Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "YES! YES! YES!" The Daniel Bryan Thread

Super Moderator

"YES! YES! YES!" The Daniel Bryan Thread

"The People's Champion" Daniel Bryan.

What do you think of the bearded guy?

The Brain
    Was in the crowd at Night of Champions and was surprised to see a noticeable amount of Orton support opposing the Bearded One. Was really thinking Bryan might be able to avoid the hype backlash that so many other faces receive when they get pushed by the WWE. Not sure if there are actually a lot of Orton supporters or if some fans just can't stop themselves from cheering the heel.

The real question in my mind is when, if ever, Bryan is going to get a real run with the WWE Championship? My fear is he's going to get Foley-ed out of a strong title run.

He won't get Foley'd. If that was going to happen, he never would've beaten Cena cleanly at Summerslam. No matter what happened afterwards, that of itself was unbelievably huge for Bryan, and his title reign isn't going to be half assed from that. The only question is whether he wins the belt from Orton at Wrestlemania, or if he wins it sometime this fall and then runs with it leading into a match against Cena. Either way he'll get his due and one of the Wrestlemania main events.

The Brain
    Hey, Foley had plenty of success and his own share of 'Mania moments. He just never... quite... got that title run. Beating Cena was huge, no doubt, but it's all about the follow up. I'm hopeful, but cautiously so.

Goldberg Rules!
    Did he really have that many Mania moments though? They were dead on in the booking for WM 22 that Foley had no standout moment before then.

The Brain
    Good point actually, he had a lot of moments but not much at 'Mania. I think the main point still stands though, Bryan can have a lot of success and still not ever get his defining title run depending on how things go.

Too much stock is put into "Mania moments." Foley being much better used as enhancement to the top stars does not discredit his name power or talent.

Foley was never the guy, even when someone else was injured. Daniel will not fall into that scenario.

The Brain
    So you think WWE is willing to make Daniel Bryan the guy? He's kind of the guy right now by default, but Foley was near the same level Bryan is at now in late '98 and early '99. Bryan has already surpassed his level by a bit, but will it last or is it just a stop-gap while Cena is out? Could see it either way.

To me, Orton is the stop gap guy, not Bryan. The fear seems to be that Cena is going to be taking Bryan's place down the line, but if anything I see Cena taking Orton's. I don't mean via heel turn, I mean concerning Wrestlemania; Bryan and Cena still have unfinished business themselves, and a match between them at Mania would be a much better draw than Orton-Cena (people forget, but Orton has NEVER been a ratings draw by himself, as evident by his awful run as Smackdown champ a few years back). Plus, the match would be unpredictable; I could easily see Cena winning to get his win back, or Bryan winning to solidify himself as the new guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    So you think WWE is willing to make Daniel Bryan the guy? He's kind of the guy right now by default, but Foley was near the same level Bryan is at now in late '98 and early '99. Bryan has already surpassed his level by a bit, but will it last or is it just a stop-gap while Cena is out? Could see it either way.
    Maybe not THE guy, but he's THE guy without Cena right now. That's more than Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack ever was.

All the focus is on Bryan. His future is going to be made, even if he is the Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart to Stone Cold/Rock.

The Brain
    Interesting idea. I've regarded Orton as the much more permanent member of the main event considering his long history of being in that spot and Bryan's relatively untested status, but you may have a point there. I'm not sure I can see the NewCorp storyline moving away from the title by 'Mania, but it's possible.

It all depends I suppose. I think when it comes to the Syndicate/NewCorp, the title picture is secondary to the match Triple H has at Wrestlemania. That will be the main focal point for that story, which can allow Cena vs. Bryan to be squarely about the title and respect. That's how you make it work.

Plus, if Daniel Bryan proves he can draw ratings and PPV buys (or at least keep them level), you could have Cena turn heel at Wrestlemania and side with Triple H as the new "face" of WWE. That keeps the storyline going and brings the title back into the spotlight for the Syndicate/NewCorp.

The Brain
    I was thinking more that Bryan/HHH may be pushed back to 'Mania. In the whole history of Wrestlemania WWE hasn't run a title match that's a rerun of a PPV match from the previous year. I just don't see them going back to the Cena/Bryan well at 'Mania, especially since the Summerslam numbers seem to be lower than normal.

I can tell you right now that Cena-Orton will make Cena-Bryan look like the highest drawing thing ever. Obviously it'll draw more because Wrestlemania is a bigger draw than Summerslam on name alone, but Cena-Orton is NOT a match that will bring in big money (especially in contrast to previous years). In fact, that match I think would lose buys; the older fans will hate it because it takes Bryan away, and the younger fans would much rather see Bryan in that position than Orton at this point as well. I don't know if Bryan-Cena will do better numbers at Mania, but I do know it has a much better chance of doing that than a Cena-Orton match up that will be entirely average (their feud was okay at best), as well as being something no one wants to see.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    Did he really have that many Mania moments though? They were dead on in the booking for WM 22 that Foley had no standout moment before then.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Good point actually, he had a lot of moments but not much at 'Mania. I think the main point still stands though, Bryan can have a lot of success and still not ever get his defining title run depending on how things go.
    Foley only had a 'Mania moment later on, in his match against Edge, and they did it in a Loss. However, Mick Foley is the exception to the rule, as he never needed a 'Mania Moment, because of the Undertaker/King of the Ring/Hell in a Cell moment(s). That match and moment(s) created and cemented Foley's legacy. I would argue that Foley's moment of getting thrown off and through the cell, is a bigger moment than any 'Mania moment sans Hogan/Andre.

Yes, we smarks remember all of the 'Mania Moments" but are any of them really more memorable than Foley getting thrown off the Cell? In my opinion no. Foley getting back up, and climbing back to the top of the cell, only to go through it this time, and then finishing the match is tremendously more memorable than any moment at Mania, with the exception of Hogan slamming Andre. Now just imagine if the HIAC match happened at WrestleMania, I could then argue that, Foley's moment would have been the biggest of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    Too much stock is put into "Mania moments."
    Agreed. As I pointed out above.
    Last edited by Powder; 09-27-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Blunt Force Balls
    I'd love to see them get Bryan's YES! lock (or is it still a No lock?) over like Benoit's corssface and Angles ankle lock got over. He had a great match with John Cena at Summerslam, I think it would've been even better if he became the first person to make Cena tap (I know Cena has tapped to Benoit and Angle before but no way would the announcers acknowledge that), and Cena said that had damaged his arm to the point he needed surgery.

Goldberg Rules!
    Austin at WM 13 is bigger, to me. Him passing out covered in blood was epic.

Super Moderator
    So, D-Bry and Brie are getting married. Congrats to the two.

Blunt Force Balls
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    So, D-Bry and Brie are getting married. Congrats to the two.
    Brie? He shouldn't have ditch AJ!

I honestly think he's a pretty good wrestler.

You don't say?

doublehelix
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark, Smart View Post
    I honestly think he's a pretty good wrestler.
    Agreedo.

10 character limit because everyone loved the 5 character one.

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    You don't say?
    Just remember- you heard it here first.

Reality Champ
    Gotta love a guy who can fully acknowledge he outkicked his coverage.

So last night I am at the NY Islanders game (which they beat Boston 3-1!) and after every goal, big hit, big save, there were very large YES! YES! YES! with arms and all chants. If the chants are still going on at sporting events, at camp (where I work in the summer) in school (where I am a teacher), then what is the 'E waiting for? It seems to me that Bryan's YES! chants have truly crossed over into the mainstream, and could be similar to Cena's "you can't see me" hand gesture. I could honestly see a pro football player, probably a wide reveicer doing the YES! hand point after he scores a touchdown and getting the crowd going.

Bryan needs to win the big one very soon, and he should be allowed to run with ball as well. I could only imagine that after he wins the WWE title, he could go on talk shows and start the YES! chant, go to Baseball games and throw out the first pitch and start the chant, etc. The WWE knows what they have in Bryan, but they just need to pull the trigger.

Explain to me how other sports copying wrestling is a benefit to WWE? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but at this point it's viewers of wrestling chanting outside of wrestling events. Even if "YES" and "NO" chants catch on, how does that relate to Daniel Bryan needing a push?

Basically, what I'm saying is that A has nothing to do with B.

Especially when DB cant even be credited with doing it first. Diego Sanchez would like a word.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    Explain to me how other sports copying wrestling is a benefit to WWE? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but at this point it's viewers of wrestling chanting outside of wrestling events. Even if "YES" and "NO" chants catch on, how does that relate to Daniel Bryan needing a push?

Basically, what I'm saying is that A has nothing to do with B.
    Because, just like Cena's 'You can't see me" hand gesture, everytime it is done, Bryan can get a credit. Sportscenter anchors, as well as newscasters reference it (YCSM). It has become a "pop culture" item. And anytime a wrestling related item gets pop culture going, or gets mentioned on the news. or becomes its own fad, then that can only be beneficial to the overall product.

I have no way of knowing the exact numbers, or how many people tuned in during the attitude era and got hooked on the product simply because they watched to see what all of this "Austin 3:16" stuff was about. But there were people who did get hooked on the WWE/F due to finding out what it was all about.

If the WWE put their marketing machine into full blast and made Bryan into a huge crossover star, starting YES! chants where ever he went, it could lead to others turing in to find out why this is so popular. And that is the endgame. More viewers, and possibly/probably new fans. Just like what happened to Howard Stern in his heyday, and the quote from Private Parts:

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

Pig Vomit: How can that be?

Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?

Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?

Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."
    This can be applied to the WWE. They tune in to find out what the YES! chant is all about, but stay to see what is happening next. Then if they like what they see, or even of they don't they tune back in to see what will happen next.

A initially had nothing to do with B, but all I am saying is that it could. The YES! chant is so simplistic, so easy to do, and so easily idenitifiable that it can become another "Austin 3:16" but even larger.

So by pushing Bryan and allowing him to be the WWE champion, representing the company, the potential viewers tune in to see him and get hooked ion the overall product, which is better than it has been in years.
    Last edited by Powder; 11-03-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Dude, don't go using Stern as a reference with me. I'm a Stern-aholic, but this has no place in this discusion. I'll grant you that SportCenter broadcasters might credit Daniel Bryan, and that's definitely something more than I would have imagined. But it's not much. It makes sense if wrestling was huge, but it's not. It's no different than if someone says "Bazinga" or whatever the t-shirt slogan is from the sitcom. I don't think there's enough of a reason to expect these SportCenter viewers to tune into the nerd sitcom. I'm not saying no one would, but that the amount doesn't warrant suddenly making Bryan the next Austin. With that logic, Fandango should be WWE champion since everyone was Fandango-ing months ago outside of WWE events.

Besides, if these sports personalities are already quoting Daniel Bryan, then what else can they do? Making Bryan an even bigger name (and by the way, he has been the biggest name in WWE since Summerslam) isn't going to add much more.

I agree with both of you, but I'm hoping the WWE *does* do what they did for Fandango and maybe show the "Yes!" chants that are happening at different events on RAW. That way they can play it up as Daniel Bryan not only has the support of the WWE Universe but the NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL Universe.

Will that bring in more viewers? Probably not...but its still a good idea because anytime you can "mainstream" your product and make it seem important and, to some degree, equal to these other, bigger entities (like the NFL or NBA), you have a win on your hands. Fandango-ing is a perfect example. Did it bring in any viewers? Did it make Fandango a star? No and no...but it didn't have the opposite effect either and, for a brief moment, it did actually create a "buzz" that fans got to enjoy. It may have even help sell some Fandango tee-shirts if they'd have turned him face with it too.

The Cool No. 9
    I like the idea to pair Punk and Bryan. I'm reading a lot of people are pissy because DB isnt in the main event anymore, but look what he did. He won a WWE title albeit for a short time, he gained millions of fans, he's taken very seriously these days and after he split from Team Hell No he became a solid main event player and can get right back in it at anytime. The belt is better on Orton right now, and Bryan maybe in WWE for 10-15 more years so there will be more chances. He will get everything he deserves by the time it's done, including a hall of fame ring.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool No. 9 View Post
    I'm reading a lot of people are pissy because DB isnt in the main event anymore, but look what he did. He won a WWE title albeit for a short time, he gained millions of fans, he's taken very seriously these days and after he split from Team Hell No he became a solid main event player and can get right back in it at anytime.
    I'm not going to say one way or another if the move out of the main event is good or bad, but I do want to say he was a huge fan favorite long before this angle. If nowhere else, that was decisively proven when Cena was given the choice of the whole roster to decide his opponent and the crowd was going bonkers for Bryan before WWE even mentioned him as a possible candidate. The Authority angle has given him momentum, but honestly he has given them a lot of momentum as well. They never could have run as hot as they did without him playing protagonist so well.

Dead In The Flesh
    I don't know what they were thinking by giving him the title at Night Of Champions. It was so short-lived and pointless that it kind of sours the moment when (and if) he actually wins the title down the road.

I'm not big on conspiracy theories or whining about wrestling storylines but the WWE is going to do all they can to take Bryan's popularity away. If this kidnapping storyline goes where we all think it's going and he becomes a brainwashed heel it's going to be eye-rollingly bad. They take their hottest star and sabotage him for no reason other than to kill his popularity.

Blunt Force Balls
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I'm not big on conspiracy theories or whining about wrestling storylines but the WWE is going to do all they can to take Bryan's popularity away. If this kidnapping storyline goes where we all think it's going and he becomes a brainwashed heel it's going to be eye-rollingly bad. They take their hottest star and sabotage him for no reason other than to kill his popularity.
    I don't think they are that stupid. He will probably tease being brainwashed but then turn on Bray. I think at TLC it will be either Punk and Bryan v Bray and Reigns, or Bryan v Bray and Punk v Reigns.

I expect an angle on Raw similar to this:

DarkForces
    I don't quite understand how the Shield are suddenly involved, well just Roman Reigns actually? That just seems kind of fast for me.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Bryan In This case. I fully expected Kane to come back brainwashed so it wouldn't surprise me either way. Maybe a ladder match between Punk and Bray at TLC with Bryan hanging above the ring?

Don't WHAT? Me.
    BdMiMS3IAAAALcu.jpg

....this can't be life.

Oh, that is too fucking awesome!

Dario
    This angle has so much potential. I hope they don't screw it up.

Hylton
    I'm pretty sure Bryan is gonna use The Wyatts to win the Rumble then face Lesnar at 'Mania for the title.