Thread: Rey Mysterio Jr.

Rey Mysterio Jr.

Various news outlets reported on the continued issues involving Rey Mysterio and the WWE, including mention of Konnan's recent "Free Mysterio" tweets. According to the gossip, Mysterio wants to go to AAA, but is stuck under contract through May of 2015 as the WWE opted to extend his contract due to the various injuries that have made him little more than a "guest star" on their programming and tours for at least a few years now.

In an ideal world, the WWE and Mysterio would agree to both make money - WWE continues to sell Mysterio's merch, maybe even become the exclusive licenser for the foreseeable future, and Mysterio is allowed to go to AAA and wrestle a match or two (if he's even capable of it). Then, maybe in time for WM31, you get Mysterio back for a proper send-off, you put out a commemorative tee-shirt celebrating his years, maybe even another DVD or something, who knows - my point is, at this point, what is the fucking point to a Mysterio/WWE beef?

It's not like Mysterio is a CM Punk or Brock Lesnar, who left the WWE with money on the table and years left to give. The WWE has made their money on his character. They can sell his mask for years to come with or without him (in fact, they're doing so right now).

Let bygones be bygones and let all of Mysterio's fans, in Mexico and US alike, celebrate the career of the greatest luchadore there ever was. Give him the storybook ending, make your money, and let the man do whatever it is he wants to do. The WWE loses nothing in the fantasy peaceful ending I'm presenting.

The Cool No. 9
    Or "Ron Mysterio" as Jericho once called him

Kinda blows my mind that he's leaving WWE for AAA most likely, I understand why completely but he seems like a real WWE company guy over the last few years.. Then again I said that about Punk

Rey can't really wrestle anymore. WWE's only reason to keep him is for Merch purposes.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    If WWE played well with others they could let Rey work for AAA and still make money.

The Cool No. 9
    Can't imagine Rey being older but he's in his forties now huh

Most didn't like his world title run but I'm glad he did it

Why does AAA even want him in a wrestling capacity? I understand that he is a huge star for the Latino demographic, but he's been inactive for lengthy periods of time in recent years, he's way past his prime, and he's sort of fell off the public mind in some ways, and his injuries seem to have taken a tremendous toll on him. I think his knees are pretty bad. I don't know how bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's in Taker territory, where he can only wrestle 2-3 more matches.

Reality Champ
    DOES AAA want him in a wrestling capacity? They want him, of course, but I have doubts that anyone would want to bring him in as more than an attraction wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post
    Why does AAA even want him in a wrestling capacity? I understand that he is a huge star for the Latino demographic, but he's been inactive for lengthy periods of time in recent years, he's way past his prime, and he's sort of fell off the public mind in some ways, and his injuries seem to have taken a tremendous toll on him. I think his knees are pretty bad. I don't know how bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's in Taker territory, where he can only wrestle 2-3 more matches.
    his knees are so bad he no longer springboard onto the ropes. That's bad.

Squared
    It's been a while since the observations above were made. Think Mysterio has done a few things since then, including a stint with Lucha Underground I believe?

So yeah, wondering how old man Rey has been keeping up since leaving the big leagues?

last match i saw him in was against WIll ospreay at a WCPW show. He's limited now but can still put on a good show. I don't know why WWE wouldn't be interested in a small Rey return. He's a legend, hall of famer and think he could really help Kalisto.

The Brain
    I've heard the narrative that Rey is limited now and I guess it's true in a certain sense, but not in any sense that prevents him from having incredibly great matches. He's long been one of the smartest and most effective guys in the world and really has no problem working around whatever injuries have built up, now that he's not chained to a punishing WWE schedule. I was ready to write off Rey when he looked so rough in his last few WWE years and kept getting injured, but he's really been a revelation and had yet another career peak over the last couple years.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, I can't recommend this match strongly enough, a top 5 match from all of last year:

He's also had great singles performances against other new faces like Pentagon and Matanza, as well as old favorites like Chavo and Johnny Mundo (AKA Morrison), as well as others and plenty of great team/multi-man showings as well. I also absolutely loved that match he had with Ospreay in the What Culture World Cup.

All things being equal I would prefer to see him stick with Lucha Underground but, since that promotion is sadly in limbo, I wouldn't be opposed to a limited WWE return, as long as he's not expected to work a full house show schedule. It's extremely apparent that WWE has totally failed to replace him as a top latino draw, with numerous attempts falling on their face (Sin Cara, Del Rio, etc).

The thing people don't always grasp around Rey is he's more than a little guy in a mask. There's something really special about him, and honestly I'd say in the 00s there was nobody more crucial to the WWE not named Cena. That might seem counter-intuitive since WWE completely flubbed up using him effectively in the main event, but if you look at overall popularity, merch sales, and his crucial ability to consistently draw both to his key demographic (latinos) and in general, he has a strong argument for the spot. Looking at Smackdown over the years especially is very telling, as he was a key factor in keeping that brand competitive, and when he was off things usually fell accordingly.

Dude is a legend, no doubt, and if WWE is smart they'll put him on a legends contract ASAP and use him sporadically as long as he can go. I think he'd be at least as valuable as Jericho on a similar schedule, if not honestly more so.

Squared
    Do people really only see Mysterio as a little guy in a mask? That's ridiculous if so. Dude was a special, special talent in his day. Sky would be the limit for him if he'd come along ten years later.

The Brain
    I mean, hopefully people see him as more than that, but there has been a tendency from WWE to look for that ONE little masked guy who can replace Rey. Hasn't gone too well, because yeah, Rey is too damn special!

Squared
    I actually rather like Kalisto as well, but agreed. I remember when I was inching my way back into wrestling after hiatus, the one match from my time away that really grabbed my attention was a Mysterio match, for what it's worth.

The Brain
    Which match was that? I do like Kalisto but I don't think he can succeed on the Rey level. That's a crazy high bar though, and I think he can have more success than he's had so far, especially if they don't ask him to cut promos. Rey barely spoke a word until what, 2005 maybe?

Squared
    It was one of the Jericho ones from 2009, wouldn't know where exactly it came up without looking it up. But it was a very well put together bout, unsurprisingly with two vets in it.

Rey's matches with Punk and Jericho feud were probably Rey's last awesome WWE matches.. had some good stuff in 2011 but really tailed off after that.

The Brain
    True, after 2011 he was too banged up to really do anything great for a while. I'd say it was about 2015 when he started resurfacing as a top performer on a worldwide scale.

Those Jericho/Mysterio matches were seriously fantastic. Love that feud.

Still baffles me that WWE haven't gone all in on Gran Metalik to be the new Rey for them. Ho hum.

As far as Rey goes, I remember being pretty low on him during that post-Jericho period, although his hair Vs mask with Punk is phenomenal. His LU stuff has certainly turned me back onto him, though.

Future HoFer? Has the contract stuff burnt a bridge?

Warrior is the HOF. Nuff said on that really. I think Rey can headline a HOF ceremony or at least be co headliner.

Still hoping for a mini last run

Squared
    Meltzer and some other places are reporting that he's either going to return to the WWE or pitch up in Impact, with the latter the more likely destination. Makes you wonder if this is part of the reason the discontented talent are being let go, to save money to pay for him.