Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucha Underground General Discussion

Lucha Underground General Discussion

Thread for Lucha Underground shown on the El Rey Network Wednesday nights.

The Brain
    I absolutely love the presentation of Lucha Underground. I have thought for a long time that wrestling shows are really missing out by not embracing the fact that yes, they are on TV, there's no reason to film everything in real time and treat ever backstage segment like it's live and unscripted. It may be a tiny bit cheesy to some, but I think it's extremely effective and is the future of wrestling presentation on TV.

Really like the roster and most of the action too, it's got a very different feel in every way that the other wrestling you can find on TV right now. Definitely recommend people check it out, I've watched the first six and I recommend:

-Johnny Mundo (John Morrison) vs. Prince Puma (Ricochet) from episode 1
    -Fenix vs. Pentagon Jr from episode 5
    -And my personal favorite so far Fenix vs. Drago vs. Pentagon Jr from episode 4.

I hear the 3way ladder match between Mundo, Puma, and Big Ryck (Ezekiel Jackson) from episode 7 is a show stealer as well, and if you check out the Prince Puma vs. Big Ryck street fight from episode 5 you will see Johnny Mundo do something insane.

Check it out!

I just watched like every episode last night. In my opinion, Lucha Underground is the best wrestling TV show going. TV show being the vital part. The wrestling is fun and awesome but the production and the way backstage is done is just outstanding. You probably cant shoot like that live but I wish WWE would use some LU methods..

Son Of Havoc is one of those guys you should keep an eye on.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    Haven't been able to watch yesterday's episode, but I am changing my cable provider to Charter soon, which carries El Rey on it's Spanish package. I'm a bit excited. But I really need to watch the last episode, as I want to see how Aztec Warfare turned out. I've heard good things. As for the rest of the show, it's been great. I hope El Rey can really get behind it and find ways to get more eyeballs to the product.

El Rey simply needs to get in more homes. Freaking Destination America kills El Rey in ratings.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 01-09-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Yeah, most people will not order the Spanish package. I would anyways for AAA. But I'm use to watching Spanish tv.

4 new Luchadors are set to debut on LU this week, along with a singles match between Fenix and Prince Puma.

Looking forward to tonight's show. hope we get some more segments backstage.

For those of you who are interested in learning more, my Main Page column "Welcome to the Underground" reviews each show. This week's edition is up for your reading pleasure.

Rumor is Jim Ross will be joining Lucha Underground soon

Only as an interviewer hopefully.

*SPOILERS* Some updates from recent tapings. Expect to see Alberto El Patron (Del Rio) in early February, as well as a cage match that is taping this weekend (participants unknown at this time)

Banned
    I've watched the first show and last week's episode. The first show had me all excited like Rey Rey was going to show up, then bring Kidman, and we could have a WCW 2001 reunion again with the old Filthy Animals.

All jokes aside, that Sexy Star is quite sexy. Let's not forget the ring announcer lady too. Nice, and that's not usually my preference (Hispanic ladies).

The talent all show promise, and some, flashes of greatness, but the show is second rate production wise, and somebody please tell Vampiro Brother every other sentence seems to be more of a nervous tick or crutch for him rather than good color commentary.

This show wreaks of Mexican gangster culture influence also. Konnan acts like a Godfather, Dario Cueto acts like a kingpin, and Vampiro dresses like a retired street soldier that's been shot and tells his story from his wheelchair. Bonus: Vampiro looks like a former or current hardcore drug abuser/alcoholic. That's just my perception. If Sting didn't like working with him, much less having to follow the script and put Vampiro over, I don't either. But I did dig his Vampiro/ICP Dark Karnival run in WCW.

I'm following this series backwards actually. My next view is going to be the Aztec Warfare/Lucha Underground Heavyweight Title tourney.

John Morisson, Alberto Del Rio, Ezekiel Jackson, & Chavo Guerrero are who I'm most interested in seeing do well in Lucha Underground.

The other Lucha wrestlers bring a unique style, that of which, I can't remember seeing well since AAA: When Worlds Collide, NJPW Super J Cup, ECW, WCW, then the remnants in the WWE with what was left of Juve, Psychosis, Super Crazy, Kidman, X-Pac, Eddie & Chavo, & Rey.

One thing's for sure, it's good to see this back. Even better that it's got a whole show dedicated to that style specifically. No 3 hour mainstream product could do this style justice. It could showcase it though. Hope it happens more often in the WWE & TNA. Their products could use it.

I'll check this thread again someday. Hope Alberto El Patron debuts successfully with a bump to the ratings.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    I guess that El Rey has finally come to dish network because I stumbled across it on the guide earlier tonight. So I am finally going to get to watch Lucha Underground and see if it lives up to all of the hype. I wish that I’d been able to see it from the start but at least they are replaying the last two episodes tomorrow morning.

You can usually find it on dailymotion if you just search for it.

Thanks for telling me that. I’ll have a look and see if I can find it. Del Rio hasn’t debuted for them yet has he? I am looking forward to seeing that.

His debut hasn't aired yet. He was at the last taping though so he should debut in march or so..

Lucha Underground the way its done may not be for everyone, but so far what I love about it is, pretty much everything makes sense. Storylines aren't dropped and everything connects.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/...#video=x2fvua1

^^ All the episodes
    Last edited by Lazyking; 01-31-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks for the link. I just finished the first episode and it was certainly different than any wrestling show I’ve seen before. However I liked it. It felt really fresh and the wrestling was good. Especially the main event between Prince Puma and Johnny Mundo. I also saw a lot more familiar faces in the debut episode than I expected to. Although I am sure that was intentional on their part to draw in new viewers with faces they recognized. I probably won’t be all caught up by the time they air the next new episode on Wednesday but I am glad that I can see it from the start.

Really glad people are starting to find Lucha Underground. It's definitely a different alternative for those people looking for something new. I'm hooked, and I'm doing what I can to spread the word. ADR should debut in the next few weeks actually. I've heard Hernandez may be popping up as well, and the original Sin Cara, who will probably be more at home in the Temple than in a WWE ring.

It's the best wrestling product today from what I've seen thus far (I think I've watched episodes 1-9). It's taking everything in me not to watch the next three, as I want to save them for Monday night. Just great wrestling, the backstage segments are excellent (like movie scenes dare I say. What a novel idea) and just everything about it seems to work. That they've made Johnny Mundo/Nitro seem like someone who can talk and Chavo Guerrero compelling for the first time in ten years should tell you how good a job everyone is doing there.

The product is different, but I am not liking the action too much. Not Xdivision silly, but it's still too flippy non psychology so far.

^ Some of the stuff I'd agree is too flippy floppy. But keep an eye on Prince Puma, Fenix, Mil Muertes, Johnny Mundo, Chavo Guerrero, Sexy Star and The Crew (Cortez, Cisco and Bael). Those are the stars. Some of those have all the high flying moves, but mix it in with doses of psychology as well. If you're still mad about the Rumble, watch their Aztec Warfare match. And see how great Mil Muertes and Johnny Mundo function within the match.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    The product is different, but I am not liking the action too much. Not Xdivision silly, but it's still too flippy non psychology so far.
    Little known fact. When I was writing my reviews for Lucha Underground last month (I will be returning to do them this week) I had your mentality in mind of who I was talking too. Which is why I pointed out the little psychology that happened in the matches and tried to cross the lucha in-ring psychology with the more American match wrestling.

Also, any references I ever made to Randy Orton at all in any column I write is always a poke at T.O. LOL Now add Roman Reigns to that list.

Lucha psychology isn't always apparent but it is there.. and I think Underground is trying to blend it with more american style. I know that Chavo has been pushing for them to slow down a bit.

How much do you know about Lucha Libre then? This is typical of what you'd see in AAA in Mexico. They've actually "Americanized" for the US audience by bringing in Puma, Johnny Mundo, Big Ryck and Cage.

I know very little, because every time I try it, it is nonsense. Same for Wrestle Kingdom 9. Some of it is a nice change, but most of it is just silly.

I am not giving up on it, I have 4 more episodes downloaded. Maybe my mindset is too angry and picky right now after the Rumble. But I don't see this being my next choice.

I know very little, because every time I try it, it is nonsense. Same for Wrestle Kingdom 9. Some of it is a nice change, but most of it is just silly.

I am not giving up on it, I have 4 more episodes downloaded. Maybe my mindset is too angry and picky right now after the Rumble. But I don't see this being my next choice.
    I honestly found it to be surprisingly good on the psychology front. Then again I've never really had an issue with high flying anyway as I always feel the story for those matches is that the wrestler has to throw everything against the wall to win. Put it this way; if you grew up watching exclusively WWE for the longest time (and I don't know your wrestling history Pen but it's always sounded like to me WWE was your primary promotion), it'll take a bit to get used to here. If you grew up watching WCW and Japanese and American wrestling on top of WWE, then you slip in right away. In the end to me, the wrestling is great and the storylines LU has told thus far are exceptional, whether was Sexy Star seeking revenge on Chavo or even Mundo raging against Cueto.

Lucha Underground is actually way easier to digest than AAA. They've slowed it down and luchadors get caught more often trying big moves instead of the other person just laying there waiting. Just watch anything King Cueno does. I am fully satisfied with all his matches.

King Cuerno is my favorite character

Dude is just money in the ring.

Cuerno is pretty awesome. Also a big fan of Fenix. I like what Mil Muertes and Catrina bring as well. There is a great deal of story-telling and so far they've followed through on what they've started.

Catrina is the hottest woman in wrestling.

I agree. Catrina is just so amazing. I'd job to Mil Muertes and let him work stiff, because once Catrina licks me, it'll all be worth it.
    Last edited by LWO4Life; 02-03-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Hernandez makes his debut in the Temple this week.

meh don't really like Hernandez and they already have enough big guys imo.

Not surprised he's there. You know, Lucha Underground has many people I thought I wouldn't like, and then they turned out great. I'll give him a chance.

I’ve never really liked Hernandez either but I’ll keep an open mind and see what they do with him. I am only three episodes in anyways so it’s going to be a while before I see his debut.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    Not surprised he's there. You know, Lucha Underground has many people I thought I wouldn't like, and then they turned out great. I'll give him a chance.
    This. I've watched Chavo Guerrero since I was about nine years old; the only time he's ever been interesting was when he was with Eddie or when he carried around Pepe in WCW. Yet here in Lucha Underground he's become a compelling character. If they can do that for him, they can do that for Hernandez as well, who I've always thought was a tad underrated anyway.

I've always kind of liked Hernandez too, and he's debuting with a new partner from what I hear. The main knock on SuperMex is that he's kind of dangerous. If he can tone that down and clean things up a bit, LU is a great place for him