Thread: Faith: A Wrestlers Forgiveness

Faith: A Wrestlers Forgiveness

“For God did not send his Son to condemn the world, but to save the world through him”- John 3:17

As he stood by heaven's gate, Eddie knew that his time of eternal life was about to begin. Golden gates swing open and beckon him to his new future, one of blessing, love, and grace. He was not a perfect man, but no one individual shall ever get that satisfaction of true perfectionism. As Eddie walks in, thoughts rush in his head back to the time where for him, it was truly the darkest before the dawn....

Drugs. The word sends a chilling whispering shiver down my spine. The vice that has destroyed families, ruined lives, and killed people had gotten to Mr. Latino Heat. Except it did not just pull him in, but chocked away any sense of happiness he once had. Soon, his life was full of something he did not need. His life was slipping away into a despair of nothingness that was soon to be too late to be forgivable. Eddie knew that in order for his immoral digression to be dammed, salvation was gratefully needed. One night, that vice lost to T-he Truth, The Way, and The Light. The glory that was and is Jesus Christ.

Going back to the quote I mentioned earlier, it really is an embodiment of the Truth. Too many Christians nowadays do not practice what they preach, and therefore are false in their way. One clear example of this is Hilary Clinton, who deviously lies to the people of this country, and couldn’t care less about the poor. Eddie eventually knew through his night of reading that if he got on his knees and confessed his transgressions, he would be forgiven by the entity whose opinion matters the most. He quietly spoke the words that God wanted him to utter: ' Jesus, your love and compassion burns with the clearest example of dying on the cross to pay the price for the sins of the world. Lord, I have done some bad things, drove away my la familia, and got fired from my passion. Jesus, as a humbled human, look upon me with favor, and save me from the evils of the world. Please, be my savior!” Instantly, he felt cleansed of his wrong, and now it was time for retribution and time to get back to God's plan for him.

With that, Mr. Guerrero started to live a simple life. He prayed, read, and trained. Many a man would have given up for not getting blessed right away. However, Eddie knew that God was building patience in him for God knew that WWE was not going to push him to the top right away. Eddie had messed up before, and Vince needed to see that dedication and work ethic in order to trust him with the ultimate prize. With that, March 2002 was the beginning of Eddie's redemption.

Slowly but surly, Eddie gained the trust of Management not only by remaining clean, but with good performances inside the ring. Soon enough, his ultimate fate beckoned him to love. You see, Vickie( Eddie's Wife) could not stand by and see him self destruct like a nothing man. So, with tears in her corneas, she left, always praying that Eddie would turn a corner to ultimate retribution. When hearing of his new found Christianity, the bonds of live were made into matrimony between Eddie and Vickie once more. But this is not to say Eddie did not deal with his challenges on the way to Hall Of Fame status. The biggest example I can give is the Lie, Cheat, and Steal tag team with his nephew Chavo. To say that Eddie vehemently disliked the idea of this character is an understatement. However with the Blessing of God, he formed one of the most entertaining teams WWE has ever seen.
    February 15th, 2004, was the day that redemption became Eddie's honor to Grasp. Putting on a 30 minute underrated classic with Brock Lesnar, he won the ultimate worldly symbol of blessing from his passion, The WWE Championship. Tears swept his eyes over the next few days as he celebrated this blessing from God, as he knew knew his life had become full circle. Standing in the back after his match, He with love in his eyes called his wife Vickie and thanked her for being there for him, even in silence during the darkness. Most importantly, he knew that no matter how tough things got, God would always be there.

The thing that impresses me the most about Eddie is that even when he lost the title to the man we know as John Layfield, he still managed to put on great matches and feuds with real-life friends and with other wrestlers in the company as well. Not once during that last year and a half of his time on the planet we call home did he stop caring about the fans. People often wonder why he was put into the Hall Of Fame only six months after The Father took him to his Heavenly Kingdom. An answer to this is quite simple: Eddie loved the business, putting on a show every single night. He was a symbol that demons can be beaten and that life can return to a state and betterness and happiness. Even as we still miss him dearly, we know he is in a better place, and will be with God forever.

Eddie, you may have never met me, but I want you to know how much your story meant to me. It was a true symbolism of forgiveness, and giving your heart to Jesus. The fans were always the most important earthly thing to you, and that will never falter. Even with the constant pain you had in your last year, it never stopped you from living out your dreams. Rest in Piece Mr. Guerrero.

Eddie Guerrero, a true man of forgiveness and honor 1967-2005.

While this is a nice, well written tribute, there is way too much religion in it for me. You can write a fitting tribute to anyone without the use of religion.

Eddie was a Born-Again Christian, so in my view, it wouldn't make sense without it. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by the prodogy View Post
    Eddie was a Born-Again Christian, so in my view, it wouldn't make sense without it. But that's just me.
    So it Sting and HBK, and you are saying you could't write a tribute about them with out mentioning that aspect of their lives?

instead of bashing me for discussing someone's faith, could you tell me how I could improve my writing?

I am not bashing at all. If I came across that way I apologize, wasn't my intent. I was just stating that the column was good, but too much religion for me. And I think that tribute columns about athletes, wrestlers, actors, etc, can and should be written about their body of work and contributions to the respective businesses, without religion.
    Last edited by Powder; 05-28-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Hey man how would I move this to the column section?

I personally think it is fine to make this column with a religious slant, mainly because Eddie is a very religious man and he would agree to a tribute like this. Although I find it heavy handed in some small parts, overall it is a valid stylistic approach particularly when Eddie is a Christian and a proud one who has mentioned faith as his main reason for his life's turn around.

If I were to do it, the religious part will be toned down a lot more, but since religion has always been part of his real life persona, I guess this is kind of palatably readable. My suggestion would have been to really dig into his beliefs as a small conflict between his faith and the character on screen. A Christian but advocating lie, cheat, steal? I remember Eddie liking his character and enjoying the portrayal. What about his younger days? He has always been a Christian, so why was taking drugs when he is younger?

I have written many Christian theme columns here in LOP CF, and I don't shy away from difficult questions on faith. I did hope to see a shade of that here when the introduction pulled me in, but it is a straight up column on the good that Jesus did. For non Christians, it might be a bit hard to swallow- is this about Eddie, or about Jesus? Maybe both?

I like this column, but I think many might have the same feelings as Powder here did.

Hey dude, this was a pretty good effort and I applaud you for taking this sort of angle in your piece as it was a major part of Eddie's life in his final years. While I am not overly religious anymore my teenage life had a lot of church in it and I have no trouble with your piece in that aspect. Others though would not be as acceptable to your piece. While the column was in its sense a good column and a vast improvement from some of your early work, this may have not been the best place to post it as it reads more like a Christianity forum piece than a wrestling forum piece even though they share topics between them. Think of the audience you are writing too, we are here to discuss wrestling. Other subjects are fine but the majority of your piece should have wrestling at it's base, get your message across but tailor it to meet the needs of the reader and you will go a lot further and reach more people.

I had read this the other day when it was posted, before writing my own recent one, and decided to just leave it be. Upon being asked to toss in my two cents, though, here I am.

The mechanics of it, meaning spelling and grammar and all that stuff, are much better than your previous efforts, prodogy. The extra bit of work you put in to in improve in these areas shows and I commend you for that.

Having said that, there were still some errors here and there. All that means is that you simply need to apply the same effort you did this time to your next one. Hard work pays off in regards to things like this and it will be reflected in the quality of your writing.

As to the content... I didn't care for it. I get that Eddie was a Christian and everything but this piece read as less of a tribute to Eddie and more, as Jacob pointed out, a column about Jesus. While that's all well and good and I my number one piece of advice for any columnist is to write for yourself moreso than what you think your audience wants to hear, this kind of column is inherently going to alienate a portion of the audience. If forced to label myself, which I despise, I'm somewhere between agnostic and atheist on the religion scale. To that end, I could care less about Eddie or your or anyone else's relationship with Jesus. I in no way mean to be insulting, but from my perspective you may as well have written about how much Eddie loved Santa Claus or Yoda or Liz Lemon.

I love Liz Lemon, for the record.

So from the standpoint of executing the column, you did well. Better than any previous effort you've put forth. That is worth pointing out and you deserve to be commended for it. Keep trying, keep improving, and it will inevitable result in your next column and the one after that and the one after that being increasingly better in that regard. I look forward to watching that progression.

From the standpoint of content, though, this did nothing for me. I get the feeling it was meant more as a personal tale, though, a testimony of sorts. So if it meant something to you to write it, well done. That should be of primary concern.

Just be aware, as mentioned, that writing things that are intensely personal to you and you alone will of course not appeal to a broad audience. Especially when writing about something as personal and potentially divisive as religion. Some will agree, some will disagree and still others, like myself, will just not really care a whole lot. Again, that isn't intended to be rude. It just is what it is.

Good luck with your next effort. If you plan to follow a similar thread, meaning incorporating religion into your work, I would strongly advise finding a more even tone. It is possible to include religious sentiment and make your point without it coming off as heavy handed and like you're preaching. Look at some of Jacob's previous efforts for proof of that.

^^^
    Listen to that.