Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Owens

Kevin Steen

Huge fan of Steen and a bunch of shit he is currently doing.

He posted a link on twitter of him on Reddit so I figured if anyone wanted to ask him anything I might as well share. http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircl...usky_dude_who/

Goldberg Rules!
    Too many dick questions, good lord.

Reality Champ
    It's Reddit, what did you expect?

Goldberg Rules!
    Pictures? Nah.

Is Kevin Steen too fat for a WWE Contract?

Id say YES even though it makes me sad. I love Steen and he would have been ECW Champion in a heartbeat back in the day. He just doesnt have the WWE skillset. I know he went to work with Lance Storm on his fundamentals before the WWE Tryout (hes been a brawler for a few years now ... funny they used to call him Mr. Wrestling)

Hes short (5ft9 it looks to me) hes heavy (easily over 220) and hes got a foreign accent.

Hes different tho. He has passion and i believe he could get over if given the opportunity.

Im sure Regal and Sammi Zayn lobbied for this to happen.

Jim Cornette hates him (but he hated Brock, Santino, Batista, and enough ECW guys to fill a bucket) but Im not sure hes wrong, He can rock out the Hammerstein Ballroom but im not sure he could MSG.

Elgin has been helping him lose weight for a few months now. He knew this was coming.

That'd be great for Steen, but losing one quarter of Mount Rushmore would suck.

After Chris Hero didnt get through developmental (a guy i thought was sure to make it through) i worry about a guy like Steen personality wise.

Reality Champ
    I love Steen, but I wouldn't see him succeeding in the WWE for a number of reasons, not the least of which, as Sara said, is his personality/ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post

Jim Cornette hates him (but he hated Brock, Santino, Batista, and enough ECW guys to fill a bucket) but Im not sure hes wrong, He can rock out the Hammerstein Ballroom but im not sure he could MSG.
    I listened to Cornette's rant on Steen, it was pretty hilarious. I wouldn't say Cornette hates Batista -- I mean Cornette hates Batista as a person (Batista badmouthed OVW), but as a performer, despite Batista not being the sort of mold that appeals to Cornette (The Ric Flair type of wrestler), Cornette bent over backwards to establish Batista in OVW, and always maintained that despite the fact that Batista was too old and lackluster as a performer, that his presence and look meant that he was going to be a good WM attraction someday, particularly for someone like the Undertaker -- and they pushed him hard with that goal in mind.

As for Brock, apparently Brock had attitude problems in OVW, and was very unmotivated, not a hard worker, and a total all-around douchebag (apparently there was an incident with Brock and Cornette's girlfriend); so I can see why Cornette hates him. Much like Batista, however, he still pushed him hard, because he realized (and has said so) that Brock was a natural, had a great look, and the potential was obviously there. Cornette's an opinionated guy, but I find that he is often more right than wrong.

Steen's certainly known to have attitude problems (I have heard ROH people say that sort of stuff), and he is definitely far too fat to be big in the WWE or to a mainstream audience. Fat guy in bike shorts -- meh. I haven't watched him perform, as I tend to stay away from ROH, but I have heard people (fans) who do watch ROH and whose judgment I trust, say pretty bad things about him as a performer. Not really all that into him, but that's prejudice, I acknowledge that.

You should find Cornette's rant on Batista. He said when he came in he was so green that the only thing Afa ever taught him was how to sign a check. He said Batista couldnt sell a punch and was too frail and steroid up for work. He was so limited they had to give him a supernatural gimmick. He can draw money as an attraction but he lacked the ability and drive.

Jim Cornette threatened to shoot Brock one time after Brock took liberties with Jim's wife in the ring.

Allystare, you should watch some Kevin Steen matches. He has real charisma and star power (if more recently his style has become much more brawling) he can work. He can be lazy no question but he can also be truely great. His work with Generico and SCUM was some of the best work in pro wrestling id seen in forever. Honestly, if you can get through the accent I think he is a great promo guy too.

What great Kevin Steen matches would you recommend for people like Allystare?

I just saw Super Dragon Vs Kevin Steen from PWG's Astonishing X-Mas (im trying to get into PWG and work my way through the back catalog) and fuck its good. His tag work with El Generico who MIGHT be sami zayn currently in the WWE is some of the best tag work of his generation.

Dario
    Is Kevin Steen too fat for a WWE Contract?

Id say YES even though it makes me sad. I love Steen and he would have been ECW Champion in a heartbeat back in the day. He just doesnt have the WWE skillset.

Don't forget that Clay guy either...

Its a bit different then all that.

Bray Wyatt and Brodus Clay are both legit 6 footers and Steen isnt. Steen isnt some kind of giant monster.

Dont misunderstand. I'm a Kevin Steen fan, I just dont think he is what the WWE is looking for.

What great Kevin Steen matches would you recommend for people like Allystare?

I just saw Super Dragon Vs Kevin Steen from PWG's Astonishing X-Mas (im trying to get into PWG and work my way through the back catalog) and fuck its good. His tag work with El Generico who MIGHT be sami zayn currently in the WWE is some of the best tag work of his generation.
    Kevin Steen vs Samoa Joe is another good one from PWG. As for El Generico being Sami Zayn? El Generico had to go back to Mexico to take care of the orphans and Sami Zayn is just one hell of a talented Canadian. Not sure how you got them two mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by cultofpersonality View Post
    Kevin Steen vs Samoa Joe is another good one from PWG. As for El Generico being Sami Zayn? El Generico had to go back to Mexico to take care of the orphans and Sami Zayn is just one hell of a talented Canadian. Not sure how you got them two mixed up.
    Yeah they just have a similar build, I get confused sometimes.

Generico vs Steen (Mask vs. Leave Town) at Final Battle 2010 was such a great match but I feel that you would have to watch a couple of their tag matches as a team and probably Kevin Steen vs. El Generico ROH Hate: Chapter II before you sit down for it. In Fact I lied. Pretty much find the entire Kevin Steen Descent into Madness and watch it in order.

Oliver
    I don't think Steen is good enough to wrestle in WWE. Not because he's too fat, not because he's too short, but because he just isn't a good enough wrestler. Steen's very best matches are his brawls around the ring, the ones that go long, and the gimmick matches - street fights, ladder matches etc. I simply can't see him in WWE because he wouldn't be able to hold down a 5-7 midcard wrestling match.

makeo
    Not sure entirely to what extent I agree with that. I think the fact he's a short, fat, non "cosmetically pleasing" brawler is the main factor. I think he can wrestle a wwe standard mid card match when he wants. He just doesn't as brawler works better for him where he's booked atm.

If, buts and maybes, however Kevin Steen in a better body/look( I dunno, DH Smith's for example) would be capable of wwe mid card for me.

That's not reality though, so like others such as Kingston or Jay Briscoe, I just enjoy them, and am glad I can see them in other places.
    Last edited by makeo; 02-17-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I don't think Steen is good enough to wrestle in WWE. Not because he's too fat, not because he's too short, but because he just isn't a good enough wrestler.
    Yes, he is. Just because he changed his style the last few years doesn't mean he can't change it back to fit what he would need to do in WWE.

I'm surprised that we are having this discussion now; I had heard a few months ago that William Regal had brought Steen's name up to WWE. Personally I think, if he trims the wait down just a tad or becomes more muscular and less flabby, he could be a player in WWE. From what I've seen he can go in the ring, and he certainly seemed to have some personality during the whole S.C.U.M./Wrestling's Worst Nightmare angle from not too long ago (unless we are giving Jimmy Jacobs and Steve Corino more credit than him). I don't know if he's a world champion, but he can have a solid career in WWE if he eventually lands there.

I watch his Kevin Steen shows when he does the Colt Cabana thing when I can and I really enjoy his personality and charisma.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I don't think Steen is good enough to wrestle in WWE. Not because he's too fat, not because he's too short, but because he just isn't a good enough wrestler. Steen's very best matches are his brawls around the ring, the ones that go long, and the gimmick matches - street fights, ladder matches etc. I simply can't see him in WWE because he wouldn't be able to hold down a 5-7 midcard wrestling match.

Also, if you think Kevin Steen lacks technical ability check out Kevin Steen vs. Bryan Danielson from Eye of the Storm in 08 (13 minutes of pure mat wrestling after they had both already wrestled 10 minute matches with other people earlier in the night. The Winner would go on to wrestle another match for the Number 1 Contendership) or either of the Kevin Steen vs. Nigel McGuinness for the ROH title back in 08 when he was really Mr. Wrestling. Its a bit of a tongue in cheek nickname now but he can chain wrestle, reverse holds and make it look good when he wants to.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 02-17-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Kevin Owens

Great video of WWE's cameras following Owens around on Sunday and he gives an emotional interview backstage after the Cena match. He calls out Cornette by name and is former trainer for saying he could never get there. It's good stuff.

Since he's pretty much on three wrestling shows a week now, he might as well get his own thread.

He'll be transitioning to the main roster as soon as he should, something I'm glad about.

Also gotta dig the shoutout to Owen Hart with the name Owens.

Minor Spoilers to follow:

Owens defends his NXT title in an open challenge on Main Event, and Heath Slater answers it. I for one an tired of the jobbers accepting the open challenges. I would like to see another match like the Neville/Owens match. They have history, and it made sense that he came out to accept on RAW. But I would want Owens' open challenge to be less jobber, and more prestige. Like if Ziggler, Henry, any member of New Day, Cesaro, or even Barrett, or maybe even a surprise return of Jericho answers the challenge. That way, it builds up the kayfabe credibility of the NXT title as well as continually making Owens look strong.

its fucking main event. chill..plus if someone like a Slater comes up and hangs with a guy like Owens or Cena in an open challenge then his stock is raised.

I

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Minor Spoilers to follow:

Owens defends his NXT title in an open challenge on Main Event, and Heath Slater answers it. I for one an tired of the jobbers accepting the open challenges. I would like to see another match like the Neville/Owens match. They have history, and it made sense that he came out to accept on RAW. But I would want Owens' open challenge to be less jobber, and more prestige. Like if Ziggler, Henry, any member of New Day, Cesaro, or even Barrett, or maybe even a surprise return of Jericho answers the challenge. That way, it builds up the kayfabe credibility of the NXT title as well as continually making Owens look strong.
    kayfabe wise, you can argue Slater is on the main roster, therefore he should be able to beat anyone in developmental because developmental is not good enough to make the main roster. It's like a AAA pitcher striking out a MLB player.

Goldberg Rules!
    Or you trying to outwit me.

Why would I try to out wit TO? Dude is a legend!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    its fucking main event. chill..plus if someone like a Slater comes up and hangs with a guy like Owens or Cena in an open challenge then his stock is raised.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    kayfabe wise, you can argue Slater is on the main roster, therefore he should be able to beat anyone in developmental because developmental is not good enough to make the main roster. It's like a AAA pitcher striking out a MLB player.
    But Slater has been a joke for years. So has Ryder. They get slapped around and crushed in a glorified squash match. They serve a purpose for the beginnings of a guy like Ryback or Wyatt upon their debuts. But when Owens debuts, powerbombs Cena, and then BEATS Cena clean, no one, not even the little kiddies who still think its real, believe that a guy like Slater has a shot against Owens. But a guy like Ziggler or Ryback or Cesaro, yes they believe.

On Main Event though... I mean when I was a kid, and if a wrestler beat someone more credible than the Brooklyn Brawler or Red Rooster on Superstars, that was a HUGE deal, and it only happened like once a year.

Agreed. But back 20 years ago, they still had jobbers. On the originals RAWs, they didn't have Star A vs Star B. It was still Star A vs jobber B. In todays wrestling, Slater and Ryder are jobbers, but with more value.

How many times do we complain about watching Orton vs Sheamus. Both top tier talent and main event players. 20+ years ago, this didn't happen. Only in special occurrences.

So my point is, to keep Owens looking strong, and a viable threat to Cena, he needs to beat up on other people higher stature than Ryder or Slater. Cena's first US Open Challenge was against Dean Ambrose.

Hell, Owens could have faced Luke Harper. He is huge guy, and a guy that iwould be considered a threat to beating Owens. But when Owens beats him, it raises his kayfabe credibility. Beating Slater is pointless.

Agreed. But back 20 years ago, they still had jobbers. On the originals RAWs, they didn't have Star A vs Star B. It was still Star A vs jobber B. In todays wrestling, Slater and Ryder are jobbers, but with more value.

How many times do we complain about watching Orton vs Sheamus. Both top tier talent and main event players. 20+ years ago, this didn't happen. Only in special occurrences.

So my point is, to keep Owens looking strong, and a viable threat to Cena, he needs to beat up on other people higher stature than Ryder or Slater. Cena's first US Open Challenge was against Dean Ambrose.

Hell, Owens could have faced Luke Harper. He is huge guy, and a guy that iwould be considered a threat to beating Owens. But when Owens beats him, it raises his kayfabe credibility. Beating Slater is pointless.

On Smackdown on Raw, yes. But on Main Event, let the beat downs of Slater and Ryder continue! Honestly, we have too much star a vs. star b in wrestling today. I want jobbers back! Look how strong Ryback looked before the CM Punk feud. He barely beat anyone big, just squashed like 2 to 3 jobbers at a time. I'd rather see Owens squashing a jobber tag team than beating Harper. Save Harper and others for when he is US champion, and he is looking for feuds.

Then the WWE should allow Joe or Balor come to RAW to answer the Owens' open challenge. Only to lose by some sort of Dusty finish, protecting the title and still allowing the next NXT takeover match to remain intact.

Owens is going to drop the NXT title sooner than later to be a full time on the main roster. So why not allow the NXT title match get some footing, like the WWF did for ECW back in the late 90s early 00s.

As others have stated, you could even have Cena cost Owens the title. Keeps Owens strong, says he's done with the title anyway, and moves up to the main roster. Then with Joe's new contract, he could follow Owens up and they can have/continue their feud at SummerSlam.

So, if we take this viewpoint and another viewpoint, Kevin Owens shouldn't be fighting anyone clearly below him, but at the same time people say he should go over Cena clean again, making it two wins in a row.

Well that limits who KO can face. Orton? Lesnar? Rollins? Reigns? Ambrose? Anyone else is clearly a step down.

Then in two years when you are all tired of Owens because "ugh, Owens v Harper on Raw again!!!!"

Just let the guy wrestle who he is scheduled to wrestle and enjoy his career progression.

Goldberg Rules!
    No. That's not how this forum operates.

I just realized that the WWE may have painted themselves into a corner with Kevin Owens. Owens pinned Cena cleanly in his debut match and then took Cena to a limit that almost no one else has in his entire career. Why is this a problem? Simply because Owens is still the NXT champion. While we all agree that Owens will eventually lose the NXT title to Joe, Balor, or someone else, then that person who beats Owens has to do it with some sort of outside interference, or Dusty finish. Otherwise, then what is being said is that the wrestler who beats Owens is better than Cena.

Simple logic. If NXT werstler > Owens > Cena, then NXT wrestler > Cena.

I think that Owens needs to lose the NXT title (and quickly), but Cena should intervene and cost Owens the title. This does a few things:

1. It allows the title to be taken off Owens, while still protecting him by not having him lose to someone well below Cena's stature after the 2 matches he just had with the top guy in the business.
    2. It protects the wrestler who beats Owens by not having this wrestler do something that Cena couldn't do at first, and then took one of Cena's best efforts to do.
    3. It sets up Owens and Cena's blow off match at SummerSlam for the US title, where Owens should win and take the US title from Cena.

Super Moderator
    Balor is going to pin Owens clean in Tokyo. He's a gigantic star there and it doesn't hurt Owens to lose one match even if the person, in the hierarchy of pro wrestling, is "below" him.

Owens will probably miss something and set up the Coup de GrÔs.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I just realized that the WWE may have painted themselves into a corner with Kevin Owens. Owens pinned Cena cleanly in his debut match and then took Cena to a limit that almost no one else has in his entire career. Why is this a problem? Simply because Owens is still the NXT champion. While we all agree that Owens will eventually lose the NXT title to Joe, Balor, or someone else, then that person who beats Owens has to do it with some sort of outside interference, or Dusty finish. Otherwise, then what is being said is that the wrestler who beats Owens is better than Cena.

Simple logic. If NXT werstler > Owens > Cena, then NXT wrestler > Cena.

I think that Owens needs to lose the NXT title (and quickly), but Cena should intervene and cost Owens the title. This does a few things:

1. It allows the title to be taken off Owens, while still protecting him by not having him lose to someone well below Cena's stature after the 2 matches he just had with the top guy in the business.
    2. It protects the wrestler who beats Owens by not having this wrestler do something that Cena couldn't do at first, and then took one of Cena's best efforts to do.
    3. It sets up Owens and Cena's blow off match at SummerSlam for the US title, where Owens should win and take the US title from Cena.
    There's a precedent of stripping an NXT title from someone when they get a main roster title, they did it with Paige. If Owens' new stated goal is the US title, as he says in his sit down interview this week, they could just pull that cord again and we have a tournament for the next champion, with the finals (maybe the semis as well) on the next Takeover when Owens takes the US strap.

I'm with the above, though - Balor goes over Owens in Tokyo, gets a bonkers pop for it, and Owens goes to the main roster full time.