View Poll Results: British? How will you be voting on 23rd June 2016?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remain

9 60.00%
  • Leave

2 13.33%
  • Don't Know

1 6.67%
  • Won't Vote

3 20.00%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The British Politics and Current Affairs Thread

It'd probably be best to deal in factual information and not get a discussion about pedophilia rolling.

This isn't the FFA. There's a reason that place is gone. I'd strongly advise adapting to posting like a normal, intelligent human being instead of as a troll, lest you also find yourself gone.

Just ask yourself if what you're posting will foster further conversation. These are discussion threads, which kinda hinge upon discussion. Not sure about the discussions you have, but some random bloke running up and yelling about kiddie diddling while simultaneously calling everyone a pussy would kinda bring the conversations I tend to have to a screeching halt.

26 letters... 26 columns... 26 days...

Squared
    Well said, Steve.

On the topic of discussion, the big talking point of the last few hours is Michael Fallon has resigned as Minister for Defence. Rumours are could be the first of many, Damien Green is thought to be vulnerable, and there's talk of a full reshuffle being necessary.

Squared
    No news on Fallon replacement yet though have seen Penny Mordaunt referred to. She seems like a safe pair of hands with her military background. Plus her gender won't hurt in the current climate.

Fair bit of Brexit news out there too. Labour won a motion in parliament to force the Tories to be more open about it. Arron Banks is being investigated to see if his contribution to the leave campaign broke electoral law. And the effect on the health service is becoming clear with the news that applications from EU nurses have fallen by 90%. So yeah, it's not getting any easier.

I mean, reportedly Liz Truss is on the list of MPs for having sex with backbenchers and researchers, so it might not be 100% secure for a woman to get the job, but yeah, certainly seems sensible.

I just read that May knew about this list three years ago and did nothing. And now she's basically sent a letter eulogising Fallon rather than damning him. Sigh.

Questionn: If Banks is found to have broken electoral law through his contributions, what does it mean for the vote itself? I'm assuming it won't change anything, but seems like a voiding of the result could be possible from what I initally read on it.

Squared
    Yeah, it isn't going to be all men on that list. And specifically Liz Truss is already out as someone who has had affairs and the like in the past, so the idea that there is more behind there isn't going to be much of a surprise. But as you say, it's going to be less likely and if you think of it purely as a like-for-like it will look a little better, whether it is or not, so from a 'playing politics' kind of a game it'd be a decent move. But not one she's taken as she's gone for Gavin Williamson - probably a less impressive appointment across the board, but a key ally in a top job.

Not seen anything to suggest that the vote itself could be overturned. All the consequences would fall on him from what I've read, whether that's a fine or police involvement. But then, it was a non-binding vote, so you don't need anything to overturn it legally. But if a court did declare it invalid on those grounds the shit would well and truly hit the fan. I don't think Labour would have a clue how to play it, and it might well be the straw that breaks the camel's back for the fractured Tories, too.

So, I was just reading that a Guardian/ICM poll just released puts Labour and Tories at 41% each. Essentially they're not moving - both have dropped a percentage point since the last poll, but there's no other competition (Lib Dems have something like 7% in third) so the two are basically neck and neck right now.

With that in mind, should Labour be doing more to highlight their differences from the Tories, particularly with regards to leaving the EU and domestic issues like the Universal Credit fiasco?

And completely separately to that - it seems like the Government is facing a few defeats on the bill regarding leaving the EU, given that a number of backbench Conservatives are against certain elements of the amendments proposed, not list the fixed date for leaving the EU of 11pm on 29th March, 2019. Does defeat on these things spur a leadership challenge amongst the party, either from the Eurosceptic side sensing that May is not strong enough to unite the party behind her or the opposite side sensing that her position is weakened by a defeat on 'hard Brexit'?

Squared
    Yeah, that sounds about right. Labour pulled ahead for a bit but I think that was inevitable with the summer the Tories had. I expect Labour will probably run level or just ahead until the next election starts to loom or the Tories change their leader, which are the only two things I can see really moving the needle.

The trouble with making more of a statement about leaving the EU is that Labour don't really want to highlight their own divisions on that any more than the Tories do....

I think the Eurosceptics would be foolish to try it. The reason May is in a fairly weak position is that there aren't enough Eurosceptics in parliament to ram it through. There aren't going to be anymore of them. Changing the leader and pushing a harder Eurosceptic agenda is just going to make more and more defeats inevitable. Their best bet is sticking with May, because she's basically promised to give them all that they want anyway. But I don't think there are enough Tory MP's on the other side for one of them to win a leadership challenge, either. It's basically a stalemate. Stick with May or see the government fall, a result that probably hands Corbyn the keys to number 10.

Not that he'll want them at the moment. From strictly political terms the best case scenario for Corbyn is the Tories stay in and make a hash of Brexit and stay at each other's throats, and at the next election Labour will look like the only sane option by comparison. If the Tories fall now and Labour get saddled with the Brexit mess, the Boris Johnson's of the world will argue that Brexit would have been fine if a 'real' Tory government had been in charge all along, and that Labour and the soft Tories are to blame.

In essence, I think the stalemate suits everybody except those Tory ministers who were remainers, but have nailed their colours to delivering a hard Brexit, like Theresa May. For everyone else there's not a great deal of value in changing. If you had a consensus in Labour about the EU it might be different, but right now I can't imagine they really want to touch it either.

Squared
    Anyone actually following Theresa May's omnishambles of the past couple of days?

Only for Trump and America being on another level of absurdism, the UK would be the premier laughing stock of international politics.

What do you expect though when you have May and Foster involved in anything.

What's your view on Arlene Foster, Prime? I can imagine, but I'd love to hear nonetheless.

Squared
    I am no expert but from the outside it seems as if she is willing to burn everything down to save her own neck. But expecting sane politics in Northern Ireland has seemed like expecting the sun to rise at night for years now.

I don't think that you'll get a deal that can get past our Parliament that'll please the DUP, so unless May tells them to sack off I don't see a deal happening. Which would be... eventful.

Push comes to shove, the DUP do not want Corbyn so why May doesn't call their bluff is beyond me. Maybe she has lost the stomach for gambling.

The whole debacle is a farce from start to finish. I can't even being making an attempt at articulating my feelings toward Arlene Foster. Most of the memes on this page do a strong job at summing them up though. https://www.facebook.com/BELFASTLAD/ Be warned, you're about to step in to a black hole of political satire at it's most base form by following that link!

I must say I like reading YouGov survey results.

I tried to find any recent polling data of Northern Ireland to see how this news is affecting the DUP's polling, but I stumbled across YouGov's most recent voting intentions survey for England, Scotland and Wales. The one that gave Labour a 3% lead over the Tories. That was the headline poll. The full details of what they asked are quite interesting. They asked each of the 2012 participants who they think should take over as leader of the party should May stand down. It shows a list of the usual suspects with Boris Johnson leading on 10% with Jacob Rees-Mogg right behind him on 8%. David Davis and Amber Rudd (4%) are next followed by a bunch of other cabinet ministers. But if you look at the breakdown by voting intention, most non-Tories want Johnson (Lab: 7%, Lib: 6%) or Philip Hammond (Lab: 5%, Lib: 10% including me). The only reason Rees-Mogg is so high is because EIGHTEEN PERCENT of Tories want him in charge!! If this is a representative sample of the UK population, that's about 5 million people that want him in charge of the country.

Laughable.