Thread: Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Discussion

Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Discussion

What's everybody's thoughts on Smash Bros in the context of being compared to other fighting games?

I REALLY like the Smash Bros games for the Wii U and 3DS. It took everything great about Melee and Brawl, mixed them up, and added a nice HD coat of paint. Lots of features, too... So many characters with unique moves, weaknesses/strengths, and likenesses. I played Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombats 1, 2, and 3 religiously back in the day but Smash Wii U is the best fighting game I've played.

Tito, while I agree with the fun factor of Smash, and the popularity of Smash tournaments at video game events, I still prefer other fighting games for skill. I am more old school and will always enjoy Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, and am looking forward to the next iterations of each franchise arriving shortly. Next month's Mortal Kombat X looks to be very kid-unfriendly.

I got a handful of Amiibo (6-7), although I have friends that have them all and are wheeling and dealing all over the web.

Smash Wii U might be the most fun fighting game I've ever played. I honestly don't get tired of it.

*Reserved for a title sig*

Apart from 'Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots', there is no fighting game more fun than Smash Bros. The fact that you are using famous Nintendo/Sega names and pitting them against each other in a brawl to see who comes out on top is just plain fun in itself! Add in the chaos of 4 player or 8 player melees, no other game provides that unpredictability and fun/frustration other than Mario Kart.

Is it the best fighting game? It is very, VERY close. The only reason I say no is because... I can't think of a legitimate reason here. I really can't. You could say that it is a game attributed purely to luck, but you still need skill to make each character work effectively. Items pickups? You can turn them off if you wanted to but it is an inherent part of the game that adds so much more to the chaos that already happens. And it doesn't take years to master it, the learning curve is much more smoother in Smash Bros than it is with any other fighting game.

As much as I love Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and my beloved WWE games and Earthworm Jim, I can't say that any of them hold a candle to the popularity and ease of use of Smash Bros. Sorry Shang Tsung, I have failed you.

And besides, who doesn't like seeing Jigglypuff get absolutely fucked up by a Falcon Punch?

But there's more strategy to Smash than people think... You don't have a health bar that determines whether you win or not. It's about survival and changing your strategy if you are above 100% to avoid getting a Smash hit off the stage.

8 player Smash is pure chaos, especially with weapons. There's nothing like it.