Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Owens

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Balor is going to pin Owens clean in Tokyo. He's a gigantic star there and it doesn't hurt Owens to lose one match even if the person, in the hierarchy of pro wrestling, is "below" him.

Owens will probably miss something and set up the Coup de GrÔs.
    How the hell does Balor not hurt people with the double foot stomp off the top rope?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    How the hell does Balor not hurt people with the double foot stomp off the top rope?
    He probably shoot weighs 180 lbs; he crumbles when he hits the guy; I think he lands in such a way, in a squat position, that most of his weight is still falling on his ass when his feet connect; it'd fucking suck to take anyway.

It's just one of those moves that'd probably be lame to take.

I'm actually quite surprised that he's never broken an ankle on it. The human body isn't exactly a stable surface to land on.

EDIT: Pop-up Powerbomb reversed into the bent over double foot stomp, please.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 06-18-2015 at 01:51 PM.

I'm surprised that he hasn't broken someone's ribs, let alone his own ankles.

But this is how I see it: Owens goes for his moonsault, misses, Balor hits the Coup de GrÔs. I think that you have to keep the pop-up powerbomb out of the match. Meaning, that Owen's doesn't get the chance to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Pop-up Powerbomb reversed into the bent over double foot stomp, please.
    Yes please. I have a feeling that match is going to tear the roof off the place, even more than it usually would.

I don't see the problem of Owens dropping it clean to Balor when Balor will be big star himself. When he comes up, he can face off with Cena or Owens can attack him..it keeps the NXT title stronger if he beats owens clean too.

Edit: Japan is a respectful crowd, while Balor is a huge star there We can't expect the same american reaction. it will build if the match is great.

Super Moderator
    I'm surprised that he hasn't broken someone's ribs, let alone his own ankles.

But this is how I see it: Owens goes for his moonsault, misses, Balor hits the Coup de GrÔs. I think that you have to keep the pop-up powerbomb out of the match. Meaning, that Owen's doesn't get the chance to use it.
    Why can't you reverse it? He's already had a powerbomb attempt reversed once by Dolph Ziggler of all people who popped up for a standing Famouser, stopped him cold and hit a sunset.

That move would look great and be Balor's highlight reel moment. Unfortunate as it may be for KO, this moment is about crowning Finn Balor in front of an audience for whom he is already a Superstar. It's not about Owens, and Owens knows this and I have no doubt will be happy to do the honours clean and make Finn look great.

You have to remember, this is airing at like 6:00 a.m. on a Saturday. Sure, it's available on demand but it's not like we're getting one of the WWE's highest-rated Network shows ever, here. The vast majority of WWE's audience won't see most of this match (other than some highlights on NXT and, presumably, Raw to explain why he doesn't have the belt). Owens will lose clean in what will probably be an off the charts match, then go waltz right in to Raw and murder someone, all cranky because he lost.

Owens has been, and will be, protected but this match is about making the next guy in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I don't see the problem of Owens dropping it clean to Balor when Balor will be big star himself. When he comes up, he can face off with Cena or Owens can attack him..it keeps the NXT title stronger if he beats owens clean too.

Edit: Japan is a respectful crowd, while Balor is a huge star there We can't expect the same american reaction. it will build if the match is great.
    Have you watched some of Finn's work in Japan? He can usually pull a reaction from the crowd. The real problem is that he was one of the most hated heels in Japan when he left. He is a legit draw and him going for a title will act as a draw but dont expect him to get a clean face pop.

I hope we get to see a real Bloody Sunday. not the reversed one he keeps going for and rarely hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Have you watched some of Finn's work in Japan? He can usually pull a reaction from the crowd. The real problem is that he was one of the most hated heels in Japan when he left. He is a legit draw and him going for a title will act as a draw but dont expect him to get a clean face pop.

I hope we get to see a real Bloody Sunday. not the reversed one he keeps going for and rarely hits.
    Sara, as with any star who leaves a promotion (country in this case) who is a heel, when they make their return that are treated and cheered as a huge returning hero until they do something dastardly. Like Sheamus' most recent return. He was cheered tremendously, until he kicked Ziggler's (or was it Bryan's?) head off. Batista was cheered, and when he left, he was a hated heel, got AAed through the stage, then came into the ring in a wheelchair and quit., but upon his return, he was cheered.

Balor may have been a huge heel, but he will be cheered, because he is returning and the fans want to see him.
    Last edited by Powder; 06-18-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Squared
    Not really a lot in here since Owens has got up to the main roster.

I think he's done pretty well, all in all, and made himself an important part of the company. I'd say he's a better fit for Smackdown, so moving him across in 2016 has worked well. I'm generally not a fan of anything involving the McMahons anymore but Owens seems to be one of the few characters who can genuinely pull that kind of stuff off.

The Brain
    I have to be honest, besides his stuff involving Sami Zayn I haven't really liked most of his matches since joining the main roster, BUT he remains a compelling personality and I'm usually drawn into whatever story he's involved in when I do watch, which is arguably a much more valuable skill.

He reminds me a lot of how Jake Roberts was. I wasn't watching through his stuff, but when looking back, you can see how he would be able to get you to overlook the simpleness of his matches/story. He was a phenomenal wrestler. But he learned real quick how to work smart.

Owens is a character. One who can go with anyone. But doesn't need to every show because you don't watch him simply to see him wrestle. There is a reason he's considered one of the best. When he needs to go to the 100%, he can. When his opponent can't keep up, he can make you care without wrestling. Great really. Someone a lot of young wrestlers should study.

His stuff with Shane was top fucking notch.

I think that's a pretty good point there, Mourn - Owens has worked so many different types of guys and got something from them since going to the main roster. Sure, when he gets someone who he knows he can go full fire with he's capable of greatness, but when he gets someone beneath the top level he's working to their abilities as much as he is to his to deliver something watchable. It's hard to pick a disappointing match from him since his promotion (and even since his NXT times).

I couldn't stand Kevin Steen as a wrestler. But Kevin Owens is one of my favourites. Kind of odd.

The Brain
    We're on opposite sides of this one Ollie, I can definitely think of more Steen matches than Owens matches I've liked. I do get your take on the difference between those two characters though. As for a disappointing match, I was honestly very unenthused about his matches with Cena, but I also know I was massively in the minority on that one.

Squared
    I'm with you guys. Not the biggest fan of his matches. Think they show a lot of what is wrong with contemporary wrestling, wherever you pick them from his career. But he does sell a personality better than almost anyone you might care to name, and since almost everyone else has the same kind of problems in the ring you have to find the good where you can find it.

The Brain
    Yeah, and in the right scenario his matches can still be good. There was a stretch where he was killing it in the ring, mostly with Sami or in multi-man matches (also involving Sami). That fourway with Miz, Cesaro, and Sami is still my favorite WWE match in years.

Squared
    As you mentioned him in the HHH thread as a potential opponent there, I thought I'd bring it across here - where next for Kevin Owens? What's the likely scenario for him going into 2018 and through to Wrestlemania?

Apparently Owens and Zayn have been sent home from the U.K. tour after dodging a beatdown from The New Day. Could be a big issue on the cards.

Squared
    The more I read about it, the bigger it sounds. Can imagine a parting of the ways. Sounds like they aren't happy and the company aren't happy with them either.

Losing K.O. would be a blow. They don't have many who get heat like he does.

what the hell?

I'd be the first guy speculating if I thought there was a chance these two were leaving; there's absolutely no chance in hell they're leaving. I buy that this whole thing is real and that there's some unhappiness there (likely caused by the issues between WWE and close Zayn/Owens friends Neville and Jimmy Jacobs), but come on. Zayn is getting the biggest push he's ever gotten in WWE and Owens was just saying on that Edge and Christian podcast a few weeks ago how good he thought things were going. This is either a minor setback that will blow over or it's something being blown out of proportion that we'll learn wasn't a big deal in a few days.

I mean if its true, its unprofessional sure but I think its more to just cool off than an actual punishment. KO sells alot of merch, they're not gonna get fired over something like this unless it becomes a pattern.

Squared
    Well, what I read suggested it was a pattern. This was just the first time it's been significant enough to reach the public eye.

I am not saying I expect a split. More that, I wouldn't be surprised now. If they are getting a rep for being 'difficult' then it puts a new spin on a few things.

Meltzer is saying that KO wasn't on the bus where he supposdly was complaining.. that its strictly about going off script.

Squared
    I didn't catch much of the additional details so don't know much about that. But to be honest, I don't see a public display like this happening in complete isolation.

I'm not saying that it is an isolated case. At the same time, I hope when these sources say people seem unhappy backstage they don't twist someone actually questioning what their character does. They said Aries seemed unhappy, he goes on Jericho's podcast and says he didn't want to leave WWE but that they told him they didn't have anything for him after the Neville feud...he suggested other things, and they wern't interested.

Anyway, I think we'll get more details over the week but if they're not involved at Survivor Series, Then i'd be more worried.

Squared
    Yeah. It doesn't sound terminal at the moment. It raises the possibility is all. If there's more of a hangover the likelihood increases.

Any chance it's all a work? Owens had family issues that kept him off the Chile tour but was immediately back on TV, so it's not entirely unlike WWE to grant him leave from a tour. Add to that that they're running a storyline where they're dissatisfied with Shane running Smackdown and it all lends these rumours a storyline kind of air with them coming out in the way they have.

Considering they're booked for a match against New Day next Tuesday, it doesn't seem serious at all. All together, it just makes me wonder whether WWE are just pulling tails a bit with this one - it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Squared
    Yeah, hadn't thought of that but you can't rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Any chance it's all a work? Owens had family issues that kept him off the Chile tour but was immediately back on TV, so it's not entirely unlike WWE to grant him leave from a tour. Add to that that they're running a storyline where they're dissatisfied with Shane running Smackdown and it all lends these rumours a storyline kind of air with them coming out in the way they have.

Considering they're booked for a match against New Day next Tuesday, it doesn't seem serious at all. All together, it just makes me wonder whether WWE are just pulling tails a bit with this one - it certainly wouldn't be the first time.
    They're going to take two of their most notable Smackdown stars off a pretty big tour just to work people? Without commenting on it at all on the website? Come on guys. This is real. It's just not a massive crisis is all.

It's only a theory - I didn't want to be 'that guy' about it, but I take a lot of what comes from backstage WWE sources with a pinch of salt.

Neither of them has been doing significant things on the tour card. Owens is taking losses to Nakamura, Zayn's the third wheel in a Corbin and Sin Cara featuring triple threat. I doubt anybody is going to throw their ticket away, or not buy a ticket now, because the two of them aren't appearing.

The Brain
    I think it's possible that it's a work. WWE gets on weird kicks of trying to get people with "worked shoot" nonsense. My instinct says it's real and I don't know what the consequences of that would be, but at this point it's really anyone's guess how this will play out.

Squared
    I guess we'll get our first real indication of where they stand tonight.

It's funny, when I was thinking about it afterwards it occurred to me that the main reason I thought you might get a split is that it's these two guys. I could see the company being upset with them about it, but I had far greater visions of them walking out than being fired. I know there's all kinds of reasons that would make that unlikely on paper, but honestly, I don't have a hard time thinking of them as guys who would cut off their nose to spite their face. Maybe that's unfair to them, I don't know, but I guess I'd kinda thought that about them deep down for a while and this has just brought that home to me.

Tonight may not be a good judge of KO and Zayn's status, as they are clearly going to beat the New Day. As you probably have read, the RAW is supposed to invade Smackdown tonight, led by Reigns and the Shield. So the Shield will return the favor to the New Day and cost them their match against KO and Zayn.

I would wait until after Survivor Series for this to truly be addressed. Unless all is forgiven and KO and Zayn do something (kayfably) drastic like: The Smackdown men are about to win the 5 on 5 match, but then KO and Zayn run in to cause them to lose. They explain it away on the following Tuesday are retribution to leaving them off the PPV. Gets them even more heat from the crowd, and they become the two top heels on the brand, if they are not that already.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I don't have a hard time thinking of them as guys who would cut off their nose to spite their face.
    Any idea where this impression comes from? I'm mulling it over and not sure if it's wrong or right. Wondering if there are specific things leading you down this train of thought or just a general impression.

Squared
    I'm not really sure, to be honest. I'd struggle to point to a specific instance that has made me think of it, so yeah, it probably is more of a general impression. Not really sure where it's come from either.

I would wait until after Survivor Series for this to truly be addressed. Unless all is forgiven and KO and Zayn do something (kayfably) drastic like: The Smackdown men are about to win the 5 on 5 match, but then KO and Zayn run in to cause them to lose. They explain it away on the following Tuesday are retribution to leaving them off the PPV. Gets them even more heat from the crowd, and they become the two top heels on the brand, if they are not that already.
    That SS scenario seems logical, to be honest - they both have a grievance with Shane, and making him lose the match which is set to make him bigger than his sister is an easy call to get. You then build to Owens/Zayn vs Shane/??? at either the next Smackdown event or the Rumble if you want to keep Shane as an 'attraction' guy. They can even do it without the brand losing, just have them be the cause of Shane's elimination.

Imagine if they cleared Bryan in the midst of this and we got Owens/Zayn vs Shane/Bryan.

KO/Zayn vs Shane and a newly cleared Bryan. That would be AWESOME.

Then after Bryan loses his ring rust, he goes after the Miz for everything.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    You then build to Owens/Zayn vs Shane/??? at either the next Smackdown event or the Rumble if you want to keep Shane as an 'attraction' guy.
    Even odds it'll just be Triple H, since he's clearly got a big desire to be back in the ring right now.

WWE will NEVER clear Daniel Bryan.

Nor should they. If they do, and something unlikely happens to him, they lose deniability. Kinda shitty only because if you listen to Bryan he probably should have never even retired with the lesion being overblown.

I could see KO vs Triple H at mania

Squared
    I was under the impression that Bryan had become a lot less defiant on that and had accepted his condition more. Either way, never coming back to WWE.

Trips as the great avenging babyface is an interesting proposition. Though he can only pull it off for short stints. Post Rumble to Wrestlemania it could work.

@lopprimetime