Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AJ Styles

Super Moderator

AJ Styles

So, apparently, Lionheart from the UK has put out an open letter requesting that AJ stop using the Styles Clash after Yoshi Tatsu broke his neck taking it recently.

We're looking at three major botches of that move in the past year with at least two (I don't know anything about Lionheart) being seasoned pros. I heard a rumor that one that he gave on RoH TV this past week wasn't exactly pretty, either.

I'm generally against "banning" moves, but maybe it's time that AJ looks at retiring it himself. It seems as though in all three instances the move was done technically correctly, but the guy tucked his head. It's easy to say "then he shouldn't tuck his head" and leave it at that, it's another thing entirely to be a little disoriented being held upside down at the end of a match and wind up going with your natural instinct (tucking your head when taking a bump).

This isn't the first few times that it's happened either, there are a few videos of Styles Clast botches from TNA on YouTube.

I tend to side with Linoheart on this one. It's be one thing if it was a couple of untrained indy fucks tucking their heads when they shouldn't be. It's another thing entirely when at least two of the three have been around the block a few times and are both 10+ year vets.

What say you, is it time AJ put the Styles Clash to rest?

2 major injuries in under 6 months? Yeah he needs to stop doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    2 major injuries in under 6 months? Yeah he needs to stop doing it.
    This. It's simply a matter of being responsible and taking care of yourself and your peers - all this talk that I hear elsewhere about how banning moves is an assault on freedom or whatever is a distraction and minutia. If a move is causing major injuries even when performed by skilled veterans, then you should have the courtesy to not do it. It's that simple.

Edit:

I found a gif of it:

That seems brutal. I have always been skeptical about his Styles clash to be frank. Seemed difficult to ensure that it could be done safely, but it always looked like Styles knew what he was doing.
    Last edited by Allystare; 11-26-2014 at 09:25 PM.

It seems to me that it's Yoshi's fault, should have tucked his head better.

That doesn't mean AJ should not stop using it. I keep being told how much of an amazing wrestler he is, so he should be able to find another finisher.

He been doing a reverse Tombstone which hasn't hurt anyone yet and he has the Calf Killer...So not like he doesn't have other moves he cant use.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    It seems to me that it's Yoshi's fault, should have tucked his head better.

That doesn't mean AJ should not stop using it. I keep being told how much of an amazing wrestler he is, so he should be able to find another finisher.
    All three times this year that it's hurt someone has been the other guy's fault because they tuck their heads when they shouldn't. That makes it clear to me that perhaps the people he's working with largely can't take it safely and if that's the case, he can't do it safely.

It's one thing to be on the road with guys who are wrestling basically every day. It's another when you're working with guys once in a while who only wrestle once or twice a week at best.

Lionheart said that AJ never showed him or explained how to take the move to him. He took the blame for not pushing the issue but you would think Styles would try and practice with people being his move is very rarely done by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    Lionheart said that AJ never showed him or explained how to take the move to him. He took the blame for not pushing the issue but you would think Styles would try and practice with people being his move is very rarely done by anyone.
    If this is true then at the very least AJ should be going over that move with his opponents pre-match and not just trusting them to know what to do. AJ is very technically sound in the ring so I tend to believe his opponents simply didnt react/prepare properly for it, which is partially AJ's fault if he isn't making sure they are clear on what to do in that moment. When they naturally tuck their head, as that gif shows, it is bad news. And Coach is right in that they are used to tucking to protect (instinctual).

I think out of respect though AJ probably should just switch it up. His Calf Killer is fucking excellent anyways but I get the feeling, ironically, that he doesn't typically use it for the same reasons Jericho had to stop using the Liontamer. it is just simply too awesome from a kayfabe perspective.

The move is stupid anyway. I only like it off the top rope

Absolutely should retire it.

Maybe save it for really, really special occasions (matches where you could expect both guys to pull out their rarest finishers). CM Punk and Cena have done this with the piledriver most recently and, when you see that move, it really DOES seem like a huge deal. I can remember a time when there were a couple moves like that, including DDTs and powerbombs.

Styles Clash isn't that great. He should do more of the Spiral Tap

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    The move is stupid anyway. I only like it off the top rope
    You're asking for further injuries to happen. When i see it on the top rope, i'm thinking to myself "maybe bodies will be banged up worse."

Apparently he fucked up doing it to Kojima last night as well. Kojima wasn't hurt.

Also, in addition to messing it up again, apparently people are saying he went on Jericho's podcast and blasted Lionheart. Even if it was Lionheart's fault for that botch, what a stupid thing to do.

It was brought up on Talking Shop where they interview The Career-ender (Doc Gallows words exactly) The Little Neckbreaker (According to Machine Gun) AJ Styles himself.

There is even a brutal song ...

http://mlwradio.libsyn.com/talkn-shop-23-aj-styles

Squared

AJ Styles

Since debuting at the 2016 Royal Rumble, AJ Styles has rolled back the years in his WWE tenure. He's already a WWE Champion and a 2-time US Champion, and you'd have to figure on his being in a high profile bout by the time the next Wrestlemania comes around.

Even in his early forties, I don't think we're ready to talk about when AJ will be done with the company just yet. Barring serious injury or his own decision, that'll be a couple of years away. He has the benefit of still being fairly fresh in this particular company. So the real question is how will the next year or so play out for him? What are the big dream matches that they'll have in mind for someone many consider to be one of the finest wrestlers in the world today? And do you see him recapturing the big strap, or was that a one-time deal?

The Brain
    I feel like people couldn't stop talking about AJ in 2016, but now I've hardly heard a peep about the guy in 2017 except that his feud with Owens highly underperformed. I never bought into the "best in the world" reputation he's had on and off, but there's no doubt he's a highly entertaining guy. I'm kind of at a loss why WWE has dropped the ball with doing anything interesting with him, but then again I guess that kind of stop-start thing is fairly usual in this era. Hope the "start" comes again soon, for his sake, as you say he's not getting any younger.

Squared
    I've actually never seen him as a 'best in the world' either, as I always think there's a bit more sizzle than steak there. But he's certainly entertaining enough, and they should be getting all they can out of him while he's still got the ability.

AND NEW!!!!

what does the future hold for the new WWE champ after the match with Brock at Survivor Series?

Another match with Jinder and then i assume they're setting up a Nakamura program

I just hope Styles Vs Brock is as good as many think it can be. I had an interest in the purely ridiculous nature of Jinder Vs Brock because there's an element of humour in all of that for me. Styles Vs Brock seems like it's set to be a much more serious competition.

Squared
    It's a decent move doing this all things told, but given the slightly cold start for Styles is no one worried about the pattern of sudden switches with no build to guys who are themselves not especially hot? Slightly concerned here.

The Brain
    Yeah, I like AJ quite a bit but such a sudden and random title change might not do him any favors long term. I still feel like it's likely Jinder will take that title back before all is said and done.

Brock is one of the least interesting people in wrestling to me right now to be honest, even against AJ. I'll be glad to be pleasantly surprised if it goes well though. Would have LOVED to see the match happen 4-5 years ago so maybe they can turn back the clock if Brock decides to give a shit.

No one really has momentum going with this crazy survivor series build although tbh, if they knew AJ was gonna win the title and face Brock, i would have had him beat Balor. but whatever, i don't think the title change hurts AJ unless he loses it right back to Jinder... and then you're getting into hot potato and its not good for anyone. I really hope that doesn't happen. I would have AJ hold the title til mania then have him drop the title to Nak in a Mania worthy match. I could also see them going back to Jinder and having him lose the title in the Chamber. UGH

AJ is one of my favorites of all time and I'm one that loves brock but if this was 3 years ago, i'd be way more excited for the match.. Like that Brock/Punk match is so fucking awesome.... having just rewatched it and i think AJ could do even better than Punk in a match like that but I doubt they will book the match like that now.

Squared
    They'll have to do something special to get a story out of it. Been a couple of years since Lesnar has worked with anyone the size of AJ, and he's made a living from throwing far bigger people around. Getting the how AJ has a chance of winning right is going to be huge in making the match work.

The Brain
    Hard to imagine, with all the Suplex City crap. I do agree, I think AJ and Brock could have a match that rivals the Punk match in the right circumstances, but I'm not holding my breath.

i've enjoyed the suplex city stuff but it becomes a problem when you only work 8 minutes lol. AJ and Brock could do a bunch of cool counters but it probably be signature spots to start, then a screwy finish cause Jinder has to get involved.. blah. I would love if AJ and Brock got 20 mins to do some cool shit.

Squared
    I think that's as much to approximate a UFC, legitimate contest feeling as much as about motivation. Y'know, real fights don't last 30 minutes very often, and a real fight that landed anything like the punishment we see in a wrestling ring nowadays would struggle to last two minutes. But yeah, Lesnar last went 20 at the Rumble 2015, so I think they'll need to work a short story.

To be honest that kind of makes more sense, because the longer you go Brock eventually has to catch him. Keep it short and AJ can hit and run, and stay away from him.

Look at me, posting like a wrestling match is going to make sense as a contest. Aww.

I mean i'm fine with the way they book Brock but AJ is not Roman Reigns, Samoa Joe, Braun, Goldberg or even Cena. AJ will bump his ass off for Brock and you could do a fast paced 15 min match full of counters that would pop the crowd. I think doing 8 mins of Suplexes, a small hope spot for AJ and then finish just doesn't really work here.

Squared
    No, it really doesn't. But you could do five minutes of AJ staying away and countering, a couple of minutes of Brock hitting big, AJ then getting the hope spot, and then finish. I mean it's probably more 10-12 minutes than 8, but yeah, it'll have to be different from the normal Lesnar outing regardless of length. Logic dictates that if he smashes AJ for 8 minutes then AJ shouldn't be able to walk, never mind have enough a hope of winning.

The Brain
    I hate applying "real fight" logic arbitrarily to Lesnar matches. Taker/HBK can go 25 damn minutes but Lesnar against Braun goes 7 minutes or whatever? It's just more inconsistency that drives me nuts. Lesnar matches having their own special logic is another reason I'm really tired of seeing the guy. He doesn't get to just exist in his own special reality, it's a total disconnect with the rest of the roster.

Squared
    The problem, though, is that the disconnect in that case is the rest of the roster, in that it's disconnected to reality.

Take the punches and kicks back out of wrestling, work way more holds back in, and it becomes way more convincing. To go long, I mean.

But that's by and by, as honestly it's not really about logic; the logic is just to back up a way of making his matches stand out as different.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-08-2017 at 04:12 PM.

The Brain
    To me the fun of wrestling is that it's different than reality. I'm much more concerned about it being internally consistent as opposed to "real".

Squared
    I think for me the difference works best when it's contrasted more vividly with the normal, even the mundane. I guess I like the stark contrast of the larger than life with the everyday.

In WWE terms, of course, they reach for real so often when it suits and have done so through their history so many times that abandoning real also means to abandon internal consistency, which is an interesting thought for a company that also gave us the Gobbledygooker.

I honestly think the title was an audible, for whatever reason. Why spend time on Brock and Heyman appearances on Raw building and hyping the match against Jinder if they knew there would be a last minute change? Given that they only booked the title match off air in the first place, and haven't had the opposing side day a word about Styles in between times, I struggle to see a world in which this was planned until maybe last week.

Which I guess is kind of strange.

AJ managed to get Shane McMahon to do a reasonable impression of an actual wrestler at Mania. I think he can work something with Brock. Brock's best opponents since his return have been those who are smaller than him. If he can do a Punk-esque match here, rather than his hossy throwing around stuff, I think we'll be in relative business. Doesn't need to go long, anyway.

To be honest, I think this is heading for a Dusty anyway and was before the change. Probably going to see Jinder and the Singhs interfere for the DQ, then Brock beat them all up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post

To be honest, I think this is heading for a Dusty anyway and was before the change. Probably going to see Jinder and the Singhs interfere for the DQ, then Brock beat them all up.
    Yup, i think this happens. if its fun before that, cool but I'd almost be okay with a Dusty finish so I wasn't disappointed by the match itself.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I honestly think the title was an audible, for whatever reason. Why spend time on Brock and Heyman appearances on Raw building and hyping the match against Jinder if they knew there would be a last minute change? Given that they only booked the title match off air in the first place, and haven't had the opposing side day a word about Styles in between times, I struggle to see a world in which this was planned until maybe last week.

Which I guess is kind of strange.

AJ managed to get Shane McMahon to do a reasonable impression of an actual wrestler at Mania. I think he can work something with Brock. Brock's best opponents since his return have been those who are smaller than him. If he can do a Punk-esque match here, rather than his hossy throwing around stuff, I think we'll be in relative business. Doesn't need to go long, anyway.

There's not a lot here that anyone can disagree with, I think. Certainly feels like a sudden shift. They need to put more effort into making a match work, which could be to the whole thing's benefit. And yeah, still not going to have a clear winner, because honest to god where is the value in it?

Squared
    Huh, guess there was a clear winner, though it sounds like both men came out of the match with more credit than they went into it.

Has AJ done enough to convince the higher-ups in the WWE that he should be going into Wrestlemania as the WWE Champion?

@lopprimetime

I hope so. He's the only guy with serious pull on the Smackdown roster right now. He's the guy that should be carrying that brand through Mania - nobody else there is going to make people want to tune in to see the champion.

Squared
    The big issue would still be who you have him work with. But I can't argue with you. Kevin Owens is about the only other guy in the reckoning short of a return to Cena or Orton, both of whom do nowt for me.

@lopprimetime

Have him work with Nakamura and be done with it. They've barely touched on SD and it wouldn't take much to heat up Nak. They could run the same match move for move they did at Wrestle Kingdom and and it will be the best match on the show.

I can't see anyone else worthy.