Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOP Forums Feedback

Sweet, thanks Terry!

America
    Is anyone else having trouble getting to the main site. It hasn't loaded in a week for me.

There was a wipe of names recently, some who have posted as soon as the last 2 weeks (or less). Any update to why that happened?

it took me a day, but I just realized this happened to me. I had to re-register.

Yeah, I've had to re register.

There was apparently some sort of glitch on vBulletin's behalf that wiped out some legit names and users when deleting the banned spam accounts that had accumulated. An attempt is being made to restore those legit names but there's no guarantee it'll work. It looks like some folks may just have to sign up again. Which sucks, but was really beyond anyone's control since it was an internal glitch. On the bright side, measures are being undertaken to hopefully prevent such a thing from happening again.

Goldberg Rules!
    Can we get conciliatory tacos to make up for it?

No, but you may eat poop. You can put it in a taco shell if you wish.

You provide the taco shells.

Goldberg Rules!
    That's not nice. You'll hear from my lawyers.

May not be nice, but it is funny.

Goldberg Rules!
    I see you want to be named as a co-conspirator in the suit.

Solar Eclipse Of My Heart StormDragonZ's Avatar
    I kept thinking I forgot my password, but it seems I went poof. Nice to know I'm not banned.

A Professional Sort Of
    T.O.'s post count seems unharmed in the whole ordeal.

Question: Who do we need to chat to in order to change our usernames?

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    I see you want to be named as a co-conspirator in the suit.
    Yes, please.

You can hit up Terry or, if I'm not mistaken, PEN as it relates to having your name changed.

A Professional Sort Of
    No problems.

I'll keep it in mind.

I just re registered, I tried the contact us link twice but never got a response. Glad to see there was an explanation to why my account disappeared.

Tween Wave Superstar Steamy Ray Vaughn's Avatar
    Happened to me as well. Reregistered today

I had to re-register as well.

I registered as Marvin cause it wouldn't let me use my original name.

Can you change my name to notslap?

I don't think there are any admins that are signing in more than once a month.

I do. Daily. I just don't have name changing ability. At least not that I'm aware of.

See and here we go again, both of my posts deleted within the feedback forum, neither of which were derogatory.

Could I please ask that an admin kindly take action? At this point, regardless of where I post, it gets deleted for no reason.

stop crying and shoot the place up already.

There should be a chatbox so the whole community can chat when everyone is online if there isn't one already.

Why are the forums blocked for guests trying to view the forums? How do you ever plan on attracting new users to the forum itself if all people can see is the Columns Forum? You cant even gauge if its worth signing up for or not. That makes zero fucking sense. If the only gauge people have for discussions here is the MP comments then this place is utterly fucked. Who would sign up after seeing that drivel? How can you know if there are any conversations you might want to jump in on? The only time I have ever joined a forum is after seeing discussions I wanted to take part in. Cant do that here. Do you guys not want new people signing up? There has to be a reason for the madness.

Thanks for answering my question!

No wonder why this place is such a shit hole.

Hi. I'm fairly new here, but I would love to answer your question as constructively as possible. Let me first start of by saying that if you would like your feedback to be taken seriously as well as reflected upon in further discussions...it would be wise if you were a little less brash in your opening statements. Asking questions in a constructive way, rather than demeaning the very place you are posting on, is a much better way of accomplishing things.

Personally, I would agree that being able to see more of the forums as a guest is a plus. That being said, I came in here looking to join LPW, so I knew what I was looking for and had already made up my mind. For those who just read the articles, I would agree that perhaps a few of the competition boards could be Read-Only. I am, at this present moment, unaware of who would be in control of those regulations. It is indeed a factor I will endeavor to discover.

Now that the professionalism is out of the way...maybe if you weren't just an open asshole someone would have replied to you sooner. Member since '13. Almost 1000 posts, and yet here you are calling the place a shithole. If it's so bad then why are you still here? Oh...right...the internet. Let me go get my keyboard sword and mousepad shield.

3-2-0

Let's keep it civil, guys. Shithole or not, there are rules in place and they will be enforced. Consider this an official warning, Gavin. Calling someone an asshole is flaming. Were it anyone but Cold you directed it towards, chances are they'd have reported you and you'd be taking an unwanted vacation from the Forum. If this conversation is to continue with the same tone, I suggest it be taken to the FFA where that shit's allowed.

To answer the questions posed... I don't definitively know why the entire board isn't visible. I do know part of the reason. Terry is the one who made that call, as he does with all the big decisions. I believe Calvin had a say in it, as well, but I don't know that for sure and don't wish to speak on things I've no real clue about.

The reasoning behind it, if I recall, is that making the board visible to only members made it less attractive to spammers. We had a full on fucking spam assault a couple years ago. I was personally deleting and banning upwards of 20 a goddamn night sometimes. For whatever reason, spammers are less inclined to spam boards that can't be seen publicly. Our instances of spamming have gone down drastically since that change. The only reason that Columns and LPW were left visible to any and everyone was because it was specifically requested by myself and someone in power within LPW. I don't remember who. I personally requested it for the CF because making the columns invisible not only dissuaded people from joining in, it also prevented main page writers from linking to CF work and prevented the Wayback Machine at Archive.org from cataloging the threads, essentially wiping out entire blocks of CF history for anyone looking to peek back at old shit, as I'm apt to do somewhat regularly.

So... yeah. Spam is the reason, as I understand it. Only Terry knows the full motivation behind his decision to make that call, but I know that spam was at least a large part of it.

I don't feel the board is a shithole, myself. It's seen better days, by far. It's still a good place to come for creative endeavors and to chat about random shit. Posters are less active, including mods and admins. That, I presume, is why it took awhile for someone to answer this. I'm one of, if not the, most active mod/admins on the board these days, but I've had PC issues the last couple days. I saw the original post via my phone, but posting via mobile is a monster pain in the ass so I waited until I had my PC shit in order before replying.

You'll have to forgive me. I was in the middle of writing a shoot for my promo and I was a little mentally hot at the time. Haha. All good now. But yeah. Spam is probably the main reason. That's why I suggested a "Read Only" option for guests. I am unsure if it is available on these boards or not.

3-2-0

The Read Only option still encourages spammers. As it was explained to me, making things invisible discouraged the spammers from going to the trouble to sign up in the first place. If everything were able to be seen, they would still sign up and post shit because they'd have an audience. We still get them from time to time, but it is far, far less frequent than it used to be because LOP Forums is now, for lack of a better term, a less attractive target.

I would personally be in favor of making the board visible to any and everyone again. That being said, I would not at all enjoy having to basically troll the board all damn night to pick off spammers one by one. That shit got really old really quick.

Indeed. I can see where that would be a problem. Perhaps a simpler method would be to....well....as I type this out I really don't have a solution at the moment....well....this is awkward.....uuuuuh...Happy Monday?!

3-2-0

I want to give Ayatollah positive feedback for working as hard as he does to keep this place running strong, and in the artistry in which he does so. One request is more Ayatollah presence in the Writer's Lounge and Columns- too entertaining to be so scarce.

Make CoLd admin

Thanks, Kleck. I appreciate it. Worth noting that I'm always around in general, though, even if I'm not posting. I'll endeavor to find more random bullshit to toss in on the Lounge discussions, though.

Thank you, again.

Quote Originally Posted by notslap View Post
    Make CoLd admin
    "America is tired of hand wringing and indecisiveness and weakness in the LOP Office, We need to have strength and decision-making and authority back in the LOP office and that is why today I am proud to announce my candidacy for the LOP Administrator." - CoLD Kill for Administrator 2016

#MakeLoPGreatAgain

^ 9.3/10

Honest question does Tito ban people from his columns lol. I find it quite ironic I can read his columns from my phone but when I go on my wifi ti says I do not have access to his columns. Mind you I can read any other column but his including past ones lol. Interesting indeed.

As far as I know that's not possible. If it is, it would require power over the site on the level that only Calvin posesses, and I doubt he gives a flying fuck about who reads what columns.

Mind you, I may be wrong since I've little knowledge of how the mechanics of the main page work. I've never heard tell of such a thing, though, and never gained anything near that ability during my own main page stints.