Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AAA/CMLL/General Lucha Libre

Both will be transitonal champs.. if I was AAA, I'd be building Pentagon JR or Fantasma as your top rudo to take down Rey.... or even go back to the El Texano route.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    Fantasma, I'm telling you. He's like a luchador Randy Orton, but better. The money he can make as champion. Plus killing the legend of Rey Mysterio. It writes itself. Pentagon Jr. translates way better to American crowds and I also don't think he needs the belt as much. Though this is really awesome! http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2015/...-morning-show/

Has Vince McMahon Lost Confidence in Roman Reigns.

Fantasma can also speak really good english apparently, have no idea why he wasnt signed.

Yeah, like Del Rio, he's dad was a famous wrestler so I'm sure he received great education. Some though never learn English, even if they are second generation, but those that do can move up. And yeah, I think of LU, Fantasma is the one I'd focus on if I was WWE to sign. He's got everything. But if they want to miss out, then that's AAA's gain. I'd have him a champion and watch the money pour in. I believe in Fantasma that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    Fantasma can also speak really good english apparently, have no idea why he wasnt signed.
    Because of Lucha Underground. Unlike AAA, their contracts are legit and can't be thrown to the waste side. That's why WWE had to back off both Puma and Angelico when season two was confirmed. Until LU folds (which is hopefully never) or the contracts run out (and some of them run for seven seasons at least), WWE has to wait on guys like Fantasma. Which is fine by me; WWE likely wouldn't have any clue what to do with him any more than they do with the rest of their guys. Why let him get stuck in the middle of their mess when he can help LU and AAA become better?

The catch is that LU can let you go, and it seems like they are willing to do so. Also, the AAA talent isn't signed to LU, but rather on loan from AAA. I'm not sure of Fantasma's deal, but it sounds like he's signed to AAA and not LU. From what I understand, talent like Johnny Mundo, Cage, Ricochet and Mil Muertes are signed to LU, and Fenix, El Hijo del Fantasma, and Pentagon Jr. are signed to AAA and have LU loaner contracts. I could be wrong, but that was the understanding I got. In an interview, El Hijo del Fantasma said that AAA wanted him to go to LU, and they had a deal in place for him to go. My assumption was it's a loaner deal and LU pays AAA for El Hijo del Fantasma's service.

If that were the case, then WWE would already have several of the guys from LU. They wanted Angelico (an LU and AAA guy, and an important one at that), and if you believe reports, he, Puma/Ricochet and one other guy were targeted by WWE to come in as early as October. Then LU re-upped for a second season, and all of a sudden WWE couldn't get them. That right there leads me to believe that the contracts LU has with the AAA guys just aren't loaner deals. If they were, why did WWE stop pursuing Angelico? The only logical conclusion is that they couldn't get him because he was under an actual binding contract. And if he is, I have to imagine the rest of the AAA guys are as well; otherwise we'd be talking about WWE snagging one of them instead of La Sombra.

Reports were out this week that WWE is looking into LU and ROH guys. My guess is that they think Angelico could be had because his deal is with AAA. I don't think they'd get Ricochet. I wonder if WWE would also get Jack Evans? But of all the people I can see in LU going to WWE, Angelico is the one I think would be a HUGE star. Like I think he's everything WWE would want in a high flyer. He's very tall, 6'3" actually, he can still add some weight, about 20 pound, and not lose much in terms of high flying. He would be the wrestler WWE thought Evan Bourne was. So I can see it. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    Reports were out this week that WWE is looking into LU and ROH guys. My guess is that they think Angelico could be had because his deal is with AAA. I don't think they'd get Ricochet. I wonder if WWE would also get Jack Evans? But of all the people I can see in LU going to WWE, Angelico is the one I think would be a HUGE star. Like I think he's everything WWE would want in a high flyer. He's very tall, 6'3" actually, he can still add some weight, about 20 pound, and not lose much in terms of high flying. He would be the wrestler WWE thought Evan Bourne was. So I can see it. Only time will tell.
    They can look into them; that doesn't mean they can get them. Again, if LU's contracts with AAA guys were that shaky, WWE would have Angelico already. They've been interested in him since Seth Rollins saw him and Evans at a PWG show in August (who I don't think WWE wants, despite him being one of the most entertaining wrestlers alive), and according to the Observer, they almost signed him and Puma back in September when it didn't look like season two was happening. When it was announced, those rumors died. Am I really supposed to believe that WWE would just drop interest in him for a few months after wanting him? The only thing that makes sense is that they can't get him because of the contract, which means that they can't get any of the other guys from AAA unless LU lets them out of the contract. And they aren't going to do that if they find that certain talent valuable in the long term.

I do agree Angelico would be huge in WWE if used correctly. Then again, I absolutely love the guy and have ever since I first saw him leap over the turnbuckle. The guy has that Jeff Hardy/Mick Foley daredevil gene you don't see any more that I think can really appeal to fans in an environment where there's not as much risk anymore.

The Brain
    I don't think Angelico can really talk worth a damn, which for whatever reason is a must have in WWE right now.

And if Sydal got popped by WWE, I don't think Evans would make it that far. Then again, they keep bringing back RVD so maybe it's just a question of how much they are willing to look the other way.

Potentially troubling news; AAA has canceled the Guerra de Titanes next month, the show where Mundo-Mysterio was supposed to take place. No reason has been given as of yet.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Can AAA afford that? Isn't the big shows where AAA makes big money?

La Sombra is taking 1-on-1 English lessons 3 times a week. Viva la dedication!

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Potentially troubling news; AAA has canceled the Guerra de Titanes next month, the show where Mundo-Mysterio was supposed to take place. No reason has been given as of yet.
    That's not good news at all. Oh man. I hope more information comes.

luchablog downplayed it saying that they're likely rescheduling the date. He did say that AAA is going through some rough times and that they need events like this Guerra de Titanes to make money.

Warning; there will be video of an Aerostar match posted here later, and you'll absolutely love it.

Alright, so no Aerostar video a yet (he says a week later) but CMLL is showing Dragon Lee vs. Kamaitachi tonight on their Friday show. These two are excellent together, so it should be amazing.

Dragon Lee vs. Kamaitachi. Enjoy yourself! http://www.clarosports.com/lucha-lib...itachi-505742/

I just realized you can watch AAA on YouTube, whole shows put on by AAA themselves!!! My god, I'm in heaven. I didn't know about this. So much catching up to do.

And why does Rey have to get hurt. Oh well, I think Johnny Mundo as AAA champion is much better. Rey needs to go to WWE and retire and get into the Hall of Fame. It's obvious his body can't do this no more.

Just a case where the knees are gone I suppose. I still think (barring this being a serious injury, which I don't think we know if it is yet) that he can give AAA, LU or WWE a good year depending on how he's used though. He held up quite well this year working a solid schedule for AAA. Perhaps this is just the case of him tweaking something or AAA running an angle.

The Brain
    Rey's match with Myzteziz (of all people) awhile back convinced me Rey has a bit of juice left still. Probably shouldn't push it too much though.

Rush vs. Caristico (Mistico/Sin Cara/Myzteziz) is tonight. Could be good!

Time to breathe some life into this old thread! Last night the legendary La Parka (the actual one, not the imposter one AAA created after the Chairman went to WCW) was in a match with Texano, El Mesias and most importantly Pentagon Jr. There's no full video of the match yet but I have been able to find a two minute clip that primarily features Pentagon and Parka squaring off followed by them teaming up to beat down Mesias. The stuff that dream matches and dream teams are made of, and it's even more exciting when you consider Parka is not only working AAA house shows but is also working in Arena Mexico again. The man has lucha libre in the palm of his hand!

Not that anyone will but if you have a couple of hours check out the 83rd Anniversary Show CMLL put on this weekend. What a show! One of the best big shows I've seen in a long time that had nothing to do with Lucha Underground.

Today would've been the 99th birthday of El Santo. If you're a wrestling fan of any nature, I urge you to seek out an article about him, a movie he did, anything. Learn more about this unbelievable legend!

I saw that. Wow, I'm surprised. That means he had El Hijo del Santo later in life, as EHDS is only 53. But that's cool because El Hijo kept the name going for a long time. I wonder how his grandsons will do. If I was WWE, I'd sign one, maybe Axel, or El Santo Jr.

Axell is in his forties so you can forget him coming in. Santo Jr. has claimed WWE approached him, but he had to decline because he's finishing school or something. No one I know actually believes that to be true and no one I know believes the two sides could ever work together. The Santos love control and they'd have next to none with WWE; it be a disaster waiting to happen. The better thing to do would be to induct Santo and maybe El Hijo del Santo into the Hall of Fame one of these years. By my count only Eddie Guerrero and Mil Mascaras are lucha guys who made it into the HOF; Santo or Blue Demon is the next logical guy.

You know, I never knew how old Axell was. I always thought he was in his 30's now. (Though it explains why he looks way out of shape compared to 10 years ago, hell even 5 years ago.) Damn. Yeah, he might have been the most realistic choice to go to the WWE, since him and the Santo family is on the outs. But at his age now, yeah, I don't see it unless WWE really wants a connection to El Santo. But they seem happy to be connected to the Guerrero family and having that be their in to the Mexican market.

I could see El Hijo del Santo being VERY protective of El Santo Jr. if he ever made a WWE run. But it would be interesting. How old is El Santo Jr.? He looks in his 20's, but he's always in the mask. I know Del Rio was known as a political master in the WWE locker room and seemed to very close to Vince. But he was the son of Dos Caras and nephew of Mil Mascaras. And even though that family was HUGE in Mexico, they'd even say the El Santo dynasty is the holy grail of dynasties in Mexico. So if Del Rio was a problem, I can't even imagine a member of the Santo family. But it would be very interesting to watch.

I guess? I don't know if you've seen the kid but he's still really green; the potential is certainly there but at this point he's only had a few matches and only a couple in Mexico. WWE signing him now would be no different than when they brought in Del Rio's brother a year or two after Del Rio signed; that kid never made the main roster and he's considered one of the worst luchadors in Mexico right now. Santo Jr. probably would wind up the same given how green it is and how WWE programs younger wrestlers to work a certain way. So let him stay in Mexico, grow there and then see what happens, though I still maintain the control the Santos want would put a huge strain on anything WWE would like to do (and Del Rio, as egotistical as he is, isn't even in the same stratosphere as Hijo del Santo would be for his son).

And you know what; it's probably better off Santo Jr. never comes to WWE. When has the company shown that it treats luchadors correctly not named Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero? Psicosis, Juventud Guerrera and Super Crazy were three of the biggest lucha libre stars of the 90's/early 2000's and they were turned into stereotypes. Mistico had his fair share of issues that led to his run flopping, but the fact that he's picked up where he left off in Mexico before WWE shows that they didn't exactly position him in the best way possible. Del Rio never truly got over during two runs with the company. Sin Cara II and Kalisto are meaningless. La Sombra went from headlining the biggest show in lucha libre to a joke in feathered fedora hats and suspenders. Hell even El Hijo del Santo himself was relegated to being on WWE's Super Astros show back in the 90's when he was working under them. I get WWE is the be all end all to so many (which I think is one of the biggest issues in all wrestling today), but they can't even book their own talent right most of the time let alone the luchadors. So why not let the young guys like Santo Jr. stay in Mexico, grow down there and let the business grow with them? Wrestling may be down in popularity but it's as accessible as ever and that includes lucha libre, where you can watch CMLL three times a week on YouTube and Claro Sports for free. These luchadors are much better off helping to raise the profile of lucha while raising their stock as opposed to going to WWE, where they won't get over and WWE quickly loses interest.

Cult, I don't know if you're still active in this thread, but what would you recommend as far as a starting point for checking out AAA and CMLL? How do you watch them? Is it exclusive to the Internet or do you find ways to actually order some of the shows?

I'm always active here! It's everyone else who doesn't bother to come discuss lucha with me.

If you're going to watch AAA, you're better off trying to find as much of the early stuff from the promotion as you can (1992-1995). Beyond that you're better off avoiding them right now as they've been pretty bad. CMLL meanwhile has been good to great almost every show recently (with the exception of their Monday show) and is really accessible. Their Monday show in Arena Puebla is on YouTube starting at 10 every week, while the Tuesday show from Arena Mexico streams on YouTube at 8:30 and the Friday show (CMLL's RAW) streams on Claro Sports' website at 9:30. The YouTube shows can be accessed afterwards at any time too if you miss them. I highly recommend checking it out; Lucha Underground may be the more creatively satisfying promotion I watch right now, but no company brings as many high quality shows weekly as CMLL does. They're amazing.

Is there any way to watch the Friday show if you don't see it when it airs live?

The matches all become available eventually; usually cubsfan (the guy who runs luchablog, which I highly recommend checking out) will upload them to YouTube a few days after the Friday show. If enough people are interested I can start posting the Friday night matches here, as well as the streams for the Monday and Tuesday shows here when they're about to start.

Edit: Speak of the devil! I just found last night's CMLL show in its entirety on YouTube. I'll leave it here for anyone who wants to check it out.

Last edited by Cult Icon; 10-09-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks Cult

LOL don't worry buddy I won't leave you hangin'. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out as soon as I can. Out of curiosity, what's so bad about AAA now? How could a company who has the likes of Pentagon, Cuerno, and other LU heavy-hitters be bad?

Sorry for the delay! AAA is bad now because of three people; Marisela Pena, Joaquin Roldan and Dorian Roldan. The three of them took over in the wake of Antonio Pena's death and for awhile did okay while Konnan was booking shows. Now that Konnan has been fired by AAA they've basically been doing it themselves and none of the three have shown any ability to effectively lead a wrestling promotion. That's why the promotion has cratered even with guys like Pentagon, Cuerno, a shit ton of other LU guys and even some great home grown dudes like Psycho Clown on the roster. The hope is that Vampiro, who has been brought in to replace Konnan as booker, can get things moving again.

Last night's CMLL happened and it has an excellent trios match featuring Mascara Dorada (aka WWE's Gran Metalik). I'm posting it here because it has a spot you won't believe till you see it. That good.

CMLL is live right now for anyone interested! Gran Metalik will be in the main event!

Saw it. That was a spectacular move. I will not post it and spoil it in case others want to take a look at that video.

Gran Metalik's last CMLL match is tonight. If you want to see it, click the link below. I hope you do!

http://www.clarosports.com/en-vivo02/

Gran Metalik's last CMLL match is tonight. If you want to see it, click the link below. I hope you do!

http://www.clarosports.com/en-vivo02/
    GrRRRRRRRRRR......

It said video is unavailable in the US

It is now because the video was only available while the show was being streamed. I have the full show here though as it's been uploaded to YouTube. Dorada's farewell match begins around the 1:14:00 mark.