Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "YES! YES! YES!" The Daniel Bryan Thread

The Hurra Duff
    I hope DB isn't put on the backburner with Lesnar and Batista back in the mix (or about to be).

I'd really like to see him vs. Orton at WM XXX but the possibility of him vs. Taker at WM intrigues me as well.

Hylton
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hurra Duff View Post
    I hope DB isn't put on the backburner with Lesnar and Batista back in the mix (or about to be).

I'd really like to see him vs. Orton at WM XXX but the possibility of him vs. Taker at WM intrigues me as well.
    See, I don't want to see him vs. Orton at 'Mania. With Brock saying he wants to be champ that means he could win the title at Elimination Chamber and defend against the Rumble winner, Bryan. A win over Brock is MUCH bigger than a win over Orton, especially at 'Mania.

They could have Bryan beat Lesnar, defend against Orton at Extreme Rules and finally have him beat Triple H sometime after that.

Am I the only one who doesn't find Bryan joining the Wyatt family as a bad thing. After a week of thinking about it, I still agree with my gut reaction of this could be a burial of Bryan. IMO this seems like a way to keep Bryan out of the title picture, and away from the main event of WM. I know I am the minority here, but I just do not see this as a good thing. I hope that I am wrong though.

Food for thought:
    Below John Cena, who else is in a position to challenge heel Randy Orton for the WWE title? Bryan is still closer than CM Punk, even though Punk won at TLC in the handicap match, yet Bryan did not.

^ Isn't this why they're bringing in Batista? Or why, hypothetically, they could always turn Lesnar?

I wish I was wrong, but I am sadly convinced that no matter how over and fresh Bryan is, the "big wigs" think they can simply turn back the clock and bring in top babyfaces from 03'-09' to lead the company to bigger ratings in 2014. I pray I'm wrong...but if I'm not, Bobby Lashley should keep his calendar open and his eye on his cellphone because a ring from Stamford might be buzzing in this time next year.

They could do lots of things, but at this time only Cena is in front of Bryan to face a heel champ.

There's two reasons to strongly believe it's still going to be Bryan at the end of all this. One, him joining the Wyatts last week was all built around the premise of overtaking The Authority. They figured heavily into that segment and the decisions made there, and it was clearly stated that Bryan was only doing this because of the "machine." That wasn't brought up just to disappear; The Authority is still the endgame for Bryan. The question now is whether the Wyatts are going to help them get there, or if they are just another obstacle along the way.

The other reason is, frankly, there is no other match up/conclusion at Wrestlemania more satisfying than Bryan facing and defeating Orton (or whoever is the champion) for the WWE title. Batista-Orton, Brock-Orton or whatever they decide to do will not draw at Wrestlemania, or at least won't draw anymore than Bryan-Orton would. There's really no buzz for Orton-Lesnar, and Batista-Orton is a match up we have all seen and is probably the only match less popular than Orton-Cena closing the show. The WWE isn't stupid; they know this and know that regardless of what they do (short of perhaps pulling off a massive surprise none of us can see coming) they aren't likely going to draw as much as last year's Mania did. When that happens, you go with the best long term move, and Bryan winning the title at Mania is still the best long term move.

Reality Champ
    Michigan State basketball fans have adopted the YES chant, complete with arm movements.

zeustis01
    Watched the game today. They're still doing it for opponent's free throws.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    So that was a pretty quick turnaround from being a brainwashed and beaten down lackey to the Daniel Bryan of old. I am glad to see the character back to his old familiar self. I just didn’t see it happening so soon. I was starting to buy into the idea that it would happen during the Royal Rumble match. Since that won’t be the case and a match between the two at the Rumble is now rumored to be taking place I wonder how much longer they’ll keep this storyline going. Also if Daniel Bryan will pull double duty at the PPV. If he isn’t in the Rumble he obviously can’t win it so he’d have to find another way to get into the WrestleMania main event. Something that I am still holding out hope will happen.

Just when things are looking up, Bryan now suffers a concussion. Not good.

A Professional Sort Of
    I'm waiting for someone to write up a column on how this concussion is going to ensure that Daniel Bryan doesn't main event Wrestlemania.

Alas, it has come at a really poor time, but at least he has a couple of weeks to recover.

Goldberg Rules!
    His head isn't in the game.

Blunt Force Balls
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Just when things are looking up, Bryan now suffers a concussion. Not good.
    I hope it's not true.

I hope the inside source that confirmed it is the same source who confirmed plans for Ryback to defeat The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 30

Who even was that source?

I have to believe that it is true, as the WWE sent out a statement confirming it. Hopefully it isn't too serious, and he won't be too affected by this. The good news is that unlike Ziggler, Bryan is far more over and far better liked backstage for his stock to fall too far down if it is a severe concussion.

Blunt Force Balls
    Who even was that source?

I have to believe that it is true, as the WWE sent out a statement confirming it. Hopefully it isn't too serious, and he won't be too affected by this. The good news is that unlike Ziggler, Bryan is far more over and far better liked backstage for his stock to fall too far down if it is a severe concussion.
    The sources are never named and shamed unfortunately.

A Professional Sort Of
    Quote Originally Posted by Blunt Force Balls View Post
    The sources are never named and shamed unfortunately.
    It was Stan; the guy who go kicked in the face by HBK one time.

Blunt Force Balls
    Quote Originally Posted by Millenium Winnebago View Post
    It was Stan; the guy who go kicked in the face by HBK one time.
    Oh this guy?

A Professional Sort Of
    That's him!!

He's also the mastermind behind the Shield.

And he is Sister Abigail too!!

Blunt Force Balls
    Quote Originally Posted by Millenium Winnebago View Post
    That's him!!

He's also the mastermind behind the Shield.

And he is Sister Abigail too!!

Sister Abigail is little Jimmy. Remember when Bray was talking to an empty rocking chair...

A Professional Sort Of
    So that means Bray Wyatt is now Clint Eastwood...

Now every promo 'Bray' has ever done makes total sense!!

Even if he can't compete by the Rumble, they aren't going to scrap the long term plan. Someone else will win the Rumble, Bryan will then beat that person for the title shot at Chamber, or something of the sort.

No worries. Not as good, but the end will be fine.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Nooooooooooooooooo. This sucks, hopefully he doesn't get Christian'd.

A Professional Sort Of
    I've just been reading up on concussions and waiting times for said concussions.

If it is as serious as the Main Page reports it to be, I won't be surprised if Daniel Bryan doesn't step into the ring for the next month let alone the Royal Rumble.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    The thing abt concussions is they are just so hard to diagnose. My gf got a concussion from a huge box 2 weeks ago...and worked for 4 hours that she doesn't remember afterward. She was gone for a good 2 days, and had some dizziness & headaches....but after a week she was close to 100%

The worst thing for someone like Bryan is the only way to get better is to do nothing, you need sleep for the brain to fix itself. Doing (literally) nothing may not be an option for Bryan right now.

A Professional Sort Of
    If it is as serious as it is being reported on the main page, the last thing I want is arguably WWE's biggest face be grounded with another concussion/brain damage.

If he has to rest, then that is what has to happen. No excuses.

We all know Wrestlemania is coming up, along with the Rumble. It would be a huge shame if Bryan wasn't able to compete. But you have to look at the future, like when Bryan retires. Nobody is going to care about the injuries he has piled up when all is said and done. For his sake, if he were to enter the Rumble, then I hope to hell that this is a worked injury.

Oh Im sorry its pro wrestling not ballet.

Daniel Bryan will wrestle in The Rumble. To think anything else is madness. This is his spot they are talking about. This is his brass ring moment, Dude is over and may never be this over again. Daniel Bryan should look at what happened to Dolf Ziggler. He lost his spot by being out a month due to a concussion.

There is a reason baseball has a seven-day disabled list for concussions. 12 days in recovery, AnDrag should be able to work. This isnt pro football, he doesnt need to wrestle a 30 minute 5 star technical masterpeice. If he can work out without symptoms then he should be able to wrestle.

I'm not suggesting the WWE should get into a time machine and go back to the mid 90s and ignore concussions. I just think they should be logical and not overly restrictive. If he gets another concussion then hold him out a month.

Remember the initial symptoms of a concussion does not determine how long the concussion will last or how quickly one will be able to return to normal activity. Also according to A 2010 study of high school athletes with concussions (http://www.momsteam.com/concussion/c...ymptoms-manage) 85% of athletes with concussions had symptoms that lasted less than a week and only 1.5% lasted a month or longer.

Sara, I'm sure no one doubts Bryan will want to wrestle but WWE have shown to be hyper cautious recently. Agreed that any talk of him not being at Mania are ludicrous though. With EC in between WWE would have plenty of time to re-insert Bryan into the title picture. Theres Pens example or have someone (the Wyatts/Authority) take him out before the Rumble, I'm sure it can be done safely - found unconscious backstage, then you have the rumble winner, Cena/Punk for instance, put his shot on the line because Bryan was screwed.

However, I would rather Bryan go bell to bell in this one though. Just got round to watching the end of Raw, jeepers is he over and I don't imagine Vince passing up the visual of a Wrestlemanias worth of Yessing!

The best case scenario to me right now is that the WWE keeps him out of the ring till the Rumble, and then Bryan enters further down the card instead of #1 and wins it anyway. I reckon that's a long shot though; most of the wrestlers who suffered concussions this year took several weeks to get back, with AJ being the quickest at 3 weeks (unless I am forgetting something). Ziggler took over a month and Christian still hasn't returned. Given all of that, unfortunately I'd have to put money on Bryan missing the Rumble.

That said, long term I don't think this has any ramifications. Yes Ziggler lost momentum when he returned, but that was partially due to his issues backstage and he wasn't nearly as over as Bryan is right now. Like Pen said, if Bryan is supposed to win the Rumble, the WWE will simply have one of the heels win it (likely after they take Bryan's spot in the match) and then Bryan will defeat him at the Chamber to regain his title match. If he somehow isn't supposed to win the Rumble, then there's no affect at all. Either way, Daniel Bryan will be fine, especially since he likely will stay on TV as well.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Daniel Bryan will wrestle in The Rumble. To think anything else is madness. This is his spot they are talking about. This is his brass ring moment, Dude is over and may never be this over again. Daniel Bryan should look at what happened to Dolf Ziggler. He lost his spot by being out a month due to a concussion.
    It's not his call. It may not be ballet, but it is a publicly-traded company that has a written policy in place. A policy that states:

RETURN GUIDELINES
    • If a WWE Talent shows symptoms of a concussion or has suffered a concussion, then that WWE Talent will not be cleared for a return to wrestling until he/she passes an ImPACT test and is cleared clinically by a certified physician.
    • ImPACT tests are typically taken by WWE Talent within 24-72 hours post injury.
    • If the post-injury ImPACT results do not indicate a recovery, then that WWE Talent will not be cleared until he/she retakes the ImPACT test , passes the ImPACT test and is subsequently cleared clinically by a certified physician. Repeat ImPACT tests are usually administered 2-3 days after the first post injury ImPACT test.
    • If symptoms dictate and/or ImPACT scores warrant, WWE will send a WWE Talent for a direct consultation with Dr. Lovell at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
    • Any talent that suffers a second concussion within an annual year from said talents first concussion, that talent will not return to in-ring work until after a one on one evaluation by Dr. Mark Lovell
    (On a side note, that last point is interesting because it might mean that Ziggler's most recent concussion is less serious than assumed because he was sent to see Lovell personally)

He can be as symptom free as he wants, he can want to go as badly as anyone, the office can want him to go as badly as anyone. They have that policy in place, overseen by an outside doctor, to prevent that from happening and prevent the temptation to just rush a guy along from being there.

They take this deadly seriously, as they should. Coming back from a concussion early makes you more susceptible to another and making it worse. It isn't like other injuries where you can fake it and just work safe.

They have to think about his future and money that they can make off of him later. If he misses the Rumble, they can find another way to get him that match (assuming he was going to win in the first place). If he comes back early and makes his concussion worse, he could wind up like Bret and could have his career end before WrestleMania, before he reaches his full potential and before he can make another red cent for the WWE. Vince is about the money, he ain't going to risk that.

Bottom line: Bryan doesn't pass the ImPACT test then he's not wrestling at the Rumble.

I'm starting to wonder if we are being worked here. The WWE website themselves hasn't released a statement about this yet, which you feel they would as Bryan is one of their biggest names. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is some sort of plan here; perhaps Triple H does his interview with Michael Cole later today and says Bryan has a concussion and cannot compete in the Rumble. On RAW, Bryan disputes this, saying the Authority is making this up to keep him out of the Rumble, which Triple H of course denies. Somehow, Bryan gets into the match and wins it, only for Triple H to declare his win void because he wasn't cleared to compete, thus putting the #1 contendership spot on the line in the Chamber, where Bryan overcomes again.

I'm starting to wonder if we are being worked here. The WWE website themselves hasn't released a statement about this yet, which you feel they would as Bryan is one of their biggest names. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is some sort of plan here; perhaps Triple H does his interview with Michael Cole later today and says Bryan has a concussion and cannot compete in the Rumble. On RAW, Bryan disputes this, saying the Authority is making this up to keep him out of the Rumble, which Triple H of course denies. Somehow, Bryan gets into the match and wins it, only for Triple H to declare his win void because he wasn't cleared to compete, thus putting the #1 contendership spot on the line in the Chamber, where Bryan overcomes again.
    That crossed my mind as well, but there's no real way of knowing until Monday.

I just watched the match again as someone was kind enough to put all of RAW up on youtube. I am 95% sure this is a work; the only bump that could've caused him a concussion I think is the Russian Leg Sweep on of the Usos delivers to him when falling from the cage, and Bryan is being protected very well by one of the Usos there. Beyond that, nothing else looks too serious (the double backdrop off the cage Bryan received was absorbed mostly by his back. You can see it taking the brunt of the impact), and the fact that he was able to perform the match pretty much on point without looking off in the slightest (he doesn't do anything different than any other match of his I can remember) points to me that this is some sort of work.

Blunt Force Balls

As a guide, Dolph Ziggler suffered his concussion on a Monday in the match with Ryback and WWE.COM announced it on the Friday that week, same time period for Alberto Del Rio when he got one against Sin Cara a few weeks ago. Christian meanwhile was reported on .com until 8 days later.

Also I believe the Trips/ Cole segment is either filmed Monday after Raw or Tuesday before Smackdown (it is aired to the live crowd on the Smackdown taping's on Tuesday), so if the injury is legit I doubt the company will have even known about it or had time to script it in.

To go along with BFB's sig:

The best case scenario to me right now is that the WWE keeps him out of the ring till the Rumble, and then Bryan enters further down the card instead of #1 and wins it anyway. I reckon that's a long shot though; most of the wrestlers who suffered concussions this year took several weeks to get back, with AJ being the quickest at 3 weeks (unless I am forgetting something). Ziggler took over a month and Christian still hasn't returned. Given all of that, unfortunately I'd have to put money on Bryan missing the Rumble.
    Firstly, Bryan wouldnt even have to take a bump in the Rumble.

Secondly, Del Rio was out what? 16 days before that house show after appearing on Raw?

Thirdly, I dont think Bryan should go out there with dizzyness or symptoms affecting his balance or stamina. He would be a danger to himself and others. I just question how best to handle Bryan's concussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    It's not his call. It may not be ballet, but it is a publicly-traded company that has a written policy in place. A policy that states:

(On a side note, that last point is interesting because it might mean that Ziggler's most recent concussion is less serious than assumed because he was sent to see Lovell personally)

He can be as symptom free as he wants, he can want to go as badly as anyone, the office can want him to go as badly as anyone. They have that policy in place, overseen by an outside doctor, to prevent that from happening and prevent the temptation to just rush a guy along from being there.

They take this deadly seriously, as they should. Coming back from a concussion early makes you more susceptible to another and making it worse. It isn't like other injuries where you can fake it and just work safe.

They have to think about his future and money that they can make off of him later. If he misses the Rumble, they can find another way to get him that match (assuming he was going to win in the first place). If he comes back early and makes his concussion worse, he could wind up like Bret and could have his career end before WrestleMania, before he reaches his full potential and before he can make another red cent for the WWE. Vince is about the money, he ain't going to risk that.

Bottom line: Bryan doesn't pass the ImPACT test then he's not wrestling at the Rumble.
    Ive read that Football players are faking the answers to the ImPACT tests. In 2011, Peyton Manning suggested he purposely manipulated the test to get himself back earlier. At the end of the day ImPACT is a computerized concussion evaluation with inconsistent results, has high error rates and can be easily misled by deception.

Bottom Line, if Bryan isnt smart enough to beat the test he shouldnt be in the Rumble. I personally feel as long as he is over a week removed from the concussion and relatively free of physical symptoms while under strenuous activity he could be returned to limited in ring activity.

I think the ImPACT test is a hustle anyway with a far too high false positive rate in clinical situations.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 01-15-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Reality Champ
    Everyone handles concussions differently. Jordan Reed was concussed week 10 (or 11?) and ended up missing the rest of the season.

In 2011, Peyton Manning didn't play. However, yes, football players have tried to cheat the imPACT test. And if the team is smart enough, they generally don't buy it, though that doesn't stop them from trying. As far as Daniel Bryan, it depends on two things: how his body handles it, and how badly the WWE wants him.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Firstly, Bryan wouldnt even have to take a bump in the Rumble.

Secondly, Del Rio was out what? 16 days before that house show after appearing on Raw?

Thirdly, I dont think Bryan should go out there with dizzyness or symptoms affecting his balance or stamina. He would be a danger to himself and others. I just question how best to handle Bryan's concussion.
    He wouldn't have to take any major bumps, but he'd still have to take a few. His style does lend to him being open to head injuries, especially when he does those running dropkicks. In the end that doesn't really matter as there is risk in any match really.

I am guessing that this concussion is probably more similar to the ones Del Rio and AJ had than Ziggler and Christian, which does give him a good chance of being in the Rumble. Even still, I'd probably rest him up in ring wise till the event himself, just to make sure he is 100% ready to go for the Rumble.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    Everyone handles concussions differently.
    That's the long and short of it. Bryan could be better today, especially if he doesn't have a history of concussions.

I had two in the span of eight or 10 weeks (disclosure, a really mild one about a year before that, too). The first one wasn't too, too bad (I still don't remember most of the match but was more or less symptom free the next day, though), the second knocked me on my ass (almost constant vertigo) for six or eight weeks before I even started feeling like myself again. A girl that I know, on the other hand, bumped her head on a bunk bed when she was a councilor at a summer camp at 18 and still gets PCS symptoms every now and then.

It all comes down to the person.

But, like the ImPACT tests or not, they're the baseline that WWE uses, in writing, to determine whether or not someone can come back. You fake that test, come back early and get caught (and it's as simple as word getting back to the office that the guy you're rooming with noticed something off, or someone walking in on you throwing up after a match) and you're fucked. You think Bryan was treated bad these past six months? They'd keep him on the payroll just to destroy him before sending him back to the indies.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    But, like the ImPACT tests or not, they're the baseline that WWE uses, in writing, to determine whether or not someone can come back. You fake that test, come back early and get caught (and it's as simple as word getting back to the office that the guy you're rooming with noticed something off, or someone walking in on you throwing up after a match) and you're fucked. You think Bryan was treated bad these past six months? They'd keep him on the payroll just to destroy him before sending him back to the indies.
    You mean like Lawler throwing up backstage?

Lets be honest here, in clinical tests, inaccurate tests were found in close to 40 percent of the participants of the clinical trials. So lets say hypothetically Daniel Bryan somehow beats the test and returns early, under questioning he admits to still having slight symptoms but then he says he thought he was fine cause he passed the test. The test has enough room for error that he wouldnt be strung up. This is the current flaw in the test for the NFL.