Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVE 2018 WWE PPV Discussion Thread

LIVE 2018 WWE PPV Discussion Thread

Since this thread hasn't been started yet, I decided to create it. Here is where we can discuss all tings related to the 2018 Royal Rumble PPV including (and it's awesome that we now have to say this) the Men's Rumble and the WOMEN'S Rumble.

So who are the early favorites/predictions to win the Rumbles?

My early but not rock solid predictions:

Men's Winner: Shinsuke Nakamura, and he will go on to challenge the Champ who runs the Camp, AJ Styles at Wrestlemania. I think that Vince learned his lesson and will NOT have Reigns win the Rumble again. We all know that Reigns is facing and beating Lesnar anyway, so have Reigns win the Elimination Chamber in February. This way the vocal Philly crowd will not boo him out of the building...again.

Women's Winner: Nia Jax, and she will go challenge Charlotte Flair for the Smackdown Women's Title. I think that the RAW Women's title match will be Bliss vs Askua, but Asuka does not need to win the Rumble. Jax is the obvious favorite, and she should win the Rumble, but she should challenge Charlotte not Bliss. Jax matches up with Charlotte better, and optically, Jax vs Bliss looks like a squash, as Jax is listed at 6' and 240 lbs, and Bliss is listed at 5'1" and what 115 lbs?

Yes, I know that both Rumble winners will be challenging Smackdown champions, but we still have one RAW winner and one Smackdown winner. The RAW titles do not need Rumble winner challengers, but the Smackdown titles do.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Powder; 12-21-2017 at 10:22 AM.

The Brain
    At first I thought WWE had been too blah about Nakamura to give him a win like this, but then I remembered Randy Orton won last year, so blahness is not a disqualifying factor. I think that's probably the best way to go. Part of me still wants to see a Strowman win, but it sounded better when there was a possibility for him to jump to Smackdown and murder Jinder. Braun/AJ is an interesting and fresh match but I doubt they'll go for it right now, and I really doubt they would run Strowman/Lesnar again so soon.

I really have no idea about the ladies! Your pick makes sense but I feel like they could go a few different ways too. It'll be really interesting to see it go down.

I think that we are going to see Strowman/HHH at Mania. All signs point to that. To name a few: Lesnar is facing Reigns, so they are out. Ambrose is probably facing Ambrose, leaves them out. Cena? probably facing the Undertaker or hopefully Joe. And that leaves HHH as the only real guy. They also hinted at a face off at Survivor Series. AND finally, I do not see Vince giving up his Blue Chipper of Strowman to Smackdown.

The Brain
    So is Angle/HHH officially off? Because I remember that was a really strong rumor for quite a while. If not that, what is Angle doing? Is there some looming payoff with the Jason Jordan angle?

I could get into Angle Vs Jordan working a super amateur style match.

I'm lumping on Sami Zayn as your Royal Rumble 2018 winner. Just a gut feeling as I type this, but why the hell not.

I think Asuka is the right call on the women's side. Obvious, but sometimes that's for the best.

That's the feeling, we get Angle vs a heel Jordan. I know we mock the WWE for some of their lack of long term booking, but they have been doing the slow burn with the Jordan heel turn. Jordan debuted as Angle's son in July, and since then Angle has been "protecting" his son. he refuses to put Jordan in matches b/c he is worried about his health (knee), he hasn't put him in matches against Joe and Strowman out of protection.

Jordan has been getting more and more frustrated, and the constant boos he is receiving are similar to the Die Rocky Die chants, that the audience can't stand him, and rightfully so. He is a vanilla babyface that the WWE wants to push. BUT the audience quickly change their minds about him once he wrestles his matches, the guy can go, and they cheer for him that way. But once Jordan opens his mouth again, the crowd boos him terribly.

So the build to his eventual heel turn is happening and it will be good when he does it, probably after the Rumble or Elimination Chamber, and he should turn. And Angle should lose at Mania to put Jordan over.

The Brain
    I'm actually kind of happy to hear that. Unlike most, I preferred Jordan to Gable in American Alpha and thought he could have big potential. Sounds like the storyline might just pay off after all.

Still not at all a fan of Angle wrestling, but at least he'll be putting over a new talent. Oh wait... shit, Angle is probably going to win, isn't he?

Ollie, you beautiful dreamer. If Sami wins the Rumble my jaw will hit the floor, but in a good way.

The thing with Zayn is that he's a relatively fresh one on one match with AJ (I think they had a Raw bout before now, but that might actually be their only singles interaction in history), one that will keep a section of the fanbase happy, and means they don't burn (at this stage) Styles vs Nakamura. When you add in the whole Shane storyline, you then get a bit of a web tied around it too and it runs with the storylines they've set out on Smackdown over the past few months.

Plus, if WWE want to, they can then run a Kevin Owens jealousy angle and turn Sami face again (via Kevin Owens attack) later on in the year to give them another run of hot main events.

My hope is that they've learned their lesson from Mahal (which isn't a sure thing) and will start to rely on their top level talents across the year in the main event scene. Elevating Sami gives them a new face in the main event who's a reliable worker, will deliver time and time again, and can have a series of feuds.

And if you want to put Nakamura on top at some point this year there's probably nobody better (outside of Styles) to put him against than Zayn, who he had his best match since joining WWE against.

So there's a lot adding up to Zayn winning the Rumble this year, in my opinion. Pop it all into a nice Philadelphia hosted bundle, where a Zayn win is sure to go down well (even if it would get the opposite reaction to what they might be going for...) and it could (could) all work out very well indeed.
    Last edited by Oliver; 12-22-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Nakamura for me for the guys.

Rousey for the women's and goes on to face Charlotte.

I can understand and accept that Zayn should get a Top Title Run and soon, but he should not be given his first World Title shot at Mania and then win the Title there. It should be on a lesser PPV or at most SummerSlam. Mania matches are special, and Mania Title matches are even more special, and Zayn hasn't really earned that match yet. I know the response will be, well Nakamura hasn't either, but he has. He is a multiple time World Champ in Japan, and has held almost every title in NJPW. Sami still hasn't even won any title in the WWE, aside from the NXT title, and looking up his credentials, he won almost no titles in all of the minor league independents either. Zayn should get a run with either the IC or US or at least a Tag Title run with Owens first.

Now Owens should get a main event Mania match, but he will not get it either, but I would love to see Owens vs Styles.

I know Rousey is a huge name and a great "Get" for the WWE, but how can you give her a title match at Mania? If you want to see Rousey vs Charlotte at Mania, then Charlotte needs to drop the title first.

Rousey is gonna be on the card. No doubt about that. They seem to have gone away and not want to do the 4 v 4 match anymore. You already have two diva title matches and a Rousey match. One of the titles is going to be relegated to a pre show match if Rousey isn't in it. I can't see them putting three diva matches on the main card. And I can't see them wanting to devalue one of the titles after the work they've done.

Rousey should be on the card, but not in a Title Match otherwise the title she fights for (Smackdown) does get devalued. A celeb, albeit with real credentials, should not be facing the top female for the title. In a one off celeb match, hell yeah, but not for the title. McGregor/Mayweather was not for any title, so unless Rousey is committing to a full time, minimum of one year, she should be no where near the title.

I would say let the RAW title match between Asuka and Bliss open the show or be the second match.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-22-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Rousey hasn't even signed, let alone appeared, for WWE yet. Let's not jump ahead of ourselves.

WWE spent most of last year doing Owens Vs Styles for the US strap and it bled into the current Owens Vs McMahon stuff. I can't see WWE booking a rematch of that at Mania only six months after they fought at SummerSlam.

I agree, but I would love to see Owens vs Styles on the Mania card. I think the two of them can really steal the show. I just do not get all of the Nakamura strong style love. I remember the NXT match with Nak and Zayn, and it was good, but to me there was less wrestling and more trying to show "real" kicks an punches, you know, strong style.

Honestly, I think the best match that the WWE could put on for Wrestlemania would be a rematch between Styles and Lesnar. Let those guys have a month or two to really put together a match. they put on an awesome match at Survivor Series with almost no time to prepare, so now think about if they had a few months.

Hell, I'll even take a Strowman/Styles match.

My pick to win the Rumble- Shinsuke Nakamura

But who I really hope to see win- Dolph Ziggler
    Despite being in the WWE for more than a decade, he has never had a Wrestlemania moment. Now we all know that creative doesn't favor him. But even Zack Ryder had his Wrestlemania moment last year when he won the IC title.

My pick to win the Women's Rumble- Asuka

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Sami still hasn't even won any title in the WWE, aside from the NXT title, and looking up his credentials, he won almost no titles in all of the minor league independents either.
    Ok, I'm not saying Sami should win the title at 'Mania necessary, but his list of indy accolades on wikipedia is literally too long for me to even screenshot in one go. He was a top champion in the US (PWG), Europe (wXw), and Japan (DDT), along with tons of other accomplishments.

Also really hard for me to understand why anyone would call for Owens/AJ at 'Mania after they underwhelmed together over and over again earlier this same year. I like both guys but they don't seem to have very good chemistry at all.

Who are u kidding? Zayn? Nak? It is more likely that it’s Roman Reigns.
    And Jacob wrestled with God.

Squared
    Common logic is they come from Smackdown, both because Raw bossed the Survivor Series and the Feb PPV is a Raw event.

Not saying it completely rules out Reigns but it's why no one is going there now.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    That and I assume we are thinking not even WWE would be crazy enough to put Roman over in Philly AGAIN, after last time fans were so pissed they booed the fucking Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    That and I assume we are thinking not even WWE would be crazy enough to put Roman over in Philly AGAIN, after last time fans were so pissed they booed the fucking Rock.
    This and...

Roman is wining the Elimination Chamber for the privilege of challenging Lesnar.

I'm thinking Nakamura.

The way I see the card now is Reigns/Lesnar for the Universal Title, Strowman/HHH, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cena is involved in something similar to what he did this year (maybe teaming with Shane vs. Owens and Zayn)?

This leaves Nak vs. AJ for the World Title. Orton/AJ is a possibility too (and so is AJ/Nak/Orton), I guess, but I'd be shocked if they had Orton win the Rumble again.

As for the Women's Rumble, I think you have to go with Becky Lynch. I see the RAW brand getting the Rousey storyline so that'll have buzz. I'd like to see a storyline where Lynch wins the shot and her friendship with Charlotte is frayed in the build, but that its a straight-up 1-on-1 clean match. Becky wins and Charlotte turns heel in the weeks after. Charlotte's a better heel, Lynch is the better face, the WWE's "Let's Save The Best Program We Have For Later" booking is the kind of shit that almost always burns them. (See HBK's last few years in the company, the license-to-print-money Taker/Cena match they never exploited, and the uneven use of Lesnar since his return in 2012)
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

Is there anything that's happened on TV that suggests Nakamura is a viable challenger for AJ or is this wishful thinking on the fans part? Because last I checked, aside from a tease in the Money in the Bank match, nothing about Nakamura's year suggests WWE is considering him vs. AJ. All he's done is have an unmemorable feud with Ziggler, one good match with Cena and then a terrible feud with Jinder that produced two mediocre to terrible matches and nothing else worth mention at all. Hell he's even an afterthought in his current program behind Shane, Bryan, Owens, Zayn and maybe even Randy Orton, yet he's somehow supposed to rise above that and become a World Champion contender because a bunch of fans want to relive Wrestle Kingdom 10? Unless something changes quickly, that won't be the match, nor should it be. The correct choice would be either Owens (though I see little interest in that after the underwhelming summer feud they had) or Sami Zayn, who'd have just as great a match with Styles and who actually has had some positive momentum in the past few months. Even Cena would be a better option, though I understand fans will be upset about that, not to mention AJ-Cena was done to death last year.

There is no good option to me so I don't believe that Nakamura is a bad option. The only one that seems to have any juice at the moment is Roode and he's positioned in the midcard. Yes, Nak has been underwhelming but he's not feuding for the US title. He's floating above like a few others on SDLIVE. I don't want Zayn or Owens to get another shot unless the Shane nonsense is over with. Because I don't want that to ruin another AJ Match.

Yes, I do think there is at least some reason to believe Nak has a chance to win the Rumble.

I thought Nak was fairly protected in the tag match at Clash actually, compared to Orton, who took the pinfall loss IIRC.

Also, Cult, as you mentioned, it was Nakamura that was put in against Jinder Mahal in World Title matches. Now, I'm not saying this is necessarily because he was mega-over, but he was the number 3 babyface (I'm going to call AJ number 1, Orton 2, and I'm not ranking Cena because of he was kind of in-and-out all year). Granted, that's not saying much when the Brand only really had maybe 4 full-time singles babyfaces (that 4th one would be Dillinger), but whatever.

My point is - yeah, looking at the current landscape and considering that Zayn and Owens are a package deal now (just like Big E is as part of New Day despite how over he'd be in singles), I'm thinking that they're going to put AJ up against a "singles" guy - Nak fits the bill, but so does Orton, so does Corbin, so does Jinder.

The original question was who was to win the Rumble. I think it will be a SD guy because I believe Reigns/Lesnar will be set up at Elimination Chamber. As I think it will be a "singles" guy and Orton won't win again, Nakamura becomes my pick by process of elimination.
    Last edited by Josh; 12-25-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

With the general consensus being that Roman will earn his shot against Brock at EC, any chance they book Reigns/Joe at the Rumble and keep him out of the Rumble match itself?

I think they're at least heading to Roman Vs Joe at the Rumble. Whether that takes him out of the actual Rumble or not I don't know. But Joe choking Roman out to take the IC title and Roman out of the Rumble, in Philly, will surely go down well.

There is no way Reigns is losing before Mania unless it is in a severly protected manner. Vince wants him to be super strong so he can be seen as the only one who can take down Lesnar.

The only way Joe beats Reigns for the IC title will be in a multiman match where Reigns doesn't take the pin, or in a match with lots of run ins.

Honestly, I don't think Reigns taking a single loss to Joe is in any way him showing weakness.

And it's not like WWE doesn't have previous on their Rumble winners looking at the lights just before winning. Orton, Del Rio and Sheamus all took televised losses just before winning the Rumble.

I think they do want to keep Roman looking strong. I just don't think one loss to Joe, who they've built up as deadly especially with the Clutch, is really going to harm him when facing Lesnar.

I don't think a clean loss will hurt him either but I don't think there's any way WWE gives him one.

The only possible way i could see it happening is Roman is injured before the match so badly that its just a formality for Joe to pick the bones. Even that scenario rarely works cause the Super protected guy usually overcomes.. But that's how i would do it.

Its not clean really, but expecting Roman to lose a clean match is like asking Cena to lose one when he was on his rise. It doesn't happen.

With such a talented roster, the royal rumble this year could have fascinating results. Since Edge's win, every royal rumble winner has been disappointing (Batista's win is easily the worst, followed by Roman). I am a lifelong HHH fan so his win was still palatable for me. This year one can hope they'll pick someone other than Roman. Here is a list of wrestlers I'd be thrilled with if they won. Not in any particular order

1. Sami Zayn
    Although I loved him as a face, a heel Sami vs AJ Styles at Wrestlemania would be a treat. Sami has so much potential as evidenced by his stellar matches from NXT (That Nakamura match is still one of the best, most engaging matches I've seen) and WWE proper. Imaging Sami entering at 1/2 and going bell to bell ala Shawn Michaels 1995. Seriously WWE doesn't realize, they are sitting on a gold mine with Sami Zayn. He could've been Daniel Bryan #2 as far as potential goes.

2. Finn Balor
    And then he transfers to Smackdown and we get AJ vs Finn II for the WWE title. I find Finn to be extremely engaging in the ring. They have given him a great entrance and his move-set works well against almost all sorts of opponents. While I am disappointed we are not getting Brock vs Balor, at RR I think it benefits him long term. Look what losses to Brock did for Joe and Braun.

3. Kevin Owens
    Even though the chemistry between AJ and Owens wasn't quite there in their earlier bouts, I would be willing to give this another try. There is money in Brock vs Owens too, if they would use Owens as a bad-a** like he presented when he debuted in NXT or WWE. Brutal, unforgiving and savvy! The world needs a ruthless KO reigning over WWE.

4. Shinsuke Nakamura
    The fans deserve it! You can't sign the two arguably biggest names from NJPW and not give us this match for the WWE title. Heck, I'd even take Brock vs Nakamura. That would be a fascinating dynamic and could be a hard-hitting thrill ride for the ages. I do believe he needs a manager though.

5. Seth Rollins
    Seth "Freaking" Rollins needs to go back to main-eventing. He is too good to be in the mid card! He is in the prime of his life and is arguably the best wrestler in the world not named AJ Styles. Through the Dean Amrbose story-line, we all embraced him as a face and I would give major props to Dean for that. While his ring work was never in question, his character needed that little 'oomph' which he got through Ambrose. We got a lopsided Brock vs Rollins a couple of years ago but this energized, full fledged face Rollins vs Brock could be amazing! (I'd take that over Roman vs Brock any day)

6. Braun Strowman (after Brock pins Kane)
    What a wonderful way it would be to start 2018 than by having Braun eliminating everyone at the Royal Rumble. Have him be cheated out of winning the Universal title and then have him enter at number 30 to a massive pop and end up winning the match. YES!

7. Bray Wyatt
    Yes, I believe he can still be salvaged. He should've won last year but WWE can finally give him the push he deserves. I'd have him go silent (except saying RUN when he is about to enter), stop his ramblings, change his dressing, wear a mask or do anything that will dissociate from what he was. Win the rumble and slowly start a face-turn. You can build intrigue into a Bray vs Brock match.

8. Cesaro
    Yes, in 2017, even when he's relegated to the tag team realm, I'm still in the Cesaro section. The first ever Andre the giant memorial battle royal winner is STILL untouchable in the ring. Imagine Brock vs Cesaro for the Universal title. He is second only to Luke Harper as the most underutilized wrestler on the roster. I know he has been the tag team champion a number of times, but a wrestler of his caliber deserves a main event push.

9. The Miz
    A returning Miz wins ala Edge from a years ago. He deserves this accolade after all the hard-work he has put in. Brock vs Miz on paper doesn't seem all that appealing but I still think he could pull it off. The promos between him vs Heyman could be epic. There's always the option of transferring to Smackdown and if anyone can carry Miz to a 5 star match, it's AJ styles (yes I am a big fan of AJ!)

10. Samoa Joe
    Give Samoa Joe vs Brock a second try WWE. Make it more balanced this time. Oh and have him win! He is a beast! The Smackdown alternative is also amazing!

Honorable Mention: Kurt Angle
    Plenty will disagree with this, but imaging a rematch between Angle and Brock, 15 years in the making. Better yet imaging AJ vs Angle. I know Angle isn't what he was, but even in his late 40s he would knock it out of the park! I am against part-timers headlining... but it's Kurt Angle.

That's potentially 1/3rd of the 30 man roster. This year represents so many opportunities.

Till next time. Happy 2018

So who are the 10 other women who are going to be in the Rumble? The 20 other women on the roster, besides Charlotte and Alexa Bliss.

I'm guessing about 4-5 NXT women, plus some returning veterans.

Trish?
    Lita?
    Ivory?
    Gail Kim?

Squared
    I am under the impression that Gail Kim still works for Impact in some sort of backstage capacity so that seems unlikely. There is going to be some sort of return in there, you'd have to think. Trish would send the place nuts but Lita seems more likely.

@lopprimetime

TBH i don't even think Gail would get asked. Its not like she had a great WWE run. I think Trish is pretty much a lock of being in it. You don't have a ton of past talent that would get a big reaction and Trish is one of them.

Coming out of RAW I believe even more strongly that Rousey is winning the women's. And if it's not her it'll be Becky. Ain't gonna be Asuka or a RAW diva now.

I've said it before, but the only way Rousey should win is if she has signed a contract for at least a year. If not, then it is a waste.

Rousey wins the Rumble.
    Rousey doesn't wrestle.
    Rousey vs Bliss at Mania, Rousey wins.
    Rousey gets beat by Asuka or Jax at next PPV
    Rousey gone.

Stupid. AND it completely shits on all the work the Women have done to elevate their division, AND what the WWE has done for the Women.

To me, Ronda isn't like Brock in a couple key areas. First being, we don't know if she'd be a draw for WWE like Vince is convinced Brock is (even if he really isn't) and she's also a fan of wrestling. Plus, she may have been a draw for UFC but she's gotten embarrassed pretty bad the last few times she's fought... She can always go back but I don't think she has that many options left. The buzz has worn off.

What i'm trying to say is, I don't think Ronda can get away with being a once every three months performer. She needs a new career path, not a hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    To me, Ronda isn't like Brock in a couple key areas. First being, we don't know if she'd be a draw for WWE like Vince is convinced Brock is (even if he really isn't) and she's also a fan of wrestling. Plus, she may have been a draw for UFC but she's gotten embarrassed pretty bad the last few times she's fought... She can always go back but I don't think she has that many options left. The buzz has worn off.

What i'm trying to say is, I don't think Ronda can get away with being a once every three months performer. She needs a new career path, not a hobby
    That is my point exactly. The only way Rousey should win, is if she is committed to the WWE. Do we know if she has been training in professional wrestling? Has she been in the performance center learning how to be a wrestler?

Also, Rousey has a career in Hollywood if she really wanted it. She already has been 2 major movies and guested on a number of TV shows, and she is currently filming Mile 22, what ever that movie is, so she can't be currently training.

So I see Rousey as an entrant, not the winner.

I've got no interest in seeing Rousey in WWE, to be honest. I don't see the benefit, unless you're going to do a one-off Mania match and hope to keep some attention on the women surrounding her after the show.

I actually like what they did with her at the other Mania she showed up at. Just beat someone up for shit talking and then leave.

30 women in the Rumble when they only have a main roster of 20 seems an enormous leap. But if we get LayCool back I'm good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I've got no interest in seeing Rousey in WWE, to be honest. I don't see the benefit, unless you're going to do a one-off Mania match and hope to keep some attention on the women surrounding her after the show.

I actually like what they did with her at the other Mania she showed up at. Just beat someone up for shit talking and then leave.

30 women in the Rumble when they only have a main roster of 20 seems an enormous leap. But if we get LayCool back I'm good with it.
    Are you serious? You are unable to see the benefit of having someone who was the biggest draw in combat sports - by far - just a few years ago, and someone who has a massive following among women? (Which is a demographic that WWE struggles with, yet also seems to pretend they're doing great with) Tell me you're joking or drunk or something, please. The plan currently is for Ronda to do a Mania match, and there are rumors of Asuka/Ronda, which might be why she has been using her own armbar as off late. But even if she was *only* going to show up at the Rumble and do nothing afterwards, it would still be huge, it's Ronda fucking Rousey.

The benefit is obvious, and it's a lot more obvious than any of the hundreds of other shitty celebrities they've invited to their shows. Ronda also genuinely seems to like wrestling, and was a massive fan growing up (and in fact used essentially pro-wrestling promos and promotional techniques to become the biggest star in UFC, better than the WWE itself). There is nothing but upside in this.