Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucha Underground General Discussion

Holy shit, that is him! The only thing I could find about him or his father wrestling in America was when his father competed in the Royal Rumble that year. Thanks for finding this Lazyking.

That's a good match too, even though the crowd is asleep for it. More evidence of how talented Perro was and what a shame it is that he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Holy shit, that is him! The only thing I could find about him or his father wrestling in America was when his father competed in the Royal Rumble that year. Thanks for finding this Lazyking.

That's a good match too, even though the crowd is asleep for it. More evidence of how talented Perro was and what a shame it is that he's gone.
    This match is a double whammy for me. Abismo Negro was one of my favorites...and the circumstances behind his death hit me hard. It was another one of those wrestling deaths that just caught me off guard. Definitely a great find LK.

And that casket match was awesome. But I like the whole set up and build to this match. Now we see how both guys move from here. LK had some really good ideas on twitter for how to proceed.
    Return of the Mack! Formerly (Lucha Extrema & LE.1)
    @Brooklyn_Ike on twitter

Lucha Underground apparently held a tribute ceremony for Perro this past weekend at their tapings, with Sexy Star (who I believe was close with Perro) leading a ten bell salute. The tribute will likely air before the new episode this Wednesday, and at the very least a graphic will be shown in Perro's honor. Definitely worth checking out.

On a positive note, the LU had a huge presence at RAW last night. Son of Havoc, Prince Puma, El Mariachi Loco and at least one other guy were in attendance, there was a couple Dario Cueto signs in the crowd and Mariachi Loco apparently started a "Lucha" chant at one point (my friend is claiming he heard a Son of Havoc chant, but I can't confirm that). Great to see the LU is building a presence in Los Angeles.

Yeah I heard about them being in attendance. Surprised the Dario Cueto sign didn't get yanked away from them. And yes, there was a Son of Havoc chant.

Lucha underground tonight fuck ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    Lucha underground tonight fuck ya.
    The best wrestling going today! You don't even need Brock Lesnar re-signing to get excited!

Nope just two awesome main events. Likely to show bit of the perro tribute if they can fit it in. this show needs to get on more TVs soon.

It really does. Hopefully El Ray can get into more homes sooner than later. Hell, maybe we can even do a live LU thread! Somebody get Storm!

Is it just me, or is the LU really stepping up their game recently as well? I can't recall a bad show to begin with, but the last two featured two of the best matches they've ever produced (Mundo-Cuerno in a cage and last weeks epic) and this week features two matches that can at least come close to equaling them. Seems to me like they are really going all out, and I love it.

I think alot of their storylines are peaking right now as well. They've hit the reset button only a few times. The thing we have to watch is what they do after this week. They bring all these different guys, someone's coming in to be Pentagon Jr. Master for example. Just hope the writing doesn't get burnt out.

I think Ivelisse will be on this week too.

Don't forget that we're going to find out about this Matanza guy sooner or later as well. That should be a reveal the way they've been building that.

I keep forgetting about Pentagon Jr.'s Master. When the angle first started, I was hoping for Ultimo Dragon, partially because of the Japan connection and largely because I miss Ultimo Dragon. I'm starting to think though that this Master isn't a person though.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    I was all caught up but fell behind recently due to all of my recent trips to LA. So I’ve got the DVR set to record the last two weeks worth of episodes and tonight’s brand new one. Hopefully I’ll be all caught up again before the day is over. I am looking forward to seeing the cage match, casket match I’ve heard so much about and the two championship matches tonight.

Since I found the El Rey Network on Dish and started watching the product I’ve really enjoyed it. The presentation is very different than any wrestling show I’ve seen before but more importantly the wrestling is fantastic.

The Brain
    Ultimo Dragon might actually work, he does own Toryumon Mexico down there anyway though I'm not sure if they cross promote with AAA or anything.

Another thought, Pentagon's master could be Matanza himself, an agent working for him on the outside or something... just a thought.

I heard a rumor that it was actually supposed to be Perro..when I thought about it, I don't believe Pentagon Jr. needs a master unless they were a tag team, why can't he go for the title by himself? Its not like he needs a master to kick ass.

If Cage doesn't win the belt, Pentagon Jr should be next in line.

The Brain
    I really don't see Pentagon's "master" as someone who will also be wrestling, more of a manager or something. But hell, maybe Cult's right, maybe it's something conceptual or something. With LU, who knows? The creative gloves are definitely off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I heard a rumor that it was actually supposed to be Perro....
    Man, that just makes me even more sad if there was any truth to that. I wouldn't doubt it though, as Pentagon Jr. was part of Los Perros del Mal in AAA, and Perro seemed like someone who was destined to wind up in the LU eventually. Just terrible.

On a less sad note, I was thinking more along the lines of a manager as well for the master. Hence I thought Ultimo was great for it (even though he's still apparently tearing it up at nearly age 50). I'm just saying it also wouldn't surprise me if it was something that didn't exist.

The Brain
    Why do I also get a feeling it might be Konnan... maybe it's just Vampiro talking here, but I keep expecting Konnan to turn on Puma in favor of someone else.

That's just Vamp being Vamp. Him and Konnan have a long, LONG kayfabe and real life history together. They feuded in real life for years during the early 90's, and even after they patched things up when working together in WCW still continued it in kayfabe. Notably, the two had a major feud with each other back in 2009 as well when Konnan was trying to take over AAA. Unless I've missed something, the two are still hostile towards each other, hence Vamp continues to bad mouth Konnan.

With supermex coming in, I could def see konnan turning.

Yet another awesome LU episode. Not as good as last week, but there's no shame in that. Really liked seeing Son of Havoc get that win too. Really cool feel good moment there.

Feel good? He hurt my baby Ivelisse.

lol great show loved Alberto really selling the nearfalls. if he kicked out too early that match doesn't work as well.

Hope we see Fenix next week.

Sorry man. I like Ivelisse as well, but she had it coming. Plus, how can you not like Son of Havoc? He's pretty much a masked Daniel Bryan with hops.

I hope next week we get a little more development on the Matanza and Pentagon Jr angles. Seeing Fenix again would be fine, but they can keep him off an extra week to sell the beating. Make next week about Pentagon Jr., the Matanza angle and who's next in line for the LU belt. Speaking of which, who should be next in line?

I think it should be pentagon jr. With Hernandez feuding possibly with Cage, big Ryck a babyface and Fenix selling the beating, no one else really fits. King Cuerno lost his feud with Mundo.

I guess they could do Mundo again.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    Yeah I agree that Pentagon Jr. should be the next person to challenge Prince Puma. Not only is he the most interesting character in Lucha Underground right now but he has the hot hand. Cuerno lost his feud to Johnny Mundo and Mil Muertes lost his to Fennix.

Remember, the winner of the Best of 5 between Drago and Aerostar will probably get a title shot

Big news here guys. The Wrestling News Observer reported yesterday that the LU is working on putting together a massive show this August (earlier in the month) which they are referring to as their "Wrestlemania." The show will be two to three hours, most likely being shown on El Ray instead of PPV. It's being tentatively called Ultimo Lucha.

Its the season finale episode. At least in this 39 episode deal. I looked a bit ahead on this site called luchablog.. great site for lucha/cmll btw.

I need to check that site out.

So if that's the season finale (wrestling having a season finale?!), when would season two begin? Would it be immediately, a few weeks later or longer?

i'm not suee but i did read a second season is pretty much a lock.

LU being the tv product it is it makes sense to have finakes but i wouldnt take much time off. also read they are looking into touring

I would be all over a LU show here in Rhode Island. Make it happen!

I couldn't be any more stoked for this Ultimo Lucha show. The way they are doing things in the LU right now, that could be show of the year. I'd bet anything that's where we are going to get the Matanza reveal as well. We're totally doing a Live Thread for that show Lazyking. I don't care if you and I are just talking to each other for three hours, it's happening.

They took a two week break during Christmas and New Year which was kind of like their mid season finale. So, I'm hoping the break for the new season isn't too long.

I would guess it wouldn't be unless they were simply canceling it. Like Lazyking said though, it seems a lock to be renewed, so I'd expect it would be back after at most a month hiatus. It wouldn't shock me at all however if they were simply back the week after.

Why can't it be August now dammit?! I really want to see this show. Perhaps my expectations are too high, but with the amount of great wrestling and potential surprises that could be in play, it's hard not to be excited right now. This could really be a big deal if the LU nails this show.

Thing about this show is they can introduce all these new characters, phase them out then bring them back. Ultimo Lucha should be the culmination of everything. I'd be fine with like a two month break if you left the show on a cliffhanger lol.

This show has to be expansive for El Rey though. Rodriguez can afford it but how long with this type of clearance? TNA does better numbers then them.

It's not just Rodriguez who is backing this though. Mark Burnett, the guy who produced Survivor and the Apprentice (among other things), is one of the producers of this show, and I know that he is in partnership with AAA (hence why you see so much AAA talent on the LU). In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the whole point of the LU is for AAA to make inroads into the US with their own promotion. I could be wrong, but with that kind of backing and that kind of passion behind the scenes (I've been told that Rodriguez and Burnett are very involved and very focused on making the LU succeed, and we know AAA is), I don't see there being a problem going forward as long as they stay within their limits.

The biggest number LU has done till date was on 4th February. 74,000 viewers; the main event was Cage vs. Mundo. Viewership has increased after El Rey was added on Dish TV, but they definitely need to think about something else if they want more eyes on Ultimo Lucha. Why not do it as a traditional PPV? AAA will have its influence, regardless.

AAA are partners in this like Cult said, besides the gimmick changes, its all AAA talent. Even the people they bring in like Cage have wound up in AAA The production of the show is on another level though and that's what I fear being cut down if they can't grow. It just really sucks cause more people should support this great show.

I would so buy a blu ray set of the first season.

Gosh, only 74k? I don't know how the cable system works in the states. Does it not go into many homes on whatever channel it airs on?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking
    I would so buy a blu ray set of the first season.
    That's gotta be their trump card in all of this! Marketing it like an actual TV show. If they go all out with it; create websites explaining the characters, storylines, etc., have more guest appearances (like Danny Trejo), they can easily become bigger than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Does it not go into many homes on whatever channel it airs on?
    El Rey is a really small time channel. LU's average rating has only been 33,000 viewers. The 74,000 spike was because of being added to a new service, but it fell down to 56,000 the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg2005 View Post
    Gosh, only 74k? I don't know how the cable system works in the states. Does it not go into many homes on whatever channel it airs on?
    It doesn't. its a fairly new network, a niche one at that. I'm not sure how many homes but its considerbly less then say USA or Spike... even lsss then Destination america.

Rey Mysterio last night said a deal with Lucha underground is close. He could help.

Does no one on a big channel want to pick it up or do they just want to stick with El Rey?

El Rey is Robert Rodriguez's channel and he backs the show so I highly doubt he'd move it. It's also on a Spanish channel in Mexico and it apparently does good numbers ( like half a million)