Thread: December 2014 Columnist of the Month - SHINOBI WINS!

December 2014 Columnist of the Month - SHINOBI WINS!

Howdy, folks. Apologies for the delay in getting this up and running. I've been a busy fellow since the dawn of the new year and frankly just haven't had the time to sit down and do this properly.

I've actually got some stuff I'm supposed to be doing right now, so I'll cut short the chit chat and just get to the nitty gritty.

While 2015 has come rolling through the gates in (hopefully) happy fashion for all of you, we haven't quite gotten away from 2014 yet. December was a strong month for the CF, as has been the case for the last few months that came before it.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I WENT AHEAD AND DISMISSED THE WHOLE "MUST WRITE AT LEAST TWO COLUMNS" RULE. I STILL FEEL IT GIVES SNEAKY PEOPLE AN OUT TO BASICALLY WASTE A VOTE SO AS TO NOT HAVE TO VOTE FOR A DIRECT COMPETITOR, BUT I WAS ALERTED RECENTLY THAT MIZFAN ACTUALLY WON A COTM OFF OF ONE COLUMN BACK IN THE DAY. I DID NOT KNOW THAT PREVIOUSLY, AND IT KINDA NEGATES MY STANCE THAT NOBODY WOULD EVER DO THAT. SINCE, YOU KNOW, SOMEONE ALREADY HAS.

SO... YEAH. IT'S GONE. VOTE FOR WHOMEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT TO.

PARTY ON.

By that token, I am technically eligible to win this month and will be voting so as to maintain that eligibility. A dude can dream, right? I've asked TripleR to step in as Potential Tie Breaker Voter Guy since he an ineligible guy with veteran cred and no biases that I'm aware of. If he called you a poopiehead privately, let me know and I'll hunt up someone else.

Before we list the writer folks, how's about a refresher on the rules?

RULES

The winner of the Columnist of the Month contest will receive the prize of having one column posted on the main page of LordsOfPain.net

1). No voting for yourself.

2). You must vote to be eligible to win.

3). The candidate you vote for must have posted at least one column in the month of December 2014.

4). When voting, please name both the columnist and, if applicable, the title of their ongoing series in a bold and easily determined fashion. Makes it easier on us old mod folk to more clearly discern the votes, what with our cataracts and such.

5). Main page writers are ineligible to win this award.

6). Please refrain from editing your vote once it is placed, so as to not fuck up the tally. Some circumstances, such as a noob vote for a main pager, are the only loopholes to this one and will be pointed out and handled by a moderator.

7). If a candidate is caught campaigning for CotM, either publicly or privately, they will be disqualified and quite possibly banned.

8). Columns about columns (such as the State of the CF or End of Year CF Awards) are not eligible for COTM consideration and will not be counted in favor of their respective authors in the final tally for the month.

9). In the case of collaborations, all the main writers of the column who wrote the bulk of the collab need to vote to be eligible to win. In other words, anyone who didn't write just a handful of lines needs to vote. If Scott Turner and his partner, Hooch, got together and wrote the epic series, Turner & Hooch, and racked up upwards of 537 votes to take the contest in a landslide, then each of them have to vote or they'll lose, anyways. Ain't that a bitch?

10) You cannot vote for a former main page writer if said writer is less than 2 months removed from their main page stint at the time of the voting period. For instance, if Writer McGee just left his main page spot on January 15th and resumed writing in the CF, he is not eligible to win CotM until the April contest. This rule is included simply because it's kind of stupid to award a main page column to a writer who just gave up a gig in which the point was to post columns on the main page. If they wanted to be on the main page then they probably would've, you know, stayed on the main page.

11). In the event of a tie, the leading vote getters will joust. Nothing fancy. Just joust. BYOH. That means bring your own horse. Either that or I suppose I'll see if TripleR would be kind enough to cast the tie-breaking vote.

12). In the event that the moderator/administrator posting this is also eligible to win, any potential tie situations will be determined by a reliable outside party. If the moderator/administrator posting this is involved in a tie for the win then said moderator/administrator will automatically forfeit and the other columnist will be named the winner.

For your convenience, with great thanks to TripleR, here is the list of the eligible columnists and their columns for the month. If you find that something was left out, just let me know and we'll get it sorted.

List of Eligible Columnists/Columns for November 2014

Cult Icon
    An American Motion Sickness: The Mazza Cult Tribute Challenge
    An American Motion Sickness: Late Night Drives (Five Nights of Cult!)

Holding Steady
    The Hipster Heel

JacobWrestledGod
    The Wrestling God presents: PUNK.

Kingzak13
    Kingzak Presents: The PPV-star of the Year 2014, the Sequel

Kleckamania
    It’s complicated
    We Can Be Heroes!
    Punk Podcast: An Evolution of Industry?
    A Spanish Smackdown! Kleck’s Inquisition
    Excelsior!

LWO4LIFe
    El Gringo Loco: Is Triple H the Right Person to Takeover WWE?
    El Gringo Loco: Pimpinela Ain’t Easy review
    El Gringo Loco: The Top of the Ladder review
    El Gringo Loco: LU Review- Unique Opportunites

mizfan
    The (Motherflippin’) Bright Side is Back: A 3 Day Journey Into Whatever I Feel Like
    The Bright Side: Tomorrow Never Dies

Neoskizzle
    The Beauty of Grey

rayhagan1
    RAY IS WAR: A Christmas Miracle
    RAY IS WAR: My Pledge

SBK
    Detonating Nitro: Episode 11- Professional F#$%ing Wrestling
    Detonating Nitro: Episode 12- The Super Bowl of Wrestling

Shinobi
    The Devil’s Advocate: The A to Z of 2014 Part 1 (A-C)
    The Devil’s Advocate: The A to Z of 2014 Part 2 (D-G)
    The Devil’s Advocate: The A to Z of 2014 Part 3 (H-K)
    The Devil’s Advocate: The A to Z of 2014 Part 4 (L-O)
    The Devil’s Advocate: The A to Z of 2014 Part 5 (P-R)

Subho
    Sub’isms: Week in Review- 11/30-12/6
    Sub’isms: Week in Review- 12/7-12/13 (TLC Predictions, R-Evolution and LU!)
    Sub’isms: Week in Review- 12/14-12/20 (Back to Normal!)
    Sub’isms: Week in Review- 12/21-12/27 (Lucky 13th!)

tallmuslim14
    In My Perspective: New Year’s Revolution 2006
    In My Perspective: Over The Limit 2010
    What If It Happened

TheLAW
    My World: Ep. 5 “The Reality Era Just Got For Realzies!”

the horror
    Remembering Kayfabe #1

Uncle Leo
    A “Showtime” Productions [11]: Raw Running Diary
    Showtime Productions [12]- Slammy Awards + RAW Running Diary
    Showtime Productions [13]- TLC Review + Cena/Lesnar/Reigns Insight

Wrestlinsight Gav
    CM Punk to the UFC- Why This Changes Everything
    The War-Log #7:- The Rocker & The Master Plan- WWF vs ECW 17 May 1993
    The War-Log #8:- The Bomb & The Blondes- WWF vs ECW 24 May 1993
    The War-Log #8:- The Kid & The Rick- WWF vs ECW 31 May 1993

YourAyatollah
    Jennifer

zzzorf
    The King of Stats presents the 5 Greatest Wrestling Careers at Madison Square Garden
    The King of Stats presents the Greatest Wrestling Careers at Madison Square Garden
    Wayne’s World: LIVE Running Diary for TLC 2014

And there it is. Here's to a good competition!

Along those same lines, don't forget to send TripleR your votes in the End of Year Awards. There's about a week until voting closes and the more votes cast means the more fair the entire process is. It also at least somewhat justifies all the work that Trips and others have put into the whole process. So vote. For the EOY things and COTM. If you cast a vote here and not for the Awards, you're kinda lame.

Do it. Peer pressure. I will you to vote.

Voting ends on Tuesday, January 13th at 11:59 PM (CST) / 8:59 PM (PST) / Whatever the fuck o'clock :59 (other time zone I don't live in or know about)

I thought December was a strong month. There were so many honorable mentions for me that it's hard to list them all, but Sub and Shinobi and Zzzorf particularly stand out in that category. With that out of the way, I'm going to give my vote to Kleck this month.
    Read my latest. That's not a request.

THAT'S AN ORDER, MAGGOT!!!!

My vote is going to Shinobi this month.

I will not be overlooked...

Banned
    I'd like to vote for Steve (YourAyatollah). Please allow yourself to grieve as much as you can now, but also celebrate your sis's life my friend. God bless you and your family. I'll be praying for you.

Honorable mentions to RayHagan1 for his open mind and pledge to watch TNA for a year, and to zzzorf for producing 30 great wrestlers to grace the big MSG stage for the WWE.

Sorry I didn't respond to you zzzorf regarding participating in your series. It turned out great without me, but I wanted to do the very first one, Piper. That would've only given me about 12 hours to produce a piece on Piper. I felt that I couldn't do Piper justice in only 12 hours. I wanted to go all out with a Piper piece. Anyhow, I owe you a vote 1 day, so I'll be sure to help you out with a deciding vote if you ever need one in this here contest.

Same goes for you RayHagan1. I felt that you deserved the vote, but Steve's touching column transcends from more than just wrestling, but life itself. God bless you all. Happy New Year!

For The Outlawz
    The Zzzzorf man has put in more work this month than I have ever seen in the almost five years I've been checkin LOP out. My voteevote must go to the King O' Statisticus™

Hand over my heart shout out to you, Steve. Much love and blown the fuck away by your moving tribute to your siss.

Shinobi

Kleckamania gets my vote.

Shinobi

Despite his total failure to get the whole series done in the timeframe Shibobi.

Samuel Plan
    Shinobi.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is coming soon....

~ Samuel Plan

A tight month for great writing...loved the variety from Kleckamania and Shinobi in particular.... my vote's for Kleckamania.
    THE ONE ROOM SCHOOLHOUSE

Some shout-outs first. Gav deserves a mention - his series is still going strong. Subho has honed his reviews to a perfect combo of opinion and analysis, and I pretty much enjoyed zzzorf amazing countdown to MSG wrestling careers.

My vote still goes to Shinobi for being so awesome.

My vote's for Cult

Shinobi gets my vote!

HMs to Gav, Cult, mizfan, Kleck and LWO4Life. Excellent month all around!

Discussing RAW, Lucha Underground, NXT, SmackDown and Impact Wrestling ALL in ONE place!

(WrestleMania Predictions, too)

Two people remembered I exist?! So much for me disappearing quietly now.

Being serious now, I'm voting for YourAyatollah for one of the most moving pieces of writing I've ever read. Hell of a column. My best wishes to him and his family.

Ask not what you can do for Vince McMahon, but what Vince McMahon can do for you.

Thank you.

I loved what Shinobi did this month, but I enjoyed the work of Kleckamania just a wee bit more. Gotta go with Kleck.

^^^
    Check out my t-shirt shop, please. All designed by me.

^^^
    Check out my show on LOP Radio, too.

I wanted to start by saying I had nearly forgotten about december COTM- as while I wrote this month it was purely motivated by hitting my 50 columns on the year. To get votes from such excellent writers is awesome. Thanks guys!

For me it was about a dead heat between Miz and Shinobi. Miz produced my favorite column of the month and one of my favorites period. Do yourself a frickin service and read it if you haven't.

But because of the sheer amount of quality Shinobi produced in December, he gets my vote.

Lots of good writing from a lot of people.

I have to vote for the Mizfan. His column made me check out another promotion and I look forward to getting more into Chikara. Plus bringing back the Bright Side is not a bad thing, it's a good thing.

I'd want to give a mention to the amazing powerful piece by YourAyatollah. I will be honest, it was a bit much and I couldn't get through the whole thing because I was having flash backs and of me and my sister just watching old school WWF. When she had a boyfriend who was a big wrestling fan, and they had a conversation about wrestling in the 80's, her love for the Million Dollar Man and Roddy Piper, and basically all bad guys. And man, then I thought about you and your relationship with your sister and I was pretty torn. But yeah, it was a great piece. I have been reading little by little because I really want to give your sister respect, but yeah.

Joseph Shinobi wan kenobi

Lots of contenders this month.

My vote goes to Ayatollah, he made me cry.

Honorable Mentions to Shinobi for excellent quality work and Mizfan for the enthusiasm filled columns on Chikara.

Shinobi and Wayne put out great bodies of work, Cult, Subby, and Kleck are killing it as ever, Steve's piece was as powerful as any I've read, and I'm enjoying the hell out of Gav's series. BUT I have to put a vote out there for LWO, I love the way he is covering the great TV Lucha Underground is producing and I think it's a great thing to do. Very good month though from what I read.

For the record, I'm pretty positive I never won a COTM for just one column. I don't mind if the one offs make the list or not, just saying I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.

Well goddammit. So now people are lying to me just to get their way.

I sometimes question why I bother.

^^^

^^^

I'd throw a bar fridge at them person(winnebago)ally.

I will not be overlooked...

I actually still have a spare one from my bachelor days.

Voting is almost over. If you plan to have your voice heard, now's the time. Same goes for the End of Year Awards. If you voted in this and not in EOY, you're quite the poopiehead.

^^^

^^^

Alright, this thing is officially in the books.

A fair amount of variety with the votes this month, though it was really pretty much a one man race throughout. If as many people cast their votes for the End of the Year Awards as showed up to vote here, I believe we'll have ourselves a fun one.

Anywho, despite a strong showing from Kleckamania, the Columnist of the Month for December of 2015 is officially Shinobi. He somehow managed to pick up the votes of all his Right Side of the Pond compatriots. Shocker.

He had plenty more than just those, though, and wins this one handily. Congratulations, Joey. This marks the second win for Shibobi, the first since December 2008. So exactly six years between wins. Maybe there's hope for me yet. Anywho, Joey, you can send your main page column, whenever ready, to TripleR for posting. It'd be awesome if you could swing getting it to him by this time next month, at latest.

Here's the breakdown of the votes, for those who care about such things.

Shinobi- 10 votes
    Kleckamania - 4 votes
    YourAyatollah - 3 votes
    zzzorf - 1 vote
    Cult Icon - 1 vote
    Mizfan - 1 vote
    LWO4Life - 1 vote

On a personal note, thank you to those who voted for me.

^^^

^^^

Don't everybody congratulate him all at once, now.

^^^

^^^

Nice one, Shinobes, you really deserved that!

On a serious note, thank you to all who voted for me, even Maverick, who I know only voted because he thought it would be the hipster vote and that I wouldn't actually win. It means a lot, especially six years after my last.

Well done Shinobi. Well deserved. I was highly torn between you and Kleck, of course I backed the loser. Thanks Kleck. FML.

Seriously well done to you Shinobi, and to you too Kleck you guys (amongst others) really killed it last month.
    Read my latest. That's not a request.

THAT'S AN ORDER, MAGGOT!!!!

Well deserved Shinobes, the body of work you produced last month was truly impressive. How on earth did you go 6 years between winning one of these??

Samuel Plan
    Six years?! Jesus. You're like the New Age Outlaws.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is coming soon....

~ Samuel Plan

Congrats Shinobi! Very well earned. Looking forward to your MP column when it goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Plan View Post
    Six years?! Jesus. You're like the New Age Outlaws.
    #yesyesyes

Congrats Shinobi and all the vote-getters.
    THE ONE ROOM SCHOOLHOUSE