Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "YES! YES! YES!" The Daniel Bryan Thread

Matt Shepherd
    Either way, concussion or not, I just hope he gets back to kicking ass in time for the Rumble. Whoops the champs ass at 'Mania, and gives the fans what they really want, a Legitimate Daniel Bryan WWE World Heavyweight Title Run. Just like Benoit and Hart at X and XX the 30th anniversary of WrestleMania needs a true wrestler who deserves it, who is also over with the people to come out on top. Anything less will be shit on.

A Professional Sort Of
    To borrow a line from The Rock.

It doesn't matter what we think.

If Daniel Bryan truly has a concussion, and is still showing signs of concussion, then it is up to the medical professionals to decide whether D-Bry wrestles or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Millenium Winnebago View Post
    To borrow a line from The Rock.

It doesn't matter what we think.

If Daniel Bryan truly has a concussion, and is still showing signs of concussion, then it is up to the medical professionals to decide whether D-Bry wrestles or not.
    It kinda does matter what we think. Honestly, id buy the PPV if I knew AmDrag was wrestling. If not ill watch it the next day. For me? Hes the draw. I wanna see Daniel Bryan win the Rumble and will pay for the chance thatll happen. If hes on the DL then I wont make the purchase.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    It kinda does matter what we think. Honestly, id buy the PPV if I knew AmDrag was wrestling. If not ill watch it the next day. For me? Hes the draw. I wanna see Daniel Bryan win the Rumble and will pay for the chance thatll happen. If hes on the DL then I wont make the purchase.
    Which is why there's no chance in hell we'll find out whether he's wrestling or not until the Rumble itself. If WWE is smart, they try to contain any leaks about whether DB will wrestle or not.

FWIW, I went back and watched the replay. He definitely has the glassy look in this eyes. At first, I kinda took it as a crazed look, but, while it might just be confirmation bias, I can definitely see it in those last five minutes.
    Last edited by TheAman; 01-16-2014 at 03:41 PM.

But where does the injury occur? I went back and watched the match again, and there were only three spots that could've caused a concussion.

1) The Russian Leg Sweep off the cage
    2) When the Usos double backdropped Bryan off the Cage
    3) When he hits Wyatt falling off the cage at the end of the match

The only one of those that could've given him the concussion is the leg sweep; the impact of the backdrop was on Bryan's back, not his head and his collision with Wyatt was minimal and didn't appear to be on the head. Hell, I have my doubts the leg sweep injured him as well, as whichever Uso hit him with it does a good job of putting his arm behind Bryan's head in order to protect him from a serious impact. I'm not saying he couldn't have suffered the concussion from those moves, but it appears to me to be highly unlikely. And, while BFB's point about the WWE waiting to announce the concussion news is correct, the fact that the news has completely died down since it was brought up Tuesday night makes me continue to wonder if this isn't just part of the story.

Super Moderator
    Maybe all along it was what the NHL likes to call "concussion-like symptoms".

Blunt Force Balls
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    But where does the injury occur? I went back and watched the match again, and there were only three spots that could've caused a concussion.

1) The Russian Leg Sweep off the cage
    2) When the Usos double backdropped Bryan off the Cage
    3) When he hits Wyatt falling off the cage at the end of the match

The only one of those that could've given him the concussion is the leg sweep; the impact of the backdrop was on Bryan's back, not his head and his collision with Wyatt was minimal and didn't appear to be on the head. Hell, I have my doubts the leg sweep injured him as well, as whichever Uso hit him with it does a good job of putting his arm behind Bryan's head in order to protect him from a serious impact. I'm not saying he couldn't have suffered the concussion from those moves, but it appears to me to be highly unlikely. And, while BFB's point about the WWE waiting to announce the concussion news is correct, the fact that the news has completely died down since it was brought up Tuesday night makes me continue to wonder if this isn't just part of the story.
    Perhaps it took place in the opening bout but Bryan didn't make management aware or they told him to avoid taking a bump on the head being that they'd already announced it...

Could be. I'll have to take a look at the opening bout later.

Blunt Force Balls
    Still no news on WWE.COM about Bryan's concussion.

So either, 1-it's not true or 2-they are waiting until Monday to write it into the storyline.

Hmm..wonder if he's at the live events this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt Force Balls View Post
    Still no news on WWE.COM about Bryan's concussion.

So either, 1-it's not true or 2-they are waiting until Monday to write it into the storyline.

Hmm..wonder if he's at the live events this weekend.
    The fact is, it might not be that bad and they are waiting to see what his symptoms are come monday.

OR

Its so bad hes not making the PPV so they have to pretend he doesnt have a concussion so they keep him as a draw.

Dario
    Either way they can use it as a part of this angle. Have him come out with The Wyatts like he completely forgot about the fact that Wyatt and him got into a fight last week.

deprice659
    It is unfortunate for Bryan that he was concussed during his pinnacle moment. The rumors are that he couldn't remember the cage match. But don't lost memories from concussions return within a week when you heal up? Or no? It would be messed up if he could only live that moment by watching it like the rest of us. But Bryan seems like the kind of guy that would have a good sense of humor about it.

Quote Originally Posted by deprice659 View Post
    It is unfortunate for Bryan that he was concussed during his pinnacle moment. The rumors are that he couldn't remember the cage match. But don't lost memories from concussions return within a week when you heal up? Or no? It would be messed up if he could only live that moment by watching it like the rest of us. But Bryan seems like the kind of guy that would have a good sense of humor about it.
    It depends on where the swelling is. At the end of the day, the severity of a concussion is not determined by the initial concussions symptoms but by how long signs and symptoms last. Athletes usually recover within a week or two of the event.

Hylton
    I hope he's not okay. Not because I want him to be the champ really, really badly, but because I hate stuff like this.

It seems that Daniel Bryan wasnt cleared to wrestle tonight in Indiana, tho it might just be a part of the concussion protocol.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    It seems that Daniel Bryan wasnt cleared to wrestle tonight in Indiana, tho it might just be a part of the concussion protocol.
    Even if he is cleared, I'd be stunned if they let him enter the ring before the Rumble. No reason not to rest him at this point.

Has anyone considered the exponential growth of Bryan's popularity is due, at least in some small part, to the YES! chants being the "in" thing to do now? Like the exact opposite of John Cena or something.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Goldberg Rules!
    But fans started doing the chants as a fuck you to WWE for 18 seconds, the very next night.

Daniel Bryan's popularity is due to his indy cred, everyone loving an underdog, and the fact that fans simply relate to him. People really underestimate the nerdy charisma Bryan has in him; he has successfully conveyed the type of guy (both in and out of the ring from what I hear) who wrestling fans and even casual fans would love to hang out with. People tend to forget that goes a long way; Dusty Rhodes and Mick Foley became mega stars because people were able to relate to them. What differentiates them from Bryan is the era; back then, people still ultimately preferred the guys who looked like pro athletes. Today, guys like Cena, Roman Reigns, Orton and others just aren't guys people relate to anymore I don't think. That's why Bryan has been able to get so popular, and in my opinion, position himself to become the top star in wrestling.

Goldberg Rules!
    That, and he's really really good.

Miles better than that indy stench stain CM Punk.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    But fans started doing the chants as a fuck you to WWE for 18 seconds, the very next night.
    True, but the turnaround (for lack of a better term) didn't happen a whole lot faster than the Cena turnaround back in '05. He got cheered against JBL, but was getting the fuck booed outta him by his feud with Angle. Also, I'm talking about the GROWTH of Bryan's popularity, not about it beginning in the first place.

Goldberg Rules!
    So having a catchphrase helped get someone over. Hey WWE, your secret is out!

Reality Champ
    Can we end this myth? If you want to say that it became popular there, ok, but it wasn't like people at Wrestlemania all of a sudden realized "Holy shit, this guy is chanting yes". It had been growing consistently since he started it in December.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    True, but the turnaround (for lack of a better term) didn't happen a whole lot faster than the Cena turnaround back in '05. He got cheered against JBL, but was getting the fuck booed outta him by his feud with Angle. Also, I'm talking about the GROWTH of Bryan's popularity, not about it beginning in the first place.
    The Yes chants have helped, but they aren't the only reason for his growth in popularity. If it was, then when the Big Show started ripping the chants off a few months ago (or when AJ did it last year), fans would've latched onto that and abandoned Bryan. Instead, they've stayed with him. The best evidence of this is this past Monday night; while the Yes chants were the main chant, let's not forget that the fans were chanting Daniel Bryan at the top of their lungs just before he attacked Wyatt. The chant is in, but the fans love Bryan much more than they love the chant in my opinion.

Goldberg Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    Can we end this myth? If you want to say that it became popular there, ok, but it wasn't like people at Wrestlemania all of a sudden realized "Holy shit, this guy is chanting yes". It had been growing consistently since he started it in December.
    No shit, the chant wouldn't have gotten over without a prior origin (Austin 3:16 is a rare case). You know what I meant.

All I'm saying is that, since 'Mania 28, chanting YES! has officially become the "cool" thing to do at WWE events. Fans don't even care if Bryan's in the ring at the moment.

He deserves all the success he gets and I'm not taking anything away from him. I'm just saying that the same concept of booing Cena just to boo him obviously applies to this scenario as well.

Goldberg Rules!
    People boo Cena?

Way more than Orton.

Goldberg Rules!
    Wait, PEOPLE BOO ORTON?!

Calm yourself T.O. The people who boo Orton are the same people who thought Timeline was a good film. They don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    All I'm saying is that, since 'Mania 28, chanting YES! has officially become the "cool" thing to do at WWE events. Fans don't even care if Bryan's in the ring at the moment.

He deserves all the success he gets and I'm not taking anything away from him. I'm just saying that the same concept of booing Cena just to boo him obviously applies to this scenario as well.
    I think the cool thing to do at events now is to chant "we are awesome", "this is awesome" and other chants that the IZOD crowd made popular post Mania more than the Yes chants.

And again, if the Yes chant was the cool thing to say and fans didn't care that Bryan was in the ring when they were doing it, why didn't the crowd abandon him and completely side with Big Show, AJ and others when they were ripping off the chants? It matters more with Bryan doing the chants than anyone else, which I think separates him getting over just because the Yes chants are the "cool" thing right now.

What I meant when I said they don't even care if Bryan's in the ring is they do it regardless. Remember the hilarious "Si!" chants at Del Rio? Hell, to my knowledge, this is the first time a catch phrase/word has been unofficially adopted by other wrestlers while still at the peak of it's popularity. It's basically replaced "What?", although other superstars weren't using that when Austin was still wrestling.

Anyway, my point wasn't specifically about the chants. The man Daniel Bryan is over like rover. There's no denying that, of course. The fact that it's cool to cheer for the guy has created a snowball effect with the entire WWE Universe.

Smart_Mark, I think I see what you're saying more than others, it seems.

In fact, I think an example you might be looking for is my present situation. RAW is coming to town in the next few months and my TOP reason for going - more than seeing Brock Lesnar or the Undertaker (who are likely to be there) - is because I want to be part of a live crowd doing the Yes Chant. The Yes Chant has literally become a draw in itself (not a huge one, but I can't be the only human whose interest in paying $40 to go see RAW live increases when they hear a stadium lose their shit and want to be part of it).

As you tried to assert, this conversation isn't really about when Daniel Bryan's popularity started or how over he is, it's about how the Yes Chant is the coolest thing going in the WWE today and that there may have been a time when the equivalent was booing Cena. Personally, I don't think that comparison is apt because the Yes Chant is such a positive thing that, as you pointed out, happens even when Bryan isn't in the ring. This is different than the "Cena Sucks" chant because nobody was chanting that during a Sheamus/Del Rio match. The "Cena Sucks" chant required Cena himself as the trigger, while the Yes Chant doesn't seem to. In this way, it's more comparable to the "What?" chants once Austin left.

Last - as someone pointed out - even if the Yes Chant becomes a "WWE Chant" (meaning it is adopted by so many babyfaces that it is no longer tied to just Bryan, which seems like what they were going for a few months ago), the crowd's chant of "Daniel Bryan" is easily the second biggest chant they have going, eclipsing any cheers that CM Punk or John Cena are getting these days. That chant is the one that proves that while the Yes Chant is the "in" thing to do at a WWE live event (or Michigan basketball game?), the "in" wrestler to like is Daniel Bryan.

SkipSheffield

Anybody here hate Daniel Bryan?

I absolutely fuckin do. I think Daniel Bryan is a terrible superstar.

Here's the reasons:

He has a terrible look
    He has mic skills but he's boring as fuck on the mic
    Terrible entrance music
    The yes chants are annoying as fuck

I have absolutely no clue how daniel bryan is over this much, in my eyes it's completely pathetic to have somebody like bryan as a top superstar.

I'd rather have Cena, Ziggler, Punk, Batista, Lesnar, HHH over this shitty superstar. Matter of fact dare i say it Orton is more interesting than Daniel.

Wrestling is getting pretty decent again since HHH has taken over. Especially since The Rock and Lesnar returned but they really need someone else as a top superstar other than bryan.

I don't think i can keep watching too much longer if he stays.

Goldberg Rules!
    Your gimmick sucks.

McDaygo
    The only thing I am not a fan of is the beard but that is purely out of spite that the Navy doesn't allow me to grow one.

Blunt Force Balls
    Doubt it. He's a likeable guy.

As a person I can see why people wouldn't like Cena- who comes across as a bit of a phony, or Punk, who can come across as a bit preachy and a bit of a douche. But I can't see why people wouldn't like Bryan.

Your gimmick sucks.
    I agree.

The Reason Daniel Bryan is over is two words ... Hard Work

He carries mediocre in ring workers - Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus (Extreme Rules 2/3 falls) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSe284snST4

He brings it even on a TV match - RAW 1/30/12: CM Punk VS Daniel Bryan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FGwQn6MsCQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoqTXyy0Gc

even when hes not in a feud, he brings it - Daniel Bryan vs. William Regal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WCPSy3sTis

Even when the match isnt even nationally televised he works his ass off Kaval vs Daniel Bryan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I3VchJWJeI

And in the biggest matches of his career he gives it everything he has - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13...pionship_sport

I mean sure, i could include his Indy stuff, but honestly, this is about why Bryan is so over in the WWE When your dedication shows through, the fans can feel it when a wrestler is being honest or when a wrestler phones it in.

Ok MAYBE 1 indy match - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne7rKXkFqaM

Blunt Force Balls
    Sheamus is actually a pretty decent worker. A better example would've been to use his matches against Ryback for the mediocre example.

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt Force Balls View Post
    Sheamus is actually a pretty decent worker. A better example would've been to use his matches against Ryback for the mediocre example.
    Sheamus gets his strengths played to a lot. You can count on one hand the matches where he has gone over 15 mins. While he has improved and is better than lets say Vladimir Koslov. Shamus has the advantage of working experienced top talent for the most part and it papers over his weaknesses. I mean sure, hes had solid matches with the likes of Big Show, Daniel Bryan and Wade Barrett. He has improved with time (you forget how green he was.) Some of his matches with Kofi were bad, his work with Randy Orton isnt much better. that strap match with Henry still has me scarred.

At the end of the day, D-Bri took Sheamus to the best match hes had yet.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    That bout V Regal on Superstars was so awesome....I love the face Regal made when "He's A Man" starts playing.