Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AJ Styles

Squared
    It's got to be in their thinking, either for the title or not. They'd be foolish to not even consider it.

@lopprimetime

the only other option i could really see is if they were high on Roode enough to turn him heel and do Roode/AJ at mania... but that doesn't really excite anyone i don't think.

Edit: Also interesting factor is i don't think AJ is winning at mania in a WWE title match so whoever you put the title on, you need to either be able to run it back in rematches or have someone fresh for them to feud post mania.

Squared
    The issue for me there is that they ran that match so many times in TNA. Not a deal breaker by any stretch but there's a big part of the audience for whom that match isn't going to be that special.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    It'd be exciting for me to have Roode in a title match at 'Mania. I'd prefer he was against somebody with more of a character he could play off of though.

Squared
    If the stuff about Styles wanting to walk away at 42 are correct then they've only got two more Wrestlemania matches with him left, so they'd better make the most of 'em....

@lopprimetime

Alot can happen in two years. Not saying AJ will hang around past his expiration date; always said he doesn't want to feel like he can't perform at a top level but I think he'll look at things and see where his body is. 2 years from now as well, the landscape of who is where will be changed as well. I think any opponents AJ has to be those where he can have some great matches. That should be AJ's role at mania. Do Nakamura this year and I think Seth Rollins... Neville if he's still around.. Guys like that. Who knows, maybe even Omega will be here in 2 years.

Either way, AJ Styles has has one hell of a career and to think coming out of TNA in 2014 thinking his career was at a crossroads. I never thought he'd be in WWE. Not only is he in WWE. He's one of their top featured guys. Phenomenal.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 11-27-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Squared
    So the consensus of opinion I have seen lately suggests AJ has to retain against Jinder at the Clash.... That your reading of events?

@lopprimetime

He doesn't have to, just that he should.

There is still the belief/rumor that Jinder will go into Mania with the WWE Title only to lose it to Cena.

The Brain
    Am I correct in hearing that Smackdown has continued to be generally lousy even after the title change?

The KO/Shane stuff is already old, and has been going on for longer than necessary. And now they have Orton (yawn) taking on KO for Shane.

You have Styles still facing off with Jinder who is trying his best, but he just doesn't connect.

And you still have the Usos facing the New Day.

There is nothing there, and not enough big name talent to do anything with.

I'm hoping Neville joins SDlive post clash of champions so we can get a Neville/Styles match at the Rumble.

I don't think a Neville/Styles match will happen too quickly.

We will get the blow off match between Styles and Jinder at the Rumble where most likely Jinder wins back the title so he can lose it to Cena at Mania.

Then Styles will be setting up his Mania feud which will be against ????, but definitely NOT Neville.

I can, however, see a post Mania feud between them.

I think AJ is keeping the belt through to Mania. In fact, I'd say the two roles in your post there Powder are reversed - AJ retains here, which is Jinder's contracted shot, and he ends up with a new challenger at the Rumble. Jinder sets up a feud through the Rumble match.

I'm leaning towards a Mania triple threat for AJ - AJ vs Zayn vs Owens - and away from AJ vs Nakamura at the moment. I don't know why, just something in my gut says we're not going to get the latter match this year.

Yeah I think we're more likely to see Shinsuke face Orton at Mania than AJ. And Oli's on the right track I believe with Styles/Owens/Zayn. Hopefully RAW takes a similar approach at Mania and books Lesnar/Reigns/Rollins/Ambrose for the Universal Title. Brock essentially taking on The Shield intrigues me.

How does Owens being number 1 contender now make you feel about your prediction Oli? Think there is any chance Owens wins the title at RR and Zayn wins the rumble?

Squared
    Speaking of Zayn, first match between him and AJ in a WWE ring booked for this week's Smackdown.

@lopprimetime

After the Rumble, is it set in stone that AJ gets to Wrestlemania as champ or is there any possibility of a swerve and a title drop?

I don't think a swerve is coming. Mainly because I think Owens or Zayn are turning on each other. There's no other options for a new champ

The Brain
    I doubt they'd change it at this point since it's the match that will pacify smark fans no matter what they do at 'Mania, but they may tease it on the road, probably by giving them Sami and Owens to work with some more before they move on to whatever the 'Mania payoff is for their storyline.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    Nak vs AJ is going to happen. To me, I wouldn't say nothing because the WWE title match, no matter the position on the card, is THE most important match at WrestleMania. Any WWE title match at a WrestleMania goes down in history.

Who would have thought five years ago that the Wrestlemania 34 "main event" would be AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the WWE Championship. Holy cow.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 01-31-2018 at 03:40 PM.

I think there's every chance of a swerve, to be honest. Zayn Vs Owens next week, one of them gets the shot at AJ, before you know it you've got Zayn Vs Nakamura as the title match through shenaniganary.

I don't think they'll do that, I think they know the buzz is for Nak Vs AJ. But it wouldn't surprise me.

I can't see it. You then wouldn't have a match for AJ at Mania. KO/AJ been done to death, they've done Cena/AJ alot, its a great match but without the title it means less. Unless HBK said he would come back to wrestle AJ, I can't see him losing the title before then.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    AJ is taking this match to WrestleMania. I think AJ/Nak is Vince's way of throwing fans a bone because he's ending the show with Reigns beating Brock for that ugly red paper belt. And to me, I'm actually glad. It's like the Universal title is for Vince, and the WWE title is for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I can't see it. You then wouldn't have a match for AJ at Mania. KO/AJ been done to death, they've done Cena/AJ alot, its a great match but without the title it means less. Unless HBK said he would come back to wrestle AJ, I can't see him losing the title before then.
    I mean there could be potential for an AJ Styles Vs. Fin Balor rematch from TLC IF they were to go the Sami Vs. Naka route. Though, that would be preferable around The Bullet Club.

I still think it's more probable that Naka vs. Styles happens. The question is, will they turn one of them? Or will it be a face vs face match at Mania?

I would prefer a baby face match, I think that it'll feel like a bigger deal that way.

I predict it will be face/face. I think the booking will be interesting too.

Nakamura will need to win if they want him to be a true main event player for years to come. Losing on the biggest stage, in the biggest match of your career, is very difficult to overcome - and as good as Nakamura can be, he's still a guy whose reputation for greatness hides the fact that he's really only had maybe 3-4 great matches on the main roster (with 2 of them being multi-mans, IMO). AJ Styles lost to Jericho at WrestleMania a few years back but AJ Styles went on to deliver the Match of the Night for practically every show he was on between 2016 and today, basically averaging a home run on PPVs and just exceeding even the hypest of hype. I don't know if Nakamura has that ability.

Or they stick with AJ. I think it'd be a bad move, but I could also see it being a very "Vince" move in that sometimes he likes to test the mettle of his talents, like he did with AJ and even Jericho, by letting them get close enough to taste the title before pulling it away and seeing if they have what it takes to re-climb the ladder.

If I were fantasy booking it, I'd have Nakamura take home the W and then give AJ a deserved 4-week vacation/house show-only role while you build towards a KO/Nakamura match. In the meantime, maybe a Draft has shaken things up and put some fresh heels onto the Blue Brand or Orton will be a heel by then and you can run Orton/AJ, which doesn't necessarily need a title. By SummerSlam, AJ can get back into the title scene, maybe even demanding the rematch he never got after Mania.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

The Brain
    I don't think Nak will ever take the AJ spot of having great matches every night. Even back in New Japan that was never his MO, he's a big match guy who turns it up to 11 when the spotlight is brightest, and has a tendency to be lazy in matches that aren't as important. I still think it'd be crazy not to go with Nak though, people are still mostly into him and a big 'Mania performance will only bring more people back on the bandwagon. I agree, switch AJ back into the title scene down the line, as he's too valuable not to use on the top level.

People are down on Nak from the hardcore base and I think they could do a better job with Nak connecting him to the audience but he is over and people want to see this match again. I think changing it would just annoy most people.

Squared
    There's a rumour on the 'net that WWE is trying to prepare a Styles vs Mysterio dream match. It'd be the first time they'd met in a televised bout, I think, and the first time altogether except for a shortish match on a 5-Star event in the UK.

@lopprimetime

That's a curious one, and one I wouldn't have thought to come up with on my own in all honesty. But I think it would probably be pretty damned cool to see the two go head to head. AJ's another guy who I think could do with freshening up in the not too distant future.

The Brain
    That sounds like an absolute classic to be honest. Mysterio absolutely tore the house down with Ricochet and Will Ospreay in recent memory, would be super excited to see what he can do together with AJ.