see him branching out - and also to wonder how on Earth they bring Duke Nukem into the world right now.

Cena is the lead in Bumblebee.