Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PWG Thread

They didn't offer him one earlier in the year so I doubt that.

Rumor going around of Willie Mack signing a WWE developmental deal.

Finally finished BOLA '14 last night, another good show.

Congrats to Ricochet for winning.

So who's down for Young Bucks/ Second City Saints at the next DDT4?

LOL

Squared
    I'm sure some of the guys more versed in the American Indy scene can provide more details, but these guys still seem to be going pretty strong. Sold out both nights of the All Star Weekend 13 last month. Figure it's worth bumping since they've had a bit of a talent sharing deal with Ring of Honor since the thread last went cold, and it's worth discussing how the last couple of years have gone in the light of that. Probably gives them some protection against what happened when TNA started to pull all their guys from other shows.

The Brain
    PWG has pretty much locked down their niche at this point. They run the same building 10 times a year and charge big bucks to a small to cover the expense of bringing in all the major indy stars they possibly can, and since people are willing to pay they are very secure in their formula. They don't tend to use local talent much anymore, which is a shame, but as I heard it put somewhere, PWG is no longer a place you go to GET hype, it's a place to go once you already HAVE hype, if that makes sense.

The biggest barrier to PWG is their terrible, terrible distribution. It's not as bad as ROH (who has the hands down worst of any notable wrestling company), but it takes AGES for them to release their shows on streaming/download, as in literally months behind. The DVDs come out a little faster but even those are pretty delayed, and I just don't have the shelf space (or the desire) to get that much physical media at this point.

That said, they do tend to have some really great stuff each year, especially if you enjoy wrestling which is athletically on the cutting edge of what's possible. I do intend to catch BOLA before the end of the year, and I've already seen at least two other real MOTY candidates when I caught Nice Boys Don’t Play Rock N’ Roll back in March (the show was in March, I had to watch it ages after of course). Those matches are Brian Cage vs. Keith Lee vs. Sami Callihan, which was just a spectacular balls to the wall hoss fight, and Chuck Taylor & Trent vs. Marty Scurll & Zack Sabre Jr, which boasted some phenomenal storytelling in a promotion that often doesn't to put it over the top. A lot of people also loved Lucha Bros vs. Sydal & Ricochet vs. Young Bucks from the same show but I thought it was just a step below, but I'm not much into the Bucks so your mileage may vary.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    especially if you enjoy wrestling which is athletically on the cutting edge of what's possible.
    Got to ask, is this a kinder way of what I might say is beyond the limits of whats plausible?

The Brain
    You would definitely say that, Pete. PWG would not be your cup of tea.

I am STILL waiting for PWG to release a downloadable version of the Battle of Los Angeles, which took place on September 1-3. Just the worst distribution, though I'm still excited to see it when it finally comes out in a way that's sensible for someone watching wrestling in 2017.

Squared
    I understand that Ricochet (Prince Puma) is their champion, but that there's been interest from WWE for some time and that with the Lucha Underground stuff that was holding up a deal now broadcast, that he might be on his way to New York sooner rather than later. I guess there's two questions here, a general one and a PWG specific one. How well has he done, and how's he likely to adapt to WWE, and 2) how well set up are the promotion if they do lose their champion?

The Brain
    Ricochet also recently had a "graduation ceremony" in Dragon Gate, which is a pretty clear sign he's not expecting to be able to work there again in the near future, so the likelihood of NXT grows ever higher.

As for him being PWG champion, he's only held the belt for about a month and a half so I'm not sure how much quality there is to judge there. PWG runs infrequently enough that his only match so far is where he won the title, and I don't think it's been released for viewing yet (cue yet another complaint about how ungodly slow their released schedule is). Meltzer did see the match live and gave it 4 stars, if that's worth anything.

The good news for PWG is they won't miss a step if their champion leaves, especially since it's almost a certainty Ricochet would make sure to drop the title instead of vacating it. The draw of PWG within their niche is that they book the guys with the most buzz and then let them loose to have crazy matches against each other. They do a little bit with angles but for the most part the champion is almost incidental. PWG is all about the razzle dazzle in ring stuff, and there's no shortage of guys to run with that ball.

Besides, PWG Champions since the turn of the decade include Claudio Castagnoli, Kevin Steen, El Generico, Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly, and Roderick Strong, so I'm sure they're used to it by now. None of those losses have cost them their ability to sell out American Legion Post #308, and they charge enough for tickets that they can maintain that level indefinitely, at least from what I can tell.

Squared
    Tickets for Mystery Vortex 5 go on sale tomorrow but no matches announced as yet. I guess they are confident about their ability to fill the building, huh?

The Brain
    That's the gimmick of Mystery Vortex. If I recall right, they don't announce matches at all for that show but they usually go out of their way to do something good, and they don't have much trouble filling up.

Yeah PWG probably could move to a slightly bigger building and sell out routinely. I guess the downside is losing the atmosphere but if it was me, i'd try to get as many fans as I could..

The Brain
    If I'm remembering my politics right, Super Dragon shut down all attempts to move the promotion around after an incredibly stressful European tour in 2008. He and Excalibur sat down and worked out if they just stay in their niche and their building and charge x amount for tickets, they can be profitable and sustainable. Expansion always comes with risk, and it's kind of refreshing for me to see a company succeed by staying put. It's almost territory style, you know?

I will say again though, I think where they could expand without major risk is updating their distribution. It's insane how long it takes to get a hold of these shows.

If there is anything as good as ZSJ and Scurll from last year it'll be fine