Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Results 1,001 to 1,038 of 1038

Thread: Lucha Underground General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    That new lucha show is going nowhere. I can confirm that it's being done by Aroluxe, the same company that involves the Harris Brothers and who tried to buy TNA last year before Anthem did. The word is that they deliberately kept their name out of the casting sheet because almost no one out there wants to work for Aroluxe (I guess because the Harris' both are connected to Neo-Nazis or something) and the project is probably never going to get off the ground.

I can also tell you right no that LU is never going to change for anyone. Maybe that means it goes under but I'd almost prefer (and I'm not the only one) that happen as opposed to the alternative. Look no further than Trips' point on last night's LU episode. It was out of this world, not just because the wrestling and emotion was great but because the storytelling was so far ahead of what most promotions are doing right now. With Catrina-Ivelisse and Marty-Fenix, they successfully concluded two storylines that have roots all the way back to season one and did so in a way that was 100% satisfying. And these weren't just regular stories; they involved one woman trying to overcome a supernatural being that had held her down for two straight seasons and a luchador and a woman who had to overcome a sociopathic stalker. They wouldn't have worked as well without those out of the box ideas, and it's part of what makes Lucha Underground special. If you take that stuff away and turn those into run of the mill feuds, LU is just like everything else. And I'd much rather they go down being different than being the same thing everything else is.
    Totally agree with this. All or nothing. It's being reported that there may be some money found for a 4th season, but it would highly impact the budget with considerably less money to work with, for production and talent. So that brings us back to the question, do you do it and suffer quality or only do it if you can keep going as it is.

If things weren't bad enough with that Aroluxe project, apparently they want to hire Russo as well.
    Catch up on my column series, Sound Of The Underground, only on Lordsofpain.net

The Brain
    Personally I'd rather still have a lower budget LU than no LU at all. My favorite thing about the promotion is the booking and assuming DeJoseph & Co stay on board, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to adapt to different circumstances and still entertain the hell out of me.

So the third episode of Ultima Lucha Tres was the less interesting of the three for me so far. The Sexy Star situation totally took me out of that match with Taya. I was happy to see the Trios Titles change hands and the Mack get a belt, but the Main Event just didn't do it for me. Nothing against Son of Havoc and Pentagon Dark, who put their all into it, it was just missing something.

On another note, there is a report going around that LU is being shopped to other networks because the money from the last two seasons is no longer there at El Rey. Sounds like some higher ups want to pull the plug while EVW, Vampiro and Dorian Roldan of all people want to keep it going. While the report of some potential lesser money gave a little hope, it sounds like that still might not help if there's no network to put it on. We're still in dire straits folks, and they're most certainly not going to put out money for nothing (see what I did there?)

The episode as a whole was good and I thought the undercard was the best it had been for the first three shows (Taya-Sexy was a surprise and actually was helped I thought by the situation; I really wanted to see Taya whoop her ass). The main event was a disappointment though and apparently was even worse live. WAY too much stalling to try and set up the ladders, chairs and tables. They got there by the end I think with the cool spots, but it was a slog at first; kind of like the Cuerno-Fenix ladder match without the great story behind it. Still a good show though and thus far I'd say the whole Ultima Lucha Tres thing has been a resounding success.

The Brain
    Have to wait to see this one due to travel. Will probably end up watching the last three hours all in one go. Fired up!

No words.

There has to be another season.

Please.

I've got it downloaded to watch, so will pick this thread up later on if I see one, but - I feel like to date UL3 is missing the cinematics that have held together, and really enhanced, the previous ones. I'm thinking about the way UL1 ended, with that glorious cinematic of everybody going on the next steps, Black Lotus and Dario driving away with Matanza in the back of a van, Aerostar blasting off to the moon. And UL2 with Dario getting arrested and stuff. There were others inside the episodes as well. But other than Ivelisse kicking Crane through a door there's not really been much other stuff on UL3, and that's kind of the stuff I really look forward to.

Just watch Oil, it will be there

The Brain
    Watching the finale tonight!!! Just saw the penultimate episode. Was a little let down by Pentagon/Havoc, I was very excited but there was a little too much furniture set up for my taste. Still enjoyed it, just less than I hoped I would. Was surprised by the quality of the Trios match, it felt a bit thrown together but everyone wrestled like they had something to prove, especially Mack who really did deserve a big moment after three seasons of great work. I'm digging the new champs and am curious where they go in season 4 (god willing!).

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I've got it downloaded to watch, so will pick this thread up later on if I see one, but - I feel like to date UL3 is missing the cinematics that have held together, and really enhanced, the previous ones.
    It will not be missing it by the time you're done. Oh no it won't be.

That last episode was a MASTERPIECE! May have been the greatest episode of a wrestling show I've ever seen. The great wrestling, the great crowd heat (the Temple was legit like an Attitude Era crowd), the twists, the turns, the surprises, the storytelling. If there isn't a season four after that, I will personally lead the charge to publicly shame MGM, El Rey, Robert Rodriguez, Mark Burnett and whoever else is responsible for its demise. THERE MUST BE MORE!

Bloody HELL.

Also, Vampiro's ultimate skeleton master better be La Parka. GIVE ME MY DAMN PISSED OFF NINJA SKELETON CHAIR GUITARING IN THE TEMPLE.

Squared
    The last thing I heard (two days ago) was a bit cryptic, but seemed to suggest that Lucha Underground wasn't going to be coming back. Any truth to this?

No idea really. There's an internal struggle between those that want to continue and whether or not the network is willing to go ahead. Also, there's the issue of where the money's coming from and whether or not a decreased budget would work with the quality of the show.

Chris DeJoseph has no news either, so that's equally frustrating. So right now.....limbo

It'll never happen but too bad WWE Network can't come in and save it, without providing any creative input. Basically just funding it some and airing it. UFC Fight Pass broadcasts non-UFC events.

Could their best bet be something like WWN?

The Brain
    If budget is a problem for El Rey, I don't think there's any way that WWN would be a viable solution. If they can't work it out with the network, I still think something like Netflix is the best bet, though possibly a long shot.

Personally if it's a choice between lowering the budget or flat out cancelling, I would take the lower budget. The best thing about LU is the storytelling, and as long as the writing staff stays intact I feel like I could live with budget cuts. Ideally it could come back at full strength but goddam, I just want it to continue.

Season 4 is a go. Confirmed by their twitter. I need season 3 on Netflix. I don't have El Rey and i'm not paying for it either only way to watch live i can find a way but i got way behind. They kill most of the video sharing.

I’m sure it will be out before season four debuts.

Great news.

Today is the greatest day I've ever known.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar

Has Vince McMahon Lost Confidence in Roman Reigns.

Super excited

Yes!

The Brain
    Wahoooo!! The best news I heard all week! Can't wait to see it, hopefully it doesn't have to come out TOO late in 2018. Have they started filming at all yet?

No, they're filming in 2018 from what I gather. Nothing substantial in terms of news yet, just the best news of renewal. Plus this popped across my timeline the other day.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/929457641306206208

Can Penatgon Dark still be Penatgon Dark?

The Brain
    I've been curious about Kross for a while, heard of him and know he worked a lot of dark matches for LU so it'll be good to finally see him.

As far as I know, Lucha Underground holds the TM for the Pentagon Dark name so he shouldn't need to fuck around with 0 El M or any such weirdness.

He'll be Pentagon Dark. Like mizfan said, LU owns the trademark (they were granted it right before season two started filming if memory serves) so he can use it there.

Judging from the number of LU talent who has retweeted the news (not counting Kross and Mundo) it thankfully does appear most of the roster will be back, though I'd expect a few departures aside from Sexy Star and Prince Puma (Jeremiah Crane and Matanza seem most likely to me). I'm a little concerned that the budget for the show may be significantly lower, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there; for now I'm just relieved to be getting season four and that we'll get to find out just what Pentagon can do as the undisputed top guy for LU.

The Brain
    FUCK, I'd hate to lose Matanza. Isn't he on one of those nifty 7 year contracts? Cobb is not my ALL TIME favorite but he's quite good, and Matanza is such an important character to the Luchaverse. Plus, isn't he basically only famous because LU discovered him and gave him a platform? Not that he should be forced to stay there out of loyalty, but you'd think unless he was going to WWE he'd be smart to stay there.

Not sure how I feel about Crane leaving. I think Calihan is generally overrated but I've liked him a lot more in LU as opposed to anywhere else, and his character has a really interesting story going on that I would hate to see be derailed.

While Ricochet is certainly gone, when I spoke to Eric Van Wagenen a while back he did say that "PUMA" was an integral part of LU, so passing the mask down may not be out of the question as they've done with El Dragon Azteca Jr. We'll see.

I also want Matanza to stay. Crane I'm indifferent on, but like Mizzie I do like his character in terms of Mil and Catrina.

Sexy Star can kick rocks. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Um......can we get Rosemary in LU?

I could see Cobb wanting to branch and get to WWE sooner rather than later.. i mean i haven't watched Season 3 yet, but don't you have to wait to leave to go elsewhere if the show hasn't aired? Thus, it could be til 2019 when LU ends. That's a long time in wrestling.

The Brain
    Haha, yeah Sexy Star can fuck off. Even before all this Taya/Rosemary stuff, I never liked her that much. She had a certain charisma but by the time she was winning the title she was pissing me off with her extremely weak offense, and then with everything else, yeesh, no thank you.

I'd be all about Rosemary getting integrated into LU. Hell, we're a long ways away from Hernandez getting blackballed for working both shows, and it seems like that's going to be happening a lot now. I could see a lot of great talent going on loan from Impact (but please, PLEASE, no more ADR!).

I don't foresee many talent exchanges between LU and Impact beyond the ones we already have. A big reason those happened was because LU execs knew it would be awhile before season four would start filming (if it would at all) and thus gave permission to Mundo, Taya, Callihan and others to appear. Now that LU is back the only crossover I see is the ones who already appear on both, or between guys who work for AAA (who has a relationship with both).

I don't have any info concrete on either Cobb or Callihan leaving, but it has been indicated to me that both guys (as well as a few others) have been frustrated by the long breaks and may want out so they can better control their own destiny. Of the two of them, I'd prefer Callihan returned. Cobb is great (especially as Matanza), but an argument can be made that his monster push was more harmful than helpful and I'm not sure he's a dynamic performer when you take him away from the Matanza gimmick or his tag team with Matt Riddle. Callihan meanwhile just fits so well for LU; he feels like their Raven and his unique personality really stands out there as opposed to some of the indies he frequents. If it's between the two, I'd keep Callihan and let Cobb go if he really wants out. It's a loss, but as long as Dario and whoever his father is are around then it's fine.

The Brain
    I like Cobb in general, but he does seem to be better as Matanza or with certain guys. It pains me to admit but you MIGHT be right about his initial push being too much, I enjoyed it but I know not everyone did. I still think he has more value that Calihan but it's true that with Dario and the core story intact, LU will be fine regardless.

Eric Van Wagenen was on Masks, Mats and Mayhem last night (pretty much the premiere LU podcast if there is one) and he dropped some info on season four. There will be less episodes this time around than there were in season three (closer to the episode count found in season two), LU will be attempting to work with IMPACT, ROH, Stardom, Pro Wrestling Noah and others on talent exchanges to allow their talent to have work when they aren't filming, production of season four should begin in February and episodes are likely to appear on El Rey starting in May. There definitely are going to be budget cuts which will likely result in some people in certain production departments being let go, a slightly bigger emphasis on in ring action than the backstage scenes (though they'll still be featured) and episodes being filmed every weekend as opposed to every other weekend. EVW didn't confirm who is or isn't coming back, but he did seem to indicate that most of the roster will return, that there will definitely be new faces brought in and that even Rey Mysterio might come back depending on how much he asks for. The only person seemingly confirmed to be gone (aside from Puma) is Sexy Star; everyone else has a strong chance of returning and those who don't want back in will be able to get out upon finishing whatever story they're doing.

There's more to it than just that, but that's the basics. If you want, you can listen to the whole podcast here.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    If that's true, then I'm all in. I worry that this will be the last LU season, but I think these cuts could help make it successful. Hopefully they can make this profitable.

Has Vince McMahon Lost Confidence in Roman Reigns.

The Brain
    I like the idea of working with other promotions more. One of the strangest but most entertaining episodes in LU history was Pentagon in a gauntlet match against the entire Stardom main event scene. Fewer episodes is a bit of a bummer but maybe it will make future seasons more appealing to El Rey, since it's less of a commitment. May feels far away, but I'll be waiting with baited breath for it to get here! The saddest part to me is hearing there will be fewer backstage vignettes, as those are often my favorite part of the show, but I have confidence they'll maintain a good balance. Sexy Star can fuck off, everyone else I'm fine with coming back or mixing things up with fresh faces too. Let the waiting begin!

Haven't listened to the podcast, but I just read that the budget issues are basically due to El Rey directly funding it in place of the guys who have dropped out.

To be honest, I think a few less episodes is probably a good thing. Sometimes they overdo things a little and it feels like they're stalling for time, if I'm being hypercritical. Hopefully it focuses the writing.

Not super cool with them doing less (or less cool) backstage bits, but if it's what's needed to keep this precious baby going I'm good with it!