Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kevin Owens

The Brain
    I'm all for that! The thing is, I think guys like Cena and Owens who can handle the longer promos would still be just as good if not better with the short ones. Maximize your time!

That Terry Taylor story is one of the ones I always tell people about Flair, it never really gets old. I do agree Flair had a handful of good matches in the 00s, but he had some real stinkers too, even well before WCW closed. Fair play if you don't want to count his post prime against him though.

With regards to the promos, it isn't just the time length (though obviously that is a big part of it). It's the awful, atrocious, 3rd rate high school play, Vince's out-of-touch robotic corporate speak that they script into everyone's dialogue. It's completely inauthentic and galaxy levels of cringe. No one can get over with that, or get people engaged into their characters and narratives with that kind of stuff. It's impossible. That's the biggest turn-off and worst thing about wrestling today, and the most 'uncool' thing about it. I no longer show wrestling to my friends, particularly Raw, because I know at some point someone is going to read one of those awful promos, and I'll be red-faced, and I'll have to be all like 'Oh, sorry, how did we end up on this channel, I meant to watch something else.

---------

I don't really count *anyone's* post-prime against them. I prefer of course that people gracefully step away from the business with their health, but if they really love the business and want to stick around, as long as they aren't given spots incommensurate to their age/diminishing abilities, I'm fine with that. To me, it's just old-timers having some fun. That's how I view, for instance, when Terry Funk still wrestles, or Jerry Lawler still wrestles. Or NJPW old timer battle royale they do every single year.

I just want to see something like this on WWE TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKMODAb2Ajg

This was a fucking app interview and it was damn fire.

To bring it back to Owens with another one - check out this. This is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7vW01ho1TE

This is also good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY-y7bmMLmo

Squared
    I like those a lot. Might have to start blaming Vince again rather than talent.

The Owens stuff is great. The Dolph one could do with refocusing on the story rather than on 'Dolph being held back' but there's no denying the talent in there. I love the details in the Owens stuff though - the little nod to Titus O'Neill's strength is great work. That we shit through so much shit and that is tucked away is a crime. Not a surprise though - pretty much every decent promo I've seen in the past couple of years was on Talking Smack. Though Heyman still brings it, because he knows how to make it work.

@lopprimetime

Super Moderator
    Kevin Owens cuts a lot of laying down promos.

I think my favourite thing he did is constantly get Tom Phillips' name wrong. There was also one where the backstage interview changed and he demanded the old backstage interview who he'd previously said he hated.

Oh, and another KO/Tom Phillips thing - they did something on a Survivor Series kick off and Owens said that Phillips' iPad password was '6969' then called him disgusting.

The Brain
    I love weird interviewer interactions like that. Reminds me of Demolition always calling Gene Okerlund "Howard".

Squared
    Where does KO (and maybe Zayn too) go once this whole angle with Shane/D-Bry comes to an end?

@lopprimetime

Apparently into the main event by the looks of it Prime. I mean normally a feud with a McMahon means you are a pretty big deal. What are the chances he manages to get the title at The Rumble or do you think Shane could potentially screw him and (funnily enough given water was happening in the lead to Mania last year) help AJ Styles hold onto his belt and Mania spot?

Squared
    I wouldn't be surprised by the latter at all. And you could make a fairly decent story out of that just in the contrast between Styles and Owens, about the development of a mutual respect between AJ/Shane and how there's none there with KO.

I do think AJ is holding the title at Mania and KO is probably going to still be dealing with the McMahons come March.

@lopprimetime

The frustrating thing about the whole Shane v Owens thing is that they have already thrown the kitchen sink at each other at Hell in a Cell, what else is there left to do? They can't exactly have a normal wrestling match and I do not want to see Shane McMahon try and cheat death again by jumping off something even bigger.

You are completely correct. Owens vs Shane had their blow off match at HIAC, but maybe the Owens/Shane feud with Daniel Bryan in the mix is all setting up for Bryan's return to the ring at Mania against Shane?

We have all speculated, and I think that Bryan even said that if he doesn't have a match at Mania, then he will never wrestle for the WWE again, and will just wait out his contract. BUT what if this is all set up for Bryan's wrestling return? I know the WWE is trying to turn him heel, but even with his "support" of Owens and Zayn, and countering everyone of Shane's moves, Shane is still seeming like the heel to the audience. Even AJ Styles in his interview didn't blame Bryan for him giving him the handicapped match, since it was Styles' idea.

I wouldn't say it is not happening, but I also wouldn't say that it was, but Bryan vs Shane at Mania is a possibility.

Squared
    Seen something about Owens working Hurt. Nothing especially newsworthy there of course. He is expected to work the Rumble but is dealing with a back problem and if you buy into what you read there is some genuine concern there. Don't be surprised if he has a few weeks of just talking afterwards, I guess.

@lopprimetime

I kind of assume everyone is working hurt nowadays.

Shame if true though. At least with Owens just talking he's got the promo chops to keep us invested.

Squared
    I saw Forbes, no less, we're running a story about how putting Zayn and Owens together as a team and running them so strongly with the authority figures has had a negative impact on the Smackdown ratings. The theory was that even though they were entertaining, it's for the good of the show to split them now.

Personally I don't agree, and think that the solution is less Shane. But of course, that ain't happening.

@lopprimetime

I think Zayn is a horrible heel. Looks like he's trying way too hard.

The Brain
    Definitely a case where the writing seems much worse than the talent. Then again, I almost always think that about WWE.

I think Sami is doing a good job with what he's given. He's good at being annoying.. Its just I think the writing/booking has let Sami and Kevin down. They feel like a midcard act because they're not serious enough and beyond the Hell in a cell beginning, it took them way too long to be the focus of the show cause Jinder had to be champion. Now, people are tired of it because its the same shit every week (and imo because Shane has been a terrible face in this, pitted against Bryan and these two.. its just botched badly)

They're fighting an uphill battle, in all honesty, when they're 4th and 5th fiddle in the main event scene behind Shane, Bryan, and AJ. Pretty tough to get the space to be noticed there, and as mizfan says the writing is absolutely killing them.

If WWE are really building to Shane Vs Bryan, I guess it might be OK (I mean it won't because jeez, if you're bring Bryan back to in ring action for THAT...) but if they aren't going to let Bryan get physical at the end of this they'll have essentially made his beef with Shane the prime story on Smackdown only to never have the ability to really pay it off.

Unless, of course, they do something like Owens and Sami with Bryan in their corner Vs Team Shane with Shane in theirs. That's the only end game I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    They're fighting an uphill battle, in all honesty, when they're 4th and 5th fiddle in the main event scene behind Shane, Bryan, and AJ. Pretty tough to get the space to be noticed there, and as mizfan says the writing is absolutely killing them.

If WWE are really building to Shane Vs Bryan, I guess it might be OK (I mean it won't because jeez, if you're bring Bryan back to in ring action for THAT...) but if they aren't going to let Bryan get physical at the end of this they'll have essentially made his beef with Shane the prime story on Smackdown only to never have the ability to really pay it off.

Unless, of course, they do something like Owens and Sami with Bryan in their corner Vs Team Shane with Shane in theirs. That's the only end game I can see.
    Yeah that's another big issue.. I don't really fantasy book, not gonna try here but I would have went in a different direction with KO and Sami after taking down Shane. Not had it involve Bryan really and somehow get it to a logical point where Sami is out of control and KO turns face because of it, trying to help his friend... I've always wanted to see Sami and KO flip roles though...

At this point, if you're not doing something with KO,Sami, Shane and Bryan in something... its a waste.. and if this is leading to heel KO against Face Sami... as much as i love them wrestling, I don't want it.